[Mkguild] Bidding Farewell (3 of 4)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Fri May 13 13:00:08 UTC 2016

Part 3 of 4

Metamor Keep: Bidding Farewell
by Charles Matthias

May 24, 708 CR

Jessica and Weyden were the first to arrive at
Long House for the gathering of friends. They had
the privilege of witnessing fox and rat fighting
with weapons ill-suited to both. Misha wielded a
practice trident whose three points were blunted
and whose shaft was so long it was clear it had
been intended for a Keeper of much greater
height. Charles had a pole and net which while a
good size for tripping up Lutins, could never
hold anyone of the fox's size. The rat easily
dodged the fox's awkward jabs, and the fox deftly
avoided the rat's swirling snares.

The battle, which was welcomed with raucous
laughing and cheers from the Longs and their
other friends, came to an end when Charles caught
the trident in the net and yanked it out of the
fox's grasp. The heavy shaft struck the rat in
the middle and knocked him off his paws. Both fox
and rat spent the next minute laying on the ground laughing.

“Well,” James said as he collected trident and
net, “it looks like you both need more practice.”

“I don't think anyone has ever used these weapons
before,” Laura noted as she took the net form the donkey

Meredith claimed the trident and turned it over a
few times in his heavy hands. The weapon was a
good fit for the bear's size. “Hmmm, I'll have try this myself.”

Weyden hopped to the bear's side and extended a
wing-arm. “There's much you can do with a
trident. This might be a bit heavy for me now, but let me show you.”

Meredith handed the trident to the hawk. Weyden,
despite not having proper hands, was able to grip
the shaft with the wing claws he did have. He
turned it over a few times before demonstrating
some jabs and parries for the curious bear.

Jessica bent down to peer at the laughing rat.
Her golden eyes twitched in avian precision as
they followed the rat rolling back and forth.
Eventually Charles came to a stop and waved up at
her. “Jessica! What did you think of the fight?”

“You and Misha had a very good time.” She
squawked and stretched out a wing to help him up.
Charles let her pull him up to his haunches and
then he let go. “I'm sorry we haven't had a
chance to visit you since it all ended. We were
sent on patrol down south; nothing happened but
its our duty. I'm very glad to see you and your family doing so well.”

“Thank you. How are you and Weyden doing?”

“Very well. He misses being captain of his men,
but I know in time he'll earn a new command of
his own. I have picked back up my notes to see if
there is anything I can do with the Curses again;
with Yajakali gone for good now, they're finally safe to look at again.”

“Does Maud still want to be a giraffe?”

“Well, Larssen would like her to be at least!”

“Do you think you can do what you once did, without a hyacinth?”

Jessica tilted her head to one side and tightened
her eyes. “I don't know. The corruption gave me
knowledge I never would have seen on my own. I
wrote some of it down, but even the little I have
seems cryptic to me now. Perhaps some of the other mages can help decipher it.”

“Maybe they can.” Charles glanced at Weyden, on
whom were most eyes in the Long House. The
trident was still too long for the hawk, but it
didn't seem so in his grip. He darted the tip in
and out, spun it on its axis, and explained each
action as he did so. Padraic and Meredith both
found themselves disarmed after one volley, each
rubbing their smarting hands after the sword was twisted from their grip.

The rat smiled to the black-feathered hawk. “But
what about you and Weyden? How are you doing?”

Jessica cawed a laugh and her eyes, darkened by
uncertainty over the Curses, now filled with joy.
“Oh, we dearly love each other, Charles. We hope
you will get to meet the first of many little
hawk children on your return in a year.”

“I wish you both all the best and for many
healthy chicks.” The crowd roared with laughter.
Both Charles and Jessica turned to see Weyden
gaping at his empty claws and then at Misha. The
fox held the pole with the net; the net was
tangled in the trident's blunt points which now
lay inoffensive on the floor. Weyden shook his
head and offered the fox a salute.

----------

The gathering of friends was mostly cheerful.
Many would take their turn sampling unusual
weapons and battling anybody who dared. All of
the Longs participated as well as most of their
guests. There were a good number of bruises and a
couple small cuts but nothing more; as much as
they could everyone restrained their blows.

