[Vfw-times] MK Winter Assault part 8c

COkane8116 at aol.com COkane8116 at aol.com
Sat Aug 11 21:44:01 CDT 2001

  For those of you who didn't get part 8b last night - my apologies. Here it
is!!

*****************

  The title of this chapter may seem weird but if you've been paying
attention you MIGHT get the joke :) It's a little tip of the hat to one of my
favorite TV shows. If any one can geuss the reference (It is a bit obscure)
and be first to tell me and the list - then you've been watching FAR too much
british comedy.  :)

  One clue - you need to look back at a previous part to fully understand the
joke!

  Chris.

*****

12/24 - 6:30

"OW!"

"Sorry."

"Damn it!"

"Sorry!"

"What is this hedgehog doing in the punch?"

"Sorry!"

"Don't be sorry, be rid of it!"

"Sorry!"

Yes, it looked like the party was going exceedingly well, Kayla reflected as
she returned. From where Rickkter was standing, next to a fox, a wolverine,
and four humans - one of whom was wearing heavy leather gloves - it appeared
that he hadn't noticed her briefly slipping out. Of course she had no desire
for him to find out, and so slipped through the crowd until she was standing
behind her raccoon. His first indication that she was there was when she
slipped her arms around his front, pulling him towards her and nuzzling his
shoulder, which he indicated with a small yelp.

"Miss me, love?" she murred, nuzzling his back.

"Always." Rickkter reached back and pulled her around front, resting his arm
over her shoulder. "Where were you?"

"Oh, around. I just finally decided to see what all the fuss was about."

"Well, you certainly did miss a show. Why, one time Misha..." Rickkter
stopped mid sentence and leaned his nose down to Kayla's head and sniffed
around the fur there. "Have you been around Muri just now?"

Kayla turned her gaze down to the stone floor. Scent couldn't be hidden from
an animal morph, that was one thing she knew all too well. "Yes, that's where
I just came from. He wanted to meet me in the library, someplace quiet.
Private."

"What did he want that for?" asked Rickkter. Kayla could detect a hard edge
creeping into his voice.

"He wanted to exchange gifts and he knew that Llyn wouldn't like him doing
that with me. But he really wanted to do it, and I agreed that we should; he
needs to get used to human interaction again." She sighed. "I wish that he
could have stayed here a little longer. He needs to be around others."

"Well I suppose I can understand that." Rickkter hugged her close, his voice
having lost the edge. "I saw he and that mink of his at the feast, but
briefly.  Why aren't they here now? All the other Longs are."

"Well, two reasons really. First is Muri, of course. He's still not
comfortable with large, noisy crowds, as you know." Kayla spared a brief
glance around the room. "And she didn't want to put him through all this, and
so decided to spend the day with him."

"Well, that's too bad for the both of them, I guess." He turned back to the
main spectacle and hugged her with one arm again. "Let's just hope that you
haven't missed too much."

By this time Norman had managed to extricate himself from the punch.

"Hey, Norman," called out Misha. "Are you alright?"

"Fine, just fine," muttered the hedgehog, sucking a little of the remaining
wetness from his arm. "Though I think this batch of punch could use some more
spices."

Misha took the pair of heavy leather gloves from the burly human who had them
last. He quickly pulled them on and gave the palms a quick slap. "Well, we
can worry about that later, Norman," said Misha as he moved out onto the
empty section of the floor. The fox flicked his paws towards the hedgehog and
took up a bowlegged stance. "Come on, now. We're not done with you yet."

Kayla could only groan and roll her eyes as she nuzzled her cheek against
Rickkter's. "Well, for the rest of the day they'll be together," amended the
skunk, getting back to her story. "Llyn spent the morning with him, but is
getting a new dress now." Kayla looked down at her own apparel. "I guess she
just wanted to look beautiful for him."

Rickkter caught her tone and turned her around to face him. "Hey, didn't I
tell you that you look absolutely stunning in that outfit? I know it's old, I
can smell some of the age on it but that doesn't matter. You'd look just as
ravishing now if that dress had been tailored last week." Reaching down, he
used his crooked finger to lift up the edge of her chin. "If I were to give
you a necklace today, would it make any difference if I were to tell you that
it was once worn by a queen over two centuries ago or that I picked it up
from Will the day before?"

Her love's eyes had a mischievous twinkle to them that made Kayla smile
instantly. "Are you hinting at something, Rickkter?"

He leaned down and licked the white stripe between her eyes. "Maybe."

The female mephit's laugh was a delighted burr as she hugged close then
nuzzled the raccoon that meant so much to her. She looked out over the hall
filled with faces of people she had known for years but had only recently
come to be friends with; friends who were setting up pins at one side of the
hall and talking to a still dripping hedgehog on the other. Briefly she
wondered how much stranger this party was going to get in the next several
hours or so before it was over. From the look of Misha and the other Longs,
she wasn't going to be making any predictions. Not that it really mattered,
she realized as she rubbed Rick's arm. She had everything she needed right
here.

**

Dec 24, 6:30 p.m.

Ryuo knelt upon the bamboo tatami mats of his small room, breathing in the
incense and actively thinking about nothing.  After hours of study, the
oriental warrior was taking a much-needed rest for his heart to contemplate
the evening's lesson.  Outside, the winds continued to howl as the winter
storm that had suddenly blown up battered at the stone walls of the Keep.
Ryuo had long since closed the outer wooden shades of his small nook of the
Keep.  Hidden in a small crack between the towering spires of the Keep, it
was spared from the harshest winds of the winter storm.  Still, the snow
piled high outside, although the paper walls insulated remarkably well.

