[Mkguild] Bidding Farewell (2 of 4)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Fri May 13 12:59:05 UTC 2016

Part 2 of 4

Metamor Keep: Bidding Farewell
by Charles Matthias

May 24, 708 CR

Even with an hour of practice to wear him out
Charles did not sleep. He paced the halls of Long
House for another hour before taking a hooded
lantern and walking to the Keep's library. He did
not see Fox Cutter, the librarian, and so
meandered down the stacks. He pulled volumes off
at random, flipped through the pages and stared
at the words. A few times he stared for a minute
before he realized the script was in a language he did not know.

He eventually found a book with maps of the known
world and studied them for a time. He traced his
claws along the coastlines of Sathmore and
Pyralis; only a few months ago he'd sailed north
along those coasts; he'd never expected to see
them again, let alone so soon. Turning the pages
he found drawings of Kitchlande and Sonngefilde.
Ten years ago he'd left. Would he never again leave?

His steps carried him from the library. The
lantern light swept before him into the gloom of
the early hours. The Keep slept and all was
silent; he did not even hear any wind outside.
Exhaustion urged him to find a quiet corner and
collapse, but he kept moving. He had nowhere in
mind and for a long time nowhere is where he went.

It was still full night out when he found himself
at the Cathedral doors. Candles were lit within
and his steps drew him forward. He dipped his
finger in the font at the doorway and made the
sign of the Yew over his snout and chest, eyes
lifting to Yahshua above the altar. Tranquility
filled his face even as anguish consumed his
flesh. Charles slid down to his knees and gazed.

And prayed. There were words but not many. A
yearning trickled from his heart, threatening to
become a flood. Something held the torrent back,
but the rat did not know what. His gaze became
distracted and he stared anywhere but the Yew for
minutes at a time before he forced his eyes back
upon the visage of his redeemer. He wanted to cry
but there were no tears. Something beat at a door inside.

His eyes moved again, finding a depiction in
glass of the Holy Mother Yanlin accepting the
gift of her son. The face was typical of the
northern clime of Metamor, soft with dark hair
and white cheeks. There was no light behind the
glass and not enough before it for him to make
out any other colors. Yet a smile still touched
his snout and the tension within him eased as he marveled at her.

His final moment Beyond the clouds had opened and
through them she had smiled. Beauty, love, all
goodness, radiated from her glance, transforming
an instant to an eternity. The memory comforted
the little rat on his knees, and he was able to
lift his eyes to adore his savior hanging upon the Yew again.

His tongue moved at last, and in a whisper he
prayed. “Lord Yahshua, I am afraid. I know you
love me and your will for me is my salvation. I
know I have received graces beyond measure. Thank
you for each and every one. Thank you for my wife
and children. Thank you for my friends. Thank you
for this wonderful home. I am frightened I will
never see it again. Help me to trust your will,
Lord Yahshua, whatever it may be.”

He made the sign of the Yew again but found no
more words to add to his prayer. The anguish in
his heart still hurt, but more of an injury
healing than an injury received. He knelt in
quiet adoration, eyes tracing across the
crucified image of Yahshua for many minutes.

His ears lifted at the sound of a door opening,
and his head half-turned on instinct to see what
it was. Not far from him, one of the doors to the
residences for Father Hough and his seminarians
opened. Another rodent poked its head out and
cast a glance across the sanctuary. Their eyes
met and the jerboa Questioner's whiskers twitched
in apology. Charles made the sign of the Yew
again, rose, and walked toward the priest. Seeing
him approach, Father Felsah hopped out the door and eased it closed behind him.

The Questioner's black robes had been shortened
considerably, and now gave his long feet enough
room to hop without tangling. Small even compared
to Charles, the jerboa offered a delicate playful
appearance more likely to inspire other Keepers
to pet his ears than to tremble in fear. Yet
there was still something intimidating about him.

“Good morning, Father,” Charles said with a dip
of his head and in a quiet voice. “I'm sorry if I disturbed your slumber.”

Felsah waved a paw. “I was not sleeping. I
apologize for disturbing your prayers, Sir
Matthias. Is there something I can help you with?”

Charles reached down to his side but he had no
chewstick there to sate his nervous teeth. His
claws dug into the empty space at his leg
instead, while he stammered, “Well, I... I was
hoping Father... um... Hough... um... could hear my confession.”

