Fwd: [Mkguild] The Last Tale of Yajakali - Chapter LXV

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Thu Sep 18 05:11:30 EDT 2008

>On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Kendo Virmir <kendo.virmir at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Metamor has always been about people adjusting to their old lives with
> > new, oftentimes "wrong" forms.  It doesn't seem right for an entire
> > group to avoid this problem.
> >

>I agree... and at the same time, if Eli exists in the MK world, He
>would have the power to do something like this.
>
>I imagine that, just as churches today have to deal with changing
>pressures, that clergy of the MK world will have to deal with it as
>well.  Perhaps not right away--and Eli in His wisdom could perhaps be
>delaying the inevitable to allow His church to get through the current
>crisis.  However, I don't see such protection lasting in perpetuity;
>from a story point of view if only because the consequences of the
>curse in this context would be such a great catalyst to explorer
>facets of human nature, prejudice, tradition, etc.

This is one of those situations where I feel real life politics
infringes on the Metamor Keep setting.  There have been efforts by
some in the past to use Metamor Keep as a vehicle to fix what they
see as problems in modern Christianity.  This really upsets me.

Also, the objections to date raised are raised by people who do not
understand what a sacrament is, and what it means in this
context.  The sacramental seal of ordination is gender
specific.  Having the curse change their gender would be tantamount
to undoing the sacramental ordination, that is, it would imply that
the power of the curse is greater than the power of the divine.  I
think we all can see the illogic in that.

While I am willing to make some wiggle room for nuns/monks who are
not fully priests but merely religious, I will not budge one iota
from this stance when it comes to Ecclesia priests.  There should
never be any female priests in this setting.  The mere thought of it
upsets me grievously because it is a vile example of modern people
trying to fix my faith when it is (in my estimation) they who are
wrong and not my faith.

The sacrament of ordination binds the one so sealed to Eli and grants
to them authority to use certain faculties of Eli's power (such as
many blessings, forgiveness of sins, etc...).  Now, a priest who
violates that sacramental binding with repeated sin an willful schism
(denying the dogmas of faith for instance), would have sufficiently
damaged this sacrmanetal protection that I can see their devilry
being unmasked by the curse making them a woman.

But faithful priests should not.  And as I said, I'd prefer this
extent to all religious, but I'm willing to allow exceptions so long
as my position is understood, respected, and adhered to in this
regard.  I'm the one who developed the Ecclesia and I'm about the
only one who has made use of it beyond references to Father Hough.  I
believe that this decision (which honestly effects only a very small
class of individuals), while not solely mine to make, should be
weighted heavily in my favor.