[Mkguild] The Last Tale of Yajakali - Epilogue

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Fri Mar 13 23:12:02 EDT 2009

Make sure you read Chapter 75 first. ;-)

Metamor Keep: The Last Tale of Yajakali
By Charles Matthias

Epilogue

         Laurence lowered his head and closed his
eyes. “And that,” he said, voice quiet, but still
rich with the dramatic landscape he’d painted,
“is where this, the last tale of Yajakali, comes to a close.”
         Around his legs the many ratlings slept
soundly, little whiskers, paws and tails
twitching in dream.  Even some of the adults sat
with drooping eyes and chins ready to slide from
paws and knees.  Erick reclined, eyes weary but
open, with Lise’s head resting against his chest
and her tail entwining his.  He nudged her
gently, and she stifled a yawn as she sat back
up.  He took a deep breath and glanced at the
clock.  Only a few hours until dawn.  His uncle
had been at story for nearly a full day without rest!
         Erick glanced at his children, then up
at his uncle who quietly glared at his sleepy
audience. “I would applaud,” the Lord of the
Narrows said softly, “but I don’t want to wake
the children.  That was an astonishing tale.  You
are right.  I have never heard the like!”
         “Nor I,” King Albert said.  The
long-eared stallion rubbed his exhaustion from
one eye and stretched his back.  A faint rippling
crack ran up his spine. “You have exceeded yourself, Master Laurence.”
         The elder rat smiled, whiskers twitching
in delight, and bowed to his King.  His long
scaly tail rose behind him as he swept one arm
over his back. “It has been a great pleasure
regaling you with so momentous a work.”  He
stood, took a deep breath that swelled his chest
and doublet, and then deflated with a slow
shoulder slump. “It has taken me years to cobble
all of these pieces together.  Truly this has been my life’s work.”
         “And you will be commended for it more
formally than this,” the regal horse said with
firm diction, the last vestiges of sleep vanished
from his comportment. “But not until after we’ve all had some sleep.”
         Laurence stifled a yawn and clasped his
paws over his belly. “A very wise decision, your majesty.”
         Lise woke the servants and together they
collected the children who woke only long enough
to see who it was who picked them off the
carpeted pile.  Their whiskers and ears twitched
as their dreams resumed.  Erick’s wife carried
their eldest boy in her arms and offered him a
meaningful glance. “I trust you will be joining me in bed soon?”
         Erick nodded and stretched as he rose.
“Very soon.  I don’t think I can stay awake much longer.”
         “Me neither,” Timothy said.  His cousin
was sprawled on the steps of the depression with
his flop hat slid over his eyes.  Erick had
thought it might be to hide a nap, but he’d never
heard his younger cousin snore.  Timothy pushed
the flop hat back over his ears and rolled his
shoulders in circles. “I still cannot believe you
would end us on that note.  What of their return voyage to Metamor?”
         Laurence lifted one claw and smiled to
his nephew. “Ah, you forget that this was a tale
of Yajakali.  He is now dead, and so what comes
after should only be enough to assure us that all
are safe and will be home soon.”
         “Not all of them,” Father Rouse said as
he stood on his gangly legs.  The bright
yellowish-green tree frog flexed his fingers and
jaws. “If I’m not mistaken, I caught the
beginnings of many more tales sown in your conclusion.”
         Laurence favoured the Questioner with a
satisfied glint in his eyes. “And just what tales would those be?”
         Rouse’s red eyes met the impish jongleur
and betrayed none of his exhaustion. “The
founding of the Sisters of the Holy Mother’s
Sacred Heart, the arrival of the first Questioner
to be stationed in Metamor, St. Elvmere’s long
journey back into the Ecclesia, all of the
political manoeuvring surrounding the
establishment of a diocese in the Northern
Midlands, not to mention the fireworks that
Father Akaleth’s visit to Marigund will bring.  I
know of these events only through history, and
I’d be very interested if you know those tales as well.”
         Laurence smiled to the frog and lowered
his eyelids until he gazed through his lashes.
“Many of them I do know, but now is not the time
to hear of them.  It is very late, and they deserve their own day to tell.”
         “Not to mention the birth of Thomas and
Alberta’s first child,” King Albert put in.
         “Or the elevation of Grandpa Charles to
the nobility after returning to the tragedy of
his family and the journey he undertook,” Erick
added, his whiskers twitching in delight at the
thought of the founder of their family’s subsequent adventures.
