[Mkguild] Idea for possible jumping-off point

Nathan Pfaunmiller azariahwolf at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 02:27:07 UTC 2010

Let's see...

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 7:59 PM, C. Matthias <jagille3 at vt.edu> wrote:

> Well, I am always interested in discussing ideas for the future of MK.
>  Here are some of my thoughts.
>
> Nathan, regarding your idea on the expansion of the Curse post Marzac, it
> is something that I had thought of doing quite some time ago.  You are
> getting into my head remarkably well these days. ;-)

Heh, thanks.  I generally try to pay enough attention when I read that I can
roll with the punches as they come later.  Glad to know I'm evidently doing
pretty well.

> However, at the time I suggested it, I didn't realize all of the
> complications and political instability this would cause.  Further, there
> didn't seem to be much enthusiasm for the idea so I quietly dropped it.  I
> still think it is a logical consequence of the increase in magical energy
> that will ensue now that the sinkhole of Marzac has been plugged.  However,
> I'm not wedded to the idea.

As for the Starchild Arc, I had thought the goal was to proceed with Merai's
> corruption alternative in which she becomes a pawn of Suspira and takes
> control of the Sathmoran Emporer.  I've been reviewing Raven's last works in
> addition to working on my own stories in order to gauge what needs to be
> done.  I just have a TON to write of my own so this project is going to take
> me some time (unless I get some help from interested parties).

My idea was originally spawned because there was a good bit of uncertainty
as to whether the Starchild arc would be continuing in any form, and I would
like to at least have a little tension present during the next year to
further my own storylines, although I'm sure I can create tension without my
idea actually coalescing.  This idea just came to me because I was going
back and reviewing old story ideas I had abandoned over my many years of
casual writing, and I had a few isolated scenes involving a cursed orphanage
with no idea for the where, why, or how of anything.  The rest of the idea
sort of happened as I was running it through my mind and trying to answer
these questions.

> As for the situation in the Midlands, Verdane and Otakar are currently
> focussed on each other and I have a plan in place where Metamor plays a
> pivotal role in rescuing Jaime Verdane.  This situation could go lots of
> different ways, but my ultimate goal was to strengthen Metamor's position
> politically.  How all of that plays out of course is up in the air.  One
> thing I do want to do is explore the character of Andwyn more as he is
> involved in this entire affair from the beginning.  But I can manage that no
> matter which way this goes.

Hmm...  I am giving Andwyn a bit more of a role in my own stories, since his
is the Keeper most able to anticipate and compensate for anything Lois might
do.  It already has him involved with Lois face-to-face, and I was hoping
for that involvement to continue for a while, at least for the duration of
my first arc.  May have to compare notes to make sure we don't put him at
two places at once, depending on his degree of involvement in one or the
other.

> I intend to have William Dupré begin building a wall that will stretch
> across the entire Giant's Dike which will fortify Metamor's northern border
> and make Lutin raiding parties a thing of the past.  Of course, that will
> take a very long time to build, so don't say goodbye to Lutins just yet.
>  Ryx's Ghost Horde storyline takes place well before the Wall is finished..
>
> Anyway, that's some of what I had hoped to do.
>
> What do other people have planned?  And what conflicts exist in these plans
> so we know what to work around?
>
> May He bless you and keep you in His grace and love,
>
> Charles Matthias

The question of what other people have planned is really the thing that this
hinges on.  It's also why I proposed it simply as cold war to start out.  It
could create intrigue without necessitating open combat with people in the
Midlands, so if people are focused northwards and have no interest of
exploring any kind of conflict with the Midlands beyond the usual "demon
theory" tension, it would still be up to them.  It's also why I said we
would need an extremely positive reaction to even consider going so far as
hot war.

Thanks for listening to my idea!

-LurkingWolf

!DSPAM:4c5a2181253711804284693!