[Mkguild] Clean Getaway

cokane8116 at aol.com cokane8116 at aol.com
Tue Oct 18 06:31:01 UTC 2016

   This takes place right after Stealth's Scenic Route!

   Chris
   The Lurking Fox

A Clean Getaway
by Stealthcat and Christian O'Kane

   "NO!" Finbar shoutedas he paced Misha's office. "I didn't like it then and I still don't!"

   "He is yourbrother," Misha countered. "Whether you like it or not!"

   "Half brother,"Finbar snarled. "Half! The bad half!"

   "Oh Finbar,"Caroline softly. "Don't think like that."

   "It's true, lutins havedone nothing but kill, pillage and rape," Finbar said and shook his head.

   "Not all of them,"Misha said. "You've seen some of the things the lutins have made,buildings they have built."

   "Weapons," Finbarcountered. Swords and spears. And the only buildings they've built are castles.Killing things. That's all they know. And Khelrag is no different. He wants toconquer the Giantdowns. Just like Nasoj."

   "Probably," Mishacommented. "But unlike all the other conquerors this one wants to befriends with Metamor instead of trying to take it."

   "It's just a trick,"Finbar snarled.

   "How do you knowthat?" Caroline responded.

   "It can't be true,"Finbar countered. "Lutins only lie, steal, kill and destroy."

   "Perhaps he islying,"  Misha said slowly."But there is only one way to find out. Everyone deserves a chance. If Ididn't give people a chance you wouldn't be a Long Scout."

   Finbar didn't speak but justscowled.

   Suddenly the door burst openand a figure rushed in. The person was covered with mud, dirt and the raggedremains of clothes and bandages. He barely recognized it as Stealth. The figurestaggered over to the desk. He slammed a metal cylinder onto it with a loadthump that sent everything on it dancing. “Someone... did not want you to getthis," he said in a hoarse whisper. Then Stealth turned to leave. Thefeline moved away from the desk, staggering a few steps.

   They watched him for a moment until Finbargrabbed him by the arms and Stealth gradually slumped down until the ferretbore all his weight and had to ease him onto the floor. “I killed him.” Finbarexclaimed.

   “Medic!” The fox cried out. "Get ahealer in here fast!"

   Misha dropped to his knees onto the floornext to feline. He could see the crudely bandaged wounds. Thinking quickly hetore a piece off of his shirt and used the clothe to make a crude bandage.

   Jotham stormed into the room with a satchelin hand. Who's . . " He started to ask. Then he spotted Stealth stretchedout on the floor. Without a word the Long scout knelt down next to the cheetahand set to work.

   "What happened?" Jotham asked ashe pulled bandages, swabs and a bottle of antiseptic from his satchel.

   "I don't know yet," the fox responded."He stumbled into my office, dropped something onto my desk and collapsed.How is he?"

   "Blood loss and exhaustion mostly. Weneed to get him to the infirmary," the healer announced without stoppinghis work.

   Allart appeared in the door with a stretcherand in a few moment it was placed on the floor. Then Stealth was gently placedonto it. Allart took one end of stretcher and Jotham the other. Quickly but efficiently they bore the stretcher out of the room.

   Misha paused at the door and spotted thecylinder still laying on his desk. He swiftly picked it up and looked at it amoment. The fox recognised a small seal on one end as belonging to Nestorius.Misha turned and saw the Longs hustling his friend to the infirmary. Hisinstincts told him to race after them and help his friend. But Stealth was inthe care of experts, all he could do would be to stand and watch. The fox satdown at his desk with the cylinder in front of him. Whatever was inside someoneconsidered it important enough to try and kill Stealth.

   The Long scout opened thecylinder and found it contained several sheets of paper all tightly bound incord. There was also a single paper left separate. That paper bore the seal andemblem of Nestorius. Misha opened it and found a note from the lion.

   "We need to take care ofthese people Misha. Quickly. I was able to intercept some of theircommunications and I am forwarding them to you. They are enclosed and willexplain why."

   "Nestorius."

   He untied the string holdingthe papers and examined each of the sheets inside. Misha found several maps anda list of people's names. Misha noted Thomas's was at the top. Another paperheld a letter between the conspirators. The fox carefully read each line. Hisanger growing with each word read.

