[Mkguild] The Last Tale of Yajakali - Chapter LXIX

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Sat Dec 20 11:35:00 EST 2008

And here's the next Chapter.  I hope to have another done after Christmas.

Metamor Keep: The Last Tale of Yajakali
By Charles Matthias

Chapter LXIX

Watching from Cenziga

         While the hills of the Outer Midlands
were cris-crossed by streams fed by runoff from
mountains to both north and south, few of them
were wide enough even during the Spring thaw to
support anything larger than fishing
trawlers.  There was plenty of water for both
farming and pastureland which the Outer Midlands
possessed in abundance, but without navigable
rivers they were at a disadvantage in both commerce and war.
         To address this lack the elves fashioned
many roads of tight fitting stone for their human
subjects in centuries long past.  These roads
passed many a town and city, but only one of
their cities could still truly claim the heritage
of their long-lived benefactors.  All the rest
had been built over by the hand of man enough
that the peculiar touch of the elves was
disguised.  Only the ancient city of Salinon, to
which these many roads led, still seemed to match the roads themselves.
         Riding in a caleche with chains binding
his hands, Lord Mayor Jaime Verdane, son of Duke
Titian Verdane of Kelewair, could not clearly see
the outlines of the city as they neared.  Through
the caleche window he could see the eastern sky
was dark with storm clouds and the coming
night.  Behind them a red dusk bathed the land in
long crimson streaked shadows.  The pearlescent
towers of Salinon, standing upon a tall bluff
overlooking an ice-locked lake and clusters of
houses owned by farmers and fishermen now covered
in a layer of snow easily a foot deep, glowed
with a sombre light like the burnt feathers of the falcon.
         Across from him a dark-haired, black
clad man who bore on his chest the gilded falcon
of the house Otakar smiled contemptuously at
him.  Ladislav, the eldest living son of Duke
Krisztov Otakar, could not take his eyes off his
hostage.  Jaime had grown accustomed to the stare
in the weeks since his capture in Bozojo.  He had
hardly been out of Ladislav’s presence for more
than a few minutes each day.  One thing was clear
that the Otakar family would keep a very tight
leash on the wolf they’d chained.
         Of his retinue he’d not heard a word
since they’d been parted.  Ostensibly they’d been
returned to his father along with news of
Calladar’s treachery and his capture.  He
suspected that only parts of them had been
returned; enough to establish the truth of the
letter at least.  He hadn’t even known all their
names.  And now men who had sworn to protect him
not only failed in their duty but their bodies
were now most likely feeding dogs, crows, or
fish.  And there wasn’t anything he could do about it.
         His eyes slipped from the many towers to
the snow-covered fields around them.  The road
went around both southern and northern flanks of
the city, but their caravan turned down the
southern fork.  The northern led through the
greater part of the city so apparently Duke
Otakar wasn’t interested in parading him before
the people of Salinon just yet.  The southern
branch passed by the fishing villages that
clustered like barnacles to the city walls.  Once
inside the heavily fortified walls, they would
proceed by a series of locks, ladders, and gates
up the steep incline until they passed into the castle itself.
         The main part of the castle was built
upon the white bluff that had once jutted from
the ground like a tombstone in an empty
field.  Over the years as the first the elves and
then man had come to live here, the western slope
had been smoothed and blended into the
surrounding landscape providing easy access to
the summit.  The northern face had also been
smoothed to some degree, but the southern face,
especially nearest the cliffs, would still be
impassible if not for what they’d built
there.  All this and more Jaime knew of Salinon
because his wife Valada had told it all to him in
their all too brief marriage.  Her face, cloaked
by raven hair, had bloomed with pride when she
described the marvels of her home.  Yet still she
had laughed with delight when she saw Jaime’s
city of Kelewair, so much plainer for only having
been built by men.  Ah, how he still missed her.
         The caleche crossed a slightly arched
bridge spanning the river that flowed westward
from the lake beneath the bluff.  The air
practically bristled with the sound of hardening
ice.  Jaime’s eyes stole out to those white
fields marred by foot and hoof of farmer and
beast.  A sigh escaped his throat and he turned
to his gaoler. “Ladislav.  I will be spending
many years in your father’s castle with no chance
to leave.  Permit me if you will to walk for a few minutes in the open air.”
         Ladislav’s smile grew and a glint of
malice briefly flickered through his blue
eyes.  For a moment Jaime was certain his request
would be met with derision and laughter.  But the
smile faded after a second’s appraisal and he
began to nod. “We will be in my father’s home
soon enough.  There’s nowhere you can run.  Very
well.  A few minutes in the open air.” He knocked
on the panelling behind which sat the coachman. “Driver!  Stop!”
         The caleche drew to a stop as did the
horsemen accompanying them on the bitter winter
day.  Ladislav gestured to the door with a
sweeping arm. “Enjoy your few minutes, Jaime.” He
then leaned back in his seat and crossed his
arms.  He was probably counting and begrudging him every second.
         Jaime pushed open the door and set one
boot upon the smooth stone roadway.  Another
strange gift of the elves; though snow fell upon
the road, the wind always seemed to carry it
away.  Jaime’s wonder at that ended with the
clattering of the chains binding his wrists.  He
was a prisoner, a noble prisoner, but a prisoner nonetheless.
         But beyond the road he saw a rolling
field of snow marred by scattered clusters of
trees and huddled together like cattle protecting
their young.  A light wind brushed past his face,
bringing with it the stinging bite of snow and
ice.  He cared not for it was the last taste of
freedom he would feel for many long years.  All
the soldiers stared at him in their caravan, but
for these few minutes he would pay them no mind.
         Jaime stepped into the snow which came
up to the middle of his shins.  He walked a dozen
paces up the gentle incline before he began to
feel the cold through his tough leather
boots.  Slowly he knelt down in the snow which
crunched beneath him soft but firm.  He wrapped
his fingers about the chair and dragged it
through the snow until he’d drawn a passable
yew.  Once satisfied, he tilted back his head,
spread his arms wide, and truly prayed for the first time in years.
         The tears began freezing on his cheeks,
but that was not what brought him out of his
prayer.  Behind him Ladislav approached and said,
“Your time is up.  If we do not hurry we will
lose all light.”  Jaime cast a quick glance at
the sun and saw that already it began to dip
below the horizon.  He sighed and turned his gaze
back on the yew in the snow.  The crimson light
of dusk made it appear to bleed.
         Jaime stood and brushed the snow from
his woolen leggings. “Then let us waste no more
time.  Take me to your father.”  He turned and
headed back to the waiting caleche.  Behind him
he heard Ladislav kicking snow around.  He
glanced behind him and saw his gaoler destroying
his yew.  Jaime sighed, made the sign of the yew
over his chest and stared at the castle now even
more sombre as dusk faded into auburn
twilight.  It was once his beloved wife’s
home.  Whether he liked it or not, it would be
the same for him for however long the Otakar family wished.
