[Mkguild] MK Story Overcoming Fear part 1

Chris chrisokane at verizon.net
Sat Mar 21 23:59:57 EDT 2009

This is a change of pace from my usual action stories. This visits
Misha's family and touches on some painful things.

******************

Overcoming Fear
By Christian O’Kane

July 707

   “Misha.”

   “Misha.”

   “MISHA!” Caroline shouted and touched Misha on the shoulder.

   The fox morph yelped and jumped in surprise. He turned to see
Caroline standing there, looking at him. “What? What’s wrong my love?”
he asked and stroked the side of her face..

   “You have been sitting at that desk, pen in hand and staring at that
blank paper for over an hour,” she explained. Caroline wrapped her arms
around Misha’s neck and nuzzled him softly. “Are you meditating?”

   “I’m trying to write a letter to . . .” his voice faded and he looked
down at the paper.

   “To who?” she asked, puzzled. Misha had a tough persona and a
reputation as a ferocious fighter but at times he was surprisingly shy
and nervous. Right now she was seeing a frightened child.

   “My parents,” he said finally. “I want to put it in with the
engagement notices.”

   “So what’s wrong?” she asked.

   “How do I start it?”  He asked painfully. “I . . . .”

   “How about the obvious way?” she asked. “Start with ‘Hello Mom and
Dad.’ “

   He looked at her dubiously. “What if I put my heart and soul into
this letter and they reject me again.” His voice cracked and his eyes
were full of pain and doubt.

   “You will never know unless write it,” Caroline countered. “All
you’ll have is your doubts.”

   “But what . . . “

   “How did Elizabeth react when you talked to her for the first time?”
the otter said cutting off his objection.

   “Happy,” he said and his voice mellowed and he sat up straighter.

   “Then why shouldn’t your own parents?”

   Misha didn’t answer her but just looked down at the paper. His whole
body slumped down lower in the chair.

   “Misha?” she asked in a soft tone, worried by her lover’s response.
“Misha?”

   “They . . they . . killed me,” he stuttered in a whisper.

   Confused, all Caroline could do was look at him.

   “They decided that rather then have a fox creature for a son they
would prefer to have me dead. So they declared I had died in some far
off war. They had a funeral and even had a tomb made for me with a life
sized HUMAN effigy on it.” He voice cracked. “They want me dead!” He
started crying and sobbing like a child. The tears flowing down his
cheeks.

   All Caroline could think to do was hug him, wrap her arms around him
and hold him tightly as he cried.

   “Have you ever asked Elizabeth how they feel now?” the otter asked as
she stroked his head softly.

   “No,” he sobbed. “Well. Yes. Sort of.” The crying slowed and he
looked at her. “I asked a few times how they were doing but I never
asked what they thought about me. I just didn’t have the courage.”

   “And you never sent them any letters or anything else?” she asked.

   He was silent for a moment and sniffled a few times. “I did send Dad
a nice clock for his birthday. Liz says he really liked it.”

   She saw the faint glimmer of hope appear in his eyes only to
disappear again. “Why haven’t they sent ME anything? Why nothing. Not
even thank you.”

   “Why haven’t you contacted them?” she countered.

   “I don’t like jokes,” he snarled angrily.

   “I am not joking,” she answered in clipped tones. “You are afraid
they’ll reject you. Maybe they’re afraid you will reject them if they
say they’re sorry.”

   Misha sat there totally stunned. “I hadn’t thought of that. Could it
be that simple?”

   Caroline saw hope rekindled in his eyes and grow brighter with each
passing moment. “Only one way to find out.” She tapped the paper with
her fur covered hand. “Write it.”

   “Will you help?” he asked like a frightened child. “Please?”

   Caroline kissed him on the muzzle. “Of course.”

************************

   The letter arrived in an unusual manner – a giant bat with a twenty
foot wing span landed in the courtyard of the castle. It’s rider was
dressed in brown leather that had been covered with a rubbery substance
to make it waterproof. He was of medium height and his body was thin and
well muscled. Shoulder length black hair was tied back into a pony tail.
A short sword dangled from a belt on his him and a bow and quiver were
strapped to his back.

   The two stood patiently as soldiers streamed into the courtyard,
swords and spears at the ready.

  “Misha was right Camella,” the leather clad figure commented to the
bat. “They weren’t ready for an attack from the sky.”

   “Few people are Neal,” The bat answered in a feminine voice. “Why are
you always surprised when this happens?”

   The two were very quickly surrounded by a score of guards dressed in
chain mail armor. Each was carrying a long spear with a wickedly sharp
point. Overhead countless more soldiers aimed powerful bows at them from
behind stone battlements.

   “They certainly recovered quickly enough,” the man commented.

