[Mkguild] Mage Guild Reborn-Part 1

Kolrim kolrim08 at gmail.com
Sun May 22 07:43:52 UTC 2016

Hi Kamau,

Thank you for the story! I'm looking forward to seeeing what happens next.
I can also appreciate that the story took you a long time to work through.
Thank you for sticking with it and getting it done.

I'm most interested in seeing why the guild fell into disrepair and what
the guild will be like once that negative influence, whatever it may be, is
gone. However, I am also interested in learning more about some of the
characters that were introduced in this story.

Please keep writing!

Kolrim
A smile crossed Master Jesse's face as he wound his way up to the gate at
Metamor.  It had been far too long since he had attended to business here
himself.  Each time he had planned a visit some business or concern in
Mycransburg had prevented him.  Sib had become his agent so he could still
conduct business that needed to be done there.  Then the plague broke out
less than a month ago halting even that.  The business to be conducted this
time only he could do himself.  To conceal his true intentions he had told
Sib it was some business that he had with the guild that was forcing him to
go himself.  Really that was only a half lie.  It was in fact business with
the mage's guild that brought him to the Keep.  He intended to go to the
hall and ask that both she and Rorlyn be granted letters from the guild
certifying them as Journeyman.

This however brought a darker thought that furrowed his brow.  If what Sib
had told him was true there was trouble with the guild itself.  Seeing it
had been months since he had received any communications from the guild he
was certain that something was amiss.  While mages were not known to be the
chatty type the Head Master, Raughat, had always made certain to keep all
the guild members informed.  This was mostly through the monthly reports
but of late even these had gotten smaller and then stopped entirely.

Once inside the gate he made his way to an inn and stabled his horse.  He
expected it would take less than a week to complete his business and to
catch up with some friends he had not seen in a long time.  Placing some of
the items he had brought in a shoulder bag and taking up his staff he
headed for the marketplace.  In a short time he stood before a shop whose
sign was that of an owl, the shining guild mark displayed in the corner.
Smiling he opened the door and entered.

"May I help you Master," a deer asked from behind the counter.

"Yes, I am Master Jesse and I seek Master Nestor," he replied in a firm but
friendly tone.

"Right away Master," the doe replied with a bow as she darted to the back
of the shop.

Moments later a tawny owl, the size of a child, appeared in the doorway.

"Master Jesse," the avian cried launching himself over the counter with a
flap of his wings. "It is so good to see you."

"As it is to see you my friend," the blond bearded man replied as he
stooped to embrace the owl. "How have you been doing?"

"I'm well," Nestor exclaimed beaming with pride. "Business has been good
and I now have two apprentices and a Journeyman.

"You are off to an ambitious start," the human mage said.

"Come, let me introduce my newest apprentice," the owl said extending a
wing toward the deer. "Lucero, this is Master Jesse from Mycransburg.  He
is the Master I studied under."

"A pleasure to meet you Master," the deer responded bowing again.

"How long will you be with us?" Nestor asked looking up at his former
Master.

"I expect to be two or three days in the Keep," Jesse told him. "There are
matters in Mycransburg that I need to keep an eye on."

"Of course," the owl Master said with a nod. "Still I do hope that will
leave you time to share a drink with a former student."

"Indeed I would very much like to do that," Jesse answered with a smile.
"But first I have a bit of business to conduct with you."

"Oh," the owl said tilting his head. "Some of your handy work?  The wares
that Sib has been bringing are always in demand."

"That and more," the mage told him opening the bag he carried. "See what
you think of these."

The human mage laid several bracelets and medallions on the counter.
Nestor hopped onto the countertop and began to examine them with his mage
sight.  Tilting and twisting his head about for some time he probed the
magic each item held.

"Luc, tell me what you see," the owl mage said to his young apprentice.

"I will try Master," she replied and stared at the items for a few moments.

"They are wards of some kind," the doe stated, a bit of doubt tingeing her
voice.

"Is that all?" the owl pressed.

Again the deer examined the items blinking repeatedly.  Finally she shook
her head and faced her Master.

"There is something else radiating from them," she told him. "but it is
bound too tightly with the first for me to discern what it is."

"Very good," the owl mage exclaimed. "I'm pleased that you saw it."

