[Vfw-times] MK Winter assault part 3b

COkane8116 at aol.com COkane8116 at aol.com
Tue Aug 7 22:40:47 CDT 2001

"...So, that night, Alexander of the Northlands loaded up his snow carriage
with his Goods and the Goods of his passengers to be; all the young children
of the village of Northlanders," Jono was saying. "But THEN!" - he Leaps onto
a table and stares up at the ceiling, spreading his paws wide, as if
encompassing the world. "The dark and terrifying FOG did come down from the
sky! And Nobody Could See! None of the children would make it to their
parents for the December holidays!"

A collective Gasp of shock and horror, and a few small whimpers emanate from
the small crowd of children in front of the panther, their eyes riveted on
him.

The storyteller's temporary mount is towards the front of the room; he's been
using it as a prop fairly often during the story. There's certainly enough
torches around so that he doesn't have to put any extra effort into making
himself visible to his audience (they being the two score-odd children mostly
sprawled on the floor watching him with undivided attention), but the room is
a small one, and its construction does not suit storytelling. Jonothan Hand,
travelling tavern bard, would have to project his voice a great deal if he
were trying to do one of his usual performances for the common people in this
room. But he doesn't have to here; the children are enthralled by the story,
and don't need the extra persuasion he would have to give adults sipping at
their beers. A small room, but a cozy one; kept very well warmed by the
heating spells set up over the Keep, unlike the outside.

Jono does not get to tell stories to children often. The only thing he does
often with children is wish he had them as an audience. Though it can't
easily be discovered from his usual means of business, and you wouldn't know
it given his nomadic past lifestyle, Jono has a passion for young ones
greater than most mothers.

He loves this to death.

"But why couldn't they see?" one child blurts out, clearly unfamiliar with
the concept of fog.

"Ah," Jono says, one paw going back up with a finger extended, so as to show
that now we are telling a lesson. "Fog is like blowing dust, or mist, all
throughout the air!" waving his paws through same air "and when the fog
combines with the snows that get as bad as they are Outside now, you can't
see but a few feet in front of your face! And you *must* see further than
that if you wish to know where you're going!" he says, smiling. "If Alexander
pushed on ahead, he the children could fall into a hole in the ice, and be,"
he lowers his voice to just barely above a whisper; this is a Very Serious
Thing," frozen to death."

Some of the children give little shivers of fear. Others just smirk, clearly
thinking Yeah, they say it's all dangerous, but I know that I would never be
caught in that.

"But!" Jono quickly says, so they don't have to dwell on freezing. "But, that
was when Alexander remembered Randolph, the Magic Reindeer!" He spreads his
paws out in awe. "Randolph, who could make his nose Glow with the brightest
of lights, penetrating even the Deepest fog, and thus take Alexander and the
children back home safely!"

"What's a reindeer?" asks one puzzled child amid a sea of beaming, hopeful
faces.

"A reindeer? Why, a reindeer is a horse of the Northlands; they are the ones
who pull along the Northlander's snow carriages for them!" Jono says, smiling
all the while. He was asked this question before, when he first mentioned
them. He doesn't mind, though; better to answer the question so that the
children can keep enjoying the story.

"Oh!" says the now enlightened child, now looking hopeful along with the
rest.

"But as you remember, Randolph was not treated well by the other reindeer; he
was the only one who knew Magic, and thus was feared by all the other
reindeer," Jono says, his voice now dropping low, as if maybe our new hope
may not hold out; the children's faces follow. "And yet! Alexander did
recognize Randolph's talent as being Necessary and Useful in this desperate
time, and so he went over to Randolph, and he asked him a question..." Jono
drops his paws to his sides briefly, then brings them back up again. "Now, I
need some help for this. Who wants to play Randolph?"

He always does this; it keeps the children involved in the story. Plus, it
makes a good indicator of how much they're identifying with the characters,
as gets evidenced when nearly every child raises their hand. "Okay, hmmm. You
three have gone before," he says to three boys who raise their hands every
time; the hands lower in slight disappointment, but only slight - everyone
Must get a turn, after all. "And you four, also you did before and you Have
you gone before?" he asks one bright-faced young boy who is waving his hand
energetically.

The boy shakes his head vigorously. Clearly, he's quite qualified for the
role. "Okay, you can come up and be Randolph," Jono tells him, and with that
every remaining hand drops down.

The young boy who was picked jumps up to his feet and starts to charge up,
then remembers what the kids were told the Last time someone ran, and very
slowly walks up to the front of the room, beaming as though he'd just been
awarded the riches of the whole of the valley. Jono grins back at him; this
is the part he loves the most.

He kneels down to face his now fellow actor. "Now, what's your name?"

"Randolph!" the kid says cheerily.

Jono chuckles. "No, no, what's your real name? The other kids need to know
who's being Randolph this time," he says, nodding sagely.

The boy ponders for a moment, then, resuming his cheery demeanor, cries out
"Josh!"

Jono grins, turning to the audience. "Okay Everyone, this is Josh, and he's
being Randolph for me for this next dialogue."

There are assorted waves from the children, and a collective "Hi, Josh." Josh
beams proudly - he gets to be Randolph! Then Jono says "Okay, it's time," and
with this Josh - now Randolph - assumes a serious expression.