         Laurence snorted, “As if you haven’t
heard me tell you those stories many times before.”
         Erick shrugged.  He was too tired to
argue with his uncle.  He glanced at his many
guests, watching them rise one by one and stretch
the fatigue from their muscles.  Kalder, the
ambassador from Vysehrad, had his eyes closed in
thought as he lifted his feet up and down to wake
them.  Beside him, Count Floran adjusted his blue
sash, an unsettled moue on his lips.  Sitting
behind them, legs crossed, her vibrant eyes no
less astute than they’d been in the morning,
Sinhåsa el-Abarei, the Åelvish ambassador,
cradled her ivory handled sword in her lap and
watched the others rise.  In the other corner,
Prime Minister Ryman Ertham rubbed his eyes with
the backs of his paws, long frazzled tail
flitting back and forth and nearly striking
Father Rouse in its erratic circuit.  Captain
Demetrius of Whales sat with stiff-back and alert
eyes through the entire performance, and now stood with equal poise.
         On Erick’s side of the room, he noticed
the ram, Lord Arister Dupré, rising and muttering
something to himself, clearly disturbed by what
he’d heard.   Nearby, Andre the red dragon
reclined with his wife, the russet brown gryphon
named Tessa, and his cousin Scyllia, the ferret
mage who dressed more colourfully than anyone
else Erick knew, leaning against him on either
side.  For a moment, Andre’s long snout looked
ready to fall into his lap, when it snapped up
and he snorted with fierce pride, “What a joy it
was to hear that my ancestor Kayla was the one to
strike down that foul Marquis!  Ah, what a gripping climax, Master Laurence!”
         Scyllia nodded as she pushed off his
heavy, crimson scaled arm, “Oh it was.  I’m so
happy for her!  She got to free her lover from
the cards!  And I was so happy to see Wessex help
Jessica one last time.  That was so
touching!  But oh,” the ferret’s face fell and
her enthusiasm turned to melancholy, “poor
Lindsey and Habakkuk.  I was wondering why they
didn’t have any descendants here to listen.”
         “I am confused,” Rouse admitted with a
narrowing of his red eyes, “why the last
Felikaush appeared to St. Elvmere.  He had no
children.  The new line of prophets emerged in
Sil...” Rouse stopped, blinked, and then laughed.
“Now you must tell me that story if you know it!”
         Laurence waved one paw at the frog as he
walked from the centre of the room to where King
Albert sat. “I told you, Father, another day
perhaps.” His eyes lit upon the horse lord and he
bowed. “Your majesty, I am very tired, and beg
your leave to find a bed on which to rest my weary head.”
         “You may.  I suggest we all retire for
the night.” King Albert rose and tottered on his
hooves for a moment. “If I cannot find my bed,
then like my ancestor, a pile of hay would suit me at this hour.”
         There were a few weary chuckles at
Albert’s bit of levity, but most failed to grasp
the humour.  One by one they all made it to their
feet and shuffled toward the chamber’s
exits.  But before Laurence could leave, Count
Floran stepped in his way with a deep frown.
“Master Laurence, I must know something.”
         Laurence looked up at the southerner and
twitched his greying whiskers. “What is it?”
         “You say that Duke Verdane sent William
Dupré to Metamor because of a messenger from the
Åelf.  Yet I have never heard such a thing in all
my years at the Kelewairan court, nor in any of
the histories of that time.  How come you to say
such a thing that has no evidence for it?”
         The rat took a deep breath and gestured
to the pearl-grey skinned woman with pointed ears
and exotic armour. “Sinhåsa el-Abarei is five
hundred years old.  She saw and remembers Grandpa
Charles and the rest arrive in Ava-shavåis.  It
is from her predecessor here at Metamor that I came by such knowledge.”
         “And I have spoken with Tyliå-nou,”
Sinhåsa said in silvery tones. “He admits to
bringing the letter as he was asked.  It is also
the last time he has spoken your tongue.”
         Count Floran’s glare weakened but did
not entirely fall from his face. “And what of him
now?  Does he care that his name is passed around in tales?”
         “He is in seclusion aiding Andares-es-sebashou.”
         Timothy squeaked in surprise, “Andares is still alive?”
         “And serves as Lord of Colours for Ava-shavåis.”
         Laurence waved them to silence with one
paw. “Does that satisfy you, Count Floran?”
         Floran took a deep breath, eyes scanning
the room briefly, then settled on the rat. “It
does.  Thank you and good night.”
