[Mkguild] Life As We Know It XXII

Jack Moore jackthefrilledlizard at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 16:13:34 UTC 2017

Life As We Know It - XXII

Chamomile’s room was the room at the very end of the hall, in the odd
corner where to walls met at an extreme angle.  The hallway here was darker
and the floors dustier.  No one had been through here in quite a while.
What I noticed right away about her room was the window.  It was in the
shadow of the buildings of the Keep, but it also looked down on the streets
people traveled.  I could see them thronging about, moving rapidly from one
destination to another.  “Well, at least you can now see them…”
The desk in this room was right under the window.  Her desk had three
empty, small metal plates on it and many candle grease stains.  I picked up
one of the plates.  “Fur…”  A few small hairs clung stubbornly to the
metal.  I sat the plate down again.  “You were using the fur to test your
work.”
The room otherwise looked like a danker version of the first two.  The room
was a lot lower due to the odd angles of the walls.  The bed was wedged
into one corner as tight as it could go, and it didn’t look like it had
seen any use.
In fact, none of this looked like it had seen any use except the desk.  I
noted the floor creaked as I walked over it.  “What were you doing in
here?”  I returned to the desk.  The grease of many many candles greeted me.
“Okay you’ve melted down a lot of candles?  Why so many late nights?
Because you were working on something.  And I’m pretty sure I know what.”
 I rubbed my eyes.  “I wonder….”
I examined the hairs as best I could.  Not easy to do when you have only
your fat fingers to pick them up.  Still…. 'Now that’s something new.'
These hairs were bristly at the top, but the further down you went the less
stiff they were.  'Interesting…'