A small twitch at the edge of Felsah's whiskers
bespoke a smile. “Father Hough is visiting Iron
Mine this week and next. I can hear your
confession, Sir Matthias. I have a great deal of
experience hearing confessions of a... hem... supernatural nature.”

Charles blinked and stared at the jerboa whose
head only came up to his shoulder if he stretched. “How... how did you know?”

Felsah lifted his ears and his dark eyes
brightened. “We are both rodents, Sir Matthias.
We have large ears for hearing many things. Mine
are substantial.” Charles looked at them. Both
were as long as his head from nose to neck and
almost as wide. And then the rat stifled a
chuckle; Felsah had told him a joke, one he'd used many a time before.

“Thank you, Father. I'm ready.”

“Then follow me.” Felsah hopped toward the
confessionals in a bouncing gait. Charles cast
one glance back at Yahshua before following.

----------

Kimberly woke to her husband returning from a
nocturnal haunt and collapsing into bed. It was
not the first time since the terrible night she'd
been roused by a determined skunk and forced to
fight for her husband's soul. She knew it would
not be the last. So far she had said nothing to
him; instead she clutched the purple stone
tighter to her chest and loved him through it.
With one last kiss she positioned it within her
bodice so it could be close to her heart.

The children were all still asleep, so after
attiring herself, Kimberly gently roused Baerle
and told her what she wanted. The opossum was
always ready to help tend the children and wasted
no time in helping her friend. Kimberly would
sorely miss having her along on the journey south.

After Baerle was ready, Kimberly checked on her
husband. Charles was sprawled on his chest with
only one leg under the quilt; his tail sticking
straight up before bending over and dangling off
the side. He cradled the feather pillow under his
arm and his jaws were open in a slow grinding
snore. Kimberly smiled and shook her head. She
lifted his tail and slipped it down between his
legs, and then pulled the quilt up over his back
until it just touched the tip of his ears. She
pressed the end of her snout to the top of his
head in a kiss and then left him to get his sleep.

Even as she did, her ears lifted at the sound of
a little voice squeaking. Her children were awake.

Kimberly and Baerle dressed the four little rats
and then took them to the main hall of Long House
to romp and play. The other Long children were
also up and playing various games and though they
were far too young for most of them, the Matthias
sons and daughters tried to join them. Some of
the other mothers joined them and showed them
where they could relax in comfort on one of the
balconies. Before long they were sipping hot tea,
nibbling fresh biscuits, and sharing stories of
raising children and looking after their husbands.

Most days at the Glen started in the same way. In
the Summer they would often receive a visit from
the hedgehog Mrs. Levins bearing a pie or three,
as well as any one of the many young mothers
eager to let the children play while their
husbands were off on scouting duty. Sometimes
Kimberly and Baerle would take the children to do
the visiting. And even though she did not know
the Long Scout mothers very well, it comforted her just the same.

At some point Madog appeared and started giving
her children rides as he walked around. Little
Charles and Erick demanded the metal fox go
faster, Bernadette sat like a princess, and
little Baerle had to be coaxed to stay on his
back. Kimberly touched the polished purple stone,
enigmatic gift of the mage Murikeer, through her
clothes and knew her Charles would love to see them playing together.

Not long after, and after they finished a third
round of biscuits and a second round of tea, one
of the mothers, a short white-furred Terrier
named Sylia, pointed toward the main hall and
murmured. “It's the Steward! I've never seen him come to Long House before.”

Kimberly turned to see and felt a warm delight
touch her heart. Garbed in his usual red robes
strode the large green-scaled alligator who was
Steward of the House Hassan. Thalberg looked
around with his yellow eyes atop long blunt-nosed
head, long tail almost dragging behind his
laconic steps. “Oh, excuse me, I must go see him.”

She passed the rabbit Padraic on the stairs down
who tried to stop her. “Milady, there's somebody...”

“I know!” She called back before hurrying down to
the main hall. When she emerged she moved as
swift as her feet would carry her without ruining
her balance as the Steward had taught her. He saw
her coming and took a few steps toward her before
lowering his reptilian bulk to one knee. He still was a head taller.

“Milady Kimberly,” he said in his basso rumble.
“I've come to wish you a safe journey. Is there
anything I can do for you and your family to help you on your way?”

