[Mkguild] Metamor Keep Preliminary Map and Assumptions

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Tue Jan 8 18:16:36 EST 2008

>So, does this fulfill all the conditions of being possible, fitting
>in with existing stories, providing a more interesting backdrop to
>the fall fair (it's set up as a special case to give everybody a
>"weekend off" to relieve stress), and fixing the water issues (and
>industry issues for the "Metamor Complex" of Metamor/Town/Euper)?

Generally speaking.  I wasn't worried about going into too much
detail because I generally didn't write stories set at Metamor during
this time period. ;-)

>P.S. Population numbers: Assuming 1000 people in the Metamor Complex
>(see above).  Assume 200 in the keep, 400 in Metamor Town, and 400
>in Euper.  I might make Euper a bit bigger due to the slavery labour
>demand :) for the reconstruction.  Note, based on some medieval
>urban population densities of about 60 per acre, that means that the
>Metamor Town is about 7 acres, and Euper is 10 acres or so (larger
>to support the water driven industry).
>
>P.P.S. The 15,000 population suggests about 100 square miles of half
>decent agricultural land in the valley.

I think the 1000 number for Metamor Keep is rather low.  If you think
about it, we've defined a huge number of people living there.  All
told, there are probably about fifty people with a direct connection
to the Long Scouts alone!

I think you have to peg Metamor Keep's population at least at 1,500,
with at most 2,000 pre Winter Assault.

Not that so many are living there at any one time.  There are almost
certainly at least a 100 to 200 soldiers/scouts in the field at any one time.