[Mkguild] Life As We Know It XX

Jack Moore jackthefrilledlizard at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 01:40:39 UTC 2017

Life As We Know It - XX

South of Metamor

699
I remember the crickets chirping.  And I remember my disappointment.  All
of that work, and I didn’t feel any different.  And no one seemed to care.
I didn’t expect a party for succeeding in my test.  I didn’t expect anyone
to celebrate.  What I did expect were congratulations from the others.  And
I did get some…from Sotto.  Umaro and Mirna after my test spent the rest of
their day in their tent, only coming out for dinner.
And what a dinner it was.  Nothing quite as nice as sitting in silence
around a camp fire, no one able to bear looking at each other.  I got a
smile out of Sotto but indiference out of the others.  I wanted to Tapp
their minds, their had to be some reason they weren’t happy for my
success.  But the two of them seemed to radiate power, so I decided against
Tapping.
'They’d know what I was trying.  Then I’d be in real trouble.' So I sat in
silence.  Finally the dinner from hell ended and we each retired to our
tents.  I went into Sotto’s, I had more to talk about.
“How do you feel Janelle?” I shrugged.  “Better?”
“I needed some rest.”  I said.  “I do feel better now I guess.  Things
are…okay…”  The tent was lit by a lantern in the corner.  Beside the
lantern was Sotto’s bag, stuffed tight and with a single knife strapped to
the side.  He saw me looking at it.
“When you find a warrior spirit, you’ll need a weapon as well.” Sotto said,
smiling.  “The spirit will choose your weapon.”  I nodded.  Sotto’s face
was almost invisible in the dark of the tent.  The golden glow seemed to
grow smaller with each flicker of the flame.
“I wish I could tell people about my abilities.” I said.  “I mean, we’re
mages too essentially.  Why should we hide what makes us special?”
“Because people don’t understand.” Sotto said.  “Being able to read minds,
to speak to the dead?  This scares most people.  I know full well.”  He
glanced away.  “I told someone once.”  I perked up at this.  Outside the
crickets were chirping.
“When?”
“Oh along time ago,” Sotto said.  He gave a small laugh, “It was a very
long time ago.  During the best time of my liffe with the woman of my
dreams.  Her name was Devone.  She reminded me of you.”
“She did?”
“Red hair, winning smile and a low tolerance for lies.  Yeah she reminded
me a lot of you.” He sighed.  “But she didn’t handle the idea her boyfriend
could read her mind very well.  She became worried about thinking out of
turn…and I regret how I reacted.”
The flames in the lantern began to die, shrinking the golden halo.  It left
Mr. Sotto almost completely in dark.  I heard nothing but his heavy
breathing.  “That was a long time ago. I don’t want you to ever have to go
through what I did.”
“Thank you sir.” I said.  Sotto began to say something, but the words
seemed to catch in his throat.  “Sir?”
“Janelle…you’re now a full Enlightened.  I think it’s time I tell you about
these jars…” He swallowed, “And about how I acquired the spirits inside of
them.”
I remember outside the crickets were chirping.