[Mkguild] MKGuild story Journeys part 4

Christian Okane chrisokane at optimum.net
Sun Mar 19 02:41:34 UTC 2017

   The next day the group started out early. Just after dawn. They were
laden down with a large assortment of baskets and bowls made of marsh grass,
a goodly amount of carved items and two hundred pounds of Marsh elm wood.
For all of that they had traded various knives, clothes, several gallons of
ale and an assortment of tools and some coins.

   The same way the marsh had slowly crept on them so it stealthily crept
away. The water and mud underneath the causeway gradually gave way to dry,
firm ground. Eventually the causeway dropped to ground level and continued
for a while as a wooden plank road. Then the planks gave way to a gravel
road that was scarcely wider than the causeway had been. Soon signs of
civilization returned. Fields of ripening wheat and corn, orchards and farms
appeared to either side of the road.

   Their group passed a farm wagon laden high with marsh grass. The farmer
seemed more interested in his wagon and horse than the odd fellow travelers.

********************

   The first confrontation occurred where the trail they were on crossed the
main road in the form of six cavalrymen standing in their path. The men were
wearing armor and carrying swords and stopping everything moving along the
road.

   The leader deliberately stood on the path of the heavily armed party and
raised his hand, palm facing outward. "Halt in the name of Lord Donel."

   "You have to admire their courage," Terrie said calmly.

   "And total lack of common sense," Edmund added.

   "I thought Donel would have done something before now. Certainly,
something more impressive," Stealth commented.

   "We caught him off guard," Edmund responded. "He expected us to go west
or take the main road directly. He most likely has small patrols like this
scattered all over."

   "You are not allowed any farther," The leader said nervously.

   "Not allowed any farther where?" Edmund commented. "North? South? East?"

   Doubt crossed the leaders face. "You're not allowed any farther."

   "No doubt you have already dispatched a rider to tell Donel we are here,"
Edmund said calmly. "You have done your duty. So stand aside before someone
gets hurt needlessly." Thirty of the soldiers with Edmund and Terry deployed
in a straight line behind their leader. It showed the small group from
Midtown was outnumbered five to one.

   "Now," the paladin said calmly. "Leave before things get unpleasant."

   Sir Edmund Delacot turned to the soldiers behind him. People who had
served with him for years. "Lock step. MARCH!"

   The group of Protectors stepped forward in one, smooth motion. Each
person moving in a synchronized movement. All acting in unison. It was
impressive display of training and skill.

   It had the desired effect. The leader took one look at the slowly
advancing group and shook his head. "Follow me." And with those words he
wheeled his horse around and the group galloped away.

*****************

   The group that left Castle Thrush was considerably smaller than the one
that had arrived. Ten knightbrothers. Fifty Lay swords and the same two
wandering brothers escorted Knightmaster Harrick and brother Kenward. There
was no subtlety or tactical maneuvering. All were heavily armed and they
would travel northeast straight to Kelewair using the main roads. It was a
display of force that was sure to attract attention. But that was the idea.
To show the Midlands that the Order of Protectors was still around and would
brook no further bloodshed.

*****************

   The sky slowly darkened but although the black clouds threatened to
unleash a storm. People buttoned up coats and jackets and put away all
things they didn't want to get wet. But no rain fell. Instead it grew darker
until the land was bathed in a frightening twilight of neither day nor
night.

   The trees grew closer to the road as the road itself grew narrower and
went from a well-maintained stone road to a rutted dirt path.

   "This can't be the right road," Terrie commented quietly to Edmund.

   "We didn't take any turn offs or side paths," Edmund responded.

   The woman pointed to the darkened path in front of them. "Does this look
like the road to Kormley?"

   Suddenly a tall mound rose up to the left of the path as a similar one
stood sentry to the right. Their regular, smooth, grass covered sides told
of its unnatural creation. The artificial hills rose over a hundred feet
tall and each was topped by a black pillar. Their tall, black masses seemed
to glower down at the living intruders. Angry at the intrusion into their
realm.

   With a slight touch of the reins Edmund brought his horse to a halt. The
entire group followed suit.

   At the base of each mound, within arm's reach of the path were two
pillars that flanked the road. Each was of black wood and completely covered
with a wide variety of symbols Some were just words but Edmund recognized
several magic wards and symbols. At the top of each was a starburst painted
gold with a silver lightning bolt placed horizontally below it.