   “Indeed,” the bat answered. Her body shivered and seemed to collapse
in on its self shrinking and getting smaller and smaller till she was
roughly human sized. Camella had stopped growing smaller but she did not
stop changing. Her short bat legs grew longer and changed to something
more resembling human limbs. A pair of arms separated from Camella’s
wings which she folded flat against her back. What had been a bat was
now an odd human like bat woman. It looked like a mage’s hybrid creation
and more at home Mage’s Guild Hall then a nobleman’s castle.

   A figure came out of a nearby doorway and slowly advanced on the two
new arrivals. He was some six feet tall and looked formidable dressed in
armor and with a sword in his right hand and a shield in the other.

   The bat cocked her head. “Wow, he is tall!”

   The rider opened his pouch and produced several envelopes. He handed
one to the tall guard. “That one is for you Verner.” The rider handed
the man a second envelope. “This is for your wife Elizabeth. I have
others for Lord and Lady Brightleaf.”

   The man looked at the envelope without opening it. “How do you know
who I am?”

   “Misha said he would be as tall as a church steeple.”

   The figure looked startled. “My brother by marriage is dead.”

   “People keep telling me that,” Neal looked at the bat and commented
calmly.

   “Misha certainly looks pretty good for a dead person,” Camella said
nonchalantly returning the man’s gaze. “Perhaps we should tell him to
lie down and be still.”

   “Do you think ANYONE could tell Misha to do anything he doesn’t want
to?” the rider asked.

   “Caroline can,” she retorted with a chuckle.

   “You know him?”

   “We are here on his behest,” Neal explained.

   Verner gestured towards the door he had just left. “This way.” It was
not a request.

************************

   The party was a good one. The massive Long hall was filled with all
the guests and it seemed as if everyone had been invited. Even the Duke!
All had come. No one ever willingly missed one of Misha’s parties. The
fox was famous for throwing some lavish and wild parties and this wasn’t
just a party it was special! It was an engagement party! He has spared
no expense and it showed. Banners and streamers covered the walls and
ceiling. The tables were laden with the finest food set on fine china.
There was even crystal cups for many of the guests. There was a five
piece band that played for the guests as they ate the five course meal.

   Misha and Caroline were well dressed and seemed to be everywhere.
Talking with all the guests as all they all admired her engagement ring.
The females admired the beauty while the males were impressed by it’s
cost.

  But for all the excitement and attention both Misha and Caroline had
their minds somewhere else. They were thinking of two people now in
Marigund and the message they were delivering.

*************************************

   The two had half expected to be thrown into a dark cell in the
dungeon. Instead the room they were led into was finely appointed. The
walls were paneled in the same deeply grained wood as the furniture.
Paintings and drawings in gold frames hung from the walls and a richly
woven carpet covered the floor.

   “I’m impressed,” Neal commented as he looked around. “All this bought
with wool.”

   “There is a big market for Marigund wool,” Camella said. “The
Brightleafs are among the biggest wool exporters in the country. The
shirt you’re wearing is made from Marigund wool.” The bat woman sat down
on a bench with no back being careful of her wings. “Did you think the
whole family went around swinging axes?”

   He chuckled and opened his mouth to speak but a door opened and in
stepped a figure carrying a large tray. The girl was in her teens, just
entering adolescence and maturing into a woman. The purple and green
dress she was wearing was made of wool and trimmed with fine lace. The
silver ribbons highlighted her black hair nicely.

   She carefully placed the tray onto a table then turned to the two
guests. “Welcome to Briarwood Castle,” she said. “Lord and Lady
Brightleaf will see you shortly. The wine is a fine vintage and I
brought some food in case you are hungry. You look like one of the fruit
eating bats from the south so I brought some fruit. I can bring you
something else if you want.” She didn’t seem the slightest bit disturbed
by the fact that she was addressing a bat human.

   “Fruit is fine,” Camella answered. “Thank you. Aren’t you surprised
to be speaking to a talking she bat?”

   The girl shook her head. “No. Aunt Elizabeth has had some unusual
guests here from the Guild. Some of those mages are really weird.”

   Neal shook his head. “I’m not sure I want to hear anymore of that.”

   “You would be Amanda,” the bat said. “George’s middle child.”

   The girl smiled at the recognition. “Yes my lady.” She stepped
closer. “Are you really from Metamor?” she asked in a conspiratorial
whisper.

   “Where else would we be from?” Camella answered. “Do I look like I’m
from Isenport?”

   The girl laughed. “Have you really come from Uncle Misha?”

   “Yes we have,” Neal answered and with a flourish he produced an
envelope and handed it to the Amanda. “That is for you.”

   She didn’t take it but looked at the envelope carefully. It looked
like a normal envelope. On the front was written her name is a black
flowing hand writing.

   A figure appeared in a doorway next to the bat. “Take it dear. It’s
not a trap or poisoned.” The woman was wearing a long, flowing, woolen
dress of dyed a deep blue color. He hair was loose but fairly short

   Camella stood up and gave as good a bow as her bat like body allowed.
She kicked Neal in the ankle.