Some would gather to watch and cheer on their
friends, while the rest would mingle and chat,
catching up on the joys of life. The children
romped freely as they had all day long, stopping
only to beg of the refreshments, each eager for
the sweetest to be had. Misha had purchased a
large number of pastries from the baker, though
neither he nor many of the Longs ever had a
chance to taste one as they disappeared down
young mouths faster than their mothers could reprove them.

Kayla arrived not long after the first food
delivery was made, and after giving Charles and
Kimberly firm hugs, asked if there was anything she could do to help.

“If you have any of those detailed maps we could borrow, aye,” Charles replied.

“Not of the Southlands, no. Will it even be safe to journey near Marzac again?”

Charles shrugged. “I can only hope it will be. If
not we'll be forced to circumnavigate Kitchlande
and I'll be delayed another year; and who knows
if Jerome can hold out so long. The other choice
is to attempt a land crossing through Boreaux in
northern Kitchlande, and with a group as beastly
as we are, such a crossing would be very dangerous. Where's Rick?”

Kayla laughed and twirled her long, striped tail.
“Oh, off killing things like he wanted.” In a
quieter voice she added, “If all goes well, he
may be away for the entire Summer. There's a
chance he could help the free men of Arabarb
reclaim control of the pass into the Giantdowns.
After being kept an invalid so long, he sprung at the chance.”

“Truly? I suppose they need it but... don't you miss him?”

Kayla nodded and her eyes took a far off cast. “I
do. But he needs this. He may think he's a rogue,
but even Rickkter needs to be the hero!”

Charles tipped back his head and laughed long and hard.

Not long after the skunk arrived the final
companion on their journey to Marzac arrived.
Lindsey had not yet learned how to take a human
form, and so the new dragon landed on one of the
balconies to the screams of several ladies who
had gathered to enjoy the afternoon sun. The
screams turned to cautious laughter after Lindsey
announced himself and apologized. He even shared
a sip of tea with them before continuing down to
main hall where his friends awaited.

“Oh, Lindsey, you look so handsome as a dragon!”
Jessica crowed as she hopped around him, bright
eyes admiring his vermilion-touched scales. Kayla
gave him a firm hug around his neck, mindful of
the pair of ivory-white horns sticking out the
back of his head. He leaned back on his haunches
to return the skunk's hug, and then gave one to the excited hawk.

“Thank you, Jessica, Kayla. I am so glad to see
you both well, and to see you again! Who would
have ever thought I would actually be a dragon!”

“It suits you well,” Kayla assured him. “Your eyes are still you.”

Jessica looked him up and down and then seemed to
breathe a sigh of relief. “I don't see the child
spell I cast on you anymore. I was afraid it might have become permanent!”

Lindsey busied himself giving both Charles and
James a firm hug when the rat and donkey came to
see their friend, before turning back to the hawk
and tilting his crocodilian jaws to one side. “I
did have a sudden growth spurt a few weeks ago,
but my brother tells me I am the proper size for
a dragon of my age. Whether your spell or no, I
have another childhood to live through, and a much longer one too!”

“How long?”

Lindsey pulled his long tail in around his feet.
“Another thirty years I fear. I have a dragon's
life now. My brother tells me a time will come
when I will learn how to make friends with those
whose lives are a blink of a dragon's eye. I will
see your families blossom and flourish for many
generations. I don't know how I should feel about
it yet. Just thinking of it makes me sad.”

Kayla and Jessica both hugged the dragon tight,
while James and Charles grimaced. The donkey, in
a low voice, murmured, “Well, I suppose you can
tell all of our grandchildren and their grandchildren about us.”

“And I know,” Charles added, “I will feel better
knowing one of my dearest friends will always be
there to watch over my descendants. Somebody will
need to keep them from straying!”

Lindsey nuzzled skunk and hawk before offering
rat and donkey an anxious glance. “I'm not sure I
am up to so great a challenge, but it is
something. Phar did say to befriend families.”

Charles cast a glance at the entrance to Long
House and smiled anew. “Speaking of which, here
is another friend to our family who comes to our
aid once more.” All of their heads turned and
they saw a familiar marten accompanied by a
beautifully dressed vixen make their entrance.
Despite his reputation as a showman and a fop,
his attire, while still extravagant with gold
brocade trimming at the cuffs and collar and
clashing scarlet doublet and green tunic, felt
restrained. Charles saw in it a simple message;
Malger was a noble and expected to be treated as
such, but one who knew he was only a guest of
another man more highly regarded than he. And of
the latter, Malger did not appear to mind.

