[Vfw-times] GM: A Halloween to Remember - 2

Wolf0013 kryses0013 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 4 01:04:40 CST 2001

I walked down the halls of the school, eyeing everyone in their costumes as they eyed me, vampires, zombies, lawyers, all manner of monsters that would terrify normal humans any other day of the year. Mother tells me the council encourages the teachers and school board to promote this sort of thing on Halloween. I guess this is supposed to make people like me feel a little more at home.

"Oh Hey great costume," said an acne covered student dressed as a Fire Fighter.  "Thanks man," I said absently giving him a tooth wide mouthed grin "Happy Halloween."

Internally I cursed myself.  The acne covered student passed quickly, a look of confusion on his face. He must've seen my tongue move because he was suddenly walking away obviously contemplating how somebody could possibly create such a realistic effect.

I kicked myself, and internally took note to try to restrict my facial movements a bit. "Hey Happy Halloween," said a girl dressed up as a vampire, breaking me out of my internal daze.

"Oh thanks," I said a making conscious effort to restrain a smile. "Happy Halloween to you too," casually I waved as I passed her, and slowly made my way through the halls towards my first class.

It seemed like everyone wanted to say hello, which I didn't mind one bit.  I'd stop whenever someone wanted me to, some wanted to see me pose a bit to get a better look as my 'costume', some girls even wanted to get their pictures taken with me. It was rather embarrassing really but it felt nice to be showered with such attention, and I couldn't really say no to them.  Little by little these stops added up.

 The bell rang just as I dashed into the classroom. Everyone's eyes seem to fall upon me as I froze in embarrassment.  Everybody was already in their seats. They were staring at me, the workaholic who never missed a class and was never late. It struck me though that they were staring for another reason. "Eh, hello," I said unsteadily.

 "Is that you Nathan?" rang out the voice of Ms Baker, having recognized my voice.

"Yeah," I said trying to act as normal as possible, "Were you expecting someone else?" I commented casually.  "Wow!" she said amazed, "That's some costume you've got there, if I didn't know better I'd say you were a real werewolf!"

"Sure does look, good doesn't it?" I said with a casual chuckle. "Actually it isn't a costume I'm real werewolf taking advantage of the holiday."  I glanced across the room, spying everyone begin to whisper and murmur, at that moment I regretted that comment and I felt like running off with my tail between my legs.

 "Right, whatever you say," said Ms Baker as she inspected me from behind her desk. "Where'd you get it?"

"Oh um, it was a," I paused to think, I wasn't prepared for that question. "It was a custom job, yeah," I said stuttering a lie, "yeah, I paid a friend of mine to create this for me; he works for a small special effects company."

"Really?" she paused for a second and took another look at the costume. "Well, I'll have to look into getting a custom job done next year myself," said Ms Baker turning her attention back to her work. "I'll let you get away with being late this one time, but don't make habit of it.  Please take a seat."

"Thanks Ms Baker," I said while gingerly making my way too my usual desk.  Class went its normal route after that.  Tests were given, questions were given, and answered.  As always I answered everything without difficulty and spent most of my time looking out the window towards the woods behind the school.

"Okay everyone," said Ms Baker ten minutes before the end of class. "Put down your pencils and pass your work to the front. You may have free time for the rest of the class."  Eager for the change of pace, I quickly passed in my work and jumped to my feet.

"Hello there," suddenly came a soft pleasant voice behind me, quickly I turned around to look into the eyes of a beautiful Asian girl with long raven black hair.  "I've been watching you today, and I must say I love your costume."  Her voice was genuine, flirty, and sarcastic, like she was trying to share some strange joke with me.

"I'm sorry," I said swallowing my throat, "I am afraid we've never met." I tried backing off slowly, but she seemed to be matching me step by step.  "How sweet, you're shy," she said with a smile. "I want to show you my costume, later during third period.  We have the same class that hour."

"We do?" I stuttered in confusion, "I've never seen you there before!" for that matter, I'd never seen her anywhere before, ever.  "Oh you're so sweet!" she said as she grabbed me and then affectionately rubbed up against my chest.  I suddenly tensed, finding myself unable to do anything to break out of the grasp of this girl, as if this she had some strange hold on me beyond the obvious.  Slowly she let go of my waist, and looked up into my face, smiling.

"Seeya then Wolf Boy." and with these words she turned and walked away, seeming to disappear without a trace into a crowd. Suddenly I realized that I'd been holding my breath for a very long time. I exhaled and slumped over a little bit, even as the other
students gathered around me to see ask me about my costume.  They asked questions and seemed totally unaware that the Asian girl had ever even been there. I tried to be polite, but in point of fact my mind was on the strange girl I had just met. Something about her seemed very familiar, but at the same time I found that I was terribly frightened of her.

End part two