[Vfw-times] TBP - Zach's Story (revision), Final Draft

PJ Skunk pj_skunk at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 7 12:52:15 CDT 2002

TBP - Zach's Story

By PJ Skunk
pj_skunk at vulpine.transform.to

Author's note: This is my first attempt at writing a
story in The Blind Pig universe, and probably the
first time I actually finished a short story. Zach is
an almost exact representation of myself with only a
few minor differences.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this story since I had a fun
time writing this one.

'So bored...'

'What to do, what to do?' Thought Zach, as he absently
bagged groceries for a norm customer.

'Same routine time and time again, this is getting
really dull.  I've already been on this job for at
least two weeks and bored already, how pitiful.' As he
begun to daydream again, he suddenly felt a really
sharp pain in his left hind paw.  That brought him
back to reality.  He was about to yell at that person
who ran over his foot with a shopping cart, but
decided not to; instead he just nodded at the customer
and rubbed his foot paw gently.

	For as long as he could remember, Zach had always
been very reclusive, rarely going out in public.  This
was because he had a really terrible fear of being
with other people; it was so terrible that he had
isolated himself.  With only his videogames, music,
and small circle of friends to keep himself company.
He knew he had really bad problems, but merely
shrugged it off.  When anybody asked, his only reply
was "nothing, nothing at all."  This bugged him of
course, but he always kept an expression of calmness.
But this was just a mask to cover his true feelings;
feelings of both shame and guilt that had haunted him
for years, only his eyes betrayed the mask he always
wore.

"Hey Zach, how long are you just going to sit there?"
Said someone at the next check out counter.  It was a
hot looking gray vixen, which was almost as old as
Zach.  Quickly he scratched one of his long ears and
replied with an embarrassed look on his short muzzle;
" Ummm, not too long I guess."

"It is not like we are having a sale or anything,
Rachel."

"Well, you should at least make yourself look busy
just in case the manager shows up." said the fox with
a growl.

"I'll try to keep that in mind."

	After about twenty minutes of very little activity in
the store, Zach decided to go look for something that
needed to be done.  All the while he thought about
what happened to him, all those many years ago.  'How
long has it been six years, eight; since he started
taking advantage of me, or was it the medicine that
-They- insisted on giving me that forced me to stay in
the submissive role for so long?'   Those questions
have been on Zach's mind ever since he visited a
couple of friend's who lived at least a couple states
away from him.  When he was with those friends he felt
secure enough, to be able to get many things off of
his chest. These were things that he had always kept
secret and felt too ashamed to speak about.  After a
long talk with his most trusted friend, he felt much
better as tears that had been held deep inside for
many long years were allowed to flow freely. Being
hugged and comforted had made Zach realize who he
really was, for the first time in his life.

	As he saw that there was a small puddle of water that
was obviously coming from a pipe that had separated
from the joint, Zach swiftly got the mop and bucket
out and started cleaning the mess up; all the while
humming a tune to himself.

	After finishing that up, he went into the backroom
and got a wrench to fix the offending leak. Slowly he
shifted his gaze upon the fresh looking cabbage and
lettuce and started to feel quite hungry, remembering
that he missed breakfast. It took him only a couple
turns and then it was done. He looked at his watch and
said to himself excitedly  "Woohoo, quitting time."
He then quickly went to get his time card, sprinting
so carelessly that he nearly tripped on his oversized
feet-paws.  It took him only a second to punch out
then he was off to the car.  Deciding to stop at home
first, he sped off at break-neck speed.

	The drive home was always refreshing for this
rabbit-morph since he rarely got outside, other than
to drive to and from work.  But, as Zach got halfway
to his apartment he remembered that his girlfriend was
not home yet and decided to take a nice ride out into
the country to find a nice spot to graze and to calm
his nerves, since he had so many things on his mind.
The place where he was going is a good half hour away
from the City; it was a sort of park area with many
different types of great tasting vegetation, that
provided good cover for a nice, long snooze after
filling your belly with fresh greens.
At that, he thought about how much he enjoyed being in
his element, all by himself without the turmoil of
city-life.

