[Mkguild] On the adventure travel

Rimme the Weasel ontherimme at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 06:20:06 UTC 2017

I acknowledge the fear that adding balloon travel to the world of Metamor
Keep might break a few people's idea of a fantasy medieval world. I think
the best way to allay those fears would be to make this a truly exceptional
journey. That is, there is a unique set of circumstances that enables Lodo
and Yurik to build a balloon strong enough to hold several passengers and
supplies, fly them around the world, and return safely. An event that can't
or won't be replicated again, for any of various reasons:

* There is some drawback to flying a balloon in this universe, possibly how
easily it attracts hostile flying creatures, or perhaps the balloon's
mechanism has an undiscovered flaw;
* There is a lot of luck involved in the expedition (special favors the
crewmen call in, freak weather events, coincidental political events,
etc.), too much to make such journeys commonplace;
* They have to use a special material for their balloon that is too rare to
make them commonplace;
* The special materials themselves have drawbacks that make them
impractical for widespread use (the spidersilk Forgecoldiron mentioned
could be super expensive, or the lattice beams could fall apart from too
much twisting or compression under heat or moisture, which might force them
to find a substitute halfway through... which ties into my next idea);
* The balloon goes through so many changes that by journey's end, neither
Lodo or Turik can figure out how to mass produce it (and if that isn't
enough...);
* The balloon gets destroyed at the end, and Lodo decides against building
another one;
* Lodo or Turik ends up so shaken by the journey's end (for story reasons),
they refuse to allow anyone to replicate their balloon;
* A major investor in this expedition is so upset at the end that they pull
their funding and suppress as much knowledge of the expedition as possible.

I'm not just thinking about the mechanics of the balloon, but of the story
itself. Personally, I think there's plenty of stuff that could happen along
their journey as well, enough to make this story more than just an MK
travelogue. It's just a matter of collaborating as a team to keep the story
consistent with itself and with the world, and that the story-writing
process runs smoothly.