[Mkguild] MK Story Journeys part 1

cokane8116 at aol.com cokane8116 at aol.com
Wed Mar 15 04:18:44 UTC 2017

   Here is a new Metamor Keep story!

   Chris
   The Lurking Fox

Journeys and Destinations
By Christian Okane

Takes place after http://metamorkeep.com/story/Taking_Account.php   in April 708.
Also read http://metamorkeep.com/story/Pondering_the_Past.phpfor more information

   Edmund had kept the retinuesmall. Only forty soldiers and brothers would accompany him on the trip. Thosewere enough to scare off any bandits or raiders. Along with them were three wagonsfilled with supplies. At the head of this small group a woman in full armorcarried a pole from which hung a banner. The banner was of dark blue and had agold Follower Cross on it. It marked this small group as an official processionof the Order of Protectors. While their weapons and size would keep mostbandits at bay the banner would scare off any meddling or overly hostilenobles. It was also sure to attract a lot of attention.

   Edmund could go covertly, justhimself and a few others and easily and quietly make the trip. He had done suchthings before in the past but the paladin wanted people to know that this was agroup of the Order of Protectors. Letting all know that the order was in thearea and there to stay. It was sure to stir up trouble and it was an unsubtlemessage to Lord Donel that the order would oppose the man's ambitiousexpansion.

*******************

  At Castel Roegh theKnightmaster of the Order of Protectors was also preparing for a journey. Hewas traveling with a far larger retinue. Besides himself there was a closeguard detachment of twenty Knightbrothers. another one hundred Lay swords andtwo wandering Brothers (whose special skills were always useful). All were tohelp protect the two hundred lay brothers and servants and ten wagons full ofthe records and material that went along with running a large organization likethe Order of Protectors. Also two more wagons came along for the food andsupplies needed for the trip.

   In spite of the short time andthe number of people involved. things went remarkably well. Still there weresome issues. There just weren't enough wagons to haul all the needed material.So after unloading at the destination the wagons would make a second trip. PatriciaSamantha Fitz Hues (wife of Lay brother Joseph Fitz Hues) was in her thirdtrimester. No one wanted to risk mother or unborn child so the couple wouldremain behind. Their skills with the bow would be missed but all wished themwell.

   The distance involved intraveling from Cantel Roegh to Chough castle and then on to Kelewair didn’toverly worry the Knightmaster. Even though it meant traveling across most of  the width of the Southern Midlands. The roadsbetween the two points were well maintained and the weather was good.

   What worried Kenward was who theywould meet along the way. They were traveling through an area that was highlypopulated and had recently suffered through the brutal civil war. One of theafter effects was this very journey. He knew the route. As a Knight of theOrder of Protectors he had traveled it many times. There were few places hehadn’t gone over the years of serving the order.

   The Southern Midlands like allof the Midlands was badly divided religiously. Half the population wasLightbringer, a pagan faith with a bewildering array of many gods and goddesses.They were diametrically opposed to the monotheistic faith of the Followers andthe two groups had clashed and fought many times over the centuries. Of theremaining half most were Follower but a good portion were the misguidedRebuilders. A group who, although they worshiped the Great One opposed. (oftenviolently) on HOW to worship him. With some of the Rebuilder sects it was hardto tell that they weren’t Ecclesia. So trivial were the differences from theTrue faith. But some were very odd. Even in more peaceful times it made for atrying trip. With tensions and emotions running high after the civil war itmade it all the more difficult. It was why he was taking along so many Knightbrothersand Lay swords. Their combat skills might be needed.

   He was placing great hope inthe two Wandering Brothers. Both brothers Sedgewick and Aelfrick were paladins.Being a knightbrother of the order was difficult. Being a priest was equallydifficult. But a real paladin mixed both the rules and measures of a knightwith the vows of a priest. It made for a difficult path that few could follow butthose difficulties had their own rewards. They could dispel the undead, healthe sick and injured and accomplish other impressive feats of faith. Both had along history of working with people. Of being able to solve problems by wordand prayer rather than by sword and bow. Something all too rare in theMidlands.

