[Mkguild] Introductions Cycle: Seeking Absolution

Ryx sundansyr at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 11 05:30:33 UTC 2010

            "Those sins are?" the boy priest prompted, his face taking on a
serious mien.  He leaned to one side of the chair, resting one elbow on the arm
as he steepled his fingers, resting his chin on his upraised thumbs.  Llyn could
imagine how he might have looked in that chair when he listened to the
admissions of his acolytes in Allcaran, filling the large frame, elbows resting
on both arms, fingers steepled before his previously aged face.  She banished
that image with a brief shake of her head, whiskers pulling back as she realized
he would never again be the man he once was.
            "I killed, father." She nodded slowly, the first words she had ever
given him in any of her other confessions the few times she had been able to go
before him in his rare visits in the past.  For almost anyone that would not be
an unusual sin around Metamor, for slaughter was one of the natures of Metamor.
Few would have cause to say those words in the past few years, though, save
those who patrolled her borders, or beyond them as Llyn and her compatriots
did.  The boy priest merely nodded, listening closely.
            Gathering her breath, she looked up and continued, "I took an
innocent into danger, and was unable to protect her from harm." She sighed,
frowning.  Jylian had not returned, which very well meant that she had run afoul
of Lutins or some other creature and no longer lived.  That the innocent young
bat had come to such an untimely end left a cold stone of sorrow in her heart,
one more among the many she had found chilling her blood in the past few days.
            "How did you do this?" Hough asked quietly, his eyes inquisitive.
            "She followed me on patrol, and I did not learn of her presence
until we were too far into enemy territory to turn about."  Llyn supplied in as
general a description as she could.  The Long Patrol was not open to the Keep in
general quite yet, and thus their activities had to be kept as quiet as
possible.  She knew that Hough's dictates demanded that he say nothing of her
confessions to any other, even his own superiors, but the less information she
released the better.
            "She went of her own free will?"
            Llyn nodded, her whiskers twitching.  Her tail switched from side to
side behind the simple, upholstered chair she had deposited herself in, arms
resting in her laps for the chair itself lacked any rests.  "Of her own
bullheaded stubbornness."  Hough merely nodded briefly.  Llyn looked back down
at her slender feet once more, flexing the short, brown claws of her toes
briefly before looking back up and meeting the boy priest's alert eyes.
            "I practiced magic, father." She managed to choke out at length, her
hands clutching together in her lap as she confessed that sinister truth.
Father Hough's eyebrows shot up on his unblemished brow, his eyes growing wide
though he did not otherwise move from his pose of attentive alertness.
            "You, my daughter?" he queried, the expression on his face one of
curious amazement.  "How?"
            "I was given an item by someone, a skunk, I met on my patrols.  He
said that, when I received his signal, I was to break and release the magic he
had placed in it."
            "So you did not cast the magic yourself?"
            "No, Father, but I…" her voice failed as she looked away, her eyes
coming to rest on the array of ceremonial garments hung along the opposite wall.
            "You did not yourself cast magic, merely utilized an item of magic?
To what end?"
            "To destroy a threat to Metamor." Was all she could supply, still
not looking toward the priest.  Her eyes settled upon a woodcut hung on the wall
behind his desk detailing some liturgical scene, but she could not see it.  She
could only see the vision of the blue flash that escaped the brittle twig when
she snapped it, and the brighter flash glaring briefly from beneath those huge
towers.
            "For the greater good, in other words."
            Blinking, she lowered her gaze to the boy seated in the chair on the
opposite side of the desk from her.  He was lost in that massive frame of wood
and upholstery, but it seemed as much a part of him as his rumpled vestments.
"I guess you might say that, Father." She supplied before trailing off and
looking away.  A sullen silence hung in the air between them for the span of a
few breaths.
            "What other sins have you to reveal, my daughter?" the priest's
voice was pitched low, a curious tone within it that brought her gaze back to
him once more.  She blinked, momentarily at a loss for words.  "Your fur is
streaked, Joy." He supplied, his fingers unsteepling briefly as he raised one
index finger and placed the tip of it just below his left eye, trailing it down
and away.  Tears.
