[Vfw-times] Mk Winter assault part 9a

COkane8116 at aol.com COkane8116 at aol.com
Sat Aug 11 21:45:49 CDT 2001

 Here is part 9a. :)

**********

7:30pm.

Jeremy and Samuel and Derek have always been the undisputed Champions of the
Snowball Fight. The three of them always manage the proper style; Samuel
manages to make many, many snowballs very, very fast to keep people on their
toes, and Derek and Jeremy are uncannily good at accuracy. Jeremy will
sometimes get hit back in the inevitable return fire, he's not all that fast

but Derek is completely invincible when it comes to flying projectiles of
water crystals. To be the One To Hit Derek would be to be the Ultimate, the
Greatest, the Snowball Champion Of The World.

Unfortunately for any would-be champions, Derek is dodging snowballs very
effectively still, even with the blizzard affecting visibility so seriously
that many doubted even powerful Randolph could make his way through. Still,
Jeremy's dad, being a Fire mage, manages to keep them all warm in addition to
their big warm clothes, so nobody is uncomfortable at the weather, just the
defeat.

"Got you again!" Jeremy yells at Josh as a snowball plasters across the back
of the young previously-actor's jacket. Josh's response is to start trying to
look around, attempting to spot the splotch on his back. Jeremy goes to focus
on other attackers, and in so doing keeps himself occupied while Daemion
rushes up to Josh and quickly brushes the blotch of snow off his back.
"There, you're healed," he whispers conspiratorially to the would-be defeated
soldier.

Josh grins, scoops up a snowball and hurls it at Jeremy, getting a direct hit
right on the top of his "murderer's head, whereupon Daemion quickly yells out
a "Got you!" so as to keep the deception going. Jeremy jaw drops in surprise,
and turns to see Daemion grinning, while Josh is headed to the side of the
battlefield towards the designated 'morgue.'

Jeremy grumbles and heads after Josh, who is sitting down along with his
snow-slain fellows near the grown-ups.

"That's a pretty clever trick he's going, going, eh?" Perry asks Jono. Perry
is a hedgehog morph; a swift and capable soldier who is out here mostly to
look after his son.

"Who?" Jono asks.

"My boy over there, Daemion," Perry says, pointing. "He knows his
limitations. He can't throw a snowball very well, but he still wants to play
and keep things going. So he goes out and 'heals' fallen kids by brushing the
snow off, then has them throw snowballs for him. The 'healed' kid usually
gets to get his revenge against whoever hit him with the snowball, and
Daemion gets to join in," he observes with a chuckle. "He's saying he wants
to be a real healer when he grows up too," Perry continues, obviously very
proud of his child.

"Oh?"

"Yep!" Perry says, beaming. "He's already going over to see Merai at the
Lightbringer temple occasionally just to look at some basics, and he was
thinking about finding some way to talk to your friend Joanne while she was
here." He grins widely. "Be nice to see my boy getting himself educated, for
damn sure."

Jo speaks up then, having been silent until now. "I'm sure it would be.
Wonderful to see them grow up and go see the rest of the world."

Perry then turns to the pair. "Why haven't you two, like, ever seriously
gotten together?" he asks. "Like, stopped and raised a family, or something?"

Jo raises an eyebrow; Jono laughs. "There's no way we'd be able to have kids
between the two of us; our friendship has boundaries, and that's past them.
Besides, we never wanted to settle down, really; if not for the Curse we'd
not be here still."

Jo then acquires a small smile. "That and I've already got myself a child,"
she indicates Jono with a cock of the head.

"Oh, pah! Only part-time at best!" Jono protests. "Besides, I could never do
better as a little kid than you," he continues, grinning in a mock evil
manner.

Joanne responds by leaning down, scooping up a pawful of snow, balling it up
and hurling it at the panther, grinning as she does so.

"Ha!" cries Jono as he ducks down to dodge, and the duel is on.

Jono, while ducking, scoops up two pawfuls of snow, balling them up into one
as best he can and leaps to the side, hurling the snowball towards Jo in
mid-flight. The vixen drops herself, bringing her paw down and up in a wide
arc to try and fling a giant scoop of snow towards the cat as he lands, but
he quickly turns his landing into a roll out of the way, at the termination
of which he grabs up another scoop of snow and sends it in the vixen's
direction. She blocks it easily with her forearm and then flings the ball she
prepared in her paw earlier while Jono was doing his acrobatics, but he
manages to dodge this as well, leaping forward to get closer to the vixen and
get an easier shot.

