[Mkguild] Life - Prologue D

Jack Moore jackthefrilledlizard at gmail.com
Mon May 15 23:45:25 UTC 2017

Life

Prologue: In The Shadow of the Keep - D

The tavern exploded. All around Shining flaming lumber landed while flames
consumed the remains of the building. Tallis also watched, mouth agape. A
flying beam of wood missed his body by half an inch.

“What kind of hell have you unleashed Peccavi?” Shining rushed towards the
flames. They roared so hot he had to pull back. “Peccavi! Come out you
bastard!” The flames seemed to burn above the tree line now. No one could
survive this.
Then someone walked out.

At first it was just an outline. Then a black smudge from within the
inferno. And then it took definition, becoming a man. A man dressed in
black with a smile on his face. Despite being in the center of the blaze,
despite causing the blaze, there were no burns on him.  His skin was
untouched. You couldn’t even smell soot.

“You asked and I arrived.” Peccavi grinned. “How goes things out here?”
Shining clenched his fist. Peccavi glanced back at the fire. “Quite a mess
wouldn’t you say? No one in there knows how to havea good time. Had to help
them out there, weren’t grateful. Can you believe that?”

“You killed all.” Shining whispered. Peccavi looked at his associate, then
at Tallis nursing his wrist.  He grinned.

“Not all of them.” Peccavi slammed the palm of his hand into the ground. A
spike of stone shot out of the earth, impaling Tallis and killing him
instantly. “Now I’ve killed all of them.”

Shining watched the life expire in Tallis.  Anger welled inside him. No
talk, just action. Shining grabbed Peccavi by the throat. A stronger hand
snapped around his arm. Shining’s grip began to shake. Peccavi grinned.

“Come on Sondecki, kill me.” Shining began to sweat. He lifted his other
hand, only for Peccavi to snatch it too. “Kill me. Kill me!”

Shining pushed, but it was like pushing the Earth itself. He couldn’t move,
not an inch. Peccavi smirked. “Well Sondecki? Where’s your great strength?”

'I-I-I want...No no. Focus. YOu have to focus. The mission needs it.'
Shinning let go of the thin man’s throat. Peccavi’s smile grew bigger. 'A
small evil now, a greater good later.'

“Now was that--” Shining punched him across the jaw, catching the man off
guard. Peccavi stumbled back, falling onto his butt. He laughed. “I suppose
that makes you feel like a real man, doesn’t it?”

“Make no mistake.” Shining said. “When I am allowed to, I will kill you. I
don;t care how many times I have to, eventually you will die. Even you
can’t live forever.” Peccavi grinned.

“Wanna bet on it little man?” Peccavi floated off of the ground in front of
the man, onto his feet. “I’ve got as much chance of dying as you visting
that Sondecki city your type always seem so hard on for.”

“I will be trained at Sondeshara.” Shining Mask said. “And I will fix the
word. And in doing so I will remove you from existence.” Peccavi rolled his
eyes.

“Nah, I’ll be fine.” He returned his attention the bar. “Sure is burning
bright. Guess all that alcohol does that. Always love to see people
drinking, shame I had to burn it.”

“You didn’t have to do anything.”

“I disagree.” Peccavi said. “They tried to kill me, can you believe that?”

“I’ll consider myself shocked.” Shining mumbled.

“And then even worse, they wouldn’t let me finish my game! All I wanted to
do was have one game of pool, am I denied even that pleasure?” The last
statement wasn’t a question, not really. In the years since he had first
met Peccavi, Shinning knew to disregard anything he said. This...parasite
was a liar. He was a corruption, motivated only by pleasure.

Shining had seen this poison kill countless civilians. The very people
Shining was supposed to serve, the people whose station he was supposed to
raise.

How can Eternal keep this...thing in his employ? He knows what it is
capable of. Shining  clenched his fists. Eternal’s name is divine, he will
lead us. In time he will no doubt do away with the poison.

“I almost didn’t let you drag me out here on your stupid little excursion.”
Peccavi said. “I wanted to just get moving. Don’t know why you felt you had
to help those cretins.”

“They weren’t cretins.” Shining said said. “They were people who lost their
daughter. They deserve peace of mind like anyone else.”

“And yet when I kill everyone in this bar for MY piece of mind you get
miffed at me!” Peccavi muffled a giggle. “I’m beginning to think you
dislike me, my ink black Sondecki.”

'I do dislike you.' No that wasn’t true. He despised this living poison.
But not just because of the murders. Even Shining Mask’s sense of justice
had been dulled by the constant sins of this creature.

No he despised how this thing always knew. Any secret a person held,
Peccavi saw in an instant. No thoughts were yours and no memories hidden
from the world. All fell apart in those eyes of nightmares.

“You wanna go back and tell the bitches parents I bet?” Peccavi asked.
Shinning Mask shook his head.

“I told them this Drygulch man would never walk away from here. They said
they trusted me. All that needs to be said has been said. Besides, I must
see you off before meeting up with the other Six.”

“Finally, some sense from my serious friend.” Peccavi said. “I was starting
to think that mask was on too tight.” Shinning bit his bottom lip.

“Do you remember your assignment?” He asked Peccavi. The thin man rolled
his eyes.

“Duh! Not exactly stupid here. I’ve been doing my thing for long than
you’ve practiced looking serious in the mirror.” Shinning looked over at
the remains of the tavern. The flames were beginning to die down, and but
they still lit the canopy a bright orange. He wondered if anyone else would
be along to see what had happened.

“I want confirmation.” Shining said. “I want to know that this...this
travesty will never happen again.” Peccavi raised an eyebrow.

“Travesty? Most of these people were going to be burning soon anyway. All I
did was speed things up. But yes, I know what I’m doing once we arrive.
Going to need a better look if I’m going to fit in.” He tapped on his chest
and lifted up a tear where the blade had pierced him. “This one’s seen some
wear and tear.”

“Understandable.” Shining whispered. “I will be along to check on you in
six months time, you know how to find me.”

“Again, done this all before.” Peccavi said. His companion nodded.

“Then let us go.” Shining began to march toward the tree line. “Onward
to...to”

“To Metamor Keep.” Peccavi laughed.

Rain dripped on them from the branches. Soon the two figures were lost in
the darkness, the burning tavern all that remained of their presence.