[Vfw-times] Adventures In Chattahoochee Hollar - On Eagle's Wings - PART 1 (8/?)

Heartsh0t at aol.com Heartsh0t at aol.com
Mon Jul 24 18:22:15 CDT 2000

As the violet twilight drew to the shadows of the warm summer night, one by
one
the stars winked on their merry little lights.  Fireflies swarmed in the
mountain
glen, buzzing to the sweet symphony of the katydids and the cicadas.
Cloudchaser searched the grounds frantically, hoping to find the elusive
Stephanie Foxley.  Any minute now, the fireworks would start, and he so
desperately wanted to spend it with her.  He knew she would be with her
family.   Now, if only he could find them!  Then, all of a sudden, he
remembered their spot underneath that shady oak tree!  Heart racing, he
quickly walked in their direction, not letting another fan stand in the way
of him reaching this fragile, dainty creature.

The Foxley’s were already settled on their blankets, ready for the show when
the
red wolf appeared.  Cloudchaser felt a lump forming on the back of his throat
when he saw the object of his affections sitting beside her twin brother.  How
strange the turn of events that has happened!  It was only a few hours earlier
when he was facing a shy, stammering vixen.  Only now he found that he was
unable to talk!

“Hello Mr. Shaconage,” Mrs. Foxley said.  “That was quite a performance you
put
on for us today!  Won’t you please join us for the fireworks display?”

“I-I-”  Foolish tongue!  Tripping over his words like that!  Cloudchaser
shook his
head and cleared his throat.  He glanced at Stephanie, who had a faint smile
of
adoration on her face.  The pilot turned again to Mrs. Foxley.

“I’d like to take Stephanie out to watch the fireworks if it’s okay with you
and
Mr. Foxley.  We won’t go very far.”

Stephanie’s face shown with elation.  Did her heart skip a beat?

“Why can’t you just watch it here?”  Mr. Foxley said dourly with discerning
eyes.
The fox seemed to stare right through his inner being.

Feeling a little intimidated, Cloudchaser wasn’t one to back down from a
challenge.  However, this is Stephanie’s father, and he wanted to make a good
impression.

“Sir, I just wanted....”

“Oh Jack!  Let them go!  They’ll have a wonderful time,” Mrs. Foxley
interrupted
the barnstormer.

“Well, okay,” Mr. Foxley looked to his wife.  Cheyenne flashed him her brown
eyes and then the vulpine man brightened up.  “Have a good time you two.”

“Thank you, Sir.  Ma’am.”

Grateful for the interruption, Cloudchaser walked over to Stephanie and
outstretched his hand.  “Stephanie, would you like to watch the fireworks
display with me, alone?”

The vixen blushed in rapturous delight.  “I-I’d love to come,” she said
softly,
taking his firm hand.  Her touch was warm to his hand.

“Here, you’ll need this,” Anna said, holding up Stephanie’s blanket.

“Thank you,” Stephanie said softly, taking the blanket.  Her hero led her
away
across the field.

“Boy, I’m not gonna ever fall in love if I have to act as goofy as that!”
Anna
stated, shaking her head at the two silhouettes walking away in the Georgia
moonlight.