And then POW! and Jono YOWLS in surprise as a snowball slaps him in the side
of the face.

He turns to see... young Derek, grinning, another snowball in his hand being
tossed up and down. "Gotcha, Uncle Jono."

Perry and Jo, of course, cannot get up from the ground because of how hard
they're laughing.

"Yes, yes, you got me," Jono says, suppressing a chuckle. Then he reaches
down, scoops up another ball and attempts to hit the laughing vixen in the
mouth. She rolls to the side easily, still laughing. The cat grumbles
briefly, then mock sighs and throws his hands up, looking to the sky. "I just
can't win, can I?" he asks of the heavens while the children in the 'morgue'
snicker.

"Nope." the vixen says, still snickering.

Derek takes the opportunity and hurls his other snowball, catching Joanne
right on the nose and soliciting a loud yip from the suddenly stricken vixen.

Perry is now pinned to the ground, laughing uncontrollably. Jono looks like
he's about ready to join the hedgehog.

And Derek just sits there, grinning ear to ear, having solidified his
position as Unsurpassed King Of The Snowfields at Metamor.

***

Scene III - 7:50pm.

"Jono!"

The black cat turns around to see a large bull morph headed his way. "It's
almost 8:00! The kids need to get inside!"

Jono blinks, then quickly turns towards the snowed battlefield. "Okay,
everyone, it's getting close to time for the ceremonies; let's all get inside
now!"

There is, of course, a chorus of "awwww"s and similar signs of depression,
but the children comply quickly. Most of the Mommies and Daddies among them
wouldn't even have agreed to this if Jono hadn't promised they'd all be at
the ceremonies; they might not get to see him again if they miss it. And none
of them would ever want to pass up the chance to see Uncle Jono again.

"Everybody!" calls out Jono, heading up towards the battlefield, silently
counting each child. One of thirty-eight. Two. Three. Four... We need to get
moving! We're already late, and the Mommies and Daddies don't like that!
Eleven. Twelve. that group brings it up to twenty."

Jeremy runs past followed closely on his heels by Josh and Andrea, both still
hurling snowballs at him. Twenty-three. "Jo, what's the count for you?"

"Fourteen. Have you seen Derek?" the vixen cries back.

Jono curses under his breath. Derek's always been the troublesome one;
usually hiding in a snowdrift or behind a barrel so he can stay out longer.
"Derek! Derek, get over here!" Then to Jo, "Get all the rest inside and over
to my rooms; they need to get started getting changed. I'll get Derek."

******

7:55pm.

"DEREK!" Jono yells, now searching around the barrels buried beneath
snowdrifts, mentally forgetting that he used to pull this very trick with his
own parents. Kevin's spell is going to wear off pretty shortly, and he has no
illusions about what would happen to Derek if he gets caught out here too
long. "Where are you? Games are done, we need to go if we want to play
again!"

No response.

Jono starts peeking in barrels with disturbed snow about them. No Derek. But
his nose just barely catches a scent... he Was here.

"Derek! Get Over Here Now!" he yells, starting to track down the scent as
best he can in the billowing snow.

* * *

Jo is at this time meeting back up with the bull morph guard and another,
apparently a transgendered soldier, a sea of kids behind her. Dana, the
woman, is currently bringing up the rear to make sure none of the kids sneak
away while Kirk stays at the door, waiting for Jono and Derek.

Metamor Keep's variable geometry always dictates that the length of time
needed to pass down a corridor to get to your destination is always going to
be different, so Jo doesn't have any way of telling when they're going to get
there. So she keeps her eyes on the walls, looking for the Seal Of Bardic
Immunity duplication Jono carved on his door.

"C'mon, everyone, we have to hurry," she urges the kids. She knows they're
going to be late regardless; the kids still have to change out of their
winter clothes and into their good clothes for the Ceremonies. Father Hough
might shake his head and chuckle at seeing drenched kids in the halls, but
she doesn't know about the current Lightbringer, and so it's best to play it
safe for everyone.

Then, "That's the door," she thinks to herself, spotting the Seal a bit
further down the hall. There's a few Keepers moving pretty frantically down
at the other end of the hall; apparently her party isn't going to be the only
late one.

***
end part 9a