[Mkguild] Life As We Know It V

Jack Moore jackthefrilledlizard at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 04:00:21 UTC 2017

Life As We Know It - V

The Guard House is a building so forgettable I sometimes don’t recognize
it.  And I’ve been at the same house for as long as I’ve been back in
Metamor Keep.  To find it, you have to find the lantern.  The light that is
always burning.
I know that lanterns are everywhere.  We need them if we’re going to have
light.  But a Watchhouse always has a lantern hanging over the doorway.
It’s a distinct, round lantern that matches the one on my tabard.  And it
is never extinguished.
I’ve seen the lantern over our Watchhouse out twice.  Once during the Three
Gates.  The other time during the last Yule.  It symbolizes the Watch.  As
the light never goes out, so too do we never cease.
'Yesterday I didn’t have much time to look for the bull.  Hopefully I’ll
get some time today.' The Watchhouse was usual quiet.  Upon entering I
almost smacked into a Tarsier.
“Hello Corporal Janelle.” The Warden said.
“Hello Isaac.”  Isaac was the one and only mage in our Watchhouse.  We’re
supposed to have four to each Watchhouse for magic related crime.  We’re
also supposed to not be understaffed and underpaid.  Such is life.
Our only mage was a Tarsier.  What do you mean you don’t know what that
looks like?  You should memorize all the various species in Metamor as I
did, you never know when it might help.  Anyway, think of a monkey with
gecko eyes and a rat tail.  His tabard was a tent of blue fabric.
Isaac was for some reason standing in the entranceway, muzzle in a leather
bound volume.  His massive green eyes were flicking through at the speed of
sound.  His tail, as it did when he was in thought, was wrapped around his
neck.
“You have a desk.” I said.  “Why not go and read there?”  Did you know I
might soon be your new Sergeant?  Yes I was anxious.  But at the same time,
I wanted someone to acknowledge my good fortune.
“Idea hit me, will lose at desk.  Must focus now.” Isaac said.  Yes He
always did sound this clipped.  “Order for magic, demanding task.”
“Yes it is.  I’ll see you out there Isaac.” 'I wonder how you’d feel about
working for me?  Would you want me as a sergeant.' Isaac gave a half
hearted wave.  I slipped past him.
Watchhouses are dark, cramped and almost labyrinthian.  Half of the bottom
floor is made of holding cells.  The few other rooms were the briefing
room, the Watchhouse library (now with one full bookcase!), two storage
rooms, and the pen where all our desks were.  This may seem inefficient but
it means if a criminal tries to escape, they need to know the twisting
hallways to find the front door.
I made my way through the shadowed hall to Srgt. Tibble’s desk.  Already
there was Warden Bantry, supporting a drunken spiny-tail lizard.
“Anyway, when I got there he was trying to break down his employers door.”
Bantry said, “But he was so sloshed.  I mean, like so sloshed.  Trying to
break down the door by headbutting it!  So in my capacity for mean justice,
I figure two days in a cell could help him.
“Cell number four is empty.” Tibble said, scratching on his ledger.  “Take
him immediately.”  The spiny-tailed lizard cocked his head looking at
Tibble.
“You know…you look like the pork chop I had last week.” Tibble rolled his
eyes.
“Let’s go spiny-hiney” Bantry said.  He jerked the spiny-lizard through the
door, into the holding cells.  I swallowed.
“Corporal please come forward.” Tibble said without changing his position.
I approached, my hands clasped beside my back.  “No open cases for you.
Triche is assigning you watch duty today.  By yourself.”  I frowned.
“By myself?  Shouldn’t I have a Warden with me?”  So Triche can see how
skilled I am as a leader?
“Triche wants you by yourself today.” Tibble said.  “Says monitor the
city.  If you find a crime in commission, begin the investigation
yourself.”  I nodded.
'Only if I find a crime.' I thought. 'Still as a Sergeant I will be
investigating cases by myself.' Tribble kept writing in his leger, scared
side of his face facing me.  Come on, Triche had to tell you what he wants
to do with me.  I’m not proud of it, but I really wanted someone to mention
I could soon be a Sergeant.
“I’ll get right to work Sergeant.” I said.  Tibble nodded.
“That will be all Corporal.  Dismissed.”  I saluted and spun around.
Because of how narrow the hall was I bumped into Remmie as I left.
“Oh hey Janie!” Remmie chirped.  “Leaving already?  We’re not together
today?”  I shook my head.  “Damn, it’s always fun when we’re together.
“Triche wants me to do a patrol by myself.”  Remmie’s eyes focused on me.
 “I might actually soon be undergoing a change in position soon Warden.  I
mean nothing for sure.”
“You’re finally going to get promoted!”  Remmie lept on me in an embrace.
 “I knew it!”  Remmie’s big arms squeezed me until my ribs ached.
 “Congratulations.”  I blushed through my scales.
“Thank you Warden.” I managed to loosen her vice like grip.  “Now I must be
off.”
“Alright, you get too it.” Remmie said.  “If you want, when you do get
promoted, you should come with me to the Deaf Mule tent for a drink.  It’ll
be fun.”
“I have to get promoted first.” I said.  “And I’m not interested.”  Remmie
shrugged.  I had to refuse you see.  I am her superior, sharking a drink
would be too unprofessional.  Besides time spent drinking is time spent
working.