[Mkguild] Metamor Mapping Project

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Sat Jan 12 06:04:54 EST 2008

>I apologize for the delays, and the silence, but I've been dead to the world
>(fairly literally) with a bad flu/cold the last couple of days.  Thus, I'll
>just group all my responses here...  :)

I hope you are feling better soon!

>Mathias: The link you gave has the Killing Zone as (roughly) 900'x380'.  The
>large black box shows those dimensions.  I've pushed it up to about
>400'x450'.  To make it any larger, I'm going to have to redo much of Metamor
>Town to make the walls make sense.

I posted those pictures as points of discussion, since they were but
recommendations from Kamau who has a hobby with all things
medieval.  Mostly I wanted to make sure that the Killing Zones were
large enough to accomodate everything that has happened within them
already.  I think both Kamau and I were operating under th
eimpression that Metamor itself was much bigger than folks have been saying.

>Or, being a lazy 'corn, I do have to ask, how critical is the 900x380
>dimension?  Is what I have on the map reasonable?

Your current map is much better about that.  I might argue for it
being slightly bigger, but this is probably fine.

>Matthias: I just want to ensure you that I started this NOT to cause
>trouble.  Literally, I just wanted to have an idea what Yvarra saw when she
>looked out the window.  :)  It his proven that this needs to be done, and
>hopefully we can all reach an acceptable compromise.

I know.  It is good to discuss these things.  Honestly, I had no idea
that so much had been put on the wiki which flatly contradicted
existing stories.  As I've said, I can be a bit overzealous when it
comes to Metamor Keep.

>Caravans/Merchants: We have two competing theories.  Since, there is more
>than one merchant, we can have both be true.  Larger caravans, which would
>be slower, or that has more fearful merchants, tends to stay in Euper,
>swallow the loses, so that they can keep their visit as short as possible
>and avoid the curse.  Some larger caravans would go up, of course, it
>depends on how worried they are about said curse.  Most of the travel "up
>the mountain" would be local merchants to get the better deal, or smaller
>wagons, etc. from the caravans just due to time.  Does this work as a
>reasonable compromise?

People are people, and they are going to go where they think it
serves them best.  A lot of merchants only go as far as Euper, which
helps keeps Euper a viable economic entity, while many merchants make
the trip into Metamor itself for the better prices, which also keeps
commerce moving inside the walls.  I don't think we really need to
over-analyze it other than this.

>Euper Waste: Yes, I know that medieval communities just dumped it in the
>river.  Sadly, Metamor has no river so another solution is necessary.  :)
>Does anybody know how some of the crusader fortresses in the holy land did
>it?  As I recall, a lot of them weren't near bodies of water.

Metamor has a river on the western edge of the ridge.  It's on the
valley map Okane made.  I know for a fact that this is the case,
because I specifically used it in my story 'Jormugand' and I've also
stated that the timber crews float their logs down the river to Metamor.