            The fur of her muzzle was still streaked with the tears brought upon
by her brief, anguished dialogue with Caroline.  She quickly raised her hands
and roughed her cheeks, banishing the dark streaks in a brief moment of violent
self-flagellation.  The young priest merely raised his eyebrows and watched,
steepling his fingertips once more, resting them against his lips.  "I…" she
began, then let out a sigh and slumped back in her chair, tail falling as her
whiskers drew back, short ears switching rearward briefly in consternation.  "It
is ancient, father, a sin I fear to be greater even than magic."
            Father Hough raised an eyebrow, looking suddenly ten years older
than the physical appearance of his changed body.  He tapped his steepled
fingertips lightly upon his lips as he waited to hear what horror she had to
confess to him.
            "Do you know what happened to the otter Caroline Hardy, father?" the
mink asked at length, looking up briefly.
            Hough nodded slowly, "I officiated Craig's funeral.  I know why they
are raiding the old keep north of the dikes, though I do not exactly approve."
            Llyn shrugged one shoulder and nodded, "What happened to her…
happened to me." She forced that out, gritting her short, sharp teeth as she bit
off the words, her furred lips peeled back in distaste.  Hough fell back in his
chair, his mouth falling open for a moment in true childish shock, fingers
splaying as his eyes went wide.  Llyn sighed, frowning, and looked down at her
hands once more.
            "Four years ago, not long after I joined the close patrol, I was
working the southern borders, between Metamor and the northern midland
baronies." She ground her molars, the confession bringing that entire dark
affair boiling up from her memories like fetid grease from a cook's cesspit.  "A
human claiming the title of Side Show Moe and his men trapped me, threw me in a
cage." She brought her head back up, looking toward the young priest but only
seeing the stark black bars of her cage, the leering faces beyond as they carted
her beyond the influence of Metamor's curse.
She raised her hands, clutching at either side of her angular animalistic head,
digging her claws deep into her fur to rake across the back of her jaw line,
eyes brimming with anguished tears as she felt herself reliving the horrors of
those days.  "They raped me, Father." She cried, tears streaming freely now,
voice ending in a choked howl.  "For a fortnight, I was theirs."  She closed her
eyes, raking her face with her fingers, the sharp pain of her claws helping to
push back the horrific memories.  She did not see the sudden shudder that raced
through the priest as his own memories came bubbling violently to the surface.
His own capture, torture, and abuse at the hands of the late lord of Lorland.
Llyn could feel the boy priest's hands upon her arms as he responded to her
growing alarm; she could hear his consoling alto voice in her ears.
            But she was lost in her memories, that touch the touch of her
captors as they dragged her from her cage, the jeering jibes of the burly
mercenaries under the trapper's command ringing in her ears.  She rocked in the
chair, her eyes clamped tightly shut, thrashing out against the hands that
contained her, hissing at the voices.
            Only a sudden, rattling strike across her jaw brought her eyes open
with a start, her chair briefly leaning to one side before she instinctively
balanced herself again.  She blinked, choking off a brief cry and sucked in a
gasp of air.  The face that swam into focus before her was not the mustachioed
visage of Moe, but the concerned image of a concerned boy.  He was holding one
of her wrists, the other hand held low by his hip.  She had to blink again as
she saw a strop held securely in that small hand, his body shaking as he
regarded her.
            Blinking away her tears, she flexed her hands spasmodically, the
sharp bite of her claws ceasing as she rubbed at her eyes with the heels of her
palms.  "I am sorry, father." She quavered, choking back the last of her sobs,
suddenly finding herself utterly exhausted.  The boy sighed, relaxing as he
settled back upon his heels, releasing her wrist.  He looked down at his other
hand, his face drawn into a distasteful moue as he cast aside the leather strop.
