[Mkguild] Bidding Farewell (4 of 4)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Fri May 13 13:01:32 UTC 2016

Part 4 of 4

Metamor Keep: Bidding Farewell
by Charles Matthias

May 25, 708 CR

To his surprise, Charles actually slept well. He feared after telling
Misha some of what had happened to him in the Hells the nightmares
would be sure to come. Instead he slept without dreams and awoke
refreshed and full of nervous energy. Kimberly was still in bed
beside him and together they held each other for several minutes,
neither speaking nor needing too. Even in the darkness with only a
solitary witchlight to cast a twilight glow at every edge, their eyes
spoke for them.

Her snout pressed between his neck and shoulder, his nuzzling within
her fur, they remained in each other's arms until Charles finally
found words to say. "We'll be together."

Kimberly said nothing.

They dressed, gathered what few things they had in a pair of trunks
and carried them out to the door of their quarters. Kimberly then
turned to the hearth and laid several sticks upon the old coals.
Charles watched her in awe as she pressed her paws to the tips; for a
moment she seemed to hold her breath. A trickle of smoke rose between
her fingers; a moment later she coaxed it into flame. A fire built of
her own magic, his wife took a small pot, filled it with water, and
then hung it over the flame.

Charles put a hand on her shoulder and nuzzled between her ears. "My
love, what are you doing?" He found it entrancing to see her call up
or quench flame.

"One last cup of tea before we go. I need one last cup of tea."

He sighed and draped his arms over her chest, pulling her close.
"Make it two cups."

----------

Ever quiet, Kimberly arranged clothes for the children. Charles
touched each between the ears with a kiss. "Time to wake up. We're
going on an adventure."

----------

Six rats and three heavy trunks of clothes, grooming equipment, and
other essentials gathered in the main hall of Long House in the early
hours of the morning. Charles and Kimberly carried their groggy
children in their arms and settled down to wait for Julian.

James and Baerle joined them only minutes later with a few more
trunks filled with everything else the Matthias family would not
bring on their journey from excess clothes to toys and precious
keepsakes they were sure to lose on a sea voyage. While the rats
headed south, the donkey and opossum would return these treasures
north to the Glen. Some Charles had told his friend to give to other
families as they had need. Others, such as the little wooden and
glass figurines they'd been gifted at their wedding, were to be
protected in hopes they would see them again one day.

James scuffed his hooves on the stone floor as they waited, eyes
narrowed, taking long, slow breaths. Charles took a few bites from a
chewstick to calm himself before saying, "Is there something you want
to say, James?"

The donkey lifted his long ears and glanced at Baerle and then the
rats. "Charles, I... are you sure you want us to stay here? The
children have always had Baerle to help mind them, and you have had
me as your servant and friend for over a year now. You do not know
what dangers you and your family are going to face. We have proven
your trust in us is well-deserved. Why do you send us away now?"

Charles patted his wife's hand, and then scooped his two boys from
his lap and nestled them down between two trunks. They opened their
eyes, twitched their whiskers, and then cuddled together and fell
back asleep. "James, take a walk with me. There are a few things I
need to tell you."

Baerle moved to where Charles had sat to keep an eye on the boys
while the donkey followed him. He said nothing to James until they
had crossed half the length of Long House and then only in a whisper.
"What I tell you now I have not uttered beyond the chamber of my
heart. But first, I wish I could have you at my side on this
adventure. I depend on you, James, for a great many things. Those
days you are off scouting for the Glen... I feel as if I am riding
with my right arm missing. I am going to miss you more than anyone
else here at Metamor, James.

"And you are right; I do trust you. I know you will never betray me
or do anything which might bring harm to my family. This is why I
need you to stay here in Metamor. This is why you are now Steward to
my house. You have a very challenging task ahead of you but I would
have no other but you do it."

James murmured, "What would you have me do?"

"Baron Avery gave me the Narrows as my fief. Baron Barnhardt claims
the Narrows are his lands. Glenners and Lakelanders have been
squabbling over it for generations. I am Baron Avery's sworn vassal,
and as such I am required to take his side in this conflict. If the
Narrows did not belong to Baron Avery, then I have no fief at all!
But I do not want to feud with the Lakelanders. I owe it to my Baron
to foster friendly neighbors. As my Steward, in my absence, this task
now falls to you."

James turned his ears fully to the rat. Charles leaned in closer, one
arm around the donkey's back. "Right now George keeps patrols moving
through the Narrows to break up fights between Glenner and Lakelander."

"Jessica and Weyden were there during the plague, I remember."