         He closed his eyes as he climbed into
the caleche and sat down.  The chains rattled between his knees.

         The ascent through the various baileys
and locks on Salinon’s southern slopes took the
better part of an hour.  Jaime was kept in chains
the entire time with a pentecount of soldiers
before and behind him.  Ladislav led them through
the twisting maze and despite the chill and the
ice on the steps showed no signs of consideration
for his former cousin.  Jaime wouldn’t give him
the satisfaction of seeing him fall or
complain.  He kept to his feet and fixed his face to keep every wince hidden.
         Once all of the soldiers has ascended to
the final lock overlooking the southern slope and
abutting the castle face, Jaime chanced a look
around.  The lock was surrounded by walls on
three sides with a higher wall on the northern
flank.  From there soldiers could rain arrows or
pitch on invaders and they could do nothing but
die.  Ladislav opened the single unremarkable
door at the far end and revealed a dark ladder
flanked by bright flambeaux.  Jaime glanced at
the starry sky above and felt a slight wave of
nausea.  The stars didn’t look quite right for some reason.
         One of the soldiers behind him shoved
him forward and he nearly toppled to the icy
stonework.  But he caught himself and lowered his
gaze.  One by one the soldiers proceeded him up
the ladder.  The room inside was pleasantly
warm.  The ladder led up at least twenty feet
before passing through a opening far too small
for a fully armoured man to crawl through.  No
wonder the guards only wore their winter gear.
         As the ice and snow still tucked into
the corners of his clothing began to melt, Jaime
climbed the ladder with the same steely demeanour
he’d shown the entire forlorn journey from
Bozojo.  He found himself in a small storage room
with a single oaken door that swung outward.  It
already stood open with Ladislav lingering
beneath the arched transom.  He suspected that
the door was usually barred from the inside and
only with a certain password would the guards open it.
         The guards shucked their winter wear on
racks along one side of the room.  A small gutter
would let the melt drain away to some far off
cistern.  Jaime made note of everything, fixing
each detail in his mind as he watched the
falcon-crested soldiers readjust their livery.
         “Come.  My father is ready to see you,”
Ladislav beckoned and then turned off to the
left.  Jaime and the soldiers followed.  The
passages were tight and drafty and apart from
where flambeaux burned he felt the familiar chill
of the winter outside.  Every door he passed was
closed and he saw no placards to betray their
purpose.  Still, he memorized each turn, each stair, and each door.
         After a few minutes walk he arrived at a
door bearing an imposing falcon crest above the
arch.  Guards flanked the door but they stepped
aside for Ladislav.  Jaime waited while Ladislav
knocked.  A familiar man opened the door.  He was
of medium build with a broad jaw and bald
head.  He bore the black lively of the falcon,
one hand resting on the pommel of a sword.  For a
Steward, Pyotr Szeveny kept far more a martial
appearance than any other Jaime knew.
         Pyotr smiled with something approaching
true delight.  His blue eyes danced in the
vermillion light of the flambeaux. “Ah, your
graces.  His grace, Duke Krisztov Otakar the XII will see you now.”
         Ladislav gestured for Jaime to go first
and so he did.  He nodded to Pyotr whose smile
turned toa frown when he saw the manacles at his
hand.  But the bald Steward ground his teeth and said nothing.
         The room was apparently Duke Otakar’s
private study.  On either end crackled hearth
fires over which hung the head of wolf and
bear.  Between them was a set of shelves
haphazardly stacked with scrolls and tomes.  The
stone floor was completely covered in carpets of
an intricate weave that would leave the
Clothworker’s Guild in Kelewair green with
envy.  Seated in an ornate alabaster chair to one
side of the far hearth was the Duke.
         Krisztov was dressed in royal purple
with the black falcon across his chest
embroidered with gold.  He was a man of swarthy
complexion and his belly distended with the gut
of a noble  who no longer did his own
hunting.  Meaty hands surrounded a goblet, and on
every other finger a sparkled a ring set with
rubies.  A long mustache graced his wide upper
lip, and dark eyes peered out from his heavy
brow.  A crowd of gold fashioned like a wreath of
leaves obscured his balding head.  What remained
of his black hair cascaded like a woman’s shawl
down over his shoulders and back.
         He set the goblet on one knee and leaned
forward in his chair.  His lips scowled far more
than did his Steward. “Ladislav!  Why is my guest
manacled?  Is this how we treat visiting nobility?”
         Ladislav tensed, his dark eyes narrowing
as he looked between the Steward and his father.
“No, it is not, father. Guards, unshackle his
grace.”  Despite his obvious distaste for Jaime,
he managed the command without any of his wounded pride showing.
         The guard captain came around and undid
the shackles.  Jaime rubbed his wrists where
they’d chaffed then nodded to Krisztof but did
not thank him. “Your grace.  It has been some
time since I last had the pleasure of your company.”
         Krisztof smiled again. “Come, Jaime!  My
house has felt empty since your last visit.  I
mean to enjoy your company while you are with us
and for however long you are with us.  Please,
sit and have something to drink.”
         Jaime stepped past Ladislav and Pyotr to
take the other chair next to the fire.  The bald
man poured him a goblet of something red from a
carafe sitting near to the Duke.  Krisztof saw
his uncertain look and laughed. “Oh fear not,
Jaime.  I would not go to such lengths to bring
you here only to poison you as some have said my
niece Valada was.  You are a guest and will be
treated as such.  Pyotr, tell him the vintage he is about to sample.”
         Pyotr offered him the goblet and
smiled.  Jaime could well remember the fondness
the Steward of the Otakar house had for him when
he’d come for the hand of Valada.  The smile
hadn’t changed which left him feeling
uneasy.  The voice was the same too. “A tawny port of Fronham, 694 CR.”
         “A very good vintage then,” Jaime agreed.  The port was sweet and dry.
         Krisztof grinned broadly and then nodded
to his son. “Ladislav, see to Jaime’s quarters
and make sure that all is ready for his sojourn here in our beloved city.”
         Ladislav managed a twisted smile as he
bowed. “Gladly, father.” He glanced once at Jaime
and then left.  The door closed heavily in his wake.
         Krisztof leaned back in his cushioned
chair and regarded Jaime with interest. “You’ll
forgive my son, he still thinks your family is responsible for Valada’s death.”
         “And you don’t?” Jaime ventured.
         “I don’t believe you are,” he replied
with an even regard.  His eyes stayed fixed on
Jaime while Pyotr kept just within sight.  His
hand rested on the pommel of his sword and Jaime
had no doubt, despite Pyotr’s apparent fondness
for him, should Jaime make any move to attack the
Duke, that sword would strike him down without pity or regret.
         “And why not?  I was her husband for only a few weeks.”