"Indeed," Master Jesse added. "How long have you been an apprentice?"

"About three months Master Jesse," she answered.

"That was very good for someone so new to the trade," the blond bearded
mage told her. "You were correct that those are wards but of a special
type.  The second is similar to a ward but it does not protect directly.
There is also a third spell beneath them both however."

"The one looks something like a gate ward," Master Nestor commented
searching for the other spell. "Yet the first spell is clearly one of
protection for the wearer.  So why would it reach out to the danger that
triggered it?"

"That is because it is meant to warn the attacker," Jesse said, his broad
smile lighting up his face. "These are meant to be worn by our animal
Keepers when they assume a full animal form."

"But to what purpose?" Luc asked then covered her mouth realizing she had
spoken out of turn. "Oh, pardon Masters."

"You are excused this time," Jesse said, his tone more of a teacher now.
"As for their purpose; have you not seen or heard of Keepers attacking each
other because they didn't know both were Keepers?"

"Yes, I've heard of that," the doe replied.

"Well if a Keeper is wearing one of these it prevents that," the Master
Mage said. "The spell that reaches out instills a feeling of uneasiness in
any attacker dissuading them from attacking.  The protection spell will
shield the wearer from any primal attack and the third embedded spell warns
the wearer and the attacker that both are Keepers."

"Interesting," the owl mage commented. "That is a nice little trinket to
add to your line and one I'm sure I could sell to some of our patrons here."

"It's not my work," Jesse told his old student.

"Not yours?" he exclaimed. "Then whose is it?"

"My apprentice, Sibylla Messitt," the human mage said beaming. "The clever
girl came up with this all on her own."

"This is more then the work of an apprentice," Nestor gasped. "I dare say I
would not expect work like this from less than a Journeyman."

"Exactly, and that is why I'm here," Master Jesse told the other Master.
"While the spells are adaptations of my own work Sib has crafted them into
these items in a way that makes a most useful device.  That is why I will
be asking the guild to grant her letters to be a Journeyman."

"Well that work is certainly worthy of that rank," Nestor said somewhat
distracted by the conversation between the doe and a customer.

"I can count on your recommendation then?" Master Jesse asked following the
owls gaze at the counter.

"Most certainly," the owl mage replied. "Follow me and we can do that this
very minute."

The shop's Master led the human mage through the back room and to another
chamber.

"Please have a seat," Nestor said gesturing to a chair. "Would you care for
some wine?"

"Yes, that would be rather pleasant right now," Jesse answered.

The owl gestured to a cabinet that opened of its own accord.  From within a
wine bottle and a glass gently floated to the table.  With a flick of his
wing the avian mage drew the cork out and poured the wine into the waiting
glass.

"I see your skill with levitation is as good as ever," the bearded mage
commented.

"All thanks to you," Nestor replied. "You were the one that insisted I
learn them."

"For a mage who has no arms it is a very useful if not necessary skill,"
Jesse told him as he picked up the glass.

"Yes, it has served me very well," the owl replied taking his place on a
perch near the table.

"So what is this I've been told about difficulties in the guild?" Jesse
asked Nestor as he took a sip of wine.

"Where to begin," the avian mage said with a sigh. "In many ways the Guild
exists only in name."

"Will I have trouble getting the letters for Sib and Rorlyn?" Master Jesse
asked his brow furrowing with concern.

"You'll have no problem with that," the owl mage said ruffling his feathers
and puffing up some. "So long as you've enough silver in your belt."

"I've brought enough to cover the usual fees," Jesse replied noting the
owl's tone and posture.

"Hah, You'll need a good bit more than that." the owl Master cawed. "Grand
Master Kuna will need his administrative fee as well.  Even after that who
knows when the letters will be granted."

"Grand Master?" Jesse questioned. "Who or what has made Kuna a Grand Master
and why would he get a fee?"

"He's not a Grand Master in the broadest sense of our trade," Master Nestor
explained. "But he felt the title Head Master wasn't exalted enough for the
head of the guild here at Metamor."

"Kuna is Head Master?" the human mage gasped.

The owl simply nodded.

"Still he can't just single handedly change that title," Jesse exclaimed.