"Aye, they were. And I've asked George to keep them there for now. In
another week or two our friends should return. As Steward, it will be
your job to meet with them and learn all they know of the comings and
goings on my land. Most of what they will do is break up fights and
try to force Glenners and Lakelanders treat each other as good neighbors.

"As Steward, you have authority to decide what is and is not done on
my land. Baron Avery has certain rights over the Narrows which you
must respect. He is not to be denied his share of game nor his rights
to send scouts through the Narrows. But he is also Duke Thomas's
vassal, and it is Duke Thomas's will for peace in the valley. I will
this too. You are to welcome Lakelanders in the Narrows as guests and
friends. The shepherd Silvas is to be given every courtesy and
grazing rights on whatever land his flock wanders. Contested game
should be divided evenly, though both Baron Avery and my rights need
to be respected. You need to eat as well, my friend, and as my
Steward, you are permitted my share.

"I want my land to become profitable. You know my plans for a keep.
Work with Gibson and Julian to lay the foundations. Both are men I
trust to put the interests of my family first. Rely on our friends
for help and advice. Jessica knows most of the mages at Metamor and
is highly respected. Kayla works for Andwyn and knows more secrets
than any of us! Misha will always come to the aid of his friends, and
through me you have become one of them. Never forget how many friends we have!

"One last thing. I am a knight and as a minor noble I have rights now
which I did not possess a few months ago. Learn them well. As Steward
to my house, you now can insist on those rights on behalf of my
house. You should do so when it is necessary, but be charitable when
it is not. In all things do whatever seems prudent to you. I trust
you, my friend. You will do as I ask when I am right and you will not
hesitate to tell me when I am wrong. You are my right arm, James. I
know when I return I will find my house more prosperous and respected
than I do today. I have no other instructions for you. Do you have
any questions for me?"

James took a deep breath, ears backed, tail flicking from side to
side. The tuft made a little brushing sound against the back of his
breeches. "Two years ago I was nothing more than a junior merchant in
a shop selling cuts of meat. I hoped one day I'd be able to operate a
shop of my own. Now you give me more responsibility than I ever
wanted or dreamed. I don't know if I can live up to your
expectations, but I will try."

He lifted one hand and placed it on the rat's shoulder. The awe in
his voice gave way to worry. "But are you sure you can trust the
Archduke and his mistress? He did deliver us back home to Metamor,
but how well do you really know either of them? You are not paying
him to lead you on this adventure; what will you owe him on your
return? One way or another, you will be his servant, Charles. I fear
you will owe him more than you can imagine. He may say you owe him
nothing, but he is a crafty one, this Sutt. From all I have heard
with these ears of mine his family was a devilish one bent on
conquest. He will find a way to profit; I fear it may come at your
expense. Have you considered this?"

Charles nodded and sighed. "I have considered it. And in truth, I
already owe Malger more than I care to admit. If I am to be his
servant, so be it. From what I have seen, he affords his servants
great latitude and respect. I do not fear what he may ask of me in
the days ahead. And you should not either, my friend. For what we
seek to do will make a better man out of him as well as I."

James grimaced but the urgency of fear left his countenance. "I still
wish I could go with you."

The rat's whiskers twitched as a smile spread into his cheeks. "I
wish you could. But there is one other advantage to remaining here.
How fare you and Baerle?"

A blush touched the donkey's eyes and he stammered in reply, "We...
uh... well... she accepts my interest. I think she... I think... she
enjoys my company.'

"Then you have a much greater responsibility than I could give; you
must win her heart, my friend. Both your happiness and her own are
dear to me. Win her, James. It will be much easier with me a thousand
leagues away."

The donkey cast a furtive glance at the opossum sitting with Lady
Kimberly and his tail swished faster. "I had not thought... I...
thank you, Charles. I will win her. I will!"

"Good man!" Charles clapped him on the back and laughed. "Now, let us
return to our lovely ladies and wait for our friends to tell us it is time."

And together they did, quietly reminiscing over their many days of
friendship and their hopes for the future until the moment Julian arrived.

----------

Julian arranged three of his wagons to carry them and all of their
belongings to Menth. Joining them was Hesgebaern the bison leading
Malger's carriage so the Archduke could travel befitting his station.
James helped Charles load his trunks into the middle wagon along with
many of the supplies they would need to begin their journey. The rest
of the foodstuffs occupied the final wagon in addition to Lindsey who
was just small enough to fit; the young dragon reclined atop the
crates like a lizard sunning himself. Lady Kimberly, Garigan, and the
children would all ride in the first wagon to keep them safe. Charles
would ride alongside.