         Krisztof sipped at his wine and smiled.
“My wife, who has been waiting for me on the
other side for twelve years now, was chosen for
me to cement relationships with one of the noble
houses in Marigund. I never met her until our
wedding day.  Yet, it was not until her last
years when her illness came that I loved her so
strongly as I saw that you loved my niece.  For a
Verdane, your eyes have some honesty.  And when
they saw my niece, I saw your love.  No, you
didn’t kill Valada.  Your father or one of his
subjects?  Perhaps.  It certainly destroyed any
hopes we had of allying against Metamor or Sathmore.”
         Krisztof took another drink and then set
his goblet aside.  Pyort moved forward to refill
it but the Duke shook his head. “Which brings us
to the present.  As a guest, it would be rude of
me to lie to you about the reasons you are here.”
         Jaime didn’t feel like waiting for his
unwilling host to come to the point. “I am your
hostage to guarantee my father doesn’t try to reclaim Bozojo.”
         “Aye.  That you are.  Your quarters are
in the donjon across my courtyard.  Forgive the
bars on the door but it cannot be helped.  You
will have every amenity you require.  Clothes,
food, wine, quilts, books, writing materials,
even a musical instrument should you desire
it.  I will hold back nothing out of respect for
the love my Valada had for you.  You will be
restricted to only the donjon, the courtyard, and
what few chambers my guards bring you too when I
wish your company.  I will send for a Follower
priest to attend the needs of your faith.  But
you will be permitted no other visitors.  And I
hardly need tell you that any letter you write or
receive will be read first by me.”
         “No, you don’t,” Jaime replied.  He
wondered about the priest.  Perhaps he could slip
secret messages out through him.  He’d have to
sound him out first. “How long should I expect to
stay here as your hostage?” Though Krisztof may
call him guest, he would never use that word for himself.
         “You are here to keep your father out of
Bozojo.  Until I know it is irretrievably mine, you will stay.”
         “You may never be so certain.”
         “Then my heir will have your body
brought back to whoever sits on your father’s
seat after you die in your tower.” A frown
crossed his face and he shook his head. “I mean
you no ill will, Jaime.  But I must control those
trade routes.  I will do everything I can to make
your stay here as comfortable for a scion of
noble blood as possible.  But aye, you are my
hostage and you will come at my beck and
call.  You are my wolf now and you will be domesticated until I release you.”
         Jaime finished the wine and turned his
goblet over. “My father may grant you Bozojo, but
do not think he will just wait for you to let me go.”
         “Oh he will.” Krisztof reached into his
tunic and pulled out a bit of parchment.  Jaime
could see his father’s wolf-head sigil in the
broken wax. “He has written to say that he agrees
to my terms.  You will be pleased to learn that
the civil war in his lands has come to an end.  I
think he should hear some good news as
well.  Pyotr will take you to your new
quarters.  There you will find quill and
parchment as promised.  Write to your father that
you have arrived safely and have been well
treated — which you have been — and that you wish
to put his fears for your safety to rest.  Tell
him all I have promised you and that you are
content to wait for the time when you will see each other again.”
         Jaime rose from his seat to follow
Pyotr. “Very well, your grace, I will do as you
ask.  But my signet ring was taken from me in
Bozojo.  How will my father know it is me?”
         “He knows your handwriting.  If you
must, tell him some memory of your youth that only he would know.”
         “And to seal the letter?”
         Krisztof waved a thick hand. “You
shouldn’t worry about that.  As the letter comes
from my castle, my seal shall be upon it.” The
opulent Duke rose from his seat with a newly
minted frown across his meaty lips. “It is very
late tonight.  I have already supped, but I will
have food from my table sent up for you.   Good night, Jaime Verdane.”
         He felt Pyotr’s bidding stare on his
back but paused long enough to offer a curt bow
to the Duke. “And good night to you, your
grace.”  No matter how gracious his host, from
henceforth, Jaime intended to be a most
disagreeable guest.  The very thought of it
sustained what smile he had all the way up the
tower steps to his bejewelled prison.

----------

         On the shortest day of the year, with
twilight already settling over the Valley, Misha
Brightleaf and Sir Erick Saulius rode together
along the northbound road from the Keep toward
the forest village of Glen Avery.  They would
have left the Keep sooner but it had taken most
of the day for the fox to disentangle himself
from his many responsibilities as Commander of
the Long Scouts.  Once they had received the good
news from Copernicus, both fox and rat agreed
they would deliver it personally.  Each had a
close friendship at stake, and neither wanted to
let the other bring the news alone.
         Not that there was any animosity between
them.  But both had different visions for their
friend’s future and weren’t afraid to say so.
         “He’s a Long Scout, Erick,” Misha said
for the third time that evening.  They both rode
horseback to save time.  With the rat on a pony
and the fox a little uncomfortable in the saddle
they easily kept pace with one another. “It’s
what he’s best at and you know it.”
         The knight rat was dressed in one of his
tabards bearing the heraldry he’d chosen for
himself, a rat clutching a bundle of Flatlander
grass, overtop his winter tunic and breeches.  A
cap of wool covered his head, ears and all. “‘Tis
true that my squire hath excelled under thy
tutelage.  He hath a keen eye, ear, and nose for
the forest.  But I hath seen him a saddle.  Hast
thou seen his eyes when he takes to the list?  He
hath a fire kindled in his heart for knighthood.”
         Misha remembered well seeing Matthias
compete in the annual joust.  Even if he was only
serving as Sir Saulius’s squire, there was no
question he enjoyed the attention.  But that
didn’t change who he was. “And he’ll probably be
in the joust every year, but that doesn’t mean
he’s going to leave the Long Scouts.  We need him there.”
         “The Lady Kimberly and his children need
him here.  He can be at their side better training as my squire.”
         “I have every intent to keep him close
to home once he returns,” Misha replied, feeling
the sting of the unsaid accusation.  Ever since
being made a Long Scout a little over a year ago,
Charles had spent far more time away from
Kimberly than with her.  No matter how Charles
protested, the fox had every intention of evening
that out. “But he can do more good for Metamor as
an already trained Long Scout than as a yet to be
trained knight.  I know you know this, Erick.”
         Saulius lowered his eyes to the road
ahead.  Being nocturnal animals, both could see
well enough in the dark.  Their steeds could not,
and so both carried lanterns to guide them down
the northern road.  Wagons had passed back and
forth breaking up most of the snow in the roadway
so it was easy to follow.  But with the moon
almost new, there wasn’t enough light to make the
snow glimmer as it would on nights with full
moon.  And with the forest now surrounding them, not even the stars aided them.
         “I hath always known he wouldst make a
mighty knight,” Saulius said in a quieter
voice.  He sighed and his whiskers drooped.
