[Mkguild] Life - Prologue A

Jack Moore jackthefrilledlizard at gmail.com
Sat May 13 01:05:12 UTC 2017

AN: Long story, longest I've done thus far. This one will update very
slowly, because I want it perfect. So this is just a prologue, to be
uploaded over the next couple of days. Fun fact, The Bull and Anvil was the
name of an actual tavern I visited in London. Little shout out to them.

Life

Prologue - In The Shadow of the Valley

It had only just stopped raining. The puddles shone with moonlight now that
the clouds had cleared and silver mist still hung inches above the ground.
Water dripped from branches so loud it gave the sound of a downpour.

This forest was an ocean of wood. Trees in every direction, some having
lived unmolested for centuries. Animals scurried over their branches and
burrowed under their roots. Eyes glowed in the night light, staring out
from shadows.

The ocean had parted here, creating a large clearing in a near perfect
circle. At the edge of the clearing stood a one story wooden building, with
a second floor room crudely attached to it. A hitching post stood in front
of it with two horses tied to it. No stables here, not for a place this
small.

Above the doorway hung a very old and weathered sign. Emblazened in faded
gold paint were the words “The Bull and the Anvil”. To the owners knowledge
their had never been a bull at this tavern. Nor had their been an anvil.

The Bull and the Anvil had been conceived of as an Inn for weary travelers
on their way to Metamor KEep. Just far enough from the valley to not be in
curse range. The builder had chosen this clearing because he expected lots
of people to be coming through.

Except Inns require lumber, which he had plenty of, and labor, which he did
not. And while people did come through here, most had their own homes they
could still reach, or headed on to Metamor regardless.
So The Bull and the Anvil became a tavern. With one whole pool table and
three checkers boards. The builder had even planned to purchase a skittles
set. And then he discovered his own booze supply.

The current owner of The Bull and the Anvil was a former customer who
purchased it after the last one drank his life away.  His name was August
Kregier. While the original owner had the unique idea of a refutable tavern
in the middle of a forest outside a cursed valley, the new owner had no
such illusions.
The area outside of Metamor was full of brigands and highwaymen, and
Kregier decided they needed a place to drink as much as anyone else. It was
also a place where travelers came with increasing regularity. They needed a
meal and a rest for their horses before setting off again.
Kregier had decided this would be a place for both groups.

The Bull and Anvil had thus become a place of peace in this world of
conflict. It didn’t matter if you were honest or corrupt, crook or king.
You needed a hot meal and one last drink on your journey, or if you just
wanted to hear stories from Metamor, this was the place for you.

This night the tavern was full. The murder business must have been doing
well. The tavern glowed yellow from candles inside, light leaking out
through cracks in the wood. Even from a distance the sound of drinking and
talking could be heard. No knights harassing them and no bounty hunters
trying to kidnap them. No one was fighting or arguing. Everyone was
relaxing and having fun.
It was on this scene that two figures emerged from the wood. Both tall, but
of different physical forms. The figure on the left was a young man in his
mid twenties. He wore a moon shaped mask, almost completely flat,
completely reflective. The mask had no eye or mouth shape, and the nose
holes were hidden. Looking at this mask was looking into a mirror.
He dressed in a simple green shirt with black pants and a leather belt. His
boots were worn after a long distanse traveling. His cloak hung over his
shoulders, hoody down. Strapped to his back was what looked like a metal
pole with a great deal of extraneous metal attached to it, to keep it from
collapsing. A blade was incorrectly attached to it, looking severely out of
place.
His mask shone in the moonlight. This man moved with a sense of purpose
coming from his Calm. Inside he had channeled all of the thousands of
forces burning him up into one goal. That goal was inside of The Bull and
the Anvil.
His companion on this trip could not have been more different. He was
slightly taller and much more relaxed. This man was dressed in all black, a
billowing black outfit. Only his face was exposed, framed on all sides by
black fabric. The top part of the hood was held in place by a leather
headband.
And this man needed a headband. His face was thin and gaunt, skin fallow
looking. This man was so thin it looked as if his clothing would blow away
any second now. This was the only skin exposed on him, the rest hidden in
black. Unlike his friend, he carried no weapon. He couldn’t contain his
grin.
This man went by the name of Peccavi. His companion was Shining Mask. And
they were here on Shining’s decision, to find someone. This was not their
main goal, merely a detour. But anything to lengthen up the long and dull
journey.
“Exactly where they said it would be my shiny friend.” Peccavi said. “Are
you happy? Or do you wanna waste more of my time with this nonsense.”
Shining Mask didn’t respond. “Hello? Mirror face?” He tapped on his
companions mask. Shining knocked his hand away.
“Stop that! I have not completed my mission.” Shining said. “I made a
promise. And I will see that I follow through. A heinous crime has been
committed.”
“Yes but that’s the best kind of crime.” Peccavi laughed. “You should try
committing some yourself. That might pull out the shondeshike you’ve got
rammed up your ass.” Shining’s fist clenched but otherwise he didn’t
respond. Instead he approached the tavern.
“You’re such a bore you know?” Peccavi whined. Still he followed his mirror
faced friend. He had no choice, Eternal had put Shining Mask in charge.
Still Peccavi could continue annoying the overly tense mirror man. “This is
my kind of place you know?”
“I suspected as much.” Shinning said.
“It tries to be nice. But yet it’s seedy and leaves you feeling like you
sat in something sticky. Never know what could happen here.” Peccavi
laughed. “How many people do you think stumbled out that door, holding
their intestines in their hands?”
“I don’t want to know.” Shining said.
“I can tell you.” Peccavi said. His eyes glowed for a second, only a
second. “I can tell you how many blood drops and hidden criminals this
place has harbored.”
“Stop talking.” Shinning said. Peccavi moaned.
“No fun at all.” The two approached the front door. Shining reached for the
handle, then shuddered.
“This place should be burnt to the ground.” He pulled the door open.