"Somehow he got a quorum together one day and changed it," the owl said.

"And he increased the fees at the same time?" the bearded mage asked.

"No, he pulled that off by the compensation clause in the charter," the
younger Master told Jesse. "He claims that since he is doing all the work
and that it's distracting him from his business he deserves compensation."

"Doing what work?" the human mage questioned. "All he does is sign as head
of the guild.  Oh sure, there's a bit of review and paperwork but most of
the work is shared among all the guild Masters.  The Head Master also gets
a stipend to cover any possible loss of business due to his work."

"Not anymore," Nestor informed him. "He single handedly reviews all
applications and approves them.  He's also got his paws in just about every
other part of the guild."

"What of the other Masters?" Jesse asked. "Surely they are asked to review
the progress of those likely to be raised in rank?"

"We haven't had a guild meeting let alone any reviews for at least six
months," Nestor told his former Master.

"That's impossible," Jesse exclaimed. "The charter calls for meetings and
reviews."

"So many of the mages here in the Keep and outlying area have become fed up
with Kuna's antics that they refuse to meet," the owl mage said. "He's all
but destroyed the guild."

“How in the world could someone like Kuna destroy the guild?” Jesse
exclaimed. “Even in our darkest day right after Three Gates when only three
Masters were left in the Keep it stayed together.  Certainly it was weak
and had to rebuild but we were getting very near to our old strength both
in Masters and lower ranks.  One person certainly couldn’t destroy all
that.”

“He didn’t” Nestor replied. “After the Winter Assault the ranks of Masters
grew very thin.”

“I know, it took a toll on the entire valley,” the human mage answered.
“The reports we got showed a lot of mages were in bad shape.  The few
reports we got after that didn’t give much detail in how fast they were
recovering.”

“Many never did.  All the ranks were greatly reduced.  Mages were high
priority target during that attack.” Nestor told him. “If it weren’t for my
winter plumage I’m not sure I would have survived.  Head Master Raughat
never recovered from the wounds he took defending the tower.  He lingered
for months but nothing could be done.  That’s when Kuna got elected to the
office.

"We didn't even hear about that in Mycransburg," Jesse said. "Raughat was a
good mage, the first Master made after Three Gates.  I'm sorry to hear we
lost him.  But how was this election held without the Masters being
present?"

"Legal double talk and politics," Nestor answered. "Kuna convinced the
guild that it had to act and somehow persuaded most of those not able to
attend a meeting to give him their support."

"We are talking about the same mage?" Jesse inquired. "Kuna; short, stocky,
gets hyper at the drop of a hat or at least before the curse that was him."

"That's the one," the owl said. "And being a meerkat hasn't done anything
for the voice and arm flailing when he's having a fit."

"Meerkat?" the blond bearded mage exclaimed. "Is that what he became?"

"Yes," the younger Master confirmed. "He hid himself away for a couple of
years after Three Gates.  Only started being an active mage again I'd say
four years ago.  Even then he kept a low profile."

"Then that's why I've lost track of him," Jesse said with a sigh. “The
curse has made some outstanding mages absolute hermits.  Even at meeting
they hide themselves under hoods or other clothing.”

"No one seems to know what he did during the assault," Nestor continued.
"But with our losses and so many others healing from their wounds he just
stepped into the vacuum and took control."

"Have you tried to get him removed?" Master Jesse asked.

"Yes, we have, though not recently," his former student answered. "He
either comes up with a reason to cancel the vote or we don't have the
quorum of Masters needed to do so.  There's been enough attempts that many
have simply given up and went their own ways."

"It sounds like someone needs to do some cat herding." Jesse commented
stroking his beard. "Start pulling the Master Mages together and get the
guild to stand up to Kuna."

"With the current feeling among the mages here that will take a bit of
persuasion," the owl mage replied.

"Well then I guess someone is just going to have to persuade them," Jesse
said standing and turning toward the door. "I assume you would be
interested in his removal."

"Certainly," the owl replied.

"Good that's two," the blond Master said. "Now all I need is the remaining
sextyne and we can render the letter demanding the meeting."

"Not even that," Nestor replied sadness in his voice. "As I said, we lost a
lot of good mages in the assault."