   He bowed as well giving a deep, formal bow, his arm almost touching
the floor. “Lady Elizabeth, Lord Verner. I bring good tidings from Sir
Misha Brightleaf and Lady Caroline.”

   “You knew we were coming?” Neal asked more then a little surprised.

   “Misha contacted me this morning and told me the good news,” the
woman explained.

   “You’re Elizabeth!” Camella exclaimed.

   “We have a letter for Lord and Lady Brightleaf,” Neal stated.

   “I’ll take them,” Elizabeth said extending her hand. “This is
something Reuben and Muriel should hear from family.”

   “How will they take the news?” Neal asked bluntly.

   The woman didn’t answer at first. But simply looked at them. “I’m not
sure. I don’t think my parents themselves know how they’ll take it.”

   “Then we are all about to find out,” Neal commented bluntly.

*****************

   This room was a lot less ornate then the previous one. The paintings
on the wall looked older and held images of men and woman dressed in
outdated clothing. The bed was a massive affair of old wood and thick
wool curtains. But although the furniture looked older and a bit worn it
felt more friendly then the first room. Unlike the waiting room which
had been for formally entertaining guests this place was more informal.
This was a place used often by the Brightleaf family and their friends.

   “If you need something please feel free to ask,” Amanda asked.

   “Thank you,” Camella answered as she looked around.

   “About dinner?” Neal asked hopefully.

   The girl smiled. “Dinner is at six in the evening.”

**************

  Dinner did indeed start at six pm and took place in a surprisingly
small room. They had expected to be some massive hall but instead they
were in a small dining room about twenty feet wide and forty long. The
table that dominated the room was of thick, black timbers and was
polished to a high gloss. On the table were plates, saucers and other
dinnerware of the finest porcelain. All were decorated with the blue
floral pattern of some far east artisan. To go with the dinnerware the
silverware was made of real silver and decorated with the same pattern
as the plates. Glasses of cut crystal rested in front of each seating
place.

   Neal was given a seat with a tall back and well padded with leather.
Camella was escorted to a place next to Neal and found her seat was a
thickly padded bench with a no back to it. She would have no problem
sitting even with her large wings.

   Already standing around the table when they arrived was a wide
assortment of people. She recognized Elizabeth and her husband Verner,
Amanda and several others who she didn’t recognize. All were undoubtedly
close family.

   A door at the far end of the room opened and two couple made their
way into the hall. An older man wearing the clean crisp clothes of a
trusted servant spoke loudly. “Sir George and Lady Rowenna Brightleaf.”
He paused for a moment. “Sir Reuben and Muriel Brightleaf.”

   George and Rowenna Brightleaf were finely dressed. George was doublet
and pants both of a dark red and blue color. He was shorter then Verner
by a full head span but he was of stocky build. His body showed muscles
with an edge of fat to them. Telling of a man used to hard work but
whose body was starting to soften with age. His eyes were bright and he
seemed to miss little of what was happening around him. They lingered on
Camella for a long time looking her over from head to paws. Then he
smiled and nodded to her in greeting.

   Rowenna was slightly shorter then her husband but thinner. Her blonde
hair showed little sign of gray and her face was smooth with only a
small amount of makeup around the eyes and on her cheeks. The light
yellow dress she was wearing had a border of flowers painted in bright
colors and edged with silver. Several rings decorated her fingers and a
long gold chain with pearls hung from her neck. She locked eyes with
Camella and smiled broadly as her faced animated with friendship and
delight. Her greeting seemed warm and sincere.

   Reuben Brightleaf was of middling height and with a rough and weather
worn face whose eyes missed little of what was going on around him. He
hair was more gray then it’s original black and was thinning on top. His
clothes were well made and finely cut speaking of money well spent on it
but was just warn enough to speak of being his normal wear and not
merely worn to impress.

   On his right arm was a woman of about the same age as Reuben. Her
hair was a dark brown and heavily salted with gray. Her long, flowing
dress was of purple wool. For someone so rich Muriel was wearing
remarkably little jewelry. A gold wedding ring was on one hand and a
necklace of silver chain dangled from her neck ending in a broach of the
same silver.

   The pair bowed deeply to Camella and Neal who returned the gesture
with bows of their own.

   “It is a pleasure to have guests from such a distant place,” George
said in a calm voice filled with a strength that belayed his age.

   Neal smiled broadly. “Thank you for such a gracious reception.”

   Camella nodded in agreement. “Especially for taking into account my
wings. Many people forget the wings and bring me a chair I can’t sit in
without crushing them.”

   “Think nothing of it!” Rowenna said. “Elizabeth went through her ‘Fly
like the birds’ phase as a youngster. It was a month before we could get
her to remove the wings. At least we finally managed to get her to keep
her clothes on.”

   “Mother!” Elizabeth scolded and blushed a deep red. “I was eight at
the time.”

   “If you will all take a seat we’ll begin the meal!” Reuben ordered
gently with a smile on his lips.