         “Aye,” Misha agreed somewhat
reluctantly.  He could sense the rodent’s
introspection and knew now was not the time for
more confrontation. “With enough training he
would at that.  But let’s not get ahead of ourselves.  They aren’t home yet.”
         “But we dost bring good news,” Saulius
said with somewhat brighter tone. “And if my eyes
dost not mistake me, we hath reached the Glen.”
         Misha glanced up into the trees for the
scouts he knew would be there.  But he couldn’t
see anything even with his excellent night
eyes.  Still, as he studied the road and the
trees he felt certain that the knight was
correct.  The trees towered over them, as wide as
a wagon and flanked by snow drifts so large that
they looked like bright dressing gowns for a
wedding.  They were clearly nearing the Glen if
not there already.  Now they just had to find the turn into the clearing.
         Another minute of riding — his thighs
and rear were going to be sore for a week after
this, he should have just changed into a foxtaur
and travelled that way — and they could see a
series of lamps through the trees.  After making
their way past the next set of colossal trunks,
they spied the main clearing of the glen,
surrounded on all sides by the lighted
lamps.  Both fox and rat turned their steeds down
the snow swept avenue into the wide clearing.  It
had been cleared of snow as well, but a fresh
dusting blanketed the hard ground.  Paw prints,
hoof prints, and wheel tracks cris-crossed the
clearing.  Toward the sides where the snow still
lingered several snow men had been built by the
Glen’s children.  Most of them had snouts, ears and tails.
         “‘Tis surprising that none hath come to
greet us,” Saulius noted with a faint note of
disappointment.  The rat lifted his shout,
whiskers and ears alert, and sniffed the air.
“E’en my nose dost not tell me who be on duty.”
         “Don’t forget, it has been a year since
Nasoj attacked.  Everybody is on alert.  I just
returned from a patrol north of the Giant’s Dike
last night.  Almost all of the Long Scouts are still on patrol.”
         Saulius laughed, a bright chittering
laugh. “I wast on patrol too not long
before.  Methinks it has more to do with the
Ducal groom than with the dastard grim.”
         Misha laughed at the bit of wit at
Nasoj’s expense.  Things had been so quiet from
Death Mountain in the last year the Long Scout
was beginning to believe that they may one day be
completely free of fear.  How he hoped it would
be in their lifetimes!  He glanced through the
pleasant light of the clearing and spotted the
Matthias home nestled in the twisted roots of a
massive redwood. “Well, we’re here now.  What are
we going to do with the horses?”
         “I’ll take them,” a gruff voice said
from behind them.  Both fox and rat spun their
heads around to see a broad-shouldered badger
standing with longsword wrapped in a meaty
paw.  His muzzle split into a grin. “I told you I
could sneak up on you, Misha.  You owe me five silver.”
         “Angus!” Misha laughed and swung his leg
off the borrowed horse.  His paws landed in the
thin layer of snow with a satisfying crunch.
“It’s good to see you again.  How long have you been following us?”
         The badger shrugged his shoulders and
clasped paws with the fox. “I’ve been shadowing
you for a couple minutes.  Not long.” He looked
the fox up and down and then over at the rat.
“Always good to see you, Misha.  And you as well,
Sir Saulius.  What brings you to Glen Avery?”
         “News of our friend, Charles,” the rat
replied as he dismounted with far more grace than
the vulpine.  “We hath come to deliver it to his wife and children.”
         Angus nodded and sheathed his sword. “I pray that it is good news?”
         “He’s alive,” Misha replied. “At least
he was alive two months ago.  A messenger from
some city in Pyralis arrived a day or so ago with the news.”
         “Well, you both are welcome guests
then,” Angus said as he breathed a sigh of
relief. “I’ll take your steeds to the Inn and
I’ll tell Jurmas to ready rooms for you
both.  You are staying the night aren’t you?”
         “‘Twould be an honour to spend a night
in your distinguished Glen,” Saulius said with a
theatrical flourish.  Sometimes the fox swore
there was more jongleur to him than
gentleman.  But that was one way in which
knight’s fought; with their very presence.  And
there was no question that this diminutive rat was one of the best.
         Angus grinned, all his fangs glistening
in the lamplit as his lips drew back from them.
“Well, I won’t keep you any longer then.  When
you’re ready just come to the Inn.  Misha, I’ll
get those silvers from you later.”
         The fox shook his head, laughed, and
waved as the badger took the reins to both
animals and led them toward the western edge of
the village where the Inn nestled against a rocky
slope.  Together, rat and fox walked toward the
familiar Matthias home within the base of the towering pine.
         They could see warm light radiating
through the circular windows set into the tree
trunk on either side of the door nestled between
two roots which spread out a good twenty
feet.  The sound of several voices, most of them
the high-pitched timbre of a rodent, carried
through the door as did the scent of several
animals and something cooking.  Saulius stood on
the tips of his toes and gently rapped the back
of his knuckled against the door.  Misha stood
right behind him, being careful not to step on the rat’s long, scaly tail.
         To their pleasant surprise, a familiar
grey-furred ferret met them at the door.  Garigan
was dressed in a thick woolen tunic with a green
vest on top all shoved into a pair of trousers
that looked freshly sewn.  He blinked only once
at the two of them and then smiled. “Sir
Saulius!  Misha Brightleaf!  You two are very
welcome in this home!  Come in!  Come in!  Lady Kimberly, look who’s appeared.”
         Garigan stepped back from the doorway
and turned his sinuous body almost all the way
around to look at the lady rat who perched on a
tall stool in order to hang sprigs of some local
leaf off the lintel between the main room and the
kitchen.  Helping steady her was the opossum
Baerle.  Sitting cross-legged next to a warmly
crackling hearth with his long striped tail
curled behind his head and a quartet of little
rats clustered about his legs with eager faces
was the skunk Murikeer.  A familiar white-furred
skunk watched the mage turned storyteller from
one of the couches.  Dancing merrily in the
centre of the ceiling was a bright witchlight
casting a silvery glow on everyone.
         Kimberly smiled as the rat and fox and
waved with one paw, her long tail lashing back
and forth and nearly smacking Baerle’s snout.
“Misha!  Erick!  Please come in and warm
yourselves!  I’m almost finished putting this
up.” She stretched with all her might and then
leaned back, the sprig in place. “There!”
         Baerle helped her down and the two
smiled.  Kimberly then noted her four children
still enraptured by Murikeer who was whispering
to them some story all the while his one good eye
appraised the two new guests.  He smiled to them
both and kept on whispering.  But the mistress of
the house would not tolerate rudeness in her children.
         She put her paws on her hips and
snapped,
“Charles!  Bernadette!  Erick!  Baerle!  Where
are your manners!  We have guests!”
         The four rats jumped up and spun,
scampering on all fours while trying to run just
on their hind paws.  They got within four feet of
the doorway, stopped, and stood. “Good evening
and welcome!” they said in unison as if they’d
been practising.  Their eyes stole to their
mother, whiskers and tails trembling with childish delight.