“Milord Steward,” she laughed, breathless, and
almost startled. Until moving to Glen Avery the
year before, she had spent her days working in
the Keep's kitchens preparing meals for Duke
Thomas and all his household. The hours were long
and mistakes were not tolerated; Thalberg ruled
the kitchens and he expected only the best from
all. And while he had never been unkind, and
often showed consideration for times when a loved
one was ill, there had always been a hardness in him which kept them separate.

She'd seen there was a gentle pride in the
alligator on her wedding day when he had acted in
the stead her own father would have refused her,
bringing her to the altar to give her to Charles.
Now she saw it again, though this time it felt
natural, as if his hard edges had already been
worn smooth by something else. Even if the rat in
her wanted her to flee from a monstrous face
filled with fangs, the lady in her saw the
nobility and chivalry in the man behind the yellow eyes.

“Thank you for coming, milord,” she said, smiling
and lowering her eyes as she returned his
greeting. “In truth I do not know if I need
anything. Whatever seems best to you for my
family's sake will be more than enough. I am just so glad you came to see us.”

“Then I will see to it you are well provisioned for your journey.”

Kimberly gasped. “But it will take us many months
to reach Sondeshara! Surely you cannot spare so much!”

A laugh seemed to echo in Thalberg's yellow eyes.
“Easily and more, milady.” He reassured her with
a slight but warm smile which was all he could
proffer without an undue display of numerous
teeth. “Where Metamor has friends, you and your
family have friends too. This much I can do.”

Kimberly marveled at him, at a loss for words.
What words could express her gratitude? Instead
she stepped forward and threw her arms about him,
hands griping the ridges along his back even
through his robes. Thalberg's heavy scaled arms
gently held her. She could feel the underside of his jaw between her ears.

When they parted, she said, “You love her, don't you, milord?”

“Pardon?”

“Miriam. Your lady alligator. You love her.”

Thalberg stammered, the first time she ever
recalled seeing the Steward of Metamor
embarrassed. “Well, I... uh... I have been
helping her... being an alligator... I...” And
then he seemed to realize what he was doing and
let out a rumbling laugh so deep his robes fell
open at the front, exposing some of the broad
yellow scales at the top of his chest. “I
suppose. I care for her very much.” His eyes
became reproving. “I suppose your friends in the kitchens have been gossiping?”

“Aye,” Kimberly admitted with a little laugh.
“But I didn't need to hear it from them to know.
I can see it in you, milord. I can see you love a
woman; they just told me her name.”

For a moment it seemed Thalberg would object or
take offense, but then his eyes brightened again
and a chortle filled him. “Ah, Kimberly, you have
been missed in the kitchens. I will pray the gods protect you on your journey.”

“And I will pray for you and Miriam.”

Thalberg lifted his eyes and his jaws opened in a
reptilian grin. “Now, I do have a few minutes
before I must return. I would very much like to
see your delightful children again, if I have your permission.”

Kimberly couldn't help but imagine Thalberg
tromping around as a full alligator with four
rat's on his back. “Of course. Come with me, milord!”

----------

Everything was arranged, but there was still so much left to do!

Malger had not hesitated to agree to Duke
Thomas's request. It necessitated little change
in travel arrangements but the imposition was
small and would perhaps allow matters to work
more favorably. Even so, he spent the better part
of the rest of the day seeing to the arrangements
with his caravan master, the bison Hesgebaern.
While Hesgebaern would not be accompanying them
beyond the port in Menth, the bison was well
acquainted with provisioning long voyages and
offered advice on what to take and how much.

And Malger spent all of the next morning writing
various messages to ensure those careful
arrangements were kept. Hesgebaern had been sent
to inspect the wagons Julian and the other rats
provided – which Charles insisted on using – with
Versyd in tow to help inspect the horses. Malger
was fairly confidant he knew what Versyd would
suggest and was open to the idea so long as it did not offend the rats.

The stallion would also remain behind while they
journeyed, to continue his training in Metamor.
It eased the already considerable number of
Metamorans crowding onto one boat, and eased the
stallion's rather pointed dislike of water travel
in general. He had become a horse to keep the
ground under his hooves, he explained, his
distress barely hidden under his respectful tone,
not to sway hither and thither on the water.
Apparently, Malger discovered, the horse became
horribly seasick even on relatively calm lake
waters. The skunk mage Murikeer had also demurred
respectfully stating his desire to establish
himself in Metamor before charging off on another youthful adventure.

Thus it would be only Misanthe remaining at his
side, and the trio of sea birds who he'd retained
as messengers. And two of them would need to leave.