"We never heard the final count, at least not officially," Jesse explained
as the full impact of that event on the guild became clear to him. "So what
do I need for a quorum, a dozen?"

"I'm afraid not even that," was the owl's short reply.

"All the more reason for us to get a real Head Master," Jesse said firmly
as he headed for the door. "I'll see what support I can come up with while
I'm getting the signatures on the letters."

"Wait," the avian mage called out. "I haven't signed yet."

"I can do that when I come back to get you for our night out," the blond
bearded mage replied. "I want to catch up on more pleasant things over a
good meal and some drink."

Jesse left the shop and headed to another part of the market.  He was
certain he could find other Masters that would support Sib for Journeyman.
His greater concern was how many had seen Rorlyn's skill now that he had
recovered his voice.  But with what Nestor had just told him he had the
added task of feeling out who would join him and Nestor in getting Kuna
removed from his position.

It didn’t take long to get the additional signature for Sib and Jesse now
set out to find those who would have knowledge of Rorlyn's regained
abilities.  Leaving the marketplace he headed up the street that would lead
him to the Mages' guild tower.  Though he did not visit it often, aside
from the guild meetings, it was one of his favorite places in the Keep.
The tower was much more then a meeting place.  It had been built and
equipped to be a focal point for the powerful magic that coursed through
the city.  The size, shape and location had all been carefully chosen so it
was in harmony with the magic of the Keep.

This, of course, also made it a place of great power.  Anyone who could
feel magic was immediately aware of that when they entered the place.  The
guild always made certain that protective wards were in place to prevent
enemies and the least savory of mages from tapping into that power.

Coming to the door of the tower the blond mage immediately knew something
was wrong.  He had expected the usual probing by the threads of magic that
were the first lines of defense but what he felt were weak and disordered.
Passing through the arch of the door he again noted that the wards, while
still present, were very lacking in power.  It didn't take long for the
Master Mage of Mycransburg to see more than the magic of this place was ill
maintained.

The entrance chamber was disordered with benches pushed together in various
places and the desks, usually manned by one of more junior mages, were not
only out of place but vacant.  A boy of perhaps fourteen years was near a
set of shelves attempting to put some books in order.  As there was no one
at the desk the Master Mage decided to use an old greeting for occasions
when there was not a standing watch.

"Jesse Öresund, Guild Master and Master Mage of Mycransburg seeks admission
to the hall."

The lad spun about, a book sliding from his hand, as he was taken by
surprise at the formal greeting.  The child, whom Jesse was certain, was
age regressed, stood staring at him, his mouth moving like a fish in
water.  After it became obvious the boy would not regain voice immediately
the blond bearded mage spoke again.

"Excuse me, could you tell me where I might find one of the duty mages?"

"I, I guess that might be me Master," he stammered eyes wide in either fear
or shock.

"And whom am I speaking to then?" the Master questioned.

"Evan," the boy replied. "Evan Rehfuss, apprentice to Master Vaughn.  How
may I help you Master?"

"An apprentice?" Jesse asked, an eyebrow raised in disbelief. "There is no
journeyman on duty?"

"Not that I am aware of Master," the apprentice told him. "I'm not even
sure if I'm the person you seek.  I was just putting some books back in
their place as my Master had ordered."

Jesse extended his arm and the fallen book rose from the floor and floated
gently to his hand.  Briefly flipping through the pages he sent it back to
the hands of the boy standing before him.

"Not only an apprentice," the Master Mage observed. "But also very new to
the craft if that text was used by you."

"Yes Master," Evan said. "I was taken by Master Vaughn only last month."

"Are there any other mages here at all?" the blond mage asked, glancing
about the empty hall. "Certainly there must be some in the library."

"I've only seen three others," the age regressed Keeper told him. "I
believe they are using some of the workshops."

"One wouldn't happen to be a dragon would he?" inquired the Master Mage.

"Yes, Rugger is among them," the apprentice told him. "Shall I see if he is
available?"

"No," Jesse answered. "For what I need from him I can go to where he is
working.  Just point me to the workshop he is in."

"Through that door Master," the lad replied pointing. "The last room on the
left."

"Thank you lad," the Master said as he moved toward the door where he
paused for a moment. "Oh and lad.  Suggest to your Master that you learn a
levitate spell.  It will aid one like yourself greatly."

