[Mkguild] Two for the Price of One. Part 1 of 4

Kamau jc2blion at taconic.net
Tue Jun 30 06:07:19 EDT 2009

Thanks for the input Kit. I'll try to flesh out the part of the story
more before it goes to the archive as I seem to have missed the mark on
drawing out certain elements.

Rorlyn is not exactly a rookie mage any more then Jessica was when
Wessex made her a journeyman.  He is a rookie at being a mage in battle,
this is true, but in his travels he has defended himself with these
spells before.  He has also poured over his Master's books for a year
and a half in a kind of self study that other apprentice mages wouldn't
have gotten.  In this self study he has also embellished the spells some
and unknowingly strengthen them.  This is what makes him as powerful as
he appears.  It is because of this accidental enhancement that he has
the ability to tap into an additional magic source, something he himself
does not know he is doing (but will begin to discover later).  That is
what Master Jesse picks up on when he examine Rorlyn's work in the battle.

His barter or discernment spell is a kind of a lie detector.  Just as a
good merchant or card player could read the face and body language of an
opponent so this spell can detect the truthfulness of someone in trade
or while playing cards.  Thus in his transactions, such as the barter
for the horses, Rorlyn asks questions or makes statements that will
invoke a verbal or none verbal response that the spell can read.  From
this he gets the feel of whether or not the person is being truthful.
He does come to the Keep with an awareness of the true worth of items
and this spell only increases his ability to maximize his trade.

His comment to George about being a better merchant then a mage is only
to try and avoid being sent on patrol and not a statement of his true
abilities.

Given this information above where would you see this being brought out
more fully in the story?

Kamau