*******************

   The City of Laselle itself wasdecently if unimaginatively laid out. Its city walls were square with a gate oneach of its four walls. The western wall hugged close to the river that broughtso much trade. The western road left the western gate and crossed the river onan overly grandiose bridge of stone. It then ran arrow straight to the sea ofStars. The road itself was an old empire construction and had stood up to thecenturies well. The road that ran from the east gate went continued east andeventually reached the city of Midtown. But it didn’t stop here. Instead itcontinued onward before ending in the town of Medalia.

   Sitting at the mouth of theMetamor valley meant that as many times as the valley had been invaded anddestroyed, So had Laselle. It left all of its citizens a touch paranoid and itswalls were tall, thick and studded with many towers.

   Laselle was geographically tothe west of Midtown but it was politically midway between Metamor Keep andMidtown. The Duke and Lord Donel were at odds for control of the importanttown. There are two factions that vie for control of the city government. Itshowed in the treatment Stealth received. Some people were friendly andhelpful, while others showed hatred. Most seemed to waver in between showingsomething between indifference, disgust and nervousness. But all were quitehappy to take his coin when he showed interest in buying something. Stealth wasnot here to shop. He was here to see what the town was like and to meetsomeone.

   Edmund had stopped his smallgroup outside the city in a small grove of trees just out of sight of Laselle.“The order has sent a Lay brother as a guide. He’s meeting us in Laselle. Iwant you to find him and bring him here.”

   “That’s it?” Stealth asked.

   The paladin shook his head.“No. We have heard rumors of,” he paused for a moment. “Problems between thepeople of Laselle and Keepers.”

   Stealth tilted his head to oneside. “Problems? You mean Keepers being attacked? Or just being rude.”

   “We’re not sure,” Edmundresponded. “Mostly word of harassment but no open attacks.”

   “You want me to find out,”Stealth responded. “Go and see what occurs?”

   Edmund patted his friend onthe shoulder. “I know that you have the common sense to avoid trouble and theskills to get out of it if something happens.”

   Moving at a moderate pace (makingsure to not too fast or too slow) so as to not attract attention the cheetah madehis way through the town. He would occasionally pause at a shop or at somevendor but he always kept his true destination in mind.

   It stood in the center of thecity where the two old, empire roads crossed. Literally. It was a tall, squatrectangular building at least forty or fifty feet high. It was made of a toughstone that had weathered to a smoky gray through centuries of battering byweather and armies. At first Stealth thought it was a massive gate tower. Itsmost unusual feature being that it had gates on all four sides instead of justthe usual two.  Massive, thick woodendoors bound with iron stood open but were ready to be closed at a moment’snotice. But as he got closer he saw things that confused him.

   The battlements on top were ofstone of a different color and were obviously a much latter addition. The wallsshould have been smooth but they were covered with nooks, niches and alcoves.All manner of things that recessed into the stone or protruded from it. Thereseemed to be no rhyme or reason to them but as he got closer Stealth saw thatmost were empty but several held the battered remains of what might have oncebeen statues. Above, below and alongside those were the remains of writing inold Suiel, carved into the stonework. None of the writing was complete. Justparts and pieces of words and sentences that made no sense.

   Over the gate in front of himwas a particularly large niche. It held a battered, stone torso that was barelyrecognizable as being human. It had no head or arms and just two chipped andcracked bits below that might be legs. Above the niche was writing in large,bold lettering. “HAIL EMPOROR TAGIL . . . CONQUER . . .“ Nothing else was legible.

   Stealth looked around. The plazawas filled with people headed about on their own errands. Some were simplymoving through going to places unmentioned. Some were browsing the shops andbooths that lined the edges of the open area. All of them seemed intent ontheir own business and paying him no mind.

   It was a quiet sound that cameto his sensitive feline ears. He heard it over the hustle and bustle of thetown around him. It was the soft rusting of leaves. A sound so out of place ina town. A shiver ran down his spine. Stealth slowly turned around and lookedagain at the monument.

   Gone was the battered graytower of stone. In it’s place was a tall, towering victory monument clothed allin white marble. Its sides were covered with statues of proud, courageous,legionnaires killing tall warriors who all seemed to be naked and wielding longswords and spears.

   The thick wooden doors thatcould close the archways was gone, He looked up at the place over the arch atthe niche. There stood the statue of a tall man dressed in the full ceremonialarmor of a Legion general. He had a proud, regal look on his face. “ALL HAILEMPOROR TAGILLINUS CAVARILLI CONQUEROR OF MARACTANIA” were the words over thestatue.

