[Mkguild] Life As We Know It XXIII

Jack Moore jackthefrilledlizard at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 00:22:19 UTC 2017

Life As We Know It - XXVIII

Seventeen Hours Remaining
Remmie and I met up back at the Watchhouse.  The sun had almost set by now
and it was threatening to rain.  Exactly what you need when working is a
cold damp chill.  I had just finished filling Remmie in on everything I
found.  Her eyes narrowed into slits.
“What does it mean Janie?”
“Corporal Janelle.” I corrected.  “And I’m not certain.  I have an idea but
I don’t know if it’s valid…sorry.” I sighed.  “Something about that room
bothered me and I can’t figure out what.”
“You said she’s a scholar.” Remmie said.  “What does a scholar need?” I
shrugged.
“Supplies, which would be the hair and the like.  A place to work, which
she had.  Research materials.”
“Which I have.” Remmie said, fishing a scrap of parchment from her pocket.
 “I uh got a list of some of the books she looked at.  Chamomile only
looked at stuff from after the curse.  Hell, almost all of it was about the
curse.”  I nodded.
'Exactly what I thought.'
“She also rented some books on biology, few books on animals.  Everything
else though was about the curse.”  Remmie looked up from the list.  “What
does that mean?”
“It means Chamomile is here because of the curse.” I said.  “What that
means?  I don’t know.  And as of noon tomorrow, it won’t matter, because
she’ll be in Andwyn’s custody.  He’ll get an answer.”  Remmie nodded.
“Why not just turn her in?”  Remmie asked.  I turned to her.
“Excuse me?”
“Why not just let Andwyn’s fancy boy take her away?  Let Chamomile be
someone else’s problem.”  Now dear listener, realize I wasn’t just mad.  I
was furious.  I had to take a moment just to calm myself before I could
respond.
“Remmie,” I grit my teeth, “Do you think I am doing this just because it
pisses off Andwyn?”  Remmie grinned.
“Well I would be because—
“Stop grinning!” I snapped.  Remmie’s eyes opened wide as ashcans.  She did
stop grinning.  “I despise Andwyn and all spies like him.  But I am not
doing this because I despise him.  I am doing this because I am a member of
the Watch.
“Being a member of the Watch means you put the purpose of your assignment
beyond your feelings.  In the Watch you resolve crimes.  You match justice
to the crime committed.  And if someone is lying to you, you find out why.
“Chamomile is lying, she’s not a murderer, or at least not at the Yule.  I
don’t know why she’s doing it, but I know this.  As a Warden, it is my duty
to find out why.  We wear this lantern because we are supposed to be lights
in the darkness Remmie.  We expose lies and find the truths they seek to
conceal.”  I stood up.  “That is why I won’t hand her over.  Not until I’ve
found out the truth or run out of time.”
“That’s…really something.” Remmie said.  “I…I don’t know what to say.”  I
shrugged.
“It is what it is.” I said.  “It’s my perspective on what we do.  You’ll
have to decide why it is you do this.” Remmie nodded.  “I have to be
getting home, my nanny is two hours over due to get home and my son needs
me.  We will resume early tomorrow, understood?”
“Yeah I got it Janie.” Remmie stood up.  “Thank you Janelle.”  I gave her a
nod before leaving.