As Ryuo inhaled another long, deep breath through his nose, the spicy
incense floated lazily about his head, circling out to the four corners of
the square room.  Sitting serenely on his right was a leather bound tome of
mammoth proportions.  Faded gold leaf on the cover revealed it as a copy of
the Ecclessia's New Testament, written with a translated gloss of the
North-eastern Ma-yonshu script.

Ryuo was having trouble comprehending some of what he read;  A man made of
bread and wine? He thought incredulously.  Other passages, however, seemed to
contain words of wisdom.  Ryuo could only assume that this Yashua must have
been a truly enlightened individual.  His sacrifice was particularly
noteworthy as an example of his warrior spirit.

Apparently, it was his birth that many of the others celebrated tonight in
the Ecclessia Cathedral.  Most of the others had gone to the great shrine of
the Keep to have the priestess help them call out their prayers to the gods.

Ryuo, however, had felt no draw towards either, and had retired to his room
after his shift on the wall.  Here he had stayed, reading and meditating
while the storm raged outside.

Gathering back his wandering mind, Ryuo stared calmly at the blank wall
before him and once more began to send his thoughts into blissful oblivion.

**

12/24 - 6:45p.m.

The lighthouse was packed that day.  The whole tower was cozy and warm,
despite the raging storm outside.  A great many of the residents were feeling
warm and cozy as well.  For most of them, it was an exceedingly joyous
occasion.  It was going to be a real Christmas, complete with feasting,
gifts, and happy times spent with good friends.  Most of them thought that
they would never live to see another Christmas.  Their days of hiding in the
wilderness after Hipocc was destroyed had almost crushed their hope of living
through the year, and yet here they were, singing carols in the lighthouse
sanctuary.

Desuka was trying to lead the singing, every now and then forgetting to
translate a word.  Mong Ho, having had a touch too much nog that night, was
launching into a song in her native tongue.  Ye just sat there and smiled at
her, happy that she was having such a good time.

Gornul sat perched on the back of a pew with Mitok and Qualin on either side.
 His family had been working hard to keep the fire burning on the top floor
to serve as a beacon to those hardy souls who were braving the storm to be at
Metamor Keep for the Christmas festivities.  Natalie had taken  over from
them so that the lot of them could take a break and come join the fun.

Jesse Roo was busily sampling the Christmas cookies and recommending various
varieties of goodies to Blake Tizzo, who nodded in a polite manner and
snuggled up to Shamgar, who had come down from the keep a couple hours
earlier, for warmth.

Vitra sat alone in a corner with a cup of punch.  Every once in a while, she
would hold the cup out to the side.  It was obvious what she was doing. She
was imagining that her late husband, Ushka, could be here for the
festivities.  Though Vitra was his wife now, Oren understood that he could
not replace Ushka nor diminish the love that was there.  Nor should it be so.

Oren understood how she felt.  This would be his very first Christmas without
his parents, and without many of his loved ones.  His sister was alive and
present, as was her young son, Alyxander, but she was the only family he had
now.  Even Ana, the woman he almost married once, was gone.

Everything, both happy and sad, seemed just as it should be.  Why, then, did
Oren feel so ill at ease?

He could not understand it.  Here it was, almost Christmas, and yet the otter
could not be merry.  Something was simply and basically wrong.

Slipping away from the crowd, Oren headed up the stairs.  Up, past the
residential floors he went.  Up past the armory and the food stores.  All the
way up to the top level.  There, he found Natalie, who had shifted into as
human a form as she could get, the better to brave the cold.  She was also
fairly small, presumably to minimize the area of her skin.  Oren knew that
this storm had to be rough on the reptiles, especially dragons.

When she noticed him, Natalie smiled and said "Do you have any idea what's
wrong with Leo?"

Oren looked around, but didn't see the person in question.  "Where is Leo?"
he asked.

"Up on the roof." she replied.

"In this weather?  He's nuts."

Natalie tilted her head to the ceiling in affirmation.  So, feeling like a
moron for doing so, Oren climbed the ladder to the roof.

There was Leo, standing like a statue amid the blowing winds.  Oren supposed
that he was equipped for such a thing.  Like the other Hipocci who had
already transformed, Leo had been given a double transformation.  He had
become a polar bear with the suction-cup feet of a hyrax.  Like the otter, he
wore only the blue vest and briefs of his uniform, decorated only by his
cuffs and the red cape which flapped in the breeze.  Even now, it seemed
strange to see him dressed like a warrior, when Oren's memories still
depicted him as a lad less than ten in his mind.

"Leo?" he said, shrinking as he approached the bear.  He was glad that he no
longer had to become female to assume a more lutrine form, for he wanted an
excuse to hug the roof as the violent wind whipped past.

"Oren?" Leo responded, raising his voice against the storm.  "What are you
doing up here?"

"ME?" she called back in a rising voice.  "What are YOU doing up here?"

"Looking.  There's something out there."

"You see something?"

"No.  But I know it's out there.  I can feel it."

A chill went down Oren's back which had nothing to do with the storm.  He
knew that Leo was never wrong about these things.  "What is it, Leo?" he
asked.

"I don't know, but I think we ought to get folks moved inside the keep. At
least the civilians."

"All right.  Come on down, Leo."

**

  End part 8c