[Mkguild] The Illusive Chain (18/18) - my comments

cokane8116 at aol.com cokane8116 at aol.com
Mon Aug 14 03:34:56 UTC 2017

TheMissing Link: Resistance

Beneaththe halls of the Outpost’s keep, hidden beyond paths seldom visited and behindheavy wooden doors banded with metal against intruders, several small, isolatedcells could be found.  Since Harefordlacked the large civilian population of Metamor and often the strategicposition to host political prisoners of any sort, these isolated rooms oftenremained empty.  Even now many of themstill sat abandoned.  Only one wasoccupied, a prison with thick walls and a door that, unlike some others thathad only open bars between their occupants and freedom, was wholly solid butfor a small slot at the base of the door where food would be provided, and afew small holes just above designed so voices could travel in and out.

>>>Whats the old line?   Dongeons dark and caverns deep

Theprisoner sat against one of the walls, left in the silence and darkness todwell on his own thoughts and the events of the past few days.  Questions danced through his mind, and onlyfew answers came to him.  Still, even here,in so unpleasant a situation as this, he felt a comfort and security that hadeluded him for years.  Whatever happenednext, it would be worth it.

>>> Interesting way to feel!

Thesharp grating of metal on metal signaled that the gaoler had opened the maindoor of the cell block, and the sound of several pairs of feet walking towardshim made his ears twitch in anticipation. He had expected visitors for some time, so the only surprise was thatthey had delayed so long in arriving.

Aheavy hand pounded on his door, and a gruff voice confirmed his suspicions.

“You’vea visitor; be a good host now, would you?”

Theprisoner shifted, tilting his muzzle towards the door.  “I hear you. Who is there, and to what do I owe the pleasure?”

Anothervoice spoke: “I represent the Keep’s intelligence community; I am certain youcan appreciate my reasons for not providing much more personal detail.”  The voice was difficult to identify forcertain, likely an intentional measure as much as withholding their namewas.  It was a high voice, but it couldhave been a young man, a woman, a small animal Keeper, or even simply apracticed impressionist.  It matteredlittle, either way.

>>>Is his face blurred out like on those TV crime shows? :)

“Iexpected I would receive a visit from you eventually, though I admit I hadbegun to grow impatient.”

“Ioffer apologies if that is truly what you wish. It is a matter of some difficulty to debrief so large a number of peoplein detail while also dealing with the plague within the Keep.”

“Ipresume that means that you have left me for last?” the prisoner inquired.

>>>Last but not least

“Perhaps.  I consider you the key player in the eventsof the last several days, as well as the least trustworthy among thoseinvolved.  For now, you may consider thisan informal interview until we can manage a more thorough interrogation.  Still, you should rest assured that you willbe interrogated at our earliest opportunity, and any lie you tell me now willcost you then.”

>>>A nice polite threat

Theprisoner sighed.  “Likewise, you can restassured that I have no intention of deceiving you during our conversation.  Ask what you will; I will answer truthfully,and in as much detail as you require.”

Thespy paused before continuing, but he spoke decisively when he did.  “Very well. I wish to know who you are, whose interests you represent, and what yourinterest is in the assassin Vincent Lois.”

Thewolf in the cell nodded and took a few moments to gather his thoughts.  “There is much to say about all of thosequestions,” he replied.  “I can answer insimple terms in a few minutes, or I can provide context if that would betterserve your purposes.”

>>>Short and simple or the complete truth

“Somecontext would be helpful, I imagine.  Canyou limit your answer to the events since you came to Outpost?”

Nathanconsidered for a few moments and nodded. “I believe that would provide sufficient background information.  If I started from the end of my precedingpatrol, when first I was directed to come here, I should be able to include allof the important details.”

“Beginwhenever you are ready.  If I have aquestion I will stop you.”

Sighing,Nathan paused for a moment to gather his thoughts.  His visitor waited patiently until he was, atlast, rewarded as the wolf began his story.

*       *       *

Formany years, I have been a thrall of a mysterious group of figures which havecontrolled me from the shadows.  If Icould provide more insight into the exact nature of their influences upon me Iwould, but all I know is that they were able to appear to me from within mymind, and I was powerless to resist whatever orders they give me.  While my own will was in control for most ofthe time, whenever my Masters gave me a mission I was forced to followthrough.  Sometimes, however, I went formonths without any contact with them. This was the case just before the events of the previous days.