         “Very good,” Kimberly said with a nod of
her head.  Garigan and Murikeer both stifled laughs.
         All four rats immediately jumped and
climbed up both Misha and Erick’s legs shouting
their joy at seeing them. “Unca Saulius!  Unca
Misha!” “Come listen to Unca Muri’s story!” “You bring me anyfing?”
         Sir Saulius scooped Bernadette and
little Erick into his arms and hugged them both
close. “Ah, thou art such sweet delights!  Come
hither and let us close the door.  ‘Tis warm inside and here we shall stay.”
         Misha scooped little Charles and Baerle
into his arms.  Little Baerle reached up one paw
and tugged hard on his wounded ear.  The fox
yelped in surprise all the way to the couch where
he was able to set them both down and free his
wounded ear.  That little rat had quite a grip!
         “We didn’t expect to see either of you
until after the new year,” Kimberly admitted as
she pushed the stepping stool beneath a writing
desk that did not look to have seen much use of
late. “I can have some water steeping in a
moment.  Would you care for some tea?”
         Misha smiled broadly as he settled onto
the couch. “I’d love some, thank you.”
         The white skunk rose with fluid grace
and churred, “I’ll get that for you, milady.”
         Kimberly’s whiskers bristled in
exasperation but she let the skunk disappear into
the kitchen to fetch a kettle for tea.  She
followed after her a moment and then said,
“Kozaithy!  Thank you, but you don’t need to do
that!”  The rat disappeared around the corner to
press her right to serve her guests.
         This was the first time Misha or Saulius
had been here since Ladero’s funeral.  Both of
them felt an immense relief at the sounds and
scents of delight pervading the Matthias
home.  Misha even felt his bones begin to
relax.  That was until little Baerle, covered in
tan fur like her mother, climbed up the fox’s
shoulder and resumed tugging his ear in every
possible direction.  Garigan settled in next to
him and took the little girl in his lap and let
her pull on his fingers.  He gave Misha an amused
grin. “Just wait until you and Caroline have children.”
         Misha gave a short yipping laugh and
shook his head. “Some day.  Some day.  Are we
interrupting anything?”  He gestured at the sprig
and several other Yule-themed decorations he saw
on the mantle and about the room.  While not
nearly as garish as the Long House was, it still
gave this home which had seen too much sadness a look of joy.
         Murikeer settled into the opposite couch
where the skunk with white fur had sat a moment
ago.  Little Baerle’s large eyes watched his long
tail curl over the back of the couch and then
flick the tip from side to side.  Muri seemed to
take no notice to her attention and kept his gaze
on the fox and rat from Metamor. “Garigan and I
were helping them set out their decorations.  You
Patildor have some interesting traditions.  So
what brings you all the way from Metamor?  Isn’t
the Duke’s wedding in a few days?”
         “Aye,” Saulius said with a quick nod of
his head.  He still carried the other two rats in
his arms.  They pawed at his chest and squeaked
questions at him that he answered with a couple
words before looking back at the skunk. “‘Tis
good news we bring of he who is beloved in this home.”
         Baerle’s scalloped ears perked. “News of Charles?”
         “Yes,” Misha replied. “We have some news.”
         Kimberly rushed in from the kitchen with
a kettle of water in her paws.  The water sloshed
over the rim in her eagerness to reach their
sides. “Oh do tell me!  What have you heard?”
         The white-furred skunk Kozaithy
triumphantly took the kettle from the pleading
rat’s paws and carefully set it one a spit over
the flame.  Her ears folded back, obviously eager to hear the news too.
         Misha covered Kimberly’s paws with one
of his own and smiled. “He is alive.  A noble lad
from a city in Pyralis arrived yesterday with
news of Charles and the rest.  About two months
ago they passed through Breckaris on their way to Marzac.”
         Kimberly breathed a sigh of relief and
made the sign of the yew. “At least he is all
right.” She glanced at the four little rats and
smiled at them. “Did you hear that?  Your Father
is still on his quest.  He’s far to the south
now.  But he’ll be coming back soon.”
         “Where’s Dad!” little Charles cried with
wide eyes.  He sat on his haunches with tail
curled around his legs.  He rubbed his paws one
over the other. “I wanna see Dad!”
         Kimberly leaned over and licked his
triangular head between the ears in the best
approximation she could make to a kiss. “You will.  Patience.”
         “Kayla is well too?” Murikeer asked. “And the others?”
         Saulius nodded. “All of them be
well.  Not a one has taken ill or harm on their
journey.  Kayla, Jessica, James, Lindsey,
Habakkuk, and Charles art all well. And in good
spirits as they dost undertake the last part of their quest.”
         Kimberly’s eyes brimmed with tears and
she kissed both rat and fox on their foreheads
too. “Oh thank you both!” She brushed the tears
from her eyes even as Baerle the opossum brought
a handkerchief to help clean her face fur. “I’ve
waited so long to hear such news.” She wrapped
both Misha and Saulius in firm hugs then managed
to settle herself back on the couch next to
Baerle and Murikeer.  Kozaithy smiled at them
from the hearth where she kept watch over the steeping pot.
         “We’re going to return to Metamor
tomorrow morning,” Misha said as he fended off
another set of little paws trying to tug his ear.
“You and your family have been invited to Duke
Thomas’s wedding.  I’ll arrange for a carriage in
the morning for you.  We have a place you can
stay for a few days while at Metamor.” He thought
of the apartment that Kyia had built for the
Matthias family in the Long House.  How he wished
he could convince her to stay there for good, but
the rat loved her home in the woods too much to
leave it.  Perhaps after Charles returned he could coax them back to the Keep.
         “And whilst thee stays there,” Saulius
picked up the thread with a smiling twitch in his
whiskers, “thou canst speak to the lad himself and here it from his own lips.”
         Kimberly blinked in confusion. “Which lad?”
         “Why, Kurt Schanalein.  The noble lad who met Charles.”
         Kimberly’s face flushed and her ears
drew back again. “Oh!  Oh aye, I would like to
meet him!  But will we have to leave tomorrow morning?”
         “With as many visitors arriving at
Metamor, you’ll want to make haste.  It will
probably take the carriage a few hours to get
past the gates, and that’s with my pass!  Even if
we leave by dawn tomorrow, it may be night by the
time we have you and your family situated.”
         Kimberly’s whiskers drooped thoughtfully
while Kozaithy began pouring tea for
everyone.  She handed the first pair of cups to
Misha and Saulius and then to Kimberly and the
others.  Lastly she poured one for herself and
set the pot on top of the hearth where it could
safely cool.  She settled down next to Murikeer,
her tail lazily brushing across his.
         Kimberly lapped up a tongue-full of tea
and then nodded. “All right.  If you help out
tonight, we can have everything ready for when we get back.”