A clear-blue sky welcomed them with the early dawn sun peeking above
the heights of the Barrier mountains in the southeast. The air was
cool and damp with the morning dew. Everyone, even the children were
quiet and did what was necessary with only a word here and there.
Julian helped Kimberly into the wagon, and then both took the
children as Charles and James hoisted them up in turn. Little snouts
peered over the edge of the wagons, eyes wide and curious. Baerle
brushed her fingers over each of their snouts, standing on her toes
to give each of them one last kiss good-bye.

Goldmark and Elliot checked the rigging for each wagon, while the
bison and a pale Percheron Keeper fussed over the carriage. Of
certain horses they asked if they were comfortable; two nodded their
heads, but the third flicked his head back; sure enough the buckle
around his middle was a little tight. There were twelve horses
altogether, two for each wagon and six for the carriage. Charles
asked Elliot why they had so many and his friend flashed him a bemused smile.

"It was Versyd's suggestion." Elliot bobbed his head toward the
Percheron; Charles recognized him from the Glen. "We will return from
Menth with neither passengers nor cargo, but we are still Keepers.
Four of these horses are men like us, and there will be Versyd too.
They will help protect us on the journey home." The rat chuckled and
nodded his head toward the last wagon in the train. "A bit of the
cargo is their wardrobe and weapons, too. If they're to return on two
hooves instead of four they thought it best to do so a tad less than
skyclad." Charles blinked and then laughed with his friend, having
overlooked so small a detail.

It was the most words any of them offered while the final
preparations were made. Misha and Caroline arrived a few minutes
later leading Charles's pony Malicon. His coat had been brushed and
tack cleaned. Charles smiled to fox and otter before stroking the
pony's head and giving him a gentle scratch between the ears. Malicon
whickered and bumped the rat's arm, asking for more.

Caroline left the rat and fox together to give Kimberly and the
children one last greeting. Charles turned to his friend and the two
hugged close. "At least this time," the fox mused, "you aren't
leaving to fight crazed ancient beings trying to end the world."

"Some consolation I suppose," Charles admitted with a mirthless
laugh. "How far will you come?"

"I dare not," Misha admitted with a sigh. "If I follow you even to
the gates I will follow you all the way to Sondeshara. But you will
be safe as long as you are in the Valley. The Longs will be watching.
And so I will be watching."

"Then we will be safe," Charles replied, forcing a smile to his
cheeks. He cast a glance at Caroline who had climbed into the wagon
and held Kimberly tight. "I had hoped to be there at your wedding,
but it will please me more to return home to find you both working on
playmates for my children."

The fox's one ear lifted up in surprise and then lowered in
uncertainty. Charles had seen this fox face down nightmare terrors
from the realm of the Daedra and hordes of Lutins and mages without
the slightest hesitation; he hurled himself into the midst of melee
with a snarl and a laugh. Yet in the face of a woman he had no
courage to do what his heart desired. Charles could only keep smiling.

"Well, I... I hope. I know she wants children. I just..." Misha shook
his head and laughed. "You were once like this too!"

"I know. Which is why I'm hopeful for you and my other friends."

"Thank you!" Misha said and paused for a moment. His snout tilted
down as his fingers fumbled at the drawstring to a leather pouch at
his side; curious, Charles said nothing. The fox managed the laces,
pulled something out, and offered it to the rat. It was a simple
unadorned amulet of copper whose only marking was an engraving of a
hook shape; claw or talon perhaps. "This is for you and I insist you take it."

Charles studied the object, turning it over in his hands. "What is it?"

"If you need help in a fight," the fox explained. "Hold it in your
hand and pronounce the command word Artellum. It will bring forth a
Summoning to fight for you; for a short while only, but against most
enemies nothing more would be needed."

"A Summoning?"

"It's a thing of magic. Not truly alive." Misha brought his hands
together and wiggled his fingers for a moment. "It's difficult to
describe. Its claws and teeth are sharp." He gave a yip of laughter.
"I can attest to how sharp they are! But be careful, it will only work once."

The rat closed his fingers over the amulet and smiled, whiskers
drooping and then lifting. "I knew you would find a way to help.
Thank you, my friend, my brother!" Charles grasped the fox's arm, and
the two hugged. "Good bye, Misha. Eli willing I will see you again in
a year or two."

"Eli go with you, Charles. May He bless your family all your days and
bring you home."

They smiled, faces brave, and parted. Charles lead Malicon by the
reins to the wagons. Caroline gave him a firm hug and then she too
stepped aside, returning to where Misha watched near the gardens.
James and Baerle followed.