   “Are you all right sir?”

   Stealth turned away from thestrange tower and looked in the direction of the voice.

   Standing next to him was a manslightly taller than himself. He was black haired and had a full beard andmustache. He was wearing a shirt and breeches of a dark brown and had on tallboots. Over the shirt he had a short coat of dark blue. In the center was agold Follower cross. A short sword in a plain scabbard hung from his belt and abox was strapped to his back.

   Stealth turned and looked backat the tower. It had returned to it’s modern, battered and worn appearance. “I. .  I was just looking at the monument.”

   “It was built to celebrateemperor Tagillinus’ conquest of what’s now Northern Midlands in -570,” the manexplained. “This is the place where the last Centli chieftain Louerniossurrendered.”

   Stealth gave a chirp oflaughter. “It’s pretty battered.”

   “It’s over a thousand yearsold,” the man responded. “It’s a miracle that it’s survived at all.”

   “It was pretty impressive backbefore the invasion.” Stealth commented.

   “It’s still impressive now.”The man put his right hand to his chest and bowed. “I am Lay brother Emile Mosin.Your guide.”

   The cheetah returned thegesture. “I am Stealth and I’m glad to meet you.”

   “Brother Delacot is close by?”Emile asked.

   “Just outside of town,” Stealthresponded. “Please follow me.” He turned and looked at the monument and saw itwas still in it’s old, worn form. Then he turned and hustled off down thestreet.

*************

   In the small tent that Edmundand Stealth shared a council was held. Aside from the two cheetahs Terrie wasthere. Also with them was Emile.Stretched out on the table in front of them was a map of the Northern Midlands.

   “Which way do we go now?”Terrant asked. “We can follow the main route and go east but that takes usthrough Midtown. Lord Donel is sure to stop us. I know you want to confront himbut that is a taking him on at his strongest.”

   “We could avoid Midtown,”Stealth responded. “But how? The main road goes through Midtown.”

   “I was born and raised in thearea,” Emile said. “I know every road and trail and there are ways aroundMidtown.”

   “We can’t go east,” Stealthsaid. “So we must take the road south or west. The west road leads to the Seaof Stars and eventually Menth and Soran.”

   “And south?” Edmund asked. Hetraced the road south of the city with his finger. The river flowed south outof Laselle and the road followed it. Some miles south the river branched intotwo smaller ones and road split too. Each smaller road following one of theriver branches. One branch meandered west and eventually reached the Sea ofStars. The other branch went south and ended in a large green spot.

   “That is Tearmann marsh,”Emile commented.

   “I’ve traveled the main road manytimes but I’ve never left the road. Never been in that marsh.” Terry said.

   “No reason you should,” thescout answered. “The road detours around it for a very good reason. Travelthere is difficult at best. It’s even parts earth, water and mud. Lots and lotsof mud. Travel by walking or riding isn’t possible because of the mud andwater. But the water is too shallow to really use large boats.”

   “How are we supposed to getacross?” Edmund asked.

   “There is a trail that picksup where the empire road ends,” the Lay brother commented. “It crosses usingthe few bits of hard ground that there are. For the rest it uses a causeway, alow bridge, to cross over the worse parts.”

   “What is the causeway like?”Terry asked.

   “It’s wood and about five tosix feet wide,” Emile answered.

   Terrant made a painedexpression. “That’s barely wider than the wagons.”

   “What happens if we run into acaravan going the other way?” Stealth asked.

   “There are various islandsalong the path. Some large enough to hold the whole group. “The trail leavesthe marsh here,” Emile said and pointed to a spot south of Midtown. It thenheads east and ends at a spot south of Medalia.” He tapped a spot on the map tothe south of Midtown, close to the Great Barrier Range. “There’s a small roadthat heads south from there.”

   “What’s that road like?”Edmund asked.

   The lay brother traced hishand along a faint line on the map. It hugged close to the mountains followingeach curve and twist of the terrain. “Been a long time since I was on it. It’snot paved like the main road but it was in good shape. It skirts the mountainsbefore it ends in Kormley. It’s not straight like the main road and it will addseveral full days to the trip.”

   “I don’t mind the extra timeinvolved,” Edmund said calmly. “But I will not skulk around in the wilderness.I want people to know of this trip.”