   Almost reflexively the paladin reached for the hilt of his sword with one
hand and clutched the cross that hung from a cord around his neck with the
other. He spoke a quick prayer.

   "Where are we?" Someone asked.

   "Seven Barrows!" Emile responded in a pained tone.

   "SEVEN BARROWS? We shouldn't be there!" Someone muttered.

   "Yes we should!" Edmund snapped.

   "This is a place of the dead," came the nervous answer from the Lay
brother.

   "The dead rest here," the paladin responded calmly. His speech and
demeanor hiding his own unrest. "We have no fear from them."

   "This isn't a place for the living," Emile said. "It belongs to the
dead."

   "Perhaps," Terrant countered. "But we're not here to loot. As long as we
show respect we won't have any problems."

   The man didn't speak but the look on his face was filled with doubt.

   "I am a paladin of the order," Edmund commented. "It is my task to deal
with the dead and undead."

   "I'd rather not deal with undead at all," someone joked humorlessly.

   "It's not exactly my idea of a fun day," Terrant responded. "But it is
part of being of the order."

   Edmund nodded in agreement. "The dead rest here. I sense nothing that can
endanger us."

   "History rests heavily in this place," Terrant commented. "A lot of good
men died here. The memory of that battle has seeped into the ground. That is
what you feel."

   Edmund pointed to the carving on the pillar to his left. "That's the
emblem of the 71st legion. This is where they made their stand back in 150."
There was touch of awe and reverence in his voice.

   "Too late," Terrant commented. "If they had arrived two days earlier they
might have been able to hold the wall. Stopped the entire invasion."

   "Or simply died two days earlier," Edmund responded.

   Stealth nodded in agreement. "Nothing could stop the invasion." He
pointed to several symbols carved above and below Suielman emblem. "Is that
Lutin?" He asked.

   "It is!" Edmund answered. "The Lutins were so impressed by the
legionnaires bravery and skill that after defeating them they built this
monument to honor them."

   Stealth scowled. "First they killed them. Then they honored them?"

   "It wasn't all done for honor alone," the paladin commented. "It was
partly meant to placate the spirits of all those legionnaires they had just
killed."

   "That makes sense," Stealth responded.

   The normal sounds of the forest started to fade. The cry of a night bird,
the flutter of bats nearby hunting insects. The trees rattling in the wind.
All faded to silence as the wind died as well. People stopped talking.
Afraid of breaking the silence. Of drawing attention to themselves. The air
grew colder till Edmund could see his breath as small clouds with each
exhalation.

   The sound of slowly marching feet came to him. A thousand feet tramping
in unison. There was the blare of trumpets but like the feet they were
faint, as if coming from a great distance. The horns and marching grew
steadily louder. Not slowly but quickly as if those approaching were moving
at a fast pace. As if in a hurry.

   As the sounds got closer Stealth picked up the slow, steady BOOM! BOOM!
BOOM! Of drums marking cadence. Soon he could hear voices, talking, shouting
orders. Then came the jangle of metal armor and harness, the clop of horse's
hooves and the shuffle of feet.

   "KEEP MOVING! KEEP MOVING!" a voice ordered from the darkness. "They need
us."

   Edmund whipped around to his troops. "Get off the road," he ordered.
"Now!"

   There was a frantic scramble as the living made way for the dead.
Edmund's people stood in orderly lines on either side.

   They heard the sounds of an army on the move but the road remained empty.
Their ears told them something was there that their eyes denied.

   Suddenly there were shouted orders to halt. "We're too late! We're too
late. They've broken through." Came the ghostly voices.

   "CLOSE RANKS! CLOSE RANKS!" A voice shouted. "Remember you are
legionnaires!"

   There was shouting, the sound of people moving, weapons being drawn.
Horns blared. Orders shouted. Those were the sounds Stealth recognized. It
was solders preparing for battle.

   He looked to his own people. Some were looking around nervously and quite
a few had out their crosses and many were in prayer. One archer had out both
a Follower cross and a Predecessor star as well.

   "Be calm," Edmund Delacot the paladin said calmly. "They cannot harm us.
They do not even know we are here."

   The sounds of combat filled the air around them. The ring of metal on
metal, the crack of wood being split. The crunch of bones shattering and
flesh being torn. The shrieks and moans of the dying.