   "No. I believe that beforeThomas can be removed we need to deal with the Long Scouts first and finish thejob the lutins started! Then we can move in and get rid of all those mangyanimals grubbing around in the dirt. When they are gone then the others willstrike."

   The letter was signed AlthrickAlfington.

   "ANIMALS!": Mishasnarled. Misha grabbed the sheets in both papers. It took all the self controlto not rip the papers up. He carefully placed the papers onto his desk takingthe time to smooth out one wrinkled corner. Then he turned and walked to thewall where there was a door leading to a closet.

   "ANIMALS ARE WE!" Heshrieked and punched the closet door with all his might. CRACK! Splinter flewin all directions. "Why can't those idiots just accept us." CRACK! Hepunched the door again.

   Misha walked to the door ofhis office and threw it open. He found Finbar and Caroline standing there."What?"

   "You were making a lot ofnoise dear," Caroline said softly.

   "I guess so," Hesaid softly. "How is Stealth?"

   "Good," Carolineanswered. "Coe is working on him now."

   "I'm glad to hearthat." He turned to Finbar. "Gather all the Longs together. Everyoneis to meet here when I get back."

   "Where are yougoing?" Finbar asked.

   "To see Thomas,"Misha snapped. "We need to plan to kill some people."

**********

   The room was silent as Thomas readthe documents. The only sound to be heard was the occasional rustle of paper.Finally the Duke placed the documents down onto the table.

   "Well?" Misha askedin a cold tone.

   "I never realized thethreat was so serious." The Duke tapped the sheaf of documents with onefinger. "Can this plan succeed?"

   "No," Georgeanswered flatly with a shake of the head.

   "Agreed," Andwynadded. "But it could cause some serious trouble. Something we do not need atthis time."

   Thomas dropped the papers ontothe table in front of him. "What of this Althrick Alfington? What is helike? I only know of him from formal visits. I remember him as cool anddistant."

   "He has been cold anddistant," Andwyn commented. "I believe he's been involved withsmuggling. I was aware that he was unsatisfied and greedy for power. But he'spetty and vindictive. That's limited him to a nuisance till now."

   "He's stopped being anuisance," George responded. "And needs to be killed."

   "Where did Nestorius getthis information?" The stallion asked as he pointed to the papers.

   "It seems theconspirators made the mistake of trying to recruit him," Misha answered."And the lion took his own measures to deal with the problem."I'vetried contracting him but all I got was a message that he was busy dealing withan issue."

   "Which means he isdealing with other conspirators right now," George commented. "I'vesent a team to Hareford but the lion is probably in no danger."

   "It would have beenbetter if he had come to us earlier," Andwyn snapped. "Instead ofbeing so secretive."

   "Nest is a person ofsecrets," George said. "He loves secrets. Any secrets. ALL secrets.He probably keeps his shoe size a secret from the cobbler."

   "When can you deal withthis?" Thomas asked ignoring the canine's joke.

   "He must be aware that weknow about his plans," Misha answered. "So we need to strike fast,before he can escape."

   "I want them aliveMisha," The Duke ordered.

   Misha laid his ears flat andhis tail switched back and forth swiftly. "Thomas! They deserve onlydeath."

   "No discussions onthis," the duke ordered. "I will have them stand judgment."

   "That's more than theywould give you or me," Misha commented harshly.

   Thomas nodded in agreement."I know but we will not descend to their level of barbarity."

   "Yes Lord Thomas,"the fox answered briskly. "I will do it. It does make things morecomplicated."

********************

   Caroline was dressed in fullarmor. The heavy chainmail shirt that nestled snuggly against her body showedheavy use but was as tough and sturdy as ever. Resting on the floor at her feetwas a bow and arrows. Dangling from her belt was a short sword. She was sittingin a chair a short distance from where Stealth rested in his bed. Aside from thechair the otter was sitting on there was the bed the cheetah was on. A nicebouquet of flowers sat on the night stand adding a splash of color to theotherwise drab room. Through the open doorway came the voices of other patientstalking and the antiseptic smell that seemed to pervade every corner of theinfirmary.

   "Do you needanything?" Caroline asked trying to sound pleasant and not bored.