>>>A mysterious enemy

Ihave always been most at home in the forest, even before the Curse gave me theform of a wolf.  Now, with the instinctsand cunning of the beast combined with my natural ability as a scout, I couldnot help but enjoy the times I spent running through the snow in the forestsaround Metamor.  In these times, I oftenrun ahead as my patrol falls behind, so lost as I am in the freedom of themoment.  That night was just such atime.  Almost at Metamor, I dashed atreckless speeds through the trees.  Iallowed myself to hope, if just for a little while, that my Masters hadforgotten about me.

Andjust then, the world twisted around me and brought me stumbling to myknees.  The trees, the snow, the starsabove me – all twisted around me until I was left with only a void.  I grit my teeth, trying to force out thepresence before it appeared to me.  Iknew I could not hope to succeed, but I also knew I had to try.

“Nathan,your services are required.”

Panting,I raised my eyes to where the dark figure stood before me, his figure shroudedin darkness that seemed thicker than the void around him.  Often, I was contacted by this figure.  The Grandmaster.

Istumbled to my paws, facing him with grim resignation.  “Sir?” My response was automatic.

“Youand your patrol will head to the outpost of Hareford.  We have lost contact with one of our agentsin the region, and you must see to his return.”

Partof me dared to hope, but I knew there was no resisting the will of theseMasters.  “How urgent is the order?” Iasked.

“Youmust turn your patrol immediately,” was the response.  “If they require rest you may give them sometime, but be ready to move as soon as I give you the order.  We cannot be certain of where your target iscurrently, but he must be dealt with as soon as we find him again.  If you do not receive further information,ask for the man within the Outpost immediately upon your arrival.”

“Whowould I need to ask for?”

TheGrandmaster sighed, clearly unhappy with something, but he turned to direct hisanswer to me regardless.  Though heturned his face to me, the blank void within the cowl of his cloak would notreveal to me any of his features.  “Youseek Vincent Lois,” he said quietly. “Neither ask for him by name, nor tell your companions it is him youseek.  When you inquire, say merely thatyou received a call for help and are seeking the source of that call.”

>>>Ok - you did blank out his face :)

Mymouth went dry.  Vincent Lois.  He was important.  Even as secretive as my Masters were, thatwas a name that was frequently discussed. He was the victim of experimental spells more powerful than even thosethat held myself.  If he had broken free,could that mean that it was possible for me to do the same?

“DoI kill him on sight?” I inquired.

“Exercisecaution,” my Master replied.  “You are tokill him if possible, but do not do so when killing him would put you at riskof capture.  We have reason to believethat whatever event resulted in his escape from our power was catastrophic andhas compromised his ability to provide others with information.  That should provide you with time to planyour strike.”

“Sir.”  I bowed.

Withoutanother word, the man disappeared with another twist of the world.  I was on my knees again, but now I was backin the forest, the snow drifting around my paws where I had fallen momentsbefore.  My fellows would be catching upto me soon.  I so wished to tell themthat we would continue to the Keep immediately, but I could not.  Despite my desire to escape the grasp of myMasters, I had long been resigned to the fact that, regardless of my owndesires, my paws would move in whichever direction I was directed.

Lois…Had he truly escaped their grasp?  If so,how?  Oh, if only Eli would grant me ataste of that same salvation!

Mypatrol did ask to rest that night, and I was more than happy to grant thatrequest.  While they slept, Ipondered.  Years ago, I might haveworried that my Masters could know what I thought, but I had learned throughexperience that they could direct me as they wished and see their ordersfollowed without question, but they could not detect the extent of my desire toresist.  Lois’ escape dominated mythought, and it renewed in me a hope that had been long sinceextinguished.  If he, the crowningachievement of my Master’s magic, could flee their grasp after so long, whycouldn’t I?  No doubt I would learn ofthe events that had caused his escape. Then I had only to repeat it myself to be freed!

TheGrandmaster did not contact me again that evening, and so we left for Harefordto seek out my target.  Throughout thejourney I feared that I would receive another vision with orders to killimmediately at a specific place.  I couldnot do that, not without learning the method of his escape.  Mercifully, no such orders arrived, and weentered Outpost with my original mission still intact.