Malger, his work now done, offered the trio a
satisfied smile. The Keep had provided him
expansive lodgings suited to his station with
windows looking across the Keep's towers at the
Duke's residence. The furnishings were spare as
if Kyia had known Malger would prefer to populate
them on his own, but at least there had been a
writing desk and cushioned chair suitable to his
wiry frame. In this chair he turned, affixing the
final seal and slipping the letter into a
protected pouch one of the birds could wear on their chest.

“This letter must be delivered to Captain Calenti
of the Dolphin's Leap. She's a Kasshet hull
moored in Menth; you'll recognize her by the
leaping dolphins on the prow and mainsail. I and
our friends will be leaving by wagon and carriage
tomorrow and should arrive in a week's time. But
because there may be delays or other
communication, I want two of you to go to Menth
together, while the third remains here. This way,
if Calenti needs to send me a message, he'll have
one of you to send, and another to remain in case
a message is missed. As to who stays and who
goes, I leave it up to you. Choose, my friends,
for this message must be delivered without delay!”

Perhaps a bit theatrical for a simple message but
his performance pleased the brothers. All three
were in their largest anthro forms at Malger's
request; they had spent so much time among real
birds they'd adopted their mannerisms. Having
three pairs of webbed-footed beady eyed birds
watching his every move made him wonder if they'd
snatch a morsel of dropped bread from the floor
should he dare. He had every intention of putting
to full use their comfort in avian guise, a
comfort he did not yet share. Malger had very
seldom attempted to assume the minor form all
animal cursed Metamoran's could grasp; he felt
keenly vulnerable being so small. Nor had he
sought the bulky quadrupedal 'taur forms he had
seen others practice. He was comfortable in the
bipedal form he had been given which was more than satisfactory for his needs.

It was bad enough Misanthe still ran around on
all fours. What would people say if all of his servants were always animals!

Quoddy the gull and eldest, turned his beak back
and forth between his brothers and said, “Shall we play Earth, Air, Water?”

Machias the puffin and youngest of the three
almost danced on his webbed feet, his colorful
beak cracked into what Malger had learned was the
avian equivalent of a grin. “Sounds good to me! Winners go or winner stays?”

The middle brother, Lubec the black-feathered
cormorant, shrugged his wings. “With three
players it always easier if winner stays.”

“Winner stays it is then,” Quoddy nodded, and
then he leaned his head forward and closed his
eyes. His brothers framed him and did the same so
their beaks were nearly touching. “One, two, and
three!” Quoddy tilted his head back, beak
pointing up. Machias and Lubec lowered theirs.
They all opened their eyes, and Quoddy squawked.
“Hmmm, I win! I guess I'm staying then.”

Malger laughed and waved one hand. “I have never
heard of this game. What just happened?”

“Earth, Air, Water... it's something we came up
with after our first year with the flocks,” Lubec
said, turning his head form side to side as if
working out a tight muscle. “Quoddy picked Air
and we picked Water. We fly in the Air, feed in
the Water, and sleep on the Earth. You cannot eat
if you do not fly, so Air beats Water. You cannot
fly if you do not sleep, so Earth beats Air. And
you'll never wake up if you do not eat, so Water beats Earth.”

“And for Earth you just hold your beak out
straight like this.” Machias leaned forward slightly to demonstrate.

“So do we need another round to determine who
will carry the message?” Malger asked, lifting
the pouch, an amused chuff escaping his throat.

“Machias can have it,” Lubec offered with a
stretch of his wings. “I carried the last one so it's only fair.”

Machias and Lubec shared parting wing-hugs with
their older brother and then both shrank down to
normal bird size. Malger helped secure the pouch
on the puffin's chest and then both puffin and
cormorant jumped from the window into the air,
wings spread and beating. A minute later they had
climbed high enough to orient themselves and
began flying away to the south. Quoddy watched
them go until they were well out of sight. He
turned at last and asked, “Is there anything you need of me, then, your grace?”

Malger swept his arm across his desk and then
leaned back on the chair, propping his feet on an
ottoman. “For now, we relax until Hesgebaern and
Versyd return. And then we can attend the
farewell gathering Sir Misha Brightleaf is
hosting at Long House for Sir Matthias and
family. I expect all of us to attend. And as human as we can be!”

A little fox's voice replied from beneath the chair. “Of course, Ma... Malger.”

