[Mkguild] MK story Journey part 3

Christian Okane chrisokane at optimum.net
Sat Mar 18 04:21:29 UTC 2017

   After travel on the road it was good to be inside again. The barracks
were clean and warm and the beds reasonably soft.

   The wagons were being unloaded and the horses had been groomed, fed and
bedded down in the stables.

   As a guest the legate was given his own room on the third floor of the
dormitory. It was a small room with a bed, a small cabinet for clothes and a
table and chair, The walls were left the bare white of the plaster that
covered them. A (very) small stove rested in one corner along with a small
wooden bucket containing some coal. He couldn't help but smile when he
realized by standards of the order this was lavish accommodations.

   The legate caught sight of movement in the window. He noticed a thrush
sitting on the windowsill and seemed to be look at him. And as if satisfied
with what he saw the bird then flew away.

****************

   Early the next morning they ran into an unexpected problem soon after
starting out. The caravan came to a sudden halt. Edmund made his way to the
front and found Stealth and Terry staring at something ahead.

   There in the middle of the path was a large raccoon who was busily eating
some sort of crustacean. The animal was alternating between banging the hard
shell against a piling and eating the soft bits inside. The animal paused a
moment and looked at them. Then he returned to his meal.

   "It looks like Rickkter" Terry joked.

   "He certainly has Rickkter's courage," Edmund joked.

   "What do we do?" Stealth asked.

   "We wait," was the paladin's response.

   "Wait?"

   "Never interrupt a person when they're eating," Edmund explained.

   Terry smiled and laughed.

   After some minutes the raccoon finished his meal. He then walked to the
edge of the causeway and climbed down. In moments he had vanished into the
marsh.

   Stealth peered over the edge and down, looking for their visitor but all
he saw was marsh grass and mud. He did spot a score of places where the
animal could be hidden.

   He lifted his gaze and scanned the marsh looking for larger creatures.
Out there Stealth was certain at least one person was watching them. He
picked out several places where a person could hide. Finally the scout
spotted a dark shadow at the base of a tree and an odd shape amidst a large
plant with broad leaves some seventy yards out.

   Edmund walked up to his friend. "Have you located them?"

   "Two of them," Stealth answered while still looking. "Probably at least
one more out there."

   "Will they attack?" Emile asked.

   "No they won't," Terrant answered. "But when a large, armed group moves
through your home you are cautious."

   "And if they truly wanted to stop us they would smash the causeway,"
Stealth added.

   "Agreed," Edmund added. "We confuse them. We're too small for an invasion
but the right size for a raiding party. But we are moving too slowly and are
too friendly to be a raiding party. But we're too heavily armed to be a
trade caravan."

   "So what do we do?" Stealth asked.

   "We continue along as we agreed," The paladin responded. "How much longer
till we are out of this?"

   "We should clear the marsh in another day," Emile commented. "Perhaps a
day and a half before we reach solid ground."

********************

   It was late. The midnight office was done some time ago but it was still
several hours before Prime at dawn. Harrick and Kenward should have been
asleep but instead they were both standing on a small balcony off the
Knightmasters quarters. The castle and indeed the whole valley was laid out
below them as twinkling lights in the darkness. A soft wind was blowing
bringing with it the smells and sounds of distant places.

   "I've always enjoyed this spot," Kenward said softly. "Being here alone
always allowed me to think."

   "It is very peaceful. It's good place for contemplation," Harrick
responded.

   Harrick looked off to the north. "I wonder how brother Delacot is doing?"

   "Edmund is a skilled leader," Kenward answered. "I trust his skills."

   "I know but I wonder how far Donel will resist and how hard Brother
Delacot will have to push?" Harrick asked.

   Kenward nodded his head. "He was right about him being needed in the
north at Metamor."

   "Of Edmund and his people," Harrick said slowly. "Bother Gattaway. Now
Sister Gattaway. The order doesn't allow women but Terrant wasn't a woman
when he joined."

   "I have taken a wait and see attitude and given her special
dispensation," Kenward answered.

   Harrick nodded in agreement. "But it does bring up questions about women
in the order."

   "True but that is something we can deal with later," Kenward commented.
"We have many other issues to deal with."

   "A more immediate problem. What of the bishop?" Harrick asked. "And his
father the Duke?"

   Kenward winced. "That cannot be delayed any longer. It seems that my last
official act as Knightmaster will be to meet with him."

   "What do you think he will talk about?" Harrick asked. "What is he like?"

   The old Knightmaster shrugged. "I am not sure. I have never met this
bishop before."

   There was silence for a long moment and both enjoyed the calm night.

   "What went wrong Jacob?" Kenward asked in a whisper. "What did we do
wrong?"

   Harrick shook his head. "I don't know. But none of the order took active
part in the attacks."

   "They should have done more to stop it," Kenward countered.

   "Done what?" Harrick asked. "We expected threats from the Lightbringers,
from Sathmore, from Marigund and even from the Giantdowns. But how could we
expect such evil from the Ecclesia itself."

   "Perhaps breaking from the Ecclesia would be a good thing," Kenward
commented. "There has been talk among the brothers about just that."

   "I've heard the talk. Many of the order feel abandoned by Yesulam. Or
have we already become too detached from it?" Harrick countered. "Perhaps we
should have tried to get closer instead of letting the distance keep us
apart. Had we closer ties to the local clergy perhaps we could have detected
the old bishop's slide into corruption."

