[Mkguild] Proposed redesign of the Mages' Guild Tower

Skylos skylos at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 11:16:04 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 10:43 PM, Christian Okane <chrisokane at verizon.net>wrote:

>  Thanks for the comments but I will admit to being a little confused.

I'll try to explain.

Yes, I don't mean the three dimensional utilization of space, I mean the
efficiency of moving around the tower.  But because its linear you don't
have the folding effect - in an actual tower you have a choice.  EITHER I go
up the stairs OR I go around the hallway.  You are saying I cannot go up the
stairs.   If I need to go to the fifth level, I have to walk all the way
around the tower five times

For instance, lets say the hallway is 200 feet per circuit and the tower is
10 mage layers high.  (20 actual due to the interlacing).

In a conventional tower design, this puts me some 20 to 30 feet between
floors for a 200 foot high tower.   If I go up stairs between floors, its 30
feet.  To get to the fifth level, I have to go up 5 flights of conventional
stairs for a transit distance of 150 feet, plus up to 100 feet on the final
floor (walking around the tower either direction) to get from entrance hall
to destination.  maximum travel distance from entrance hall to destination,
250 feet - available hallway to have rooms along is just under 2000 feet
along 10 corridors.  Not bad!  I'll give that an 8 efficiency rating
(2000/250=8)

Now lets look at this mage tower's effectiveness.  There are no stairs.  If
I want to get to the start of the second level I have to walk 200 feet.  The
Third, 400, etc.  To get to the fifth level, I have to walk 1000 feet - not
a ramp, as you say, but still five circuits of the tower.  Maximum distance
from the entrance hall to destination, 1000 feet - four times as far as the
conventional tower.  I'll give that a 2 efficiency rating (2000/1000)
despite the fact the corridor is arranged in a tower, i cannot use the
folding.  one quarter the movement efficiency.

Now lets compare that to a single loop, 2000 feet long.  Think of it like a
city block. sized massive hole so you can't enter the middle of the block..
 You place a single line of rooms around the track at the edge of the
massive hole.  Divide it into 10 equal part 200 foot sections (the floors)
and place the entrance hall at an arbitrary point.  In order to get to any
particular destination, you have to walk up to 1000 feet - one way or the
other around the hole - four times as far as the conventional tower. an
identical movement efficiency to not being in a tower at all.

The point of using a tower is that the distance from Floor A Staircase 1 to
Floor B Staircase 1 is 30 feet, not 200 feet.

Your tower as I understand it is four times harder to move around in by
distance than a tower with stairs *despite* its use of 3 dimensional space.

Do you understand?

Skylos

--
"If only I could get rid of hunger by rubbing my belly" - Diogenes

!DSPAM:4c6d128f235951804284693!