The rat wasted no time in going to greet him. His
Marzac friends came, each of them also owing a
debt of gratitude to the Archduke. “Your grace,
welcome to Long House,” Charles called, offering
a sweep of one arm toward the hall, and then open
arms to embrace the man he owed more than he dared admit.

Malger smiled, and gave the rat a polite but
genuine hug before leaning back and nodding his
approval. “The Keep has created quite a fortress
within itself! I have heard the tale of the
defense mounted from within these walls against
Nasoj's wintry assault. I am grateful to see even
this part of it tonight. It is even better to see
each of you again. It seems so short a time ago
we crossed the seas from a doomed land to return
home. Of course, you know Misanthe.” The vixen,
garbed in a gown of vermilion to match Malger's
raiment which complemented her russet fur,
curtsied with a blush of her backed ears.

Charles inclined his head toward the vixen. “You
look beautiful. Thank you for all you will be doing to help us on our way.”

Misanthe seemed a little uncomfortable being
treated above what was once her station. Raised
as a servant little better than a slave in her
home country now to be treated as a nobleman's
lady left her terribly self-conscious. “I am glad I can help, Sir Matthias.”

“Lady Kimberly was hoping to speak with you when
you arrived. I think she is going to ask you to
help keep watch over our children.”

Misanthe's ears twitched, whiskers drooping as
she frowned and cast her eyes down. “It has been
many years since I have had the care of children,
sire.” Her small hands turned to wave across her
body. “Not since becoming... this, at all.”

Charles nodded his head, understanding her
reservations. “Malger trusts you, milady, and we
trust him. He speaks quite well of you, almost to
the point of exasperation at times.” He smiled
and reached out to touch her arm lightly with the
tips of his fingers. “You will also be the only
other woman on our voyage. My wife does not wish to be alone in a sea of men.”

Kayla extended an arm to the vixen. The skunk's
tail brushed against the fox's and her jowls
lifted to reveal little white fangs. “Come now,
Misanthe. Trust me, these four are the sweetest
little children you will ever meet. And Lady
Kimberly a dear friend you'll never wish to lose.”

The vixen nodded slowly with a timorous lift at
the corners of her muzzle. “I am not
uncomfortable around children, no. The least
years at the crèche are spent caring for and
training the youngest, it is not a task difficult
to me. But, ahh, I am a fox and they... well...?”
She cast a glance toward Malger and then over to
Charles. “You would trust me with your children, sir rat, and your Lady?”

Charles actually laughed warmly and nodded.
“While some are taken by the instinctive desires
of their new selves, they are few. And Malger
tells me you have conquered it even so, being
able to speak while in your smaller form. So aye,
I am willing to trust you with my children on his
grace's assurance. My lady wife will be much
comforted to have another woman along, for company if nothing more.”

“The Lady Kimberly is here, if you would like to
meet her, as are the children.” Kayla waved a
hand toward the far end of the hall.

Misanthe smiled to the skunk, following the
motion of her hand and said, “I have met them
once before; briefly.” Taking a short breath she
glanced at Malger who offered a gracious nod and
slight motion of one hand, releasing her. The
vixen let the skunk lead her to the other end of
the hall where the children were at play and
their mothers and some of the other Longs were watching them.

Charles smiled after them before turning back to
the marten. “And how are you faring, Malger? Is all ready for our departure?”

Malger clasped his hands behind his back and
watched as Misanthe was introduced to the
children and Lady Kimberly across the hall. “As
much as any such things can be ready for a
journey.” He offered with a slow now, whiskers
lifting as he smiled. One of the young rats,
whose name he did not yet know, unabashedly asked
to be picked up by the fox while another of
darker hue and in a girl's dress immediately
latched onto the vixen's tail. He turned his
sober gaze on the rat beside him. “The Duke was
quite interested in our itinerary and well
pleased we are expanding outward despite the
limitations of our rather unorthodox appearances.
It will be our greatest challenge, I think, as well our greatest asset.”