Proceeding down the curved hall the blond mage noted that all the rooms
were empty.  For Rugger to be the only one using a room was highly out of
place.

As he reached the room Evan had indicated Jesse noted that the occupant had
not set the do not disturb sign.  After a moment of listening for anything
that might indicate a casting was in progress he gave a gentle knock on the
door.

Moments later the door opened revealing the scaled form of a dragon Keeper.

"Rugger," Jesse began. "I am Master Jesse Öresund, from Mycransburg.  I was
wondering if I might speak to you for a moment."

"Certainly," Rugger replied. "Please come in."

Jesse stepped into the chamber being careful not to disturb anything that
might be preparation for a casting.  Aside from what looked to be light
armor he saw nothing to indicate what Rugger was working on.  Then his eyes
fell to the floor where he noticed a series of runes inscribed.

"Strengthening runes?" Jesse exclaimed in surprise. "What could you be
working on that you need them here?"

"The channeling spells for the workshops are in great need of work," the
dragon replied with a shake of his head. "For me it is far simpler to use
the runes then to do that work."

"No one is assigned to maintain the spells?" the blond mage asked. "That
was typically assigned to either an advanced apprentice or a Journeyman
putting in his guild hours."

"I can see it's been some time since you were last here Master Jesse,"
Rugger replied. "Most apprentices now work only in their Master's shops.
And even if there were a schedule the Journeyman find no value in being
here as they get no training, meaningful tasks or assistance for the labor
they would do."

"No schedule," Jesse echoed with a slow shake of his head. "No maintenance,
no one working it the rooms or at the entrance of the hall.  Yes, this
place has fallen greatly."

"So it has," the dragon replied. "But this is not why you have come.  How
can I help you Jesse?"

"No it is not," the blond Master confirmed then added. "Or at least not
when I first arrived.  I was wondering if you have any knowledge of my
apprentice Rorlyn."

"The large gryphon mage?" Rugger asked.

"Yes, the curse made him that early last year," Jesse answered.

"I have seen him and had some conversation with him," the dragon mage
acknowledged. "A rather interesting fellow in the way he crafts his magic."

"Oh I agree.  His manner is not what I would expect," the human mage
replied. "But just as I craft magic different from a rune caster like
yourself so Rorlyn does with his methods."

"Yes, I won't deny it works," the scaled mage agreed. "Lately I've seen him
produce some impressive castings."

"Ah, that brings me to the core of what I'm here for," Jesse said seeing a
good opening to ask. "From what I hear you are an advanced Journeyman.
Would you say his skill is at a Journeyman's level?"

The dragon seemed to think for a moment, running his clawed hand about his
muzzle as he did so.

"He can certainly channel power," the dragon began. "And what I've seen of
his work he is well controlled in directing what he crafts.  I've not seen
him do much fine work however."

"For that I have a solution," Jesse told him reaching into his bag and
drawing forth some objects. "These are some of his work."

Rugger carefully examined each of the objects placed before him.  He
handled some of them and tested another to its intended use.  With one
final examination of the collection he turned back to Jesse.

"If he has done these with those massive claws of his," the dragon said. "I
have no doubt of his ability to do fine work."

“Thank you,” the gryphon’s Master replied. “It’s good to know others feel
as I do.  Do you know of any Masters in the Keep that have seen much of his
work lately?”

“None that I can think of.  I know Electra has seen some of what he’s
done,” the dragon answered. “as has Saroth, though he’s not a Master.  You
might ask either of them.”

He paused for a moment as if debating something he might add.

“Master Jesse,” the dragon started. “You do know that with the current
state of the guild expecting someone to be raised in rank is a futile
endeavor at best.”

"Futile," Jesse said. "Oh not entirely futile I assure you.  That has also
become a part of my business as I have become aware of the illness
infecting our guild."

"And how would you propose to expel that illness?" Rugger responded.
"Others have tried you know and been thwarted."

"Perhaps, but I believe I have a means of preventing that," Jesse
explained. "All I need is a clear majority of the Masters of the guild to
sign a partition.  Once that is done there has to be a meeting called."