   Stealth was sitting up in bed,propped up y some pillows behind him. He had one hand bandaged and another onecovered most of his chest. Even through his fur it was easy to see all thebruises. His ears drooped and he looked down at the bed. "No,"Stealth answered softly

   "What happened outthere?" The otter asked. "You're pretty bruised and battered."

   "I was ambushed and felldown an embankment." Stealth answered, "Then they got me again so Iditched my armor and snuck away. I spent all night hiding and sneaking throughthe woods."

   She nodded and gave a chirp oflaughter. "You had an exciting trip. Who was after you?"

   "I never saw hisface." the feline answered bluntly. He lightly touched his right shoulderwhich was swelled up from the punishment it had taken. Stealth winced as thepain lanced through him. "I could see someone out there but no more."

   "An expert scout, nodoubt," Caroline said. "But he failed to stop you from delivering thepackage. You were better than he was."

   "And yet here Iam..." Stealth patted the bed with one hand, trying to ignore the painthat raced up his arm and shoulder.

   "You survived," theLong Scout said bluntly with a wave of the hand. ":And delivered thepackage. He failed on both counts."

   Stealth didn't answer butsimply looked out the window. A silence descended on the room that lasted forseveral minutes.

   Caroline also looked out thewindow and sighed deeply. "I wish I was with the Longs."

   The cheetahs ears perked up. "They'redoing something big?"

   "A very importantmission." Caroline sighed. "All the Longs are out on it and I'm stuckhere."

   Stealth cocked his head to one side. "Miss out on all theexcitement?" The feline asked.

   She stood up and walked to thewindow. "Yes. Misha wouldn't let me go on this mission. I think he'sprotecting me."

   "Well, you are his fiancé," Stealth commented."He's bound to want to see you protected."

   The otter paced back and forth as hertail whipped back and forth. "I'm not a little girl anymore. I'm an adultand an experienced scout. I should be out there with them!"

   "I'm sorry,Caroline," Stealth's ears drooped.

   The otter stopped, turned andlooked at him. "Why? It's not your fault. Someone had to keep an eye onyou in case your assassin makes another try."

   The feline cringed and lookedaway. "Caroline, what was in that parcel? What's going on?"

   "It was a map and noteson an attempt to kill Duke Thomas." she explained and started pacingagain. "It gave all the details. And after today you won't have to worryabout any assassin."

   Stealth looked at her. "Butthat's not why you're here."

   The otter morph sat down nextto Stealth. "No . . . I   . ." she paused for a moment."I don't know."

   She felt a hand on hers. Carolinetook hold of Stealth's hand and squeezed it lightly

********************

   The troops guarding the townhad been lax to the point of ludicrousness. The Longs had simply walked pastthe guards at the gate. No one had stopped them or bothered them in any way.After taking a long circuitous route through the town the group finally arrivedat a small brick building located on a back street. A sign over the entrancehad the image of a dragon holding a large gold flagon that had ale sloshingover the top.

   Walking through the doorunderneath the sign took the group into a room. At this early hour the manytables and chairs in the common room were mostly empty and the large fireplacehad only a low fire in it.

   Misha looked far differentfrom his usual appearance. A painstakingly complete dye job and makeup and theattachment of a remarkably real looking ear had disguised Misha. Now he lookedlike a gray fox with no scar on his face and still possessing both ears.

   A young woman came out of adoor and raced across the room. "Welcome to the Dragon and FlagonInn," she said with a broad smile on her face.

   Misha bowed to the woman."My name is Ulric Witherslee. I believe you have a room for me?"

   The smile vanished from thewoman's face and there was surprise there. But just as suddenly it vanished,replaced by the smiling facade. "Of course! If you'll follow me I'll takeyou there myself."

   The room was a good sized one.It contained a half dozen beds and a large table. "This will do fine. Thankyou," Misha said and handed the young girl a silver coin. "If youneed something please ask." Without another word she turned and left,closing the door behind her. Finbar opened the door and checked to be sure thegirl had left and no one was there. Georgette and Danielle searched the roomthoroughly checking under the bed and even opening the window. Only when allthree had finished and silently hand signed to Misha the all clear did the foxstart to speak. "All right, we need to move fast on this. I need acomplete exam of the castle and its defenses. We need to know if the target isstill there. One final thing. No killing," Misha ordered coldly.