         Erick exchanged a quick look with King
Albert, and then both of them, feeling intense
relief, left the chambers to find their beds.  No
more was said as all of them stumbled to where
they’d been promised sleep.  The grumbling
shuffle of boots, paws, and hooves echoed down the empty corridors.

         It was sometime well past midmorning
when Lord Erick Matthias climbed from his bed to
attend to his many guests.  At Lise’s suggestion,
he had Robert bring them when they woke to his
morning room to break their fast.  His wife,
still exhausted from Laurence’s long tale,
nevertheless felt it her duty to make sure that
the children received their lessons and spent
some time out of doors after four days clustering
at the paws of the master jongleur.
         Erick personally went to the kitchens
and instructed his staff to bring a wide
selection of pastries, eggs, and juice to his
solar.  That task done, he made his sore muscles
climb the steps to the east-facing room with wide
windows over looking the Narrows.  Magical
artifice had provided them with large panes of
glass free of whorls and other impurities, so the
view was nearly as pristine as if the window were
open.  Yet this way, even in the winter months
the Matthias clan could enjoy a lovely sight
without freezing.  The engineers had assured his
grandfather when they built the room that no
trebuchet could reach them so far from the outer
walls, and Erick hoped they would never need test that pronouncement.
         A couch lined the wall beneath the
window, with a lacquered table that came to his
chest spread the length of the couch.  Erick
often liked to bring books to read here in the
quiet mornings when he could afford such
leisure.  Now, all the ornamental decorations
were pushed aside and plates were arrayed for all of them.
         Laurence was there already, soaking the
sun into his grey-whiskered snout. “Good morning, Nephew.”
         “Good morning, Uncle,” Erick
replied.  He slid onto the cushions and leaned
against the pane of glass.  His tail curled
around and rested in his lap where the sun
shone.  Every bit of him struck by the light felt
a rich warmth suffuse throughout. “I cannot get
my head around this story of yours.  Did
everything truly come together at the last moment?”
         “It did,” Laurence replied. “Little
evidence remains that time stopped for all not in
Marzac, but how would you leave evidence of
stopped time?  It is only from the diaries of
Duke Thomas Hassan V that I even learned of what he saw that night.”
         Erick pondered that as he enjoyed the
sun. “Just how long have you been working on this tale?”
         “Most of my life,” Laurence replied.
“Oh, the stories of Grandpa Charles have been
passed down through our family, but never in such
detail.  Grandpa Charles wrote most of this down,
and it made for entertaining reading.  The rest
I’ve found in diaries and ledgers and treatises
of all stripes.  But it wasn’t until I found that
snippet from Duke Thomas’s diary that I began to
understand just what had really happened all
those years ago.  And also how fortunate that makes us.”
         “We wouldn’t have been if they’d failed.  Is that what you’re saying?”
         Laurence shook his head. “It is worse
than that.  Although they would not discern it
for many years, the mages of Marigund, in
cooperation with those of Boreaux, were able to
determine what would have happened if Yajakali
succeeded.” He paused and let his eyes stare past
the glass to the distant mountains resplendent in
their summer coat of green.  Towers and towns
pockmarked the valley, all radiant in the sun’s midday light.
         Erick tapped his claws on the lacquered
wood. “Uncle, you aren’t at story anymore.  You can tell me.”
         Laurence chuckled to himself, whiskers
drooping. “It is frightening to think about,
Nephew, what could have been.  Or rather, what
wouldn’t have been.  To undo his mistake,
Yajakali sought to bend time backward.  He smote
Vigoreaux in order to unhitch time.  That is, to
break the current moment in time from the ever
forward moving stream of time.  And he smote Sir
Autrefois in order to loop time.”
         Erick shook his head. “I’m not seeing this.”
         Laurence plucked at a loose thread from
his tunic sleeve. “Just a moment and I can
demonstrate.” He lowered hiss out to his sleeve
and bit the thread loose.  The strand extended
the width of his paw with fingers
outstretched.  He held the ends in either paw and
gently pulled it taut. “Imagine that the end of
the string in my right paw is the past, and that
of my left paw is the future.  The present is
somewhere in the middle ever moving toward my left paw.  Do you follow?”
         “This sounds suspiciously like my philosophy lessons.”