"This has been done in the past," the dragon reminded the human mage. "But
the meetings were always postponed until a quorum was no longer present."

"Leave that to me," the blond mage replied. "The charter has a seldom used
clause that should force him to meet in a timely fashion."

"If you can assure that," Rugger said with lightly veiled enthusiasm. "I
guarantee you most Masters that I know of would sign the partition for such
a meeting."

“Excellent,” the blond bearded mage exclaimed. “That is encouraging to
hear.”

Leaving the room Jesse returned to the main hall and found Master Vaughn
speaking with her young apprentice.

“Good day Master Xima,” Jesse called out. “How are you today?”

“I’d be much better if someone would keep the books here in good order,”
she shot back even before she tuned to see Jesse. “It’s a disgrace to the
guild that a young mage can’t even find a book he’s been told to fetch by
himself here.”

“Or someone on duty to aid him in his search,” Jessed added. “Your
apprentice is the only person I saw when I entered the tower today.”

“Hah, that would be too troublesome for our Grand Master,” she growled
looking about the room. “Too busy to make a schedule, to appoint journeymen
or Masters to be here to aid in learning the trade.  And when was the last
apprentice workshop or Masters meeting we’ve had?  Months!  How are we
going to get our numbers back to a reasonable level if the guild doesn’t
provide for its lower levels?”

“I know.  That’s become one of the reasons I’m here,” Jesse said hoping to
slow the rant to a conversation. “I’ve been told that all the recent
meetings have fallen short of having a quorum.”

“Every single one,” Xima replied in a harsh tone. “And I’ve been to them
all.  Talk to the Masters in their shops or on the street and yes, they’ll
be there but come meeting time not even a handful show.  Try scheduling the
meeting further ahead so schedules will be clear and still no quorum to
allow business to be done.  Now even when asked Kuna refuses saying no one
will show.  Something’s not right here I tell you.  This is not like us.”

“Have they tried majority request or an emergency session?” the bearded
mage asked. “The Head Master has to call a meeting for both of those.”

“Oh sure, if you could find enough Masters willing to sign,” the female
mage snapped back. “You’d have better luck herding all the cats in Keeptown
into a single room then getting that number of signatures.”

“I’ve been known to have a fair amount of success with felines,” Jesse said
with a grin. “and considering one of my apprentices is half feline I’m in
good practice.”

“Yes, Rorlyn, the gryphon who works magic with twitching talons,” Xima
replied surprising Jesse at her knowledge of him. “I’ve been meaning to
talk to you about him.”

“Oh? Has he done something wrong?” Jesse asked now concerned that there was
something he hadn’t been told.

“Yes and no,” the female Master answered. “I’ve seen him helping others
apprentices with their magic.  Not exactly something you’d expect or want
someone of his level to do.  Still I must say he never seems to be in error
with what he does.  It’s also the only time I see him weave magic as most
of us do.”

“Before he came to Metamor he was an apprentice to a Master who had to
leave on a journey,” Jesse began to explain. “Before he left he assigned
Rorlyn to oversee the other apprentices in his shop and was told he would
be raised to journeyman status when the Master returned.”

“If that’s true why is he not a journeyman now?” she asked.

“His Master never returned from the journey,” Jesse continued. “After
waiting years he saw to it that the other apprentices went to other Masters
and he set out on his own.  That brought him to Metamor.  He thought he
could escape the curse by using a spell to turn himself into an animal like
those in the Keep.  It didn’t work and instead he became a gryphon when the
curse took him.”

“So let me get this straight,” Xima began. “He oversaw a shop by himself,
taught others and convinced Masters to accept those he trained?  And as if
that’s not odd enough he’s an apprentice who is able to weave morphing
magic?”

“I’ve seen it myself,” Jesse said recalling his first encounters with him.
“And he has a fair number of powerful combat spells as well.”

“Now that I’ve heard from others who have been with him,” she confirmed.
“But with all of that why isn’t he a journeyman already?  What did you see
that you didn’t get him advanced?”

“Nothing,” the blond mage replied. “When the curse took him he lost both
the ability to speak and one finger to work magic with.  It is only
recently that his voice has come back to where he can again fully craft
spells requiring vocalization.  His advancement also happens to be one of
the reasons I’m here today.”