	To Zach it had always felt natural to be there, ever
since SCABs changed him.
It become much more of a truth: since his genes are
derived from 'wild' relatives that are common to most
of North America.  So much that most of the instincts
were ever present. But, they had turned out to be more
of a blessing than a curse; saving his life more than
once in fact, with an incident that happened a couple
of weeks after the 'Flu' had run it's course and
changed him into a 120 lb morphic cottontail rabbit.
As he grazed he thought about how he met his wonderful
musteline girlfriend.

______________________
______________________

	It was during the spring months, April to be exact.
After being cooped up in his house for at least five
long days busily doing a several art projects, Zach
started to become very anxious; so anxious that he
started to feel quite hungry.  Very quickly he made up
his mind and decided to venture outside.  But, as he
padded over to the front door and opened it, something
caught his eye across the street.  It appeared to be a
dark shadow slinking around some nearby garbage cans,
that a neighbor had forgotten to put away.  Since it
was still around 3:00 PM and sunny out, he assumed it
was just the lighting playing a trick on his
semi-lapine mind.  Cautiously he hopped onto his front
lawn, searching for some sweet tasting weeds to munch
on.  As he became a bit more relaxed in a nice shady
spot: underneath a large oak tree, he started to graze
a little: suddenly there was a slight rustling in a
nearby bush. Quickly, Zach perked up his long ears and
started sniffing the air.  What he smelled was a scent
that was unfamiliar to him.  As curious as he was,
Zach decided to question 'it'.

"He...llo?"  But there was no response, only the sound
of the wind.  He tried again this time a bit louder.

"Is anyone there?"  This time there was a growling
sound, right behind him.  As Zach turned his head, he
spied a mean looking gray colored weasel that was
obviously hungry for rabbit.

	But unknown to Zach at the time, the weasel was
actually a full-morph who happened to be wearing some
type of scent-killer to mask her approach.  All that
the shocked cottontail could say was a stunned "Damn."
 Suddenly his instincts took over and he was off like
a bottle rocket, running to nowhere in particular with
the weasel about a yard behind him.  With it closing
in, he got a great idea.  As he was nearing a brush
pile, Zach slowed down a little and gave the weasel a
swift kick in the nose causing it to swerve into a toy
dump truck that dazed it only for a couple seconds.
As that feeling wore off, the weasel got really pissed
off, so pissed that it started hissing loudly.   That
sound gave Zach a head start with his adrenaline
pumping in full force, which made him madly dash
toward some nearby swimming pool, which had an open
gate.

	As he started to calm down a little, Zach decided to
rest for a second. But, he remained cautious with that
weasel still trailing him.  Stopping a least a couple
of inches from the pool, he thought about using a
couple tricks of his own.  He stood up on his hind
legs and looked around for a safe hiding spot since,
he can't seem to scent the predator.  "Ha, there's the
perfect spot." he whispered to himself.  The spot he
had chosen was a pile of PVC pipes that were barely
wide enough to hide him-self in.  It was a tight fit,
but Zach managed to get in with little discomfort.  As
he sat there, the weasel followed the lapiform SCAB's
scent around the pool. But lost the scent as she
neared the pile of pipes. The plastic and solvent
smell was so overwhelming to the mustelid that she
started feeling a bit light headed.  Hearing that the
weasel was on the opposite end of the hiding place, he
got out of the pipes and immediately kicked the wide
end of pile causing the to roll toward the water;
dragging the weasel backwards with it, into the pool
screaming.  Unable to suppress a chuckle Zach stood up
with his paws at his hips and said.

"So, you thought you outsmarted me, by stooping so low
as to use scent killer?"  But the only response he got
was sniffling and gurgling sound, that indicated that
the other morph could not swim.

"Help Me!"  She cried out, while desperately clawing
at a partially submerged pipe.

"Why should I?" Zach retorted "You were trying to kill
me not too long ago, and now you want me to help you."

"Damn man, I just wanted to play with you *cough* not
actually kill you." said the weasel as she still
struggled to stay afloat.

"Umm.... Okay, if you insist."  Zach said, still
uncomfortable with the thought of helping a creature
that usual hunts rabbits.  Quickly, he jumped into the
water and swam toward the weasel, which was near the
deep end of the pool.  It took only a couple of
minutes to grab and tow her back to the edge of the
pool, where Zach helped to squeeze the water out of
her fur.

"Thanks, by the way my name is Amber," She said, still
shivering from the cold water.

"I'm Zach, pleased to meet you.  Anyway, why were you
chasing me?"