         “Ready for what?”
         “Yahshua’s Birth!” Kimberly exclaimed
brightly. “You didn’t think I’d celebrate it anywhere but my home did you?”
         Misha and Saulius shook their heads and
enjoyed their tea.  The others laughed and began
pestering them with questions about their friends journeying in strange lands.

----------

         The sultry air inside Dazheen’s wagon
made Nemgas’s whole body sweat.  From every pore
salty tears drained.  The young girl Bryone who
tended the elderly seer was also sweating.  She
wiped her brow with the hem of her skirt and
slicked back her dark hair as Nemgas entered
bearing Chamag’s battered body on his left shoulder.
         “Nemgas!” There was a look of stunned surprise on her face.
         “Didst thee not hear of our return?”
         “Aye,” she replied, and then her eyes
and face lowered into her more familiar
mouse-like posture. “But thou art changed.”
         Nemgas frowned and pulled his right
stump closer to his side. “‘Tis of no account for
now.  Dazheen must see Chamag.”
         Bryone nodded and led him through the
curtain into the even hotter central
room.  Seated behind the small table which Nemgas
remembered always having an array of cards spread
across its top was Dazheen.  Wrapped about her
head was a colourful handkerchief that obscured
her eyes.  Her gnarled hands lay on the table
like crow’s talons but her cards were
conspicuously absent.  She turned her head at his
entrance and her thin, cracked lips broke into a
gap-toothed smile.  She alone of all of them was not sweating.
         “Welcome home, Nemgas.  What hast
happened to Chamag?” Her voice carried a
grandmotherly warmth that made him forget the head of the room for a moment.
         Bryone pulled a long table from out of
the top of the cabinets opposite Dazheen.  Nemgas
eased Chamag’s body down onto the wooden
table.  The wood groaned from his weight but
held.  Chamag lay on his back with one arm pinned
beneath him an his head tilted so that his mouth hung agape.
         Nemgas straightened Chamag’s arms and
then sighed. “A poison of undeath fouled his
blood, Dazheen.  It hath already smote Berkon and
Kaspel.  He didst run toward Cenziga and when he
passed into the fog, the poison wast ripped from
his body.  I fear for his life and so brought him to thee.”
         Dazheen shifted her lips to show that
she understood.  With great deliberation, Dazheen
forced herself to stand and totter to the long
table.  Bryone rushed to her side and held her
right arm to steady her.  The seer extended her
left hand over Chamag’s body, her curled fingers
flexing up and down through the air.
         Nemgas wiped sweat from his brow and
kept a wary eye on his friend’s body.  He well
remembered the many times they’d bled
Berkon.  Each time they thought they’d rid him of
the black blood, but each time it came
back.  Would it be so too for Chamag?  The
jewelled blade touched by Cenziga had destroyed
Berkon in his undeath so he had some hope.  But
as he watched the faint smile on Dazheen’s lips
turn to a sullen frown his hope grew ever more tenuous.
         She lowered the hand and let it rest
upon the man’s chest.  It rose and fell with
Chamag’s slow breaths and Dazheen appeared to
match her breathing to it.  Both Nemgas and
Bryone had to dry their foreheads again before
the seer finally spoke. “The poison hath left
him.  I feel no evil in his body.  Yet he wilt
need rest to recover.  Whate’er tried to claim him ate away his strength.”
         “I wilt take him to his wagon that he
might sleep.” Though he didn’t say it, Nemgas
meant to take Chamag back to the Bachelor’s wagon
that they had once shared so long ago.  Perhaps
being in a wagon full of joyful memories would help him recover faster.
         “Nae,” Dazheen said.  She pressed her
arm into Chamag’s chest as if holding him down.
“Not yet.  I wilt prepare draughts for him that
will help.  And I wish to speak to thee, Nemgas.”
         “What about?”
         “Thy journey.  I wish thee to tell me
all that thou didst see.  Especially of the
enemy.  I must know all I can ere...” She turned
away from him and leaned on Bryone for support.
“Then thou wilt take Chamag to his wagon and
return to me.  I wilt need thy help for what wilt come then.”
         “What art that?”
         The answer was several long moments in
coming.  Her voice was muted and melancholy. “Thou wilt take me to Cenziga.”

         Dusk fell quickly and the once sombre
sky became a thing bright with thousands of stars
but otherwise bleak with an icy emptiness that
made the Magyars huddle ever closer to their
fires.  They pulled their cloaks tight about
their necks and warmed their hands as their
voices gave forth both delight and mist.  Despite
the joy all of them felt at being reunited after
six long months apart, the jay was muted not by
the cold but by the fog-shrouded mountain that watched over them.
         Only one of them kept apart from the
fires.  Grastalko sat a short distance away with
his bucket of snow between his knees.  The pain
in the burnt stump at the end of his left arm
came in waves but never quite receded.   The only
thing that brought him relief was his snow, and
if he neared the fires it would melt even faster
than it already was.  Grastalko sighed as he
could feel a little bit of ice water at the bottom.
         “What art thee doing over here?” a
familiar voice asked.  The young Magyar turned
his head and smiled.  The little thief Gamran,
the very first to befriend him, was making his
way past the nearest of the fires toward him.  He
had on the little cloth hat that Thelia had made
him only a day before he’d had to leave the
wagons as well as his thick coat and
breeches.  He juggled a pair of balls back and
forth.  With a flick of his wrist he tossed one of the balls at him.
         Grastalko snatched it out of the air
with his good hand and then sent it back.  Gamran
moved his hands quickly enough in the dim light
that Grastalko didn’t see him catch it.  But he
did have one more ball than before.
         “I hath to keep my hand in snow or it
pains me,” Grastalko explained by nodding his
chin to the bucket. “If I sit too close to the fire ‘twill all melt.”
         Gamran frowned a little which gave his
face a tragic cast in the darkness. “What thou
didst tell me of they hand... I wish there were aught I could do!”
         “There is naught anyone can do.  Dazheen
hath done all she can for me.  The draughts she
gives take away the pain for a time, and they
dost help me sleep, but as we hath neared that,”
he nodded toward the tower of fog, “the pain hath grown worse.”
         Gamran caught his balls and sat next to
him on the barren ground.  The dirt was hard but
not frozen. “Soon we shalt leave and the pain
wilt go too.  I doubt thou wilt e’er see this
place again.  And now thou wilt be able to see
all the Steppe and visit all the cities and
perform for them.  Think of all that thou wilt
see in the weeks and months ahead.  Thou hast
seen many great things already on thy journey.  Things e’en I hath ne’er seen!”
         “Aye, ‘tis true,” Grastalko admitted,
but not with much joy. “But now all I shalt e’er see again is the Steppe.”