   Emile was quiet for a momentand seemed to be counting to himself. Ticking off numbers with his fingers.“We’ll pass through at least eight, good sized villages.” He tapped severalspots of the map. Each representing a town or village.

*******************

   They left before dawn whenmost of Laselle was either still asleep or just waking up. The group packedquietly and quickly. Then they headed south, moving quickly but not tooquickly. They didn’t want to be seen as fleeing. But they also wanted as fewpeople as possible to see them at all.

   Dawn found them several milessouth of the city and moving along a road whose stone had been laid down almosta millennia before. Roads branched off at irregular intervals heading indifferent directions but the main road continued south following the riverclosely.

   Finally, they came to wherethe river branched into two separate parts as did the road. One branch with itsroad went west to the Sea of Stars. The other continued south.

   The passage of the centurieshad worn the stones smooth but they were still strong and the road flat. Theypassed mile stones at regular intervals that marked the distance fromsomewhere. But the numbers shown didn’t match the miles to Laselle or Midtown.The further they south they went the higher the numbers became.

   They passed small towns andvillages interspersed between fields of wheat and corn as they traveled. Thepeople there gazing at them with a mix of curiosity and confusion. The villagesgrew smaller and further between until they vanished leaving just woods andfields laying fallow and returning to the wild.

   The Suielman road simply endedin a field of knee high marsh grass. They could plainly see where the graypaving stones simply stopped. It wasn’t that the rest of the pavement had beenlifted and stolen long ago. The road had been cleanly and deliberately stoppedat that point. The stones ended in a neat straight edge. A trail of gravel continuedonward as it wound its way south quickly disappearing into brush and low treesin the distance.

   “Ahead is the marsh,” Emilesaid solemnly. “They say the empire engineers got this far before they realizedthey couldn’t get through the marsh.”

   Dasan knelt and felt theground. “I’d believe it. Even after a small rain this would turn to mud.”

   “Knee deep mud,” Emileresponded.

   “Can we cross it?” Terrantasked. “Will the wagons make it?”

   “They should unless it getsworse,” the scout answered. “Small groups and caravans use this route all thetime. Mostly to avoid paying tolls.”

   “It remains gravel and earthtill it reaches the trees,” Emile said. “Then it crosses the swamp on a woodencauseway.”

*******************

   The marsh didn’t suddenlyappear. Instead it slowly crept up on them as they moved. The grass around thetrail gradually got higher and thicker while the ground grew softer and wetter.Walking on the trail was hard enough with each step being more labored. Thehorses pulling the wagon had to strain more. Any step off the trail would seethe person’s leg sink into the mire. Finally, the gravel and dirt of the trail gaveway to roughhewn planks which squeaked and squished when pressure was appliedto them. The planks gradually lifted off the ground, held aloft by pilings madeof tree trunks.

   The marsh itself was a mix ofswamp, streams, slow moving rivulets, rivers. small islands and mud humps thatwere an equal mix of earth and water. Interspersed with all of that were islandsof grass and brush and dense stands of trees. Any movement through that wasimpossible. A person would sink up to their hips in mud that seemed to beeverywhere. The only reason the group could make any progress at all was thecauseway which ran arrow straight through the marsh.

   The going was slow as the boardswere slick and covered with moss in spots but they were generally sound. Worsestill the causeway was only slightly wider than the wagon wheels.

   “This is a great place for anambush,” Stealth commented. “Out in the open on this causeway we’ve got nowhereto hide.” He looked at the marsh all around and below them. He spotted ahundred places where someone could hide.

   “No need to worry,” Emile saidcheerfully. “The locals won’t bother us. So long as we stick to the causeway.”

   “Locals?” Edmund asked as helooked around. All he saw was mud, trees, waist deep water, more mud andplants. “People live here?”

   The lay brother nodded hishead. “Oh yes. Have for millennia. They say when the empire first conquered theNorthern Midlands Centli survivors fled here. Centuries later when the Suielmanempire collapsed their survivors fled here as well. To escape the Lutins.”

   “Certainly a place no armywould go,” Adelyte commented.

   “And I see lots of birds andfish to hunt and eat,” Dasan added. “Lots of plants too. You could easilysurvive here. So long as you don’t mind the wet.”

   Just then a flock of birdsspooked by their noise took off and flew away squawking their fears.

End part 1