“Asset?” Charles asked with a lift of one brow,
his round ears pricking forward.

“Indeed. We will be remarkable. Indeed, beyond
remarkable. The curious will listen to us as they
might ignore others passing through. Even without
the weight of nobility I will bring we would find
ourselves treating with the most powerful
personages in the cities we pass through, for the
simple sake of curiosity.” His whiskers twitched
with a momentary tightening of his lips. “And
fear will also dog our paws. Fears of the
different, we dread skin-changers of Metamor.
Fear exploited for advantage. Politics, always.”

Charles chuckled ruefully as he turned his own
gaze toward his children. Little Charles stood
before Misanthe, who held Erick in her arms while
letting Bernadette explore the comparison of her
fox tail versus rat tail with the patience of a
saint. His eldest child asked Misanthe something
with an expression of bland seriousness which
made the fox's ears twitch forward before she
glanced at Kimberly who was similarly surprised.
At the vixen's nod Charles assumed it was
something about the trip, or some other
unexpected question she could answer
affirmatively while Kimberly looked on with a
slight look of self-conscious discomfiture.

“Thomas asked me to convey some diplomatic
overtures here and there on our journeys, in
those cities we expect to resupply at. Thalberg
has already arranged supplies for us while
leaving Metamor, and if his boasting is to be
believed, generous prices in several cities along the way. ”

“Politics I leave to you, sir minstrel.” Charles
offered with a sardonic glance and a shrug. The
machinations and maneuvering of the royals was
something he had been trained to be familiar
with, as he had to understand them to be able to
infiltrate their circles on various missions for
the Sondeckis, but it was still something he had
little stomach for all the same. Malger had been
raised to it and would by far be the better diplomat.

Malger went on with a momentary twitch of his
whiskers at Charles' droll rejoinder. “I will be
hiring on at least one or two more flying
escorts, hopefully larger ones in the event
anyone needs to be transported swiftly. Two
dragons will suit us very well simply by being
seen, to keep would-be pirates at bay, but
another one or two would be useful. If any can be
found they'll meet us at the port with our ship.”

“I might carry a child, but not a full grown
man,” Lindsey objected. Malger blinked as he
turned to see the young dragon reclining just
behind them. Peripherally he had been aware of
the company, but he had not realized who the reclining reptile was.

“Ha! You are smaller than I expected. After
meeting your brother I expected you to be larger
as well. It is a good thing I elected to hire
another flyer or two. No offense intended to you, Master Lindsey.”

“None taken, your grace. I am still new to being a dragon.”

“And what of Jerome?” Charles asked. “He could be
a challenge, I fear. He is fearsome of
countenance and I am unsure how well he would be
accepted, even after the shipmaster and his crew
is presented with us at it is.” What he would not
say was his fear of how Jerome would accept the
cramped confines of a sea vessel.

“Is not Lindsey's brother capable of carrying him?”

“Pharcellus?” Charles tilted his head at the
question. “I imagine so. He flew Jerome down to the Glen, after all.”

“A week's journey,” Lindsey pointed out. “And
Phar has spent most of his time since resting.”

Malger nodded to both rat and dragon. “Perhaps,
at least until the crew is used to us, he might
stay aloft during the day.” It was not a question
but an option, one Charles would have to
consider. It would be easier than trying to
conceal Jerome in the hold or whatever the ship
had for cabins. He made a mental note to ask
Pharcellus about it when he saw the dragon again.
“If whomever else we manage to hire are amenable,
many of the smaller travelers can fly as well. It
will put more eyes aloft where they would be
useful, and ease some of the crowding on the ship.”

Charles pondered and then laughed with a shake of
his head. “Whom among us would desire it, sir?
You? I would have no issues with it, but I
daresay neither my wife nor children can offer
much for eyes, even should she allow it.”

“A dragon's back in the sky would be far safer
than a ship in a storm, I daresay.” Malger
countered with a smile, rocking lazily on his
booted paws. “But I understand. Misanthe is
smart, very adaptable, and rather amazingly
brave, but I have not thought to ask her what she
thinks of being so far off the ground.” With a
tilt of his head he glanced at Charles. “She
actually attacked an assassin who had caught me
exposed and unable to react, did I not mention?
Tore her throat out with her own teeth and saved
my skin, and took a blade for it. Before I had
even come to realize what had just happened, she
bit the hand of another who sought my death.” The
marten rubbed the left side of his chest at the
memory. “In the span of less than a score of
breaths she saved my life twice. So, never fear,
my friend. She will defend yours as fiercely as any parent.”