The female Master opened her mouth to speak almost as if she had her next
question ready before Jesse finished but halted before asking it.

“You’re joking.  In this disorder you expect to get a letter for a
journeyman?” Xima said with a sarcastic tone to her voice. “From what
you’ve just said and what I’ve seen and heard I’d certainly say he’d ready
but it will never happen.  Not with Kuna pulling all the strings here.”

“You are not the first to tell me that,” Jesse said reaching into his bag.
“I just got a sponsorship letter signed by two of the Masters for Sib, one
of my other apprentices and I’ve another letter for Rorlyn.  All I need are
the signatures of two Masters.”

“I see.  So you’re intent on pushing this with Kuna?” the well-endowed mage
asked. “Well if you are I’ll gladly sign but I’ll tell you right now I’m
not expecting it to account for much.”

“You can sign it right here,” Jesse said pointing to a table and placing
the letter upon it. “I’ve quill and ink here as well.”

Placing the writing tools on the table Xima quickly picked up the quill and
placed her name in bold strokes at the bottom of the page.

“I may also soon have another paper for you to sign,” Jesse told her drying
the ink and returning the page to his bag. “If all I’ve heard holds true
and I can prove it I’ll be forcing a meeting with Kuna shortly.”

“That one I’ll certainly sign,” she stated firmly. “But you be careful.
There’s something not right about all this disorder that’s come to the
guild.  I’ve not been able to feel or see anything but people are not
acting like themselves when they come here.  I’ve made it my habit to
shield myself before I enter anymore.”

“I’ll keep that in mind,” Jesse said taking a look around the chamber
before heading for the door. “With the weakness of the wards and defenses
here I would not be surprised to find something has snuck in.”

Leaving the tower Jesse knew he now had another ally to aid him in getting
to the bottom of what was pulling the guild apart.  He also now only needed
one more signature to complete his original task for his coming to the Keep.

For the next few hours Jesse visited the magic shops in the Keep but while
some of the Masters knew of Rorlyn none felt they had seen the range of
magic they needed so as to sign the letter.  As he was nearing the Twin
Hearth Inn he kept a careful eye out for his winged apprentice.  Unless
there had been a change the gryphon was out on patrol for the next few days
which gave Jesse time to obtain what he needed without Rorlyn knowing.

Looking up at the peak of the building Jesse could see the large door with
a landing pad before it.  The door was closed, a good indication at this
time of year that the gryphon was away.  When at the Keep Rorlyn called the
Hearth his home and the owners had provided him with a roost in the Inn’s
attic.  Darion and Jami, the owners of the Inn, had been very generous to
the gryphon from the moment of his change and all three had grown very
close.

Looking back to the street he was pleased to see a small figure he had
hoped to find coming toward him.  As with so many of the age regressed
Keepers her physical form hid the true power and ability she had.  The sun
dancing off her red hair and a smile on her face gave Jesse confidence that
this would be a good time to speak to her.

“Good day Electra,” the blond mage called out.

“Good day Jesse,” she replied changing her course to come before her fellow
mage. “What brings you to the Keep?  You usually keep yourself locked away
up to the north.”

“Yes, my duties there keep me busy,” he told her with a smile. “just as
your weather duties keep you busy here.  What brought me to the Keep is a
matter of guild business and one you may be able to aid me with.”

The girl’s smile faded as she replied.

“Any business you have with the guild may well be beyond my help.  Some of
us still work together but trying to do anything meaningful with the guild
is like walking against a full blown gale.”

“So I’ve heard from every Master I’ve spoken to,” the mage of Mycransburg
said with a nod. “Still what I’m here for I want to finish before I attempt
to tackle the guild problem.”

“What is it you need?” she asked her expression a mix of concern and
curiosity.

“I’m told you’ve had some contact with one of my apprentices, Rorlyn,” he
continued. “I was hoping you might give me your opinion on whether he is
ready to be advanced to journeyman rank.”

“He is one of several people I know of that should have been raised in rank
over the last year,” Electra told Jesse, her tone stressing should. “Saroth
and he seem to enjoy exercising together both in flight and with spells.”

“Now that’s something I’ve never heard him mention,” Jesse said stroking
his beard as he considered the dragon and gryphon playing in the air.