Asit so happened, I did not even get the chance to inquire about Lois.  His patrol commander was at the central keepin Hareford, attempting to speak to the commander of the city seeking help forone of the members of his patrol.  Ittook only a few words of conversation to confirm that I had found my target,but it also made it clear that he would not be left alone when I arrived.  Seeking to appear trustworthy, I brought mypatrol’s mage to assist with the assassin’s plight.

Itwas clear from our arrival that Lois would be under the watch of several verypowerful and capable people.  It gave metime to think and learn about what had happened, but it also made my Mastersimpatient.  As I left the chamber laterthat first day, I found myself directed to a room away from prying eyes.  The door shut behind me, and the stones ofthe walls spun in a vortex before me, the void surrounding me once more.

“Thismission will be more difficult than expected.” The robed man stepped out of the nothingness of the void, crossing hisarms and shaking his head impatiently. “We knew Lois’ companions would be a problem if we ever needed toextract him from the Keep, but we always expected to have his expertise availableto deal with them.  For now, we must keepup appearances.”

“Whatdo you wish me to do?”

“Fornow?  Use Lois’ past as a weapon to giveyourself more time.  Express concern thathe may return to being an assassin should he be restored.  If you manage to spread enough doubt in theirminds, they may withdraw to discuss their strategy and give you an opportunityto strike.”

“Willthat not also compromise their trust in me?”

TheGrandmaster waved his hand dismissively. “They are already cautious.  Youwill say very little they are not thinking themselves.  Do your best to make your actions seemreasonable, and even a little suspicion will pass without danger.”

>>>Translation - you are disposable

“Sir.”

Again,the stones around me spiraled back in from the nothing.  I regained my bearings enough to leave theroom I had entered, and returned to my mission. Still I hoped that the mages would succeed in discovering what hadhappened to Lois.  Even the idea of beingnothing but a wolf seemed preferable to continuing to live as I did then.

Thenext day was more harrowing than anticipated. Though I successfully convinced Balrog that my misgivings were solelydue to my concern for him revealing himself, I could still feel the trust ofthe others eroding.  Even though I hopedto avoid killing Lois by whatever means necessary, I did not wish to do sobecause his companions turned on me.  Inthe end, Balrog and the mage Lucy joined together to test a hypothesis.  It seemed an impossible hope, both to me andto my Masters.  We were thoroughly caughtoff guard when their attempt succeeded, and we did not learn of it until Loishad regained his senses.  Thankfully,though the frustration of my Masters bled through the spell by which they triedto control me, I managed to remain somewhat composed and not be spitted on themoondog’s sword before the end of our meeting. At the very least, we learned that Lois had lost his memory, limitingthe damage he could do in the meanwhile.

Ileft as the rest of them went to see Lois in hopes of recovering his memory.  Again, my steps were directed to an abandonedchamber, and my return to the void now sent me reeling against the wall, evenas the stone fled from my vision.  Ipushed away from it as my Master again appeared, stepping quickly towards me asthough to strangle me.

“Howcould you have let them restore him without your knowledge?” he asked.  I only wished that another could have heardhim and realized I was not my own.

“Nodamage was done,” I replied, still bowing my head in deference as though to arespected teacher.  “Vincent Lois haslost his memory.  For how long?  I know not. Still, it presents an opportunity.”

Myheart began to beat.  Even as theconversation with the others had set me on edge, the small part of me thatstill dared to hope was inspired with an idea, and now I could only pray thatspeaking out of turn would not reveal my attempted subterfuge.

MyMaster looked at me, cowl still hiding any detail from my eyes.  “What are you saying?”  His voice revealed both interest and suspicion.  I could only continue speaking and hope hewould see the sense in it.

“Sir,Lois is ignorant of his past.  That meansthat he will likely be easy to manipulate. If I convince him that he is in danger and that he needs to fleeHareford in my company, we may be able to bring him back into your grasp ratherthan being forced to kill a valuable agent of our organization.”

Myploy was set, and I could only think to myself of every reason it should notsucceed.  It was more dangerous thansimply killing Lois, it had so many more ways that it could possibly go wrong,and if it did fail it would result in not one, but two agents becomingcompromised.  Surely it was a suggestionthat could not be honored…

“Yes…  Lois is a valuable asset.”  I had to consciously control myself to avoidvisibly expressing my disbelief.  “Itcould be risky, but the reward for success would certainly be worth thetrouble.  If you use the Dream, perhaps wecould avoid most of the added risk.”