“Two?” Charles' brows shut up and he threw a
glance at the petite fox surrounded and partially
buried by several children. “With her teeth?”

“Well, she did have a stiletto, but... for the
most part, yes.” While the female and children
got to know each other Malger told the lengthy
story of Misanthe's apparent death and
reappearance in the moments before Malger would
have died at the hands of an implacable foe.
Charles, Lindsey, and James listened with rapt attention.

----------

The gathering continued for many hours. Stories
were shared and old adventures relived. Food in a
variety of breads, cheeses, meats, and fruits
were sampled with great delight. Both ale and
wine disappeared from the larders. The children
scarfed sweet pastries with their meat and cheese
and washed them down with fresh milk. Charles
moved between his friends, making sure he spent
some time with each. He also spent a little time
playing with his children and helping them play with Lindsey.

As much as he enjoyed spending one last evening
with his friends, he felt the hour keenly. In
another day's time he would not even be able to
see the towers of Metamor anymore, and would not
again for at least a year. He thought he'd
managed to say goodbye to everything yesterday,
but the Keep itself remained. He caught himself
touching the walls as he passed and trailing his
claws across the stone. He'd already said goodbye
to his beloved home in Glen Avery. Why was leaving the Keep so much harder?

He found himself walking the balcony with Misha,
a goblet of wine in one hand, while the rest of
his friends commiserated below. The fox offered
him a gentle smile. “Do you remember when we found this place?”

“Aye. I will never forget it. You nearly caught me several times.”

“It was almost two years ago. Two years ago we
went on our first mission together.”

“To Glen Avery. We were to make a show of
ourselves, and yet end up stopping an incursion of Lutins!”

Misha nodded. “By the loathsome Calephas.” He
spat on the ground. “May he rot in hell.”

Charles shuddered and gasped. “He is, Misha.”

“What?”

“Calephas is rotting in hell. He is tormented by
his sins and the sins of others under in Ba'al's
domain. I saw him. I smashed him to pieces.”
Charles shook his head, his words gasped. He'd
already confessed the sins to Father Felsah who
had welcomed them nonplussed. “Misha, after
seeing it all, I could not wish it on anyone
else, not even Nasoj himself. There's something else...”

Misha put a paw on the rat's shoulder. “You told
me a little of what you saw. My friend Drift...
you don't need to tell me more, my friend. I know
how it must haunt you. I know you didn't get any sleep last night.”

“Or many nights,” Charles admitted. “But this is
something you should know. I saw... I saw him, Misha.”

The fox blinked, his one ear lifting. “Him who?”

“Would you forgive me for mentioning his name in these halls?”

Misha's gray eyes pondered the rat's words for a
moment, before they opened wide and a tremble
touched his whiskers. “You... you... did...” His
tongue clove to the roof of his mouth for several
seconds as he tried to force the name from his
throat. He did not succeed. “Him.”

Charles sighed and nodded. “All he ever wanted
was to have a command among the Longs as he'd
once had before Three Gates. Bitterness poisoned
him. Even in death all he wanted was to prove
himself to you. If not for his aid, I would not
have survived.” Charles looked the fox full in
his face. “He repented at the end, Misha. I know it. And so should you.”

Misha stammered again, his arms and legs shaking.
He gripped the rat's shoulder tight, his frame
buckling for a moment. Charles feared the fox
would collapse to the ground; instead he fell
against the rat's chest, narrow snout barely
crossing over the rat's shoulder. His voice
wavered but did not sob. “Charles, tell me
everything; everything he said. I must... I must know.”

The rat held his friend tight and replied, “I
will. I am sorry I did not tell you sooner.”

Misha pushed himself back up and steeled his
face. “Now is the time we have. Tell me what he
said and did. He was... a brother. And I love him still.”