Jono - now Alexander - knees down in front of Josh/Randolph and places his
hands on Josh/Randolph's shoulders. "Now, Randolph," he begins in an
understanding tone. "I know that you haven't had a very good time with the
other reindeer; that they don't understand your ability to do Magic, and that
they get very scared and jealous of your being able to do so. But," he
continues, "I need your help to get the children to their parents tonight, or
else we'll be stuck here when the Big Blizzard comes, and nobody will be able
to be with family for the December holidays! So," he says pleadingly, "I need
to know. Will you use your magic light to guide our way through the Fog and
the Snow? PLEASE, will you help us?"

"I will! I will! I will!" Josh/Randolph says, almost bouncing up and down in
his excitement to play the part.

"Ha HA! I knew I could count on you!" Jono/Alexander says, lifting
Josh/Randolph up by his sides and helping him to Fly through the air! "Thank
you, thank you, thank you!" Josh, meanwhile, is having the time of his life,
putting out his arms and Flying, like the birds and bird morphs! And all the
kids are cheering and clapping! The children will be able to make it home!
The December Holidays will be celebrated with all the Mommies and Daddies!
Everyone is Saved!

Unfortunately, the flight has to end sometime so that Jon can tell the story,
and so after one swing he sets Josh - now just Josh - back down, and Josh
goes back to his seat. The story is now one of a foregone conclusion, but it
has to be told anyways, just to make sure that nothing else happens before
Randolph can save the day.

Jono looks up, about to resume this course, then notes that between his
thanking Randolph profusely for his assistance and his setting Josh down,
he's acquired someone new in the audience. She's leaning against the door and
smiling broadly.

There has never been any question whether or not she loves kids as well;
Joanne Hunter, travelling herbalist/alchemist and healer visiting from Glen
Avery, gray vixen, and longtime companion of Jono, has always had a fondness
for the youth of the world. But she's never been as expressive about it as
Jono. Of course, he's the showman of the duo; she usually just keeps the
operation going. But for her, to see Jono performing for the audience of
youngsters, to see the smiles on the faces of All the kids. The one doing the
storytelling as well as the ones in the audience and to know that everyone
involved is having the time of their lives. This is what makes it worth all
to her. She doesn't need to do any storytelling herself; Jono does more than
enough for her.

Jono merely answers her smile with a quick wink - storytelling here, Jo,
can't interrupt - and goes back to the story.

"And so, with Randolph at the head of the snow carriage, Alexander did go
Forth into the snow and the fog! And it was a Long and Hard journey, even
with the magic of Randolph's light, but the children were comforted knowing
that Alexander would never let them go to harm."

He pauses briefly, then gives the smile of All Has Just Become Well. "And
when they got to the village, their parents Raced out to greet them, to hold
them and hug them close, because Mommy and Daddy always care for their kids.
And Alexander and Randolph were praised as Heroes of the village for bringing
the children home safely, and everyone Cheered at their triumph!" he says,
bringing his hands High in joyous celebration! And all the kids cheer once
more; the children have made it home finally!

Jono brings his hands back down, gives a simple smile, and gives his
traditional storyend. "And thus did it come to pass that Alexander and
Randolph saved the December Holidays for the Northlands village, and here
this story ends." His paws drop completely to his sides, to end.

Applause emerges from the doorway. Not just Joanne, but several of the
parents have also come by to witness the end of the story. Jono smiles, nods
in acknowledgment to them, then turns back to his soon to be dispersed
audience. "Okay, everybody, parents are here, so everyone has to Get Up and
start helping out around the house for December Holidays! Have a great day,
everyone; I'll see you all again tonight!"

The children for the most part leap up and start heading out the door,
chattering excitedly about brave Alexander and talented Randolph, waving
good-byes to each other as parents whisk them away to the day's chores, and
then it's just Jono and Jo in the room. She walks forward, smiling. "Another
successful production, Jono?"

Jono grins, nods almost as enthusiastically as his earlier volunteer.
"Certainly. They loved every moment of it."

"One could easily tell," she replies, still smiling. "I take it you've been
waiting a long time for the chance to do this again."

"Ahem, excuse me?" The voice comes not from Jono or Jo, but from someone in
the door. A quick glance by Jono identifies him as one of the parents
earlier; he's a mouse morph, and clearly a little nervous about this meeting
but wanting to get it done. "I just wanted to thank you for looking after
Jeremy for us; he can be a perfect terror in the mornings, and we really
appreciate your help."

"Glad to be of service," Jono tells him, smiling, and extending a paw. "And
you would be?"

"Kevin," the mouse replies, taking the paw after a brief hesitation.

"Good to meet you, Kevin," responds the panther, shaking the paw slowly. "I'm
Jonothan, but I go by Jono; this is Joanne, a longtime travelling partner of
mine."

"Ahh, nice to meet you both," Kevin says, offering his paw to the vixen, who
takes it briefly. "Well, I have to be going now; lots of preparations for the
day and all. Again, thank you." He bows his head briefly, then turns and
heads off.

The two watch him go, then turn back to each other, both smiling. "So," Jono
asks, "what plans did you have for the afternoon...?"

***
End part 3