[Mkguild] Life - Prologue C

Jack Moore jackthefrilledlizard at gmail.com
Sun May 14 21:05:00 UTC 2017

Life

Prologue: In The Shadow of the Keep - C

Shining Mask exited in time to see his target hop on his horse. His two
friends were trying to get on the other horse, both two drunk to ride.  His
target was a thin and balding man, bones visible through his frayed shirt
and pants.

“Do those animals belong to either of you?” The three jumped. They tried to
ride away but Shining was on them. In their haste to escape, all three had
failed to untie the two horses. Now all they could do was stare stupidly as
their pursuer grabbed them and yanked them down. The three clutched each
other, staring at him in horror.

“Jans Drygulch,” The thin man began to sweat. “Three days ago you raped and
murdered Spring Elen. Her parents requested my assistance, I obliged.” He
turned to the two much larger men, one in a brown doublet and one in a
tunic. “I do not know you, nor are you my targets. I give you this
opportunity, leave and never return. Should you stay, you will share in Mr.
Drygulch’s fate."

The man in the brown doublet took this oppertunity. He ran so fast his
pants were sliding down, giving Shinning quite a view. The man in the tunic
in contrast stood up, helping Drygulch to his feet.

“I-we is not scared of you.” He pulled a small blade out a holster on his
side.  His arms shook but he pointed it at Shining mask.

“What is your name?” The tunic man shook harder. “Your name. You must have
one.”

“T-Tallis.” Shining approached him, moving close enough for the blade to
jab at his chest. Drygulch now cluched his friend like the rat he was. He
still had yet to say anything besides the occasional whimper.

“Do you choose to defend your associate Mr. Tallis?” Shining could see the
thought running through the oily man. It also ran through Drygulch, who
glanced up at his protector. Finally Tallis nodded.

“Y-yeah. I won’t let ya hurt my friend.” Had Tallis been able to see
through the mask, he would have seen a glint of respect in Shining’s eyes.
Instead all he saw was his own fear, reflected in that mirror mask.

“I regret your choice. But so be it.” Shining paused for a second. Then “I
am Sondecki. Do you understand what that means?” Tallis didn’t respond but
Drygulch’s wide eyes turned into giant plates.

“No I dunno. Tell me what it is.” Tallis said. Shinning raised one hand.

“It means this.” He tapped the hand against Tallis’ wrist holding the
knife. The thugs wrist shatted into splinters, causing him to collapse to
the ground in agony. Rolling in the dirt, he cuddled what remained of wrist
in his other hand.

“You’re not-not human!” Drygulch screamed. He took off sprinting as fast as
he could. Shining tried to grab him but he slipped through his fingers.

A Sondecki who has been trained can punch the air with enough force that
the air itself will hit a target. And Shining had not learned how to do
that. In fact his training began and ended with his Calm. Anything more
complex than that was beyond him.

As such Shining was now running after the sprinting rapist. He crouched as
he ran and scooped up a pebble. Drygulch made it to the edge of the trees,
Shining threw the rock.

Drygulch collapsed as the back of his skull ruptured. The world was
spinning out of control. Somehow he forced himself to his knees and tried
crawling. “Can;t can’t can’t I gotta get gotta”. Blood was pouring down his
spine. The only thing he could hear was the sound of dribing blood.

“I advise you stop Mr. Drygulch.” Shining said, slowly approaching from
behind. “I will make it painless.” The bleeding man ignored this advice and
tried to continue on. Shining sighed

'I tried. All that follows is your fault.' Shining reached down and yanked
the bleeding man up by the back of his shirt. Drygulch glanced up at him,
eyes barely registering. He raised his fists in an attempt to defend
himself.

“Don’t embarrass yourself.” Shining said, sighing at this pathetic display.
“You will lose.” In the dim moonlight the man’s blood shone a dull white.
Even half unconcious and possibly dying he tried to fight, taking swings at
his captor.

'I am almost impressed.' Shining cocked his head, contemplating this man.
'Would he still have fought so hard were he innocent? I wonder.' Drygulch’s
arms finally dropped. Then the tears started. He was quickly blubbering
uncontrollably.

“I’m sorry. I-I-I didn’t...I didn’t…” He let out a cry. Shining gave no
response. “I didn’t mean to do it!”

“It’s funny.” Shining said. “You know how I avoid raping people?” Drygulch
sniffled.

“I-I-I” Shining placed one finger against Drygulch’s forehead, between his
eyes.

“I don;t do it.” He pushed. Bone was ground to powder as his finger slid
through layers of flesh. Drygulch’s eyes went wide, then dead. He began to
drool as his brain shut down, and Shining pushed further.

He stopped pushing, but waited until this pathetic man quit breathing. Then
he dropped his body on the floor. Shining wiped the blood off in a puddle.
He then turned towards the moon. I do not know where your soul will be
Spring. May you be at peace.

“Jans!” Tallis, the man to stay behind, had finally pushed himself up to
his knees. His wrist flopped uselessly, so he tried dragging himself
forward with his other arm. “Jans! I’m saving you!” Shining sighed.

“Mercy mercy mercy always.” He walked over to the crawling man and pulled
him up to his feet. “Their are settlements near here where you can find
help for your wrist. I would recommend Metamor Keep. They are kind people
from what I’ve been told.”
“Where’s Jans!?” Shining held him in place as Tallis tried to force himself
past. “Where’s Jans!? You killed him!”

“I fulfilled a request. I do not believe you were a part of his crimes. As
such I will allow you to leave. Do not test my patience though.” The tunic
man yelled something. For Shining Mask the task was done and his mind
turning towards his partner. Shining looked back at The Bull and Anvil.

The tavern was quiet. That was good. Less good was that the light coming
from within had begun glowing more. 'What is going on in there? I need--'

BLAM!

The tavern exploded. All around Shining flaming lumber landed while flames
consumed the remains of the building. Tallis also watched, mouth agape. A
flying beam of wood missed his body by half an inch.