[Mkguild] Life As We Know It XVII

Jack Moore jackthefrilledlizard at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 00:30:07 UTC 2017

Life As We Know It - XVII

I escorted her out.  I could have questioned her more, but Chamomile’s own
confession was damning.  How do I overcome that?
If you ever find yourself investigating a crime like I did, here is
something to remember.  Your goal is not to overcome the evidence.  Your
goal is to solve the mystery and bring justice to all those involved.
Justice is the one thing I know I can always believe in.  It is impersonal
and uncaring.  It doesn’t matter if you were born the weakest begger or the
greatest king.  No one is above justice.  That includes Duke Thomas,
Andwyn, Triche and even myself.  If we commit a crime, we will be punished
accordingly.  The goal of the investigator is to figure out the mystery
around the crime.
“And what have I found out?  I don’t have anything but a confession…” I
laughed, “And the thoughts of a woman I can’t share with anyone.  Thoughts
are hardly evidence now are they?”  I sat down in my chair.  “Oh Eli help
me here.”
 was in our interrogation room by myself.  The quiet was what I desperately
needed.  It gave me a degree of peace.  “Okay, where did I find Chamomile?
Go there, canvas the area and look for other witnesses.  See if anyone
else…else what?  I can’t get information from Chamomile…”
I had tried again but now my prisoner wouldn’t deign to talk to me.  I had
no idea where she was staying or what she had been doing over the last
week.  What I knew was where I had arrested her and what I found on her.
'She had some twine on her.  What does that tell me?  Not a blasted thing.
But I can head to the street where I found her at least. Maybe find some
people who remember seeing her around…'
“Nothing else for me to do.  When all else fails, scour for witnesses.  I
can do that much.”  Not much of a goal but it pushed me forward and out of
that room.  As I exited the Watch House I almost ran smack into someone
coming in.
“Oh Janie!” Remmie chirped, “Glad to see you, I got me some news.” I sighed.
“Yes and I will be very glad to hear it Warden but right now I am on a
deadline, I need to be leaving.”  Remmie’s pea-soup eyes narrowed.
“Deadline?  You got a case or something?”  I nodded.  “Well, you want
help?  I was told to take the rest of the day off, so I can be your legs!”
 That idea hardly appealed to me.  I mean, who wants to lead someone this
energetic in an investigation like this?  Instead of yelling though, I
thought about it.
''A Sergeant does need to be able to manage an investigation.  This would
be a great way to prove I could….' I smiled at Remmie. 'Besides, I still
think she’ll be a good Warden. Let’s see if I’m right.'
“Alright Warden.  You want to help?  You can help.  You’ll help by doing
all the grunt work.”
“Done.” Remmie said.  Good response.  When I worked my first case that was
what I had to do as well.  I nodded.
“You will not talk back or question my orders, understood?  I give an
order, you follow.”  Remmie nodded.  I Tapped her mind and found a sense of
resolve.  She would follow my orders and do what I needed.  “Alright then,
follow me.  I’ll give you the details of the case as we go.”