[Vfw-times] A Storm of Many Winds part 7

Sandfur at aol.com Sandfur at aol.com
Tue Dec 14 18:41:42 CST 1999

sorry about the long wait... hope y'all like

Sandfur sat through most of Chu Whengs speech without saying anything. He was too busy thinking. He was piecing together pieces of a puzzle he had been handed. And there was something his memory told him that just couldn't be right... The he heard Chu Wheng apparently misspeak and interrupted. That was when he realized how frightened some of the Lutrans looked. He knew he had to do something. "Chu Wheng!" many of the lutrans jumped at Sandfurs sudden interruption. "I am Chu Hur. If you would be so kind, Chu Wheng, please explain what will happen to the Jas Chu tribe should the Gim ever use their power"
    "It would be the end of the Jas Chu tribe. The Gim bitterly hate us. And the agreement we made at the shaping of earth is unbreakable."
    "I know it too well. Bu thank you, Chu Wheng. I must have a conversation with my friends, but then we have much to discuss. Too much, in fact…”
    “Of course,” Chu Wheng nodded, then faded out of existence.
    “Friends, my ability to tap into the outran racial memory is still very limited, but this much I can tell you. The Lutrans were a very careful people, after the disaster on Gavin, and they added many safeguards. I’m still not sure why I’m here though…You heard true; the Jas Chu race should be extinct. Oren?”
    “Yes?”
“Could you gather as many of the lutrans as possible? I have something that I need to tell you all.
“Of course,” Oren typed some commands into the console “They’ll be here in about 3 hours”
“Thank you, now if you’ll excuse me. Chu Wheng and I need to have a long talk”
All present knew that this talk was going to be trying to both parties, and all respectfully left the room.
~ About 3 hours later ~

Most of the existing lutran race had gathered and were assembled in a large room. Sandfur stepped forward; he was dressed in a cape, which shimmered like the walls of the city. He held up a crystal globe and addressed the company. “Friends, welcome to (unpronounceable). You should all know, by now, what is happening. But for you to fully understand it, I must tell you our history, as I am, perhaps, the last person to remember it. First, I must be known that all of the tribes are assembled here. The globe in his hand suddenly shimmered with all colors.
“I am Jas Chu”
He handed the globe to Oren, and it turned Gold, as it was passed twelve different colors showed themselves. Sand fur picked up the globe after all had held it. This time it turned black. “And the Gim are represented here, as well. No my friends,” Sandfur responded to the fear which was almost tangible in the room, “ I am not Gim, not fully anyway. Things will become clearer in time”
-The Saga of the Lutrans-
    “Far beyond the farthest star you see in the night sky lies a once beautiful planet called Gavin. Once, far too long ago, the lutrans lived there, in peace and content. Mirth, in its purest form, was law, and carelessness, expected. It was unfortunate that we did not care for our playground. Once, it seemed that care was unnecessary, things would simply take care of themselves. . We were wrong. So were tried to save our planet. We built robots to clean the mess, but machines make better servants then masters. Our machines had too much liberty, they became a threat. They discovered, easily, that we were the major threat to the planet. And so they tried to destroy us. They failed, but we were forced to destroy our own creation. So it was that the Gim, the Watchers, took on the task of cleaning our beloved planet. But they came to the same conclusion that our robots had. The danger was the Lutran race itself. The Gim became so obsessed with cleaning Gavin that they too, tried to destroy the Lutrans. They would have too… had it not been for the intervention of a mysterious Lutran we call the Elder He made us so ashamed of our fighting that most Lutrans voluntarily left Gavin. The Elder guided us to Earth, and taught us to shape it. He declared the Gim to be what we know them as today, the Watchers. The Jas Chu tribe was formed of members of many tribes who remembered Gavin, and wept for her loss. To them was given the power to remember. The Jas Chu also required that should the Gim ever use the machine which gave the Gim power to destroy all life on earth, then the Jas Chu would perish, at the first, instead of the second use.” Sandfur looked up, pain and tears welling in his eyes…
He whispered “it was a horrible day…”
Oren then stepped forward to finish the tale.