            "All is well, my child, all is well." He reassured her, stroking the
soft, short fur of her shoulder consolingly, "I must apologize as well, for I
struck you."
            Joy could not help but giggle, choking a bit as she wiped at the
tears soaking into the fur of her cheeks once more.  "You stropped me." She
claimed, her voice giddy with unrestrained emotion.

            Hough grimaced, and nodded.  "I could not bring you around with a
slap, Joy, I am not quite that strong anymore.  You were doing harm to
yourself."
            "I know, I know, and I forgive you father." She reached out and
pulled him into a hug, a startled squeak escaping the smaller priest.  "I hid
that entire event, I lied and avoided question about it." She admitted
breathlessly as she released him, "Eventually folks ceased asking about my two
week absence, and I buried it as deeply as I could."
            "Until now?"
            "Until I saw what they had done to Caroline." She nodded, "It
brought the memories back, I knew I could not keep them silent forever."
            "Does speaking of them help?" Hough asked, pulling himself up onto
the front edge of the desk, resting his hands upon his knees as his feet dangled
before the heavy desk.  The mink nodded, rubbing one of her eyes with the second
knuckle of one finger.  "In not speaking of it before you did commit a sin, my
daughter, but an understandable one.  In using magic in the aid of Metamor I can
see no sin.  In taking another into danger, of their own stubborn will or not,
as an innocent there was a sin committed.  In slaying the enemies of what we
hold dear and good in the defense of your own life there is little sin, but no
true evil intent." The boy priest rubbed his chin briefly with one hand,
contemplating the molding around the ceiling of the small room.
            "In penance for your secret I ask that you conduct a prayer at each
station of the cross, and for the rest…" he paused, pondering, then smiled,  "I
ask that you select one of the statues within the chapel, then clean and polish
it."  He giggled, the infectious sound carrying over to the mink, who merely
nodded and giggled back, still giddy from the sudden release of a darkness that
had weighed heavily upon her soul for many years.  "You can come by tonight
after Vespers to conduct your absolution." He hopped down from the desk, walking
to the door, "Most will be gone by then, and I would be more than willing to
listen to your secrets.  I would like you to contemplate what you have so long
hidden from everyone, and yourself, and tell me of your observances when you
return this evening." He opened the door and preceded her into the chapel behind
the altar, which Llyn suddenly noted was far shorter behind that in front,
allowing for the shorter stature of the priest.  Truly, Kyia had provided well
for him.  "Yet for now I fear I must prepare for the Prime services."
            The mink nodded as she roughed away the last of the streaks left by
her tears, giving Hough a thankful hug, then bowing before him.  Clasping his
hand, he raised it to her lips in a brief supplication.  Father Hough smiled at
the hug, then giggled with boyish glee at the supplication, ruffling the fur
between the mink's ears with his other hand, shooing her on her way.
            Walking the length of the chapel on feet lightened with the
unburdening of her soul, Llyn smiled as she gathered up her weapon from the rack
within the vestibule.  Strapping it on, she left the chapel as she fastened the
buckle of her sword belt.  Placing her hand upon the hilt she proceeded down the
long passageway just as the first solemn tones of the Prime services pealed from
the huge bells within the new bell tower ensconced in the shadows of Channing's
tower.
            Suddenly she came to a sharp halt, her entire body swaying as a
sudden fierce desire raced through her, setting her fur on end, causing her to
clutch the pommel of her sword with an iron grip.  Spinning about, her face set
in a rictus snarl, she almost took a step back toward the chapel, the sudden
nearly overwhelming need that claimed her urging her forward.  She did not take
that step though; she found she could not.  A sudden panic had arisen within her
along with that burning desire, subsuming it in terror and causing her to fall
limply against one of the cold granite balustrades of the arcade through which
she was walking.  Sucking in a steadying breath, she shook her head in confusion
and continued on her way, her steps once more subdued.
            What she could not understand, though, was why she suddenly had that
sudden desire to slay Father Hough.

!DSPAM:4c3956fb168061804284693!