"I was actually going for a stroll until I scented
you, then my instincts toke over.  When they take over
I completely turn feral." Amber laughed a bit at that.

"Really?"

"Yup"

"What I would like to know is, what's up with that
scent killer that you are wearing?"

"Scent killer?" She inquired.

"You know, the stuff that hunters sometimes wear to
mask their scent from their prey," said Zach.

"You're so silly, that is just a deodorizing spray
designed for mustelid's that you can get at any Petco.
 Besides, it keeps my fur soft and shiny," said Amber
with a toothy grin.

"I'm sorry about kicking you earlier. I was really
afraid with you chasing after me and all."

"Don't be, like I said, when I scent rabbits or other
prey species; my natural instinct takes over and I
fully shift into a weasel. It was so bad that I was
almost sent to a SCABS Institution, over a little
incident."

"What happened?"

"I don't really want to talk about it..."

"Oh, that bad." Zach said in soothing voice, while
giving her a hug that she really needed.

"Thanks" she said returning the embrace.

"Anyway, what is your story Zach?"

"Umm, my story? I'm not sure where to begin."

"You could start by telling me a little about
yourself."

"Well... I'm twenty years old and a high school
graduate.  I also like doing lots of neat things with
my computer and artistic skills.  But, with these paws
it has been quite difficult to get on with my life as
you can see.  My life used to be mostly about my art,
but that the old me is dead and gone.  Anyway, I have
been able to get along handsomely, even though I'm
unemployed."  Zach said as he showed off his short
paws.

"Your an artist?"

"Yup.  But, I'm still kind of a novice at it."  He
said with a chuckle that sounded a little like
chittering.

"Even if you're a novice, it might not be as bad as
you think."  Amber giggled with a surprised look on
her shortish muzzle.

Zach Said  "Oh?"

"If you'd like, I could show you mine."

"I think I would really like that."  Said Zach as he
followed Amber onto the sidewalk across the street.

"My apartment is just up the street, just follow me."

"Okay."

______________________

	The late afternoon sun was really soft, with a light
salty ocean breeze coming from the southeast part of
the City.  Quickly the unlikely pair, made their way
toward Amber's apartment which was at least two blocks
away from Zach's house.  Which surprised him a little.
 As they neared the entrance, Amber said.  "I'll be
right back, I have to check in."  It took her only a
minute to buzz the front desk and then the door
opened.  Amber took Zach's paw and placed it on her
left shoulder and smiled a bit.  For she knew that
this rabbit could be a really lovable companion.

	Unknown to Zach, Amber had been watching him for
quite some time.  But, from a distance she admired him
for how sweet natured he was.  She first laid eyes on
him while he visited The Blind Pig Gin Mill a week ago
to talk to his good friend's Phil and SR.  For her it
was love at first sight.  But she chose today to make
contact with Zach and become a really, really close
friend.

	The Apartment building was well furnished for a
middle class neighborhood.  It was like the interior
of a mansion, complete with red carpeting that was
outlined with gold knitting and beautiful paintings
covered the walls of the hallway.  They padded up to a
wooden door that was made of oak, and had a number
plate that was made of solid gold: with the number 15
on it.

"Here we are."  She said upon entering with Zach still
holding her paw.  As they entered the apartment Zach
was overwhelmed a little by the slight musteline scent
in the air.

"What an interesting little place you got here." He
said as he took in the layout of the studio apartment.
 It was well furnished with a couple couches, large
windows, antique chairs, and lots of beautiful
paintings that covered most of the empty wall space.
He wondered how Amber could afford such a luxurious
place.  As he went further in something caught his
eye, it was a large painting of a silver dragon that
was done in oil paint, which looked almost lifelike.

"Did you paint this one yourself, Amber?" Zach asked.

"Why yes, I did."

"It looks as if you have real talent."

"Thank you." Amber said with a blush that could be
seen through the fur on her short muzzle.

"I'm quite the artist myself, though I mostly work
with rulers and a compass'."

"You might want to give half the credit to my roommate
Sandy.  She did most of the still-life paintings you
see here."

"You have a roommate?  Is she cute?"

"Well Yeah she is really cute, being a Siamese ferret
and all."

"That's cool since I always had a thing for
mustelid's, especially weasels and ferrets."

Suddenly there was a knock at the door.  It was so
sudden that it sent Zach scurrying behind a couch in
slight terror.