         Gamran shrugged his shoulders and
glanced past him.  Grastalko turned and saw
Pelgan walking over to them.  His smile was thin
but sure.  Pelgan tossed his black brain over one
shoulder and then began twirling one of his
knives in his hand. “The Steppe ‘tis more than many shall e’er see.”
         Grastalko shrugged and let his eyes sink
into the bucket.  He’d have to refill it ere the hour was out.
         “Art thou still unhappy?” Pelgan asked after several moments of quiet.
         “Aye,” he admitted. “Not for what I once
wast.  ‘Tis gone I know and e’en shouldst I wish
it back, I could ne’er have it.”
         “Dost thou wish it back?” Gamran asked
as he leaned forward to keep their shoulders even.
         “Nae,” Grastalko replied with a long
sigh.  It had been hard to admit to himself at
first, but the life of a knight had always been a
choice forced upon him.  He’d had an opportunity
to choose between being a knight and a Magyar and
he’d chosen the latter.  Like it or not he would
always and ever more be a Magyar. “‘Tis not
that.  Hanaman hath taken me in to help me find
my place, but I dost not know if I e’er
will.  What canst I do with but one hand?”
         Pelgan caught his knife by the blade
between two fingers and held it steady. “Nemgas
hath ne’er suffered from lack of an arm.”
         Grastalko forced the words through his teeth, “His dost not pain him!”
         “Oh aye,” Gamran said with a faint
laugh. “But thy pain will leave when we dost
leave this place.  Thou art limber,
Grastalko.  E’en with only one hand thou wilt
make a fine tumbler.  Together we couldst master
new tricks of juggling.  Whate’er thou canst do
wilt only amaze others the more because thou hast
but one arm.  Thou art ne’er alone,
Grastalko.  And now thy friends hath returned to
thee!  Be of good cheer, I beseech thee!”
         Grastalko felt a little ashamed at his
sudden anger.  He took a deep breath and did his
best to ignore the throbbing pain aching his left
arm.  With some effort he managed a faint smile
and nodded to them both. “Thou art my
friends.  Forgive me for being so poor in spirit
at thy return.  ‘Tis the pain.  I hath no room to think!”
         Both nodded but it was the little thief
who spoke. “Fear not.  All hath been forgiven
e’en before thee asked!” An infectious grin
spread across his face and Grastalko found his
heart lifting with every passing moment.  How did
the presence of these two who he once would have
seen as rogues in need of justice bring him a
sense of companionship beyond what he’d known as
a squire?  He’d only ever spent a month in their
presence, and most of that time had been as a prisoner!
         But when his smile grew with that of his
friend’s, those questions disappeared and he
began to feel a sense of hope again.  He believed
them when they assured him that he would find a
place amongst the Magyar and he looked forward to
their tumbling.  But the thought of aiding Gamran
on a thieving still left him with mixed
feelings.  Though he knew stealing to be wrong,
somehow he knew having Gamran lead him on that
mischievous endeavour would make it seem a
pleasant diversion.  And that only made him more unsure of himself!
         But that these were his friends he knew
and the smile stayed on his face.
         He was about to saying something more
when Pelgan’s eyes fixed on something behind
them.  Grastalko shifted on his rear and saw the
one-armed Nemgas approaching.  Buckled to his
belt was the silver and black blade
Caur-Merripen.  An inscrutable look was fixed on
his face just as his eyes fixed upon
Grastalko.  The newest of the Magyars swallowed
heavily and pushed his left arm further into the bucket of half-melted snow.
         “Grastalko,” Nemgas said in a soft
voice, “Dazheen needeth thee to come with us.”
         “Where art we to go?” he asked, though
in his heart he knew the answer.  He remembered
what the seer had told him after they’d left the Åelfwood.
         “To Cenziga. She hath said that thou art
needed as art I.” His gaze swept past Grastalko
to take in the other Magyars sitting
nearby.  Both Gamran and Pelgan had shifted
closer to their friend as if that could spare him
the coming ordeal.  The others flinched at the
name of the mountain under whose shadow they camped.
         Hanaman rose and stepped through the
ring of Magyars around the fire and held up one
hand.  His eyes narrowed with a look of concern
that Grastalko knew was meant for him. “Art thee
sure ‘tis wise to go there again, Nemgas?”
         The one-armed Magyar shrugged and then
brushed the white lock of hair from his face.
“Whether wise or no, ‘tis not my choice.  Dazheen
hath foreseen this, and so we must.”
         The elder Magyar’s chiselled brow
tightened as it always did once he’d made up his
mind. “Then ja!  Aid Dazheen in whate’er she ask thee.”
         Grastalko stood, holding his bucket
tight in his good hand.  He looked up at Hanaman
but knew he could make no appeal.  Hanaman’s lips
pressed tight, but he put one hand on the young
Magyar’s shoulder and squeeze with what little
affection he could show. “I wilt aid Dazheen,” he
said with as much courage as he could muster.  He
was rewarded by another firm squeeze from Hanaman’s powerful hand.
         “Ja!  I wilt see then when thou dost
return.” Hanaman let go and gestured for him to follow Nemgas.
         Grastalko nodded, smiled once to Gamran
and Pelgan who each gave him reassuring pats on
the shoulder, and then followed Nemgas who walked
back toward the wagons.  The bucket bounced off
Grastalko’s middle as he walked, but he’d long
grown used to it.  As they walked, Nemgas’s head
turned to where the Assingh attempted to graze
from the parched earth.  Kisaiya stood in their
midst, her eyes meeting his for several long
moments.  Grastalko licked his lips and lowered his eyes.
         The wagon they reached was, to
Grastalko’s surprise, the Bachelor’s
wagon.  Nemgas vaulted up to the seat and opened
the door. His voice was gentle. “Dazheen.  We art ready.”
         “Help me down,” the seer’s warm words
echoed from within.  Grastalko waited by the
wheel while Nemgas disappeared in the doorway.  A
moment later he emerged with Dazheen’s brittle
form cradled in his left arm with his stump
supporting her legs.  Behind them with head bowed
walked Bryone.  Grastlako’s heart tightened at
the sight of her withdrawn face and quiet
eyes.  They flicked up to meet his gaze, then just as quickly darted away.
         Nemgas carried Dazheen until he’d left
the wagon, then gingerly set her back on her
feet.  Her usual colourful garb was supplemented
by a long shawl draped across her neck and
shoulders.  Talismans of bone, feather, fang,
cloth, reed, and stone hung the shawl and bounced
off her back.  Grastalko stared at one fashioned
from twined reeds that twisted in every
direction.  He tried to follow the path through
the reeds but lost his place after only three turns.
         Dazheen turned a cowled face toward him
despite that he’d not made a sound since
arriving. “Grastalko, Bryone, lend me thy
shoulders.” He nodded and stood at her left so
she could rest her arm on his right
shoulder.  Bryone took her place opposite him and
wrapped her left arm about Dazheen’s
middle.  Together they walked toward the pillar
of fog with Nemgas at their heels.