         “Then if you paid attention you should
understand.  Normally time is straight like you
see here.  What Yajakali did was concentrate
enough magical power in the same place after
weakening the veils between the worlds with his
multiple wars and death that he made the time
line break free.  He unhitched the time line so
that it didn’t have to be straight anymore.  And
then he looped it, by taking the present moment
and sending it to the past.  Like this.”
         Laurence lifted the end in his left paw
and set it down in the middle making a loop one
end of the thread.  Erick nodded. “So when they
moved forward in time, they’d be moving through the past?”
         “And stuck in a loop,” Laurence added.
“Yajakali didn’t want that either.  And had he
killed Jessica, he would have loosed time.  That
is, he would have pulled the loop in time free.”
Laurence lifted the thread to his teeth and
severed it.  Now he held two pieces, one a thread
dangling from his right paw, the other still held
in a loop. “Yajakali and all he drew over would
remake time anew in this thread,” he waved the
strand in his right paw. “While all time in this
loop would be forever trapped.”
         “How could time stay like that?” Erick
asked, blinking and suddenly wishing he’d stayed
in bed.  Not even the sun’s warmth could make his
brain move fast enough to follow his uncle.
         “Ah, and there is the final nightmare
that our ancestors avoided!” Laurence waved the
loop of string in the air as if it were evidence
of a great crime. “To answer your question, it
couldn’t.  Time couldn’t stay like this.  The
loop would have broken free, and in so doing, the
magical backlash would have destroyed
Yajakali.  The magical backlash that did occur
when the loop broke was enough to destroy the World Bell.”
         Erick shook his head, ears folding
back.  He could hear the distant sound of boots
and hooves coming up the servant’s stairs.  The
scent of pastries struck his snout a moment
later. “Sp how was Yajakali going to prevent this?”
         “That is why he sought alliance with the
Underworld.  It swallows all magic.  Everything
in that time loop would have been loosed to the
Underworld.  All eleven thousand years of time
would have been the Underworld’s to feast upon.”
         Laurence dropped the thread as the doors
to the servant’s passage opened and the first
trays of pastries and cheeses were brought into
the solar.  Erick tried to smile to them, but his
mind kept poring over his uncle’s words.  The
servants were long used to his distracted moments
and quietly set about their tasks.  They arranged
the platter of pastries, rich breads glazed with
cream and fruit, while various fresh cheeses were
arrayed on another platter.  Erick took a small
wedge of a rather sharp cheddar and nibbled on
the end.  He would have to thank them later.
         Once they’d left, Erick turned to his
uncle and whispered, “Listening to you tell the
tale, I could tell that Yajakali had become
evil.  But until this moment, I never really
understood how much.  That’s... inconceivably
profane.  It’s... I don’t know what words to use to describe it.”
         “A failure, praise Eli,” Laurence supplied.
         Erick’s ears turned as the voices of
some of his guests echoed up the hallway. “Aye, a
failure.  Thank you for telling me, Uncle.”
         Laurence patted him on the shoulder in a
way only family could do and nodded, his smile
warmer than the sun. “It is a pleasure.  Besides,
it is as you say, I am no longer at story, and can give away things now!  Hah!”
         The momentary fear passed form his heart
and both rats laughed together as the first of their friends joined them.

         It was well past noon when one by one
his guests began to depart for their
homes.  Captain Demetrius of Whales was the first
to leave, but not after complimenting Erick
Matthias on a fine home and Laurence on a
marvellous tale.  The stalwart captain offered
Scyllia a ride back south, but she declined
preferring to spend a little more time with her cousin and his wife.
         King Albert and his retinue slipped away
before Erick and Lise could arrange a fanfare to
send them on their way.  Much to the rat’s
chagrin, Albert had his Prime Minister keep them
both occupied while he arranged his
departure.  Father Rouse and Sinhåsa el-Abarei
accompanied him as before, and before they knew
it, their liege was bidding them farewell.
         After the excitement of the tale’s
conclusion, watching his guests depart left Erick
feeling nostalgic.  And it reminded him of the
many tasks he had to attend to as Lord of the
Narrows.  He’d spent four days listening to
Laurence.  He couldn’t put off his duties any longer.
         Still, he enjoyed every last minute he
could with his guests.  After breaking their fast
in his solar, he led what guests remained on a
tour of his castle and grounds, helping each of
them to work out the soreness in their legs from
sitting too long.  The day was warm with a bright
sun and only a few clouds to mar the saintly blue
of the sky.  And to all their surprise, another
set of stormclouds broke and dispersed.
