[Mkguild] Life V: Know Your Place - D

Jack Moore jackthefrilledlizard at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 15:37:46 UTC 2017

AN: I wrote another two chapters before getting to this. At the rate I'm
going I'll be posting chapter six by the time the story is fully written,
chapter seven by the time it's fully edited, and just starting eight when
its published in the archive.

Life V: Know Your Place - D

I moved so fast smoke was still clinging to me as I got out of there. My
Lieutenant is a good man and one who at full height only comes up to my
chest. And no one scares me more in the Watch.
I returned to the first floor where Warden Remmie was waiting for me beside
the Srgt’s desk. Tibble glanced up from his ledger.
“All settled Corproal?” Tibble asked.
“Yes sir. I need to say, the Lieutenant has given me permission to pursue a
lead related to another criminal.”
“Alvaro Velasco?” I nodded. “Warden Remmie was informing me she retrieved
the arrest report for you, a report you still have correct?” I pulled the
paper out of my pants.
“Just one moment Sertgent.” I said, “I just need the adress…Okay here you
go.”  Srgt. Tibble looked over the rather extensive report. He snorted,
then began to laugh.
“Busy boy. A full career criminal. Purpose of investigation?”
“My own.” I said. Srgt. Tibble nodded. He resumed writing and dismissed me
with a nod. I headed toward the door and Remmie followed close behind.
“Warden I expected you’d already be gone by now on your daily assignment.”
“Well I mean I got one.” Remmie said. “Just the usual patrol stuff, but I
was wondering about horn head Janie. It ain’t like you to go do your own
thing.” I stopped to let Remmie catch up to me. “Triche ain’t got a problem
with you doing this?”
“No he didn’t...uh...have an issue with that.” But there was that one
thing. “Warden Remmie I must apologise to you?”
“What for?” Her tail curled up when she asked. I’ve noticed it did that
whenever she was suspicious. “Janie you ain’t asked for anything I wouldn’t
do.”
“That may be,” I said, “But while you are my subordinate, you take
assignment from Tibble and from Triche. They gave you an assignment and I
commandeered you for my own investigation. That was wrong of me.” Remmie
just waved.
“Janie you’re my friend. I love helping you.”
“Again that may be.” I interrupted, “But I could have gotten you in
trouble. I promise I won’t ask you to go against the orders of our Srgt. or
Lieutenant again.” How long ago did I make that promise? Oh Eli how long
was it before I tossed that promise out?

“Alright, alright…” Remmie’s eyes narrowed. A grin followed, showing all of
her small, razor sharp teeth. “You wanna make it up to your wonderful and
sexy gecko friend?” I frowned.

“What do you want Warden?” She laughed.

“Nothing to hard. You taking bull-boy to the Deaf Tent? After you’re done
with him, I want ya to find someone else.”

“I’m not looking for a sexual encouter.” I said. My subordinate shook her
head.

“No I mean someone to talk to just to talk to.” She said. “Someone not
connected to work or your son. Like a friend.”  That gave me pause

'I’ve now hear that twice today.'  Remmie was the second person after Mrs.
Aubrah to claim I had no personal life.  Two people saying that within an
hour of each other made me wonder, 'Am I too obsessed with my work?'  My
tail thumped hard now. 'No I have my powers and training Velasco once I
find him. That doesn’t have anything to do with the Watch.'

“Janie I just worry about ya.” Remmie said. “I never see you at the Happy
Egg Club. You don’t hang out with other scaletails or...well anyone do ya?
If you don’t have some fun-fun you time, you’re gonna go crazy.” Now the
thumping went a mile a minute.

'Two people within a few hours have said the exact same thing about me. And
they;re both worried about me.  They care about me, but I don’t want their
concern.'  My thumping stopped, 'Are they right?  Even if they’re not would
it kill me? I wouldn’t mind more semi-human interaction.'

“One person?” I asked. My gecko partner nodded. “One person. I can do that
much.” I said. That got Remmie grinning.

“Good Janie, I hope you have a lot of fun tonight.” She said. By now Remmie
was almost vibrating. “And I hope ya make a new friend, you need one.” I
held up a hand.

“I will do my best Warden. Do not hug me.” I slid out the door before she
could, smacking into a furry wall.

“Oof!” A Linsang in red and black bounced onto the ground from crashing
into me. Members of the Watch frequently have people try tackling them, we
go rigid whenever people hit us.

“Sebastian?” The Linsang gave me a smile. I helped him to his feet. “You
took Chamomile. Why are you here.”

AN: I feel the section is awkward at moments like when Janelle is moving
through a door or turning to face Remmie.  Moments like that when I read
them seem clunky to me.  Any suggestions to improve them, or am I obsessing
over something that isn't broken?  Just little moments, especially
concerning body language feel awkward when I read them.