[Mkguild] Life As We Know It XVI

Jack Moore jackthefrilledlizard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 04:57:18 UTC 2017

AN: As mentioned I haven't read The Winter Assault in a long time and my
memory isn't great. So apologies for mistakes made.

Life As We Know It - XVI

Metamor Keep

March 31st, 707

23 Hours remaining
What do you do when you begin a case with no leads, no suspects and no
evidence?  You leads, suspects and evidence to give your investigation some
direction.  Which was what I was currently doing, sitting with Lacie in our
“interview” room.
Lacie wasn’t making eye-contact with me.  She had her tail pulled into her
lap and kept stroking it.  I snapped my fingers to get her attention.
“I am sorry this doesn’t interest you, but you are my main witness.  I want
to know everything.” I said.  “We’d not be holding this woman at all were
it not for your testimony.”
“You have my testimony.” Lacie said.  “I work as a washwoman, I take
people’s clothes for them.  If I don’t do it, I don’t get paid.  I need to
be going right now.”
“Well you’re going to have to take a sick day.” I said.  “You testified
that woman we’re holding is a murderer and she seems to corroborate it.
How do you even remember her?”  Lacie’s eyes narrowed.
“I’m good with faces.  And more importantly good with people trying to kill
me.”  I frowned.
“Lots of people were trying to kill you.” I said.  “They were trying to
kill all of us.  Generally in a seige, everyone in the city is the enemy.”
“Well I remember this enemy.” Lacie said.  “I saw her supervising a team of
mercenaries.”  I frowned.
“Why on Earth would she be supervising mercenaries?” I asked.
“Excuse me?”
“Chamomile is a mage.  She should be setting buildings on fire.  She hardly
screams tactical genius.”  Lacie looked down at the table.  Tapping her
mind revealed feelings of uncertainty but she was sure that Chamomile was
at the Assault, working for Nasoj.
“I-I it’s really weird.” Lacie said.  “But I know beyond a doubt that she
was there and she is our enemy.  She wore a black tunic, black linen pants,
a velvet lined cloak with a small tear on the left side.”  My surprise must
have shown.  Lacie laughed.  “I’m very good with clothing.  I tie faces to
outfits.”
“Your memory is impressive.” I said.  “So you watched her?”  Lacie shook
her head.
“Not for long.  I was more interested in fleeing.  But I remember one
curious thing.”  Lacie’s gaze went cloudy.  She seemed to be looking
through me, back into the past.  “One of the mercenaries took an arrow
through the throat.  I don’t know if it was our archer or an accidental
misfire.”
“Both possible in such a situation.” I said.
“Yes but this part was strange.  The woman, Chamomile?  She took the time
to try and heal the mercenary…”  For the first time I paused. 'Interesting.'
“A mercenary is a hired sword.  If one dies shouldn’t matter to her.  Why
did she?” I asked. Lacie shrugged.
“I don’t know.  The odd part is their was another one there, I’m certain
working for the enemy.” Lacie’s whiskers drooped.  “This other person
was…odd.
“Like that woman they were in all black.  They had a sword though and
started arguing with that Chamomile.  And then they took their sword and
stabbed that injured mercenary.”  Lacie shook her head.  “I don’t know why.”
“The same reason you do with a horse that breaks its leg.” I said.  “The
goal is move fast and hit hard.  No time to treat the wounded.”  I nodded.
My thoughts began to race in every direction.
“That was when I saw her.” Lacie said.  “I’d love to tell you more but I
can’t.  You see, I was fleeing for my life.  Now” She stood up, “I’m ready
to go.”