“TheDream?”

Iwas aware of the tool that had been used by my Masters on occasion.  I am uncertain of whether it is truly part ofNocturna’s realm, or whether clever mages discovered a way to convince men thatthey were dreaming while trapping them in an illusion which they controlledthemselves, but the effect was the same. My Masters could craft a dreaming world to accomplish whatever purposethey desired, and in many cases the victim never fully separated reality fromfiction.

“Withhim beyond our grasp, you will have to construct the dream for us,” my Mastercontinued, barely paying me mind.  “Youhave enough magic to perform the task yourself, and our guidance should ensurethat your casting is successful.”  Heturned fully to me, again fixing me in his unseen gaze.  “Your task changes,” he announced.  “You will return Lois to us.  Using the Dream, you will gain hisconfidence, and then you will bring him to us. We will tell you where to go once you have succeeded.”

>>>Now that was a dumb mistake. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and back away.

Whilemy surprise that my suggestion had succeeded remained, my heart sank as theGrandmaster spoke.  I had hoped thatattempting to convince Lois that I was trustworthy would give him and his partytime to see through my ruse, and being given the order to use the Dream causedme to doubt.  The Dream would protect himfrom me, true, but it also meant that I would also be safe should I fail, andstill able to execute my orders as originally delivered.  Hope dwindled, but resolve grew where hopewas lost.  I had to escape their grasp,and this was my chance.

“Sir.”  I made the bow robotically, with barely athought, and the robed figure was once more hidden by the void.  Now I had only to wait for the night, and Iwould find some way to break free.  I hadto.

Nightfell, but not before a more eventful day than anticipated.  Before my conversation had even ended, thelynx and his fellows were ordered to perform a patrol on short notice.  The quarantine meant that the Keep had to makedue with few men on short rest, true, but the order was unchanged even afterthe situation had been explained.  Itmeant that my chances of success were only increased, and I could feel howpleased my Masters were by this development.

Itmade me sick.

WhenI sat down within the abandoned room that night to weave together a Dream, Ifelt certain that Lois would be fooled and I would leave Hareford in hiscompany before morning.  At my Masters’command, I built a dream that would draw Lois out, convince him that I wastrustworthy, and convince him to seek me out when he awoke.  All went as expected, and Lois agreed tofollow me, convinced that I was sent to save him from assassins who wanted himdead.  Then… one of my Masters appearedin the Dream without warning.  At least,that is what I supposed.  It was not theGrandmaster, but the manner of approaching me was the same.  He was furious, demanded to know why I hadnot killed Lois.  And then, my trueMasters alerted me to the deception, and I realized Lois had turned the tables,somehow confronting me in a form similar to their own.

Icannot say how I felt then.  Some part ofme was grateful that I had not been forced to lead Lois back to be dominatedonce more by our Masters, but my hopes of escape seemed now further away thanever.  Hopes dashed, I turned to rage,and I felt my Masters’ anger as well.  Itboiled within me, filling me with rage.

Andthen Lois offered to meet somewhere and face me in a battle for his life.  It was an offer only a fool would make; Loiscould, no doubt, have found a public place within the Outpost where he couldreveal my treachery before I could kill him. It would not guarantee his survival, but it would make my missionextremely difficult and at least give him a passing chance to live.  Facing me alone meant he would certainly die,or worse.

TheGrandmaster did not contact me within the void this time.  In the Dream, his voice simply echoed in mymind as clearly as though they stood beside me.

“Youmust accept.”  The voice sounded asthough he spoke through gritted teeth. “Though I am certain he lies, whatever small chance remains that he maytruly be so foolish as to meet you alone in battle must be accepted.”

Ilooked at Lois, seeing him as though time was frozen as I spoke to myMasters.  “Where should we meet?” I askedthem.

“Somewherebeyond Hareford.  It matters little.  You will defeat him and bring him to us.”

Theconnection to the Grandmaster ended here, and a final, desperate hope welledwithin me.  They had given me more thanenough liberty to venture one last gamble for freedom, even if success dependedon a desperate shot in the dark.  I toldLois to meet me at a certain lumber camp, a place I myself would not have knownbut hours before.  Alex had confided hispatrol schedule with Balrog that afternoon, and I had been near enough to hearhis words.  The lumber camp was meant tobe the site of the party’s daytime campsite. I could not be certain that they would even reach the area before allwas lost, but it gave me a reason to fight.