         While Erick was describing the watch
posts high up the mountain ridge, Arister Dupré,
who had been uncharacteristically quiet since the
conclusion of the story, turned to Count Floran
and announced, “Count Floran, I apologize to you
and the house of Verdane.  I and my family have
born them ill will for so long, I never thought
it possible there could be another truth.  But
Duke Verdane only wished to protect his people,
and it was my forebear that brought them to
harm.  Forgive me my wroth words of last night
and all the enmity I have born these many years!”
         Floran’s frown turned into a long sigh.
“If Master Laurence is to be believed, and I
don’t see why he shouldn’t, then I owe you an
apology too for what I have said.  I always
believer your house to be founded by a traitor to
Kelewair.  But it seems that it was just one more
consequence of evil that swept men along.”
         Arister’s snout spread in a firm
grin.  The older ram crossed to Floran’s side and
extended a woolly arm. “I may not agree with on
policy for the kingdom, but on this we can
agree.  There is no reason to bear a grudge
against our ancestors or each other.”
         Floran hesitated as he stared at the
hoof-like hand for only a moment.  Then he
smiled, faint but sure, and they clasped hands.
“Yes, on that we can at least agree.”
         While the two enemies shook, Erick’s ear
caught Laurence’s words muttered under his
breath, “Finally!  Thank Eli!” Erick smiled but kept his muzzle shut.

         By midafternoon, Erick was left
wandering his grounds by himself.  Andre and
Tessa flew back with Scyllia riding between her
cousin’s wings.  Arister Dupré promised to drag
Timothy to the Wall again before he
left.  Timothy swore he’d flee to Midtown first
before begging leave to return to Metamor and his
family.  Even Ambassador Kalder had to return to Metamor.
         Laurence didn’t leave the Matthias Keep
but he did excuse himself once the other guests
had all left.  Erick didn’t blame him for his
desire to sleep.  He’d been surprised to see him
up at all.  But, it meant that Erick was alone in
wandering the grounds.  All about him was silence apart from the wind.
         Erick wandered over terrazzo and natural
stone as he wended back between the
mountains.  The land fell into soft shadow, and
ivy cascaded from the high walls like running
goats.  Erick trailed his paws through the ivy
and wondered what it had been like for his
ancestor to have ivy grow from his flesh.
         The ground sloped upward as it narrowed
between the pass.  Eventually, it gave way to a
twin set of stairs, one on either side of the
pass.  The ivy clung to the steps, but his family
kept them clean.  This was a task that the
Matthias clan always performed for
themselves.  No place was more special to them
than this.  Between the sets of stairs a
mausoleum stood.  Its facade was simple and only
bore a depiction of the Yew beneath of which on
bended knee genuflected a rat.  The vault
descended deep into the earth, but it was not there that Erick sought.
         It was to the garden.
         At the top of the staircase hid a
reclusive garden.  The sun only directly struck
the garden for a few hours a day; but with it and
the light reflected from the snowy peaks it was
enough that simple plant life prospered during
the Summer.  Trees lines the exterior, with a
circular terrazzo walkway surrounding a central
section of smaller bushes and flowers.  A long
wall stood at the western edge overlooking the
sudden drop.  While only a few hundred feet, it
looked as if the mountains had been sheared with
a knife.  It was the reason that they had never
feared attack from the mountains.
         But what truly made the garden special
was the statuary.  A dozen statues of rats stood,
sat, or reclined in various positions about the
garden.  Plaques were set beside them that all
Matthias family members could come here and
remember them.  The most recent was only ten
years old.  Laurence’s eldest brother, now a
statue of firm granite, polished with loving care
by his family, leaned against the western wall
peering over the edge, long tail curling around an iron post for safety’s sake.
         Erick rubbed one paw over his uncle’s
back before moving to the central
figure.  Standing with snout lifted toward the
heavens was his Grandpa Charles.  A black
handprint covered his right eye and cheek.  The
eyes were faceted obsidian.  He wore doublet and
hose with the Narrows heraldry, with a Sondeckis
robe draped over one arm.  Crawling over his back
and chest was an ivy which burrowed into his back above his long tail.
         The living rat reached out a paw to
touch the granite corpus of his progenitor.  He
smiled softly and half imagined that heavenly
gaze smiled in return. “Well, here I am
again.  So, tell me, Grandpa.  What happens
next?” And in the silence that followed, Lord
Erick Matthias almost thought he heard the stony
remains of his ancestor regale him with the next tale.