Charles patted the fox on the shoulder and in a
quiet whisper no other could hear, he described
the machine in which he'd found the traitor to
the Long Scouts, Baldwin the condor, and what he
had done and said in the interminable moments after.

Misha listened quietly while his friend spoke. He
held his body still as a statue. The only trace
of movement was his slow, steady breathing. His
eyes were locked onto Charles and seemed to bore through the rodent.

Eventually Charles fell silent as his tale came to an end.

Misha didn't speak, but seemed to stare into
nothing for a long time. “I... I...” He stuttered
for a moment, fell silent again, and only after a
long breath found his voice. “I'm grateful to you
for telling me. I'm glad to finally understand
why.” Misha closed his eyes and sighed loudly.
After a moment he turned to Charles and looked at
him. When he spoke there was pain in his voice,
and in his face and eyes. “I am relieved to see he has finally gained peace.”

Misha hugged his friend. “Thank you.” Charles did
not have time to return the embrace as the fox
spun around and raced off to be alone with his
thoughts. Charles watched the empty space where
his friend had stood for long moments. Then, he
too moved, turning and downing the last of his wine.

----------

Malger enjoyed the gathering and did his best not
to be the center of attention. After regaling
Charles and his friends with Misanthe's tale, he
mingled with the Long Scouts, broke out his flute
and played a few songs, and otherwise enjoyed
himself and made sure others found pleasure in
his company rather than the discomfiture of
dealing with his noble statue. He enjoyed a
liberal helping of wine and sampled every morsel
offered. By the time evening arrived he felt
quite contented and knew he would have a long sleep.

And as evening bore down he noticed the families
one by one sending their children off to bed.
Misanthe was still watching over the little rats
with Lady Kimberly and her opossum handmaid.
Malger saw the fox's ease and the spark of
delight in her eyes as she worked with those
scampering balls of energy. It warmed his heart
and for a time he did aught but watch her.

But evening would not wait. As Lady Kimberly
began to stir, Malger approached bending down as
he walked at an angle no human could manage and
not fall over. All four little rats seemed to
notice him at once and scampered up to him, eager
to grapple and prove to their mother how awake
they were and how they didn't need sleep after
all! Malger laughed as four sets of paws gripped
his tunic and tugged him down to the ground. They
cavorted over his back and squeaked their victory over the big bad marten!

Kimberly and Misanthe looked aghast, but Malger
shook his head and when it was safe, rolled over
onto his back. He jabbed his fingers at one of
the girls who squeaked and wriggled out of his
grasp and rushed back to her mother. The two boys
teamed up and attempted to tickle his sides, but
their little claws were no match for his doublet.
He gave both a playful hiss. The younger boy declared, “I'm not scared!”

“Me either!” Said little Charles, and then tried to tickle Malger again.

Malger gave in and laughed some more. He then
felt something soft and wet on the top of his
head. He tilted back his head and saw the other
little girl there smiling at him. “I gave you a kiss!” she declared.

Malger laughed again. Kimberly picked up her
other daughter and hugged her tight. “How very
sweet of you, Baerle. Charles. Erick. It's time
for you two to join your sisters in bed. Leave Master Malger alone.”

The two boys tried to jab Malger again but at
their mother's clicking tongue, stopped and tried
to scamper off. Malger put his arm down and
caught the elder around his waist. The little boy
squeaked and then stared at the marten, as if
seeing him for the first time. Malger remembered
how the boy had gazed at him when they'd first
met, his eyes never leaving the marten the entire
time. He saw the same look again.

“Hello little Charlie. Are you going to go to sleep now?”

“Uh huh. Are you?”

“Aye, soon. And I want you to know something. If
you see me when you are sleeping, it's all right
to come say hi to me, and any with whom you may
find me. You can ask your mother and father and they'll say the same.”

The boy blinked once, flicked his ears forward
and back, wiggled his whiskers, and then
squeaked. “Oh. Okay. Good night!” He turned,
climbed over Malger's arm, and rushed to where
his mother and handmaid waited for him. The
opossum scooped the boy into her arms and carried
them toward a set of double doors. Misanthe
followed them, carrying the other squirming boy
in her arms. Malger watched them go, eyes ever on the vixen's lush tail.

Only when they were gone and the doors shut
behind them did he realize he was still laying on the floor.