While his children reached out to pet the pony, Charles saw Malger
and Misanthe emerging from the Keep. To the rat's surprise they
walked alone; no servants and no fanfare to accompany them. The
marten's attire was flamboyant with bands of colors angling across
his doublet so he appeared more an ornamental heraldic emblem than a
well-dressed Keeper. Yet nothing else in his manner drew attention to
himself. If not for the bright colors, he would appear as nothing
more than any other Keeper out for a morning stroll with a lady.

Misanthe bore suitable clothes for travel with an err toward comfort
rather than foppishness as Malger displayed. Even in simple, if
somewhat elegant, servant's attire she was a fetching sight. All eyes
turned to watch her. Even in his finery, Malger could not outshine the vixen.

Versyd and Hesgebaern met them a dozen paces from the wagons and
carriage. Malger gave the horse a reproving glance. "You are not
properly dressed, Versyd!"

"I thought you would prefer your carriage, your grace."

The marten's gaze did not waver, but their was a hint of delight in
it. "For when I need sleep or if the sky opens and dumps rain to
drench our fur to the bone. But on a day like this, I will ride and
show off my magnificent steed!"

The horse's ears lifted and his supple lips stretched proud. "Of
course. I shall change immediately, your grace!" Hesgebaern rolled
his eyes and his pipe between his thick lips before lumbering after
the young stallion. Curious, Charles watched as the pair withdrew an
ornate saddle and tack from the last wagon. They disappeared behind
it, but he could see their legs beneath. At first, each stood on two
hooves, and then the horse's lifted to remove his breeches. A moment
later and another pair of hooves fell to the stone causeway. By the
time Malger sauntered over to the rat, the bison emerged followed by
a massive charger, saddled and almost dancing with regal step.

"Are we all gathered then, Sir Matthias?"

"I believe so." He and Garigan helped Misanthe climb into the wagon
with Kimberly and the children. The little rats greeted the vixen
with excited squeaks. "Pharcellus and Jerome are waiting outside the
city. I only do not know where the birds are."

"Lubec and Machais left for Menth yesterday with a message. Quoddy
wished to find our dragon friends; I expect we will see him when we
leave Euper. If there is nothing else then, we should be off. We have
a long journey ahead of us."

Charles pulled his chewstick to his incisors for one last quick
nibble before saying, "Then we can leave as soon as you are ready."

Versyd trotted to Malger's side and nudged him in the back. The
marten laughed and stepped around to his side. "And soon. Versyd
wants to show off his prance!"

He laughed one last time as he climbed atop Malicon, Malger matching
his motion as if choreographed, Versyd arching his neck and flagging
his tail with a proud dance once the marten had settled. Charles
smiled to Kimberly and down to his children. He waved back at Misha,
Caroline, James, and Baerle. And last he turned to Julian in the lead
wagon. "Let us be off."

Julian gave a verbal command, one echoed by Elliot and Goldmark in
the other wagons. The once-human horses strained against the rigging
until the normal horses caught on and started forward in tandem. The
wagons jerked forward, jostling everyone aboard. Charles nudged
Malicon's sides and the pony took up a comfortable gait, keeping
alongside the first wagon. Versyd with Malger stomped past him to
lead the procession. The Percheron almost danced on his hooves, each
clattering against the stone with an asymmetrical yet rhythmic clop.
Malger rode tall, statue still, a thrilled grin stretching his snout.
Charles shook his head and sighed.

----------

Keeptowne slipped by with little more than a few friends waving as
they passed. His children were still young enough to be impressed by
the tall, close-packed buildings and the fountains in the market
district. They pointed each of these out with delight, asking if they
could climb the walls or splash in the fountain. Each unusual Keeper
also inspired a question, and Charles did his best to recall their
taxonomy. Often times his reply was, "Lizard", "Bird", or "I have no
idea, sorry."

While they traversed the Killing Fields and the long slope down to
Euper, Versyd relaxed his gait and plodded along much as Malicon did.
The four Keepers helping to pull the wagons and carriage had long
matched their pace to the normal horses so he no longer could tell
which was which. Charles had resisted the urge to wave goodbye to the
place she had known and loved since coming to Metamor almost nine
years ago. But on the slope to Euper he twisted in the saddle to
offer a single farewell.

There was little in Euper Charles recognized; what few places he had
known had been destroyed in Nasoj's Winter Assault, and even the
course of the main road seemed different to him since then. He spoke
with his wife and Misanthe, telling them some of the history of the
town nestled at the Keep's feet. At the head of the procession,
Versyd trotted with regal splendor and Malger soaked in the curious
gaze of onlookers. Behind them his fellow rats kept the wagons in
line with little words and the occasional tug on the reins; Lindsey
waved from his perch, flapping his wings and making silly dragon
faces at the Euper children.