   "No? That's not fair!"Finbar snarled. "It puts us all at risk."

   Misha shook his head. "Noarguments on this. That order comes from the Duke himself. These people are theenemy but they are still subjects of the duke. We have to work carefully onthis. No dead bodies and as little damage as possible."

   "You're jokingright?" Meredith said, shaking his head.

   "No," the scoutleader responded. "Thomas was very clear on that. We cannot leave a trailof dead bodies. If we do it could result in the very political chaos we'retrying to avoid."

   "I hate politics!"Jotham muttered.

***************

   A day of surveillance, fourhours of careful and a long stealthy approach had gotten them close to thefortress. So far the security was terrible. The patrols in the street neverbothered them and the scouts simply walked about at will. There should havebeen people walking along the outer edge of the moat but there wasn't. The moatalthough wide was dry and not deep and in the darkness they easily climbed downone side and walked across its flat bottom. This brought them to the base ofthe walls that surrounded the castle. Overhead he could hear several guardstalking to each other. The noble leader had posted one every two paces alongthe battlements. Security was very high at the castle. There were so manysoldiers stationed at the castle's only gate that Misha didn't bother trying toenter there. But there was more than one way to enter a fortress even if thecastles occupants didn't know it.

   The fox looked down the walland at its base was a festering pile of waste. The most foul odor assaulted hissensitive vulpine nose. It was the stench of new and old human waste, dung andurine that had fallen there from the toilet located far above. The smell wasover powering and it took all his might to keep from throwing up.

   Misha stared up the wall andspotted the large opening about twenty feet up. "Oh crap."

   "There has to be adifferent way," Finbar signed silently with his hands.

Misha opened his backpack and took out two pair of thick, wool coveralls."No," the fox answered silently. "We've been through thisbefore. I wish there was another way but this is the only way in not guarded."  The fox handed one pair to Finbar and startedputting his own on.

   Finbar didn't move, but justshook his head slowly from side to side.

   Misha paused and looked at theferret. "Let's go!"

   "I know it stinks butcome on!" Misha signed but all he get was a slow shake of the head fromFinbar.

   "No," the ferretsigned in response. "I am not crawling through crap."

   "Fine, you do what youwant. I'm going up," The fox signed. Then he turned to the wall. The wallitself was of large, roughly cut stone blocks set with mortar. This left plentyof hand holds for the scout to exploit. The fox started climbing the wallplacing each hand and foot carefully. He tried not to think about the nastycrud that was encrusted on the stones he was gripping. Slowly he moved upwardsand soon the ground was lost below in the darkness. Looking down Misha couldsee the barely visible form of Finbar climbing the wall beneath him.

   Above him the fox heard the sound of woodslamming and a momentary flash of light.

   "Oh no!" The scoutsqueezed himself against the wall and tried to protect himself against what heknew was coming. He heard a grunting noise and heard and felt somethingdropping towards and then past him.

   Splat! His sensitive earspicked up the sound below him and he realized that Finbar had taken a directhit by the organic missile. A powerful smell overwhelmed the fox and Misharealized that he had taken a hit too.

   In spite over the overpoweringstench Misha could detect subtleties in the fecal smell. He could pick out thesmell of carrots and an underlying smell of beef with a mix of herbs andspices.

   "Oh lord, Misha saidsilently. "Who had the beef stew!"

   Finally the outline of the stone chute becomevisible above him a s square shaped that was slightly lighter in shade then thedarkness of the night. He had to resist the urge to move faster. It was hardenough climbing this wall in the dark without adding haste into it. One slipcould send him tumbling to the ground far below.

   Misha came to the stone chuteand slipped upward ignoring the powerful stench that now clogged his nose. Heclamped his muzzle shut tightly to avoid throwing up and deeply regrettedputting something over his nose to cover up the stench. Reaching the top of thechute he could see the  wooden seat andthe lid over it. Misha paused there for a moment listening to see ifanyone  above him. He suddenly had theimage of someone sitting down on that seat and him sticking the poor occupantin the butt with a dagger. but luckily for some castle occupant the room wasempty.