Malger chuffed again and daydreamed how
attractive Misanthe his vixen would look in the
gown he had commissioned which he had yet to present to her.

----------

Charles woke a little before the noon meal so
broke his fast with his family, his fellow Longs
and their families. Misha had left to attend to
some errands in the morning but the Longs assured
Charles he would return in the afternoon. With
nothing more to do he spent some time practicing
with the other Longs and playing with his
children. He dueled swords with his two sons
using wooden practice staves, and then after
letting himself be killed a few times, sat down
with his little girls who were pretending to
share tea and biscuits with their fabric dolls. A perfect afternoon.

He excused himself when Misha returned. The fox
looked weary, with one ear lowered, and both eyes
drooping, but he became alert when the rat
neared. “Ah, you did finally wake up! Lady
Kimberly told me you did not come to bed until nearly dawn.”

“I've not had an easy time sleeping of late, and
thought of leaving Metamor only made it worse
last night. I should sleep better tonight.”

“I know I asked last night, but I must ask
again.” The fox put a hand on the rat's shoulder;
Charles felt the slight prick of claws through fur. “Must you really go?”

“Aye, I must. If I have any hope of coming back here, I must go.”

“Then will you not take one of my sister's gems?
They would allow us to communicate and make sure you are all right.”

“I thank you for the offer, Misha, but I know you
only have a few of those stones. They are better
used here at Metamor to keep the valley safe. We
will have messengers if the need to send a
message is dire. And there is nothing you could
do to help us if our need were immediate. It is a
four month journey by boat; not even a dragon
could attempt the distance in less than a few
weeks. No, Misha, keep them here where they do the most good.”

The fox sighed and shook his head. “I know you're
right, Charles, but I don't like it. You've just
returned and here you are leaving again.”

“Believe me I would rather stay. I was looking
forward to a quiet Summer with my family. Now...
now at least I'll have them with me, but it will
be dangerous like nothing I faced before.”

Misha offered him a dubious look. “Hordes of hell creatures dangerous?”

Charles chortled and shook his head, thumping his
tail once for emphasis. “Well, not that dangerous!”

“Heh. I know you mean more dangerous for your family.”

“My children especially. I cannot help but think
of all the dangers waiting for them out there,
and they unaware! You and everyone else laughs in
delight to see them romp through Long House, but
you have no idea the heroic efforts of Lady
Kimberly and Baerle to keep them from hurting
themselves and to teach them how to behave. And
they have still bruises and cuts and any number
of bonked heads or pinched tails. Bruises and
cuts are part of childhood, but an inch more to
the left or the right, and it could have been
broken bone or stitch-worthy gash! I am more
afraid watching them play than I am in battle!”

“I don't doubt it. Laura, Meredith, and the other
Longs with children have all warned me of the
same. I know I caused my own dear father and
mother some exasperation. But on a ship there
will not be many places for them to run, and
there will be many others, including some of your
friends there, who can help keep an eye on them.”

“And much they can learn. It is the right choice,
but ah!” Charles glanced to where his children
were playing with the other Long children – some
game of tag he thought – and then back to his
friend. “Misha, thank you for letting me fight by
your side one last time before we must part. I
dearly hope I will be able to do so again.”

Misha gripped his shoulder and his jowls drew
back in a vicious grin. “And thank you for
fighting by my side. We will do so again even if
I have to fly to Sondeshara to do it!”

“You would be most welcome.” Charles put his hand
on the fox's shoulder too. The two warriors
regarded each other, grips tight, muscles tensed,
eyes alight with an eager fire. Though it had
only been two years they had known each other,
each felt the other had his been his friend for
two decades. For a moment, Charles regretted his
refusal of the communication gem. “I have an
idea; let us practice together and promise to do so again in a year.”

“Will you be back in a year?”

“We might be a month or two delayed if we do
return,” Charles admitted. “But we'll have
messenger birds with us to warn you of our
coming. And if I am not allowed to leave
Sondeshara for a much longer time, well, we still
have messenger birds and dragons!”

Misha pondered for a moment before his only ear
lifted and a determined grin crossed his snout.
“It is agreed! Come, let us choose weapons for each other.”

“Eh?”

The grin became mischievous. “Well, we have to make it interesting, do we not?”

The rat laughed and stepped after his friend. “By
all means. Choose for me and I shall choose for you, fox!”