"Who is it? Amber asked.

"It's me Sandy, I'm back from my afternoon school
exam."

"Okay, It will take only a second.  Be sure to wipe
your paws."

"Zach you can come on out, there is nothing to be
afraid of."

"Uhh, Okay."  Zach said, still with his long ears
twitching in slight distress.  As he found the
courage, Zach climbed up onto the couch and decided to
relax for a bit.

	Amber padded over to the door and unlatched it.
Letting in her roommate, who had a large book bag at
her side, which looked pretty funny on the ferret.
For a slender body, Sandy obviously had a lot of
difficulty keeping it on her shoulder at any given
time.  To Zach it looked a little yiffy from his spot
on the couch.

"Hi Sandy, there is somebody that I would like to
meet."

"Is he that person you have been gossiping about, at
the Pig?"

"Yup, and he's sitting on the couch."

"Oh cool!" sand said with a large smile on her
muzzle."

"Zach, this my roommate Sandy, And Sandy this is
Zach."

"Pleased to meet you." he said, as he took Sandy's paw
and kissed it; that made her blush a little.

"Oh gosh, you are a true gentleman."

"Why, thank you." He smiled.

"I've heard allot about you from Amber."

"You have?  But I only just met her today!"  His smile
changed into a look of surprise.

"Actually, I've seen you quite a few times at the
Blind Pig.  Probably you never noticed me, since I
usually sit at a table in the back."  Amber laughed.

"That must mean that you're my secret admirer.  I
should have known that it was you sending me all those
gifts."  Zach said, now with a smirk on his face.

"I fell in love with you, the moment I saw you a
couple weeks ago; but, I was a bit too shy to
introduce myself formally." Amber said, still with a
smirk across her muzzle.

"I have also seemed to have grown attached to you
too."  At that, Zach and Amber exchanged a big hug.
"Zach, when was it, that you first came to the City?"

"Well, I came here about six months ago, just after I
got out of the hospital."

"How long were you in for."

"I was there for at least three weeks, they say. But I
do not recall much of my transformation, since I was
feverish and incoherent off and on most of those three
weeks," He sighed.

"The strange thing was, I sort of enjoyed the changes
that were happening to my body; the feelings were
really familiar, as if I had always been a rabbit.
But, mostly in my dreams.  That is what's so strange
about the Martian flu; it seems to know your deepest
desires, and dreams. I think of it more of a blessing
than a curse."

"Wow, I never thought about it that way.  Perhaps,
being a furry has more advantages than one might
suspect. Since it could influence the way SCABS
works," she said with a knowing smile. Slowly, she
wrapped her tail around Zach and brought him closer to
her breast, which made Zach a little excited.

"Thanks for everything, Amber." Zach said as he kissed
her on the lips. The mustelid
Blushed a little as she answered. "It is the least I
could do for someone who truly understands how I feel.
I noticed that by the way you spoke to your two
friends; I believe that their names are Phil and SR.
You see I was really depressed when I first found out,
that I was changed into a weasel.  After coming home
from the hospital, my family started acting hostile
towards me, and that made me even more depressed. I
almost thought about committing suicide," At that her
smile quickly turned into a frown.

"I'm so sorry..." Said Zach

"Don't be, my family was really religious and believed
that SCAB's was a mark from Satan and then stopped
listening to me.  A couple days later, I packed up and
left for the City."

"My family was kind of that way too, but that was in a
different life."

"Where are you from, originally?" She asked.

"I used to live in Northeastern Wisconsin; in a small
town. Where did you live, Amber?"

"Me?   Umm... I used to live in a small town in
western Pennsylvania; it was a town that was mostly
made of Catholics. I think I made a wise choice moving
to the City, because in my old town they treated
SCAB's like outcasts, and the Human Firster's ran
almost everything. I almost got skinned before I
safely made it to the Bus station." Amber said, almost
on the verge of tears.

"I know how hateful they could be, in fact they almost
beat me to death a couple of days after leaving the
hospital."

Almost instinctively, Zach started snuggling up to the
weasel to calm her down. All the while telling her
"shhh... Everything's going to be all right." They
were snuggling for hours, as Zach soothed her with
careful paws.

And that is how Zach met his wonderful girlfriend who
is soon to become his wife.

-More to come