   The sounds of battle were all around them but still they saw nothing. It
grew louder and louder till they covered their ears to try and block it out.

   Then suddenly it stopped and there was nothing but silence. Only the
faint whisper of the wind. His breathing seemed loud and he could clearly
feel his own heartbeat racing.

   A voice suddenly spoke from the darkness. It was oddly calm. "This is a
good place to die."

******************

   No one spoke or moved for a time. Slowly the forest came back to life.
The chirping of birds, the rustling of field mice moving amidst the leaves
and undergrowth. The sky lightened as daylight returned bathing everyone in
its golden glow. It grew noticeably warmer.

   "What?" A woman archer asked. Her voice boomed loudly and everyone jumped
in surprise. All eyes turned to the woman who had a look of nervousness and
confusion on her face. "What just happened?" She finished in a quieter tone.

   "I've never heard of anything like this happening before," Emile said
nervously.

   Stealth and his squad were standing together. "Why are these weird things
happening when you and Edmund are around?" Mairsil asked.

   "I don't know," Stealth answered. "Yet."

   "It is something of great importance," Edmund said solemnly.

   "Cheer up," Mairsil commented trying to sound humorous and failing. "At
least you didn't experience it firsthand. Like the last time."

   "Nest will be upset that he missed it," Stealth commented. "He'll want to
know every detail of what happened."

   Delyte laughed. "If he is so interested in this stuff why doesn't he come
down here himself."

   "He will," Dasan commented. "People like him can't stay away from things
like this."

   "Whatever happened is done. At least for today," Stealth commented.
"Nothing will disturb us for tonight."

   Edmund ignored the discussion. His attention was drawn away from group
and to the pillar. His eyes fell on the emblem of the legion but they didn't
linger there. Instead they moved past it. There, looming in the distance was
another mound. It was taller and wider than the others and it towered over
everything.

   "Terry," the paladin said in a voice that sounded calmer than he actually
was, "Please stay here with the troop. I want to scout ahead."

   "Scouting is my task," Stealth walked up to his friend. The scout was
carrying a bow in hand and was dressed in armor.

   Edmund turned and looked at the tall, center mound. His common sense said
to turn back and leave but his soul, his heart told him to press onward.
"We'll do it together."

   The two climbed up the steep sloped side of the hill in silence. The only
sound was of their breathing and the soft padding of the grass under their
paws. It grew colder the higher they climbed. Looking down, he could see the
six mounds that encircled the center one.

   The top of the mound was flat and paved with stones laid out in intricate
patterns. Six columns circled the edge and in the center of the hill was a
tall monolith of black wood. It was taller and wider than the others. Carved
into the middle of it was a starburst painted gold with a silver lightning
bolt placed horizontally below it. He noted that the emblem was everywhere,
carved onto every pillar and column. It was even laid out in stones on the
ground at their feet no less than seven times.

   "Seven mounds, seven columns and seven symbols on the ground," Stealth
commented.

   "Seven is a magical number," Edmund responded as he looked down at the
fields below. "It has lots of mystical significance. It's also how many
cohorts the 71st fielded that day."

   "ED!" Stealth snarled and pointed to the center.

   A figure drifted out of shadow of the center pillar and walked towards
them. The person moved with the slow deliberate pace of a person in calm
control. He was wearing chainmail armor of a type and style used for
centuries. But the helmet tucked under his right arm was old empire and he
wore a long red cape of a style that had vanished in CR 150 when the empire
had died. His black hair was cut short. His face was calm but the eyes were
piercing and looked them over. A gladius; a short sword hung in a leather
scabbard from his belt.

   The new arrival held up his right hand, palm out using an old Suielman
greeting.

   Edmund returned the gesture. "Hail Sir."

   Stealth placed his right hand onto his left shoulder and bowed slightly.
Giving the correct response. "Hail and greetings to you sir."

   "Our apologies for disturbing you," Edmund explained. "We seem to have
taken the wrong road."

   "You are where you are supposed to be," The stranger responded
enigmatically.

   Edmund leaned closer to the new arrival and peered intently at him.
"Kaeso?" He asked hesitantly. "Kaeso Ferentia?"

   The officer smiled but didn't speak. Instead slowly drew his sword and
held it up in front of his face in salute. He lowered the sword and then
slowly faded from view. Vanishing like a puff of smoke in a strong wind.