“You can’t imagine the difficulties I have when those two get together and
start some of their aerial antics,” she explained. “If they’re not seeing
who can turn tightest about or through trees they’re chasing each other
above the clouds in some winged follow the leader.  I’ve also had to warn
them about where to play with some of your gryphon’s lightening spheres.”

“Now that I’ll see comes to a halt,” Jesse told her not amused in the least
at this report.

“Don’t be too harsh,” the child mage suggested. “They were not endangering
anyone or causing damage.  It’s just that I get questions about flashes and
thunder in a clear sky from some of the logging crews.”

“I’ll remind him of his practice limits,” the Master Mage replied. “But
back to business for a moment.  Would you be willing to sign the letter of
sponsorship for Rorlyn?”

“I’d be pleased to do so,” the weather mage said with a smile. “And I
certainly hope you can make it happen for him.  He needs the recognition
with all he’s been doing for others.”

“We can step into the Hearth for a moment and sign it there,” Jesse
suggested motioning toward the Inn. “We can also speak some more about
what’s happening with the guild over a drink if you have the time.”

“I could use a break from the day’s routine,” Electra answered as she
turned to the door. “And the Hearth is one of the better places I can think
of to talk to someone about the guild’s problems.”

“Then let us proceed,” Jesse said making a broad gesture toward the double
doors of the Inn.

Leaving the Inn Jesse saw that there would not be the time to complete all
he wanted to do at the guild hall.  Leaning on his staff for a moment he
considered his options until a happy thought put him into action.  This was
the perfect time to just browse the shops here at the Keep, something he
had not done in ages.  And so he spent the rest of the day until it was
time to collect his former student for what he hoped would be a relaxing
evening.

Jesse entered the shop just as the deer apprentice was closing the last of
the cases.

"Good evening Luc," he called out. "Is Master Nestor still in the back?"

"Yes Master Jesse," the deer answered as she set the ward over the case.
"Shall I get him for you?"

"Yes, but first I think you'd best examine that ward," the Master Mage
suggested.

The deer looked at the small coin like item and blinked.  Raising a hoofed
hand once again she lowly spoke the words.  Immediately her ears fell in
disappointment.

"Intonation," Jesse said softly. "Do not allow my presence to distract you
as you did the first time.  Try it again but this time keep your pace
steady and your intonation clear.  Be precise with the words."

The doe nodded and taking her time once again tried to activate the ward.
This time a small glow that quickly faded assured her the ward was active.

"Thank you Master Jesse," she said. "I will fetch the Master for you."

Shortly Nestor hopped onto the counter and cast a glance about the shop.

"Very good Luc," he called to the back room. "You got all the ward set."

He then directed his gaze to the bearded mage before him.

"So did you succeed in your business today?" he asked.

"Yes and I've come to fetch the last signature I need to present the letter
of request," Jesse said placing the paper before the owl. "And to carry a
certain feathered friend off to a good supper."

"Luc, quill and ink," the owl shouted to his apprentice then said to Jesse.
"So where shall we go?"

"We could do the Mule, the Hearth, Bricks is usually good," the human mage
began. "We both like about the same fare"

"Bricks was never rebuilt," the owl told Jesse with a shake of his head.
"And the land it was on is now going to be part of the Ecclecia convent."

"Convent?" the blond mage questioned as Nestor placed his name on Sib's
Journeyman letter. "I do have a lot to catch up on here."

"Well let's be on our way," Nestor suggested. "Both the Mule and the Hearth
are in the same direction so we can talk and decide on the way."

“Sounds good to me,” Jesse replied. “Would you care for a lift so you can
chat in my ear?”

For a moment the feathered mage stared at him then an avian smile spread
out on his face.

“Why yes I would, “he said as he shrunk down to natural owl size and form.
“It has been some time since I’ve done that.”

Leaping to Jesse’s arm he added.

“Just mind that hat brim.  I don’t need my crest and ear feathers brushed
all asunder.”

“I’ll do that if you mind those talons,” Jesse said feeling the owl’s firm
grip on him “This robe doesn’t need any addition opening nor does my arm.”

Both mages laughed as they walked up the street seeking a relaxed evening
of food and fellowship.