   "Excellent point," Kenward said. "We can take the opportunity of your
Investiture to hold a grand concourse of all the Knight Commanders and all
the senior leaders."

   "Good idea," Harrick responded. "There is a lot to discuss."

   "Indeed."

********************

   It was late afternoon when they came to a small island where the road
split. One trail continued south, one branched off to the east and another
to the west.

   "We'll stop here for the night," Edmund ordered. "And continue onward
tomorrow."

   This piece of land was a little larger than the last one so there was
room enough to spread out a bit. The wagons were spotted and the horses
unhitched. A fire started and a small latrine pit dug.

   It was still light out when Stealth returned. This time instead of one
person he had a half dozen. Deryk was there along with men and women
carrying baskets, bags and packs. Edmund relaxed. This group wasn't here to
confront. They were here to bargain and trade.

**************

   The small campsite was active with people talking, looking and haggling
over various items. Baskets made of marsh grass were present in large
numbers, the skins of various animals and other things. One old woman was
selling potions that she promised would make men stronger, longer, and women
bigger in all the right places. But amidst those expensive potions were
others of more real use. A bottle of oils that was guaranteed to sooth
aching muscles, an oil to preserve leather and keep it supple no matter how
wet or cold it got.

   Despite their seeming innocence, for every visitor Edmund had assigned a
watcher. That person stood nearby and made sure the marsh dweller was only
there for trade.

   "Roderick," Terrant called. "I think you'll want to come over here."

   "Ma'am?" The person was small, barely five feet tall and just a little
over ninety pounds. It had the tan and black spotted coat of one of the
smaller jungle felines. Roderick had adapted easily to being half animal was
wearing only a small pair of shorts with a hole at the back for his long
feline tail. There wasn't even any shoes on his paws. He was carefully
examining a tree that stood by a wagon. And carefully placing seeds into a
pouch.

   He slowly walked over to Terry. Standing next to the woman was an older
man dressed in a blue shirt and green pants. The man was carrying a large
tree limb at least four feet long.

   The tree ocelot morph gently took the pre-offered length of wood. He ran
his hands over every inch of it. He even touched his tongue to it to taste
it. "This is a Marsh Elm," he said excitedly. "I've never actually held it
before."

   Roderick stared at the man intently. "Did you cut this from a living
tree?" He accused.

   The man shook his head in response. "No. It was storm toppled."

   The feline nodded his head. Roderick reached into his backpack and pulled
out a six-inch-long saw with a serrated blade. "I'll swap you this for the
whole length."

    Terry stood to one side and watched the two bargain. Someone touched her
on the arm. The knight turned and a woman of middling age was standing
there,

   The woman leaned close to Terry. "I have a special item to offer you,"
She said in a whisper as she reached down the neck of her tunic. The woman
produced a small pouch from which she removed an object. It proved to be a
crescent shaped item made of silver about the size of her palm. One side was
blank but the other had several symbols inscribed with a dark green
material.

   Terrant's knowledge of jewelry was limited but she understood that this
was old. The symbols were obviously writing but a form she had never seen
before. "What is it? Who made this?"

   The woman shrugged in response. "Many things have been lost in the marsh
over the years. Occasionally the marsh gives them back."

   "Where exactly did you get this?" She asked.

   The woman shrugged. "People say that some of the islands were used to
bury the dead."

   "You dug this up?" Terry asked.

   "NO!" the woman denied excitedly. "We leave the dead alone. I found this
in the water. I was hunting for shellfish on the bottom and found that
instead."

   "The Centli used the throw items and people into rivers, lakes and swamps
as sacrifices to their gods," Terrant commented.

   "That doesn't look Centli or Suielman," the marsh woman answered. "It
looks older. A lot older."

   "There are people at Metamor who will know what it is and how old," The
knight responded. "What do you want for it?"

***************************

   The Patriarchal Legate Tuscus was ushered into the office with little
fanfare. He found the office of the Knightmaster of the Order of Protectors
more Spartan than expected but probably more elaborate than some in the
order would prefer.

   The walls were plastered a pastel blue instead of the white he had seen
elsewhere. Portraits of various men who he assumed were past Knightmasters
lined one wall. A large fireplace filled another wall. Every room in the
fortress seemed to have some sort of heating. With a fortress located in the
mountains it was far from a luxury. It was a necessity. There was a large
desk and chairs of dark wood in a simple style. The one accommodation to
luxury was a small couch near the fireplace made of a green padded cloth.

    "I hope your visit with us has been helpful," the knightmaster asked as
they took a seat by the fire.

   "It has been very illuminating," the legate answered. "I have learned a
lot."

   "There is a lot more to discuss and consider," Harrick said.

   "Agreed but I must take my leave of you. I have been ordered to meet with
the cardinal," the legate responded.

   "I am sorry to be losing you so soon," Kenward commented.

   "Agreed," Tuscus answered. "But the cardinal wants to discuss recent
events in Marigund and the Midlands with the Patriarch. And as the
Patriarch's representative I must attend."

   "I understand," Kenward said with a nod of the head. "Would you be
willing to take a missive to the cardinal for me?"

   "Of course," the legate answered.