         Grastalko wedged the bucket beneath his
good arm while keeping Dazheen balanced.  His
moved forward across that barren land only
because they had to.  His heart trembled in his
chest, pounding louder and louder.  Yet Dazheen
at his side seemed unafraid.  He felt no
trembling in her old bones, and as he fingers
gripped his shoulder, they pinched in close and
tight with a strength he hadn’t thought
possible.  Even Bryone seemed resigned to braving the mysterious mountain.
         It wasn’t the stories he’d heard that
made him afraid; his fellow Magyars were
remarkably tight-lipped about this place so he’d
only heard a few, and most of them about how
Nemgas had scaled the peak almost a year
ago.  Grastalko feared the pain.  With each step
he could feel the fire in his left stump
smouldering hotter and hotter.  He grit his teeth
close and shifted the stump about until it was
settled in an unmelted section of snow.  He could
hear the water sloshing at the bottom of the
bucket, and as his eyes glanced down, saw a wisp
of steam curl beneath the wooden rim.
         If the pain grew too intense he’d fall
over paralysed.  But if he fell, Dazheen would
fall too and that would surely kill her.  He bit his lip and kept walking.
         The eyes of the other Magyars were upon
them as they passed beyond the lines of their
fires and onto the empty plain.  The fog rose up
impenetrable and black.  The flames should have
cast wild shadows across its textured surface,
but they saw nothing in the darkness.  But he
could hear something.  A faint thrumming that
beat against the inside of his ears grew with each step as did his pain.
         And the others could hear it
too.  Dazheen’s wrinkles grew taut and her step
wary.  Bryone turned her head this way and that
as if trying to find some way to position her
ears so that she wouldn’t hear it.  Behind them,
Nemgas’s voice was almost soothing. “‘Tis
Cenziga.  Repeat thy name to thyself.  Hold to
thy name no matter what thou dost feel or hear.  ‘Tis the only way to enter.”
         Grastalko nodded and with each throbbing
in his hand muttered under his tongue, “I hight
Grastalko.”  The ground crunched beneath his
boots and each staccato pop of frozen earth
propelled the beat of the mount deeper and deeper
into his mind.  He repeated his name to himself
as many times as he could between each beat,
blinking tears from his eyes as he stared at the
tower of fog.  It was so close now he could feel
it like an army marching around a hill.
         He stifled the cry in his chest.  His
hand felt like it would burst the bucket snow and
all into flame at any second.  Even the tears
streaming down his cheeks burned like a heated
iron rod dragged across his flesh.  Still he
cried his name to his mind and knew the truth of
what the other Magyar had said — he could no
longer remember anything but his name and the
pain.  And he would not be the pain!
         His foot hit a loose stone and he
skipped to stay on his feet.  He bucket tilted
upward and he nearly knocked whatever was resting
on his shoulder over.  Something steadied it, but
the water in his bucket splashed across his legs
and left his left stump exposed to the air.  The
pain doubled so much that he fell to his knees
cradling his arm and beating his head against the
ground.  All he could do as the mountain beat on
him with a hammer was cry, “I hight Grastalko!  I hight Grastalko!”
         Something grabbed him around the
shoulder and dragged him.  A deep cold crawled
over his flesh but did nothing to sate the
infernal agony in his left stump.  And with each
pounding blow of the mountain he felt other words
pushing into his consciousness.  Cenziga.  Slowly
it bubbled through the miasma of his
disintegrating thoughts.  The one thread he had
left that neither pain nor pound had severed was
his name.  Not the name he’d had at his birth,
that was gone like chaff swallowed by fire.  No,
the name of his true self.  Grastalko.
         He was Grastalko.  A single strand of
identity amidst a tempest of fire and forge.  It
was so small and fragile but he would cling to it without fail.
         Cenziga.
         Grastalko.
         CENZIGA!
         Grastalko.
         And then, like a candle being snuffed,
the pounding and the fire in his arm
ceased.  Grastlako blinked and looked up at a
tower of fog curving around them.  The bucket was
gone from his arms, but his stump was dark and as
free of pain as he could ever remember it
being.  He blinked and wiped tears from his
cheeks.  The air was cool but clear, and around
him he saw three others dressed in the same
colourful patchwork garments as did he.
         Because they were Magyars just like
he.  The one armed man was Nemgas who had dragged
him through the fog.  The elderly woman who
crouched wearily was Dazheen.  And the young girl
whose white face and hands trembled as she aided
the seer was Bryone.  He was Grastalko.
         And then his lungs lost their breath as his eyes met Cenziga.
         It was and was not a mountain.  It
towered over them like a mountain and had the
same triangular shape from its base to its
summit.  But its edge seemed more an interruption
to the flat earth of the Steppe.  Replete with
jagged crevices and spikes all across its many
textured surface, it made the crags of the
Vysehrad appear smooth as riverbed stones.  And
he’d never before seen stone that bore the blue
glow of lightning.  From the summit stretched a
solitary spire of black that glistened in the
starlight.  Grastalko narrowed his eyes as the
stars began shifting overhead like a thousand
fireflies dancing on a Summer night.
         “Be wary,” Nemgas said as he helped
Grastalko back to his feet. “It let us in this
far.  When I didst come here before it fought me
all the way to the top.  It may return to strike at any moment.”
         “We shalt be safe.” They all turned to
the seer whose voice seemed to come from the top
of the mountain.  Her hands reached for the cloth
over her face but she couldn’t reach the
knot.  Bryone, still trembling from the passage
through the fog, stepped behind her and managed to tease the knot loose.
         Dazheen’s ruined eyes glanced at the
mountain, and then she eased herself with
Bryone’s help to the ground.  Nemgas and
Grastalko gathered close by as the seer took a
pouch at her side and dumped the contents onto
the ground.  Bryone gasped, and Grastalko
tightened his right hand into a fist.  It was her cards.
         They fell one by one from the pouch, and
then, to their surprise, every single call landed
face up.  Dazheen spread them out with her hand,
and then images on the cards blurred together
like paint in the rain.  Bryone cried in horror
as a man’s face emerged through the
cards.  Dazheen stirred and the man turned to
look back at them and smile.  He had light hair
with high aquiline nose and aristocratic
bearing.  He was dressed in a blue doublet and
they could see that he stood in some dark chamber
with intricate scroll work moulded into the walls.
         His lips moved, and the cards rustling
together became a voice speaking with utmost
contempt. “You’ve arrived.  Good.  Watch and
tremble.  This is your last night alive, Dazheen.”
         Even as Bryone cried in horror and
hugged the woman, Dazheen continued to stir the
cards.  The face turned away from them and toward
a set of stairs.  A pair of shadows descended
those stairs as they all watched beneath the shadow of Cenziga.