Loishonored his agreement to fight me in the lumber camp despite his certaindefeat.  Our battle was short andbrutal.  Without his memory, Lois hadlost his combat prowess as well.  Itaunted him, pummeled him, delayed as long as I felt I could.  Desperate, my opponent even resorted tofighting like an animal, coming at me on all fours with claws out and teethbared.  For a few moments, I thought hemight actually overcome me, but my training overcame his desperation.  Hope faded, and I prepared to bring him backto my Masters as agreed.  Then, the impossiblehappened.

>>>A miracle when most needed.

Alexarrived with his patrol, stopping me before I could incapacitate theermine.  The Grandmaster bellowed in mymind, demanded that I kill Lois and escape immediately.  Close as they were, I knew that Alex and hispatrol would not be able to stop me from following that final order.  Still, it was an order I could not refuse,and I prepared to strike the killing blow. Hope faded as I looked down at the helpless man at my feet, but Eli hadguided him by means I do not understand. He held in his grip a fetish stone, the very same object that hadgranted him freedom though intended to cause his downfall.  He turned its power towards me.  If I had been any other man, the stone wouldhave been ineffectual.  Fetish stoneshave little lasting power on most Keepers unless affixed to the victim.  To men like myself and Lois, however, thebrief resurgence of the Curse is enough to break the connection that binds usto perform our Masters’ will.  For thefirst time in a dozen years, I felt freedom, and then everything faded.

>>>Very cool

*       *       *

Nathanslumped in the cell as he finished his retelling of the events of the pastseveral days.  To him it was theculmination of years spent under the power of unknown forces, but to hisvisitor he supposed that it sounded like foolishness.  Whether his words had been well received ornot, he still felt untold relief at being able to speak openly of what hadhappened at all.

“Bothof you remained as animals for some time after the stone was used,” his visitorasked at length.  “Why was that?”

“Theconnections that had held sway over both of us went deep,” Nathan replied aftera few moments’ thought.  “To sever thatconnection was to lose a large part of ourselves in the process.” Nathan pausedto consider once more.  “I suppose it wasnot really part of ourselves that was lost, but rather something forced upon usthat we could not help but depend upon for how deeply it influenced us.  When it was removed, only confusionremained.  With time I have rememberedmuch, but at the time when I faced Lois it had been a full day and he stillremembered little.  It reinforces mybelief that he had spent many more years than I under their sway.”

“Loisstill recalls little, though if what you say is true I hope he will begin toremember more useful information as time goes on.”  The spy waited for a few moments beforeprompting Nathan once again.  “Is thereanything else you wish to say?”

“Idoubt there is much else that will be of use to you.  With my connection to my Masters broken Icannot say much more regarding their nature. Unfortunately, one part of their aim with controlling me was successful;I cannot tell you who they are, nor can I now tell you how they might havereacted to the loss of two of their agents. And, following the encounter with Lois, I have spent the hours sincerecovering my mind sitting in this cell in self-reflection.”

“Iimagine,” the spy replied.  He spent afew moments in silence, with a dull scratching sound from beyond the doormaking it clear that he was taking some sort of note.  “I appreciate your willingness to cooperate,”he said at length.  “No doubt theSpymaster will have questions for you regardless, but his interview should bemuch more agreeable to you than it might have been if you were hesitant tospeak.  I will put in a good word foryou, but with the quarantine in effect it will be some time before you can beinterrogated more officially, and I see little chance for you to be releaseduntil that point.  Are there any messagesI can take for you in the meanwhile?”

“Tellmy patrol not to worry.”  Hechuckled.  “Come to think of it, theylikely don’t need the reminder, but they will still enjoy hearing from me Iimagine.  Beyond them I don’t… well…”

“Yes?”

“Takea message to Lois for me, if you can.”

“Ofcourse.  What should it say?”

“Tellhim, ‘Thank you.’”

>>>Very cool - a nicely done story with a cool plot twist.

Ihope you have enjoyed this story.  Ittook far too long for me to finish, but I hope that it’s worth a read now thatI have finished.  If all goes well, thenext story in the arc should follow in short order.