[Mkguild] Patrol IV

Jack Moore jackthefrilledlizard at gmail.com
Mon May 23 01:41:49 UTC 2016

Patrol IV

May 17th, 697
It wasn't quite nine years ago, but it almost was. Nine long years and yet
I could remember the days perfectly. It's been even longer but I still
remember. As an old man one of the only things I have are my memories, both
the good and the bad.
It was warm that day and the breeze was blowing from the ocean. I could
smell it, the wafting sea air and the smells of Isenport up to the manor.
Fish, alcohol, sailors and human traffic, all wonderful comforts from home.
Isenport is a half-circle shaped city that grows narrower the further you
get from the docks. Just outside of the city on the top of the hill is a
crumbling castle. This used to be Isenport Keep, now it was the Old Keep.
In its shadow lay a stately manor house my grandfather built. It was a
four-story wood and stone thing with as many windows as you could get away
with. It was a rectangle shape with smaller buildings scattered all around,
connected by crushed stone paths that spread like spider-webs.
The manor had white washed walls with big gates to let in wagons.  In the
center was a stone courtyard where a fountain was and where executions were
carried out.  The building was a rectangle but it contained alleys and
multiple layers.
The manor house was not built to withstand sieges. It had no portcullises,
no towers and no crenellations, just a large rectangular house with a tacky
number of windows.  It did though have three dining rooms, a ballroom, a
grand hall and eleven chimneys.  It was proof my grandfather knew how to
live.
It was also proof that my grandfather had no concept of hubris. He figured
we were far enough into Imperial territory we wouldn't have to worry about
assault by land and anyone attempting to assault us by sea would have to
get up the hill to us.
Remember this for the future. It will be quite important.
My room was on the second floor, back left corner of the rectangle. I awoke
as I always did, on silk sheets with my head buried in goose down pillows.
Light streaming in through two windows revealed a cherry wood desk, velvet
cushioned chairs, wooden swords and weapons laying against the wall, among
other things you should expect a noble child to have.
I lay in silence in my bed for only a few minutes. I wasn't waiting long.
The door too my room opened and a trio of servants entered. Each one
carried with a covered dish, the oldest of them also carrying a glass.
"Good morning master James." They said in unison.
"Yeah I guess." They sat dishes in front of me; the youngest woman (blond
hair, large firm breasts, Cressida I think) tucked a napkin into my
nightshirt collar. Oh the difficulties of life that a rich child has to
suffer.
In my doorway stood a fourth figure, this one both rougher and more
distinguished than the other three. He wore leather armor instead of the
black livery of the other three and his side bulged with a sword strapped
too it. My face lit up when I saw him.
"Tallis!" He grinned now.
"I see I caught you during breakfast young master." Sir Tallis shifted in
the doorway. "I'll be waiting for you to finish. You've got a long day
ahead of you." I grinned and began to scarf down herring and apples.
Sir Tallis was my guardian and my friend. Ever since an assassination
attempt when I was four, my father made sure I was guarded at all times.
There had since been another six attempts, but I had survived all of them.
Yes they'd tried to kill me seven times thus far. This is how the noble
houses in the Sathmore Empire work; we are either allies, trying to kill
each other, or trying to replace the Emperor. You get used to it in time.
"A long day?" I asked, my excitement quickly dropping.
"You have to meet with your tutors today as you know." Oh not the tutors.
"And you have a meeting with your dancing instructor." This time I did
wince. The other three servants slipped out of the room but Sir Tallis
stayed with me. "James, you have to do this."
"I hate dancing." I said. "I'm horrible at it."
"I know James." Sir Tallis said. "I've seen you." Sir Tallis was with me at
every one of my activities in case someone should try to kill me for bad
dancing. Or whenever I ate a meal. And he waited outside when I went to the
privy.
My falcons free lofted but I remained tethered to a knight at all times.
Such is the life of the son of a lord. You envy it and then you live it.
How did my twenty-two-year-old self so forget that?
"What else do I have to do?" I asked.
"Your father wants more sword practice today." I clenched my sheets in my
little fist. "You're getting better James. Now we're-"
"I'm terrible." I interrupted. "I don't want to sword fight anymore."
Please Wvelkim, give me a storm. Sadly the god of the seas had something
more important to do. I did talk to the gods when I was young. They never
did respond.
I still remembered the names of all the gods then. That tells you how long
ago this was my friend.
"You are getting better." Sir Tallis smiled at me. "Eventually you'll teach
me a thing or two." I forced a smile. My herring had by now gone cold but I
kept eating it anyway. "It's a sign you're becoming a real man."
"I don't wanna be a real man." I mumbled. Breakfast was now finished and
Sir Tallis opened the door. Without needing to be called the trio of
servants returned and swept away my food. Even as I stood new servants
arrived to help me dress.
No I was not allowed to dress myself. You can't expect the noble brat to
put on his own tights can you? I eventually shook the grabby hands of my
servants off and smoothed out my hose.
"I'm fine I'm fine." I mumbled. The two behind me slithered off, never
saying a word. I sat down in one of my father's fine oak chairs and
readjusted my slashed sleeves. "Why they gotta dress me so fancy?"
"'Why do they have to' James, talk properly." Sir Tallis said. I rolled my
eyes. "Your father doesn't dress himself except on the road. It's part of
being a noble, you have to set yourself above other people."
"Why do I gotta do that?" I asked. "I want friends."
"You can't be friends with your subjects James." Sir Tallis said. "You are
the future Lord." I groaned.
"I don't wanna be Lord, I wanna have fun and I don't wanna sword fight." I
kicked at my chair. I know Sir Tallis sympathized with me but he didn't say
anything. He put his big rough hand on my shoulder. "I hate my father."
"Don't say that James."
"I do! I hate him!" My protector sighed.
"If my son told me that, I'd slap him." I looked up at my stern faced
protector. His hand never left my shoulder but his grip grew tighter.
"You have a son?" I asked.
"Yes and a wife. I love them very dearly. I also have a father, still
alive. I consider every day he lives a blessing from the Divines." A few
strands of close cropped hair flopped down over Sir Tallis face. He shook
them back up. "You should look upon your father and brother as such as
well."
"Half-brother." I said. "And I don't. I hate my family." This really
annoyed my protector. He snorted.

"Family is a precious gift the gods have given us. Family is our chance to
not be alone and to be loved. How many animals get that?"
"Go ask them." I snapped. "Leave me alone!" Sir Tallis forced a smile on.
"What?"
"Remember how I said you had to have more sword training? Well it's the
first activity for today." I groaned even louder.
"It's first? I don't wanna do it!"
"I know James." Sir Tallis said.

"But why do I gotta learn this at all?" I whined. "We got a navy, they can
protect us." To his eternal credit, Sir Tallis thought about this.
"I admit I don't know when you'll be in combat." Sir Tallis said. "I
actually asked your father once. The only thing he said was 'A lord must
know combat.' I thought for personal defense, but your father doesn't carry
a sword." He shrugged his shoulders. "If it's any consolation, I've thought
of an answer."
"Which is?" He now smiled for real.
"We do it to make your father happy." Sir Tallis said. "Because if he's
happy, you get to spend some time with your falcon. Like say, right after
glaive training?" Now it was my turn to grin.
"I get some falconry time today?" Sir Tallis nodded. I let out a happy
laugh. "Then let's get going!" I took off running as fast as I could.
"James! Wait for me!" I didn't hear him. All I could hear was the sound of
wings flapping in my ears.