The sun finished climbing above the mountains by the time they passed
through the gates of Euper. The road widened into a broad hard-packed
boulevard of dirt rutted by wagon wheels and pitted by hooves. A
branch led down to the small lake which was truly nothing more than
an over-sized eddy in the river, while the main road led north and
south along the western edge of the prominence on which the Keep perched.

Where the road began south in earnest a large group of Keepers
waited. On the opposite side of the road reclined a good-sized dragon
and an oddly shaped man hunched beneath a wing. Charles blinked in
surprise and delight when he recognized the Keepers. Jessica and
Weyden stood before a giraffe and the human woman who was his wife, a
ram with a long-stemmed pipe in his teeth, and a youth. Beside them
were two knights, an elk and a rat, and an oryx squire, all mounted
and ready for travel.

"Sir Saulius!" Charles exclaimed, nudging Malicon forward. His fellow
rat knight moved forward from the group, a wide grin twitching his whiskers.

"Sir Matthias! Didst thee believe I wouldst let thee go without so
much as a 'fare thee well'?"

They hugged and Charles laughed in delight. "I am glad to see you! I
thought you were on patrol up north?"

The elk, Sir Egland, rode up alongside them with his squire not far
behind. "We received orders two days ago to escort you to Menth and
to guard all those returning to Metamor." The elk bobbed his head
toward the marten as he rode up alongside. His antlers were still
growing for the season, but already they promised to be a pair the
envy of any hunter. "I am proud to serve as your honor guard, your grace!"

Malger chuffed but smiled. "I am pleased to know we have such good
men as yourselves to protect us and our friends as they return home.
We may only have a few days, but I am eager to hear of your
adventures. And perhaps, if perchance you have your viola, we can
join in song?"

"Alas my viola remains at home, but musicians will always find a way
to make lovely melody."

While elk and marten commiserated, Sir Saulius trotted over to the
wagons and greeted Kimberly ad the children. He nuzzled their noses
with his own, tickling them with his whiskers. He lifted his namesake
from the wagon and set him on his pony's neck. Little Erick clutched
at the saddle horn with excited squeaks. The other children
immediately begged for a chance to ride too. Charles picked up his
eldest boy and set him on Malicon's neck. "Bernadette, Baerle, you
two will have your turns in a moment."

"Nay," Egland intoned with a smooth baritone rumble, his heavy
steed's hooves thudding up along the opposite side of the wagon. "Let
them not feel second to those rapscallions." Holding out an arm he
carefully lifted Baerle onto his saddle while his squire, on an
equally massive warhorse, accepted Bernadette onto his. The two girls
squeaked merrily before the two gallant gentlemen as their prancing
mounts moved forward to join the others.

Jessica, Weyden, and the other members of their patrol team waited
for the wagons to reach them and then fell in step beside them.
Jessica hopped alongside Malicon and looked up at him. "You can thank
Kayla. She pestered George to let your friends accompany you to Menth
until the jackal gave in. I wish we could go further, but... for some
of us it will be the first time we've left the valley since we came!"
She cast a glance at every other member of her patrol. "With so many
of us, I know we will be safe."

"I'm glad of it. Tell Kayla thank you and I owe her for this."

"Between friends you owe nothing." Jessica assured him. Her eyes lit
upon the dragon. Charles nodded and after depositing his son with his
the pair reclining beside the road, he dismounted and approached.

"Good morning, Sir Matthias. A beautiful day for journeys, is it not?"

"Good morning, Pharcellus. Thank you for watching over my friend. And
yes, it is a beautiful day. May Eli bless us with many more!"

The dragon made the sign of the yew with one claw, and then peered
over the rat's shoulder at the train of wagons. "We'll follow along
behind; no need to spook the horses."

"Some of them are Keepers so you shouldn't, but for now it's probably
wise. Thank you, Pharcellus." He turned to Jerome. His fellow
Sondeckis was mostly human in shape, though his legs were still
deformed, ending in black paws. A tail dangled through a gap in his
robe. His jaws protruded beneath cleft lips and a darkened, flat
nose, while his ears stretched to fur-covered points. But at least
his eyes were the same as they had been in youth. He met Charles and
his lips formed a smile, fangs protruding where they parted.

"I'm ready, Charles," Jerome said, only a faint growl hiding beneath
his words. "You needn't worry about me."

"It is a long journey, but we'll make it."

"To Sondeshara?"

Charles smiled. "To our home."

THE END