   Thankful for the gloves hiswas wearing Misha pushed up on the lid. He had to squint as a soft lightstreamed through the hole and blinded him for a moment. The fox grabbed old ofthe edge of the seat with both hands and pulled himself up out of the chute andinto the room above.

   He was standing in a smallroom, with only the single seat toilet. There was only a single wooden door andno windows. Hanging on the wall opposite the seat was a small painting of abouquet of bright, yellow flowers. Dangling from a hook below the picture was asmall string bag filled with  anassortment of scrap papers and leaves. Next to the door was a candle in a brassholder. It's small flame casting a wane light onto the room.

   The vulpine moved to the doorand listened for a moment. Then he cracked the door open slightly and peeredout. He saw a long hallway running off to the left and right. The floor wascovered with a carpet colored a deep blue and paintings lined the wall. For allthe decorations in it the hallway was devoid of any people. Misha closed thedoor and locked it.

   Misha stripped out of thecoverall and dropped the smelly apparel onto the floor with all due haste. Soonthe gloves and shoes joined them. From his pack he took out a large canteen.

   Finbar's head and shoulderspopped up through the toilet and With a soft grunt the ferret pulled himselfcompletely into the small room. Misha noticed that the ferret had a large brownstain down his right shoulder and back.

   The fox made some gestureswith his hands using the silent hand signals that proved so useful. "Allclear," he gestured.

  The ferret gave a short nod ofhis head. Then he set to stripping out of the coveralls he was wearing.

   Misha looked at his axe, whichhe had placed next to the window. "What?" He snarled. "Don't give me that attitude. Ididn't have any choice."

   He turned to find Finbarstanding there looking at him through squinted eyes.

   "She's not happy about andbeing dragged through a latrine chute," the fox explained.

   "I'm not happy about iteither," Finbar answered with a snarl. Then he took hold of Misha's tailand casually wiped the filth from his ears and face with it.

   Misha pulled his tail out ofthe ferrets hands and bared his teeth in a silent snarl. Without a hesitationFinbar stuck out his tongue and made a rude hand gesture. It seems he was stillupset about the whole trip.

   The vulpine took a wet clothand quickly wiped off the filth that had been deposited his tail. He picked upthe massive weapon and with a water and a fresh clothe cleaned the deadlyweapon of even the slightest trace of grim. "That's better!"

   Misha opened the door a smallway and peeked out into the corridor. It was as still and empty as the lasttime he had looked.  He stepped out intothe hallway and slowly walked down it with his powerful axe at the ready.

   Misha moved stealthily with hisaxe at the ready listening and looking for any sign of trouble. Behind himFinbar moved just as silently with a wickedly sharp dagger in each hand.

   The hallway was lined withpaintings and in spite of the danger Misha couldn't help but glance at each oneas he passed. One caught his attention and paused for a moment. It showed agroup of dogs seated at a round table playing cards. What really caught Misha'sattention was that it was painted not on canvas but on velvet. He shook hishead. It was the type of thing one might find for sale in the cheapest ofmarkets.

   The fox paused and looked atanother painting on the wall. The picture was of a portly man in ill fittingarmor that was covered with all manner of garish ornamentation. On his face wasa look of arrogant, smug pride. Behind him a large pillar of smoke and flamebillowed up from a burning city. Misha could just make out tiny figures lootingand pillaging the still burning city. A conqueror proudly standing in front ofhis conquest. Misha had to resist the impulse to rip the picture apart.

   Quickly he moved down thehallways trying to put the bad art behind him. They found a set of stairs that spiraledupwards and downwards into darkness. The two paused for a moment to be sure thestairway was empty before heading downwards. They stepped slowly following thebending stairway till it ended in a doorway.

   The two Long Scouts found themselvesin another corridor, as empty as the previous one. At this late hour no one wasmoving down the hallway but themselves. Finbar spotted another set of stairsand he and Misha made their over to it. This stairs seemed no different fromthe previous set and they went down it slowly, taking each step carefully. Thatcare paid off when the sounds of two voices in conversation wafted up to theirears.

   Misha stopped and Finbarhalted next to him. A flurry of hand signals passed back and forth between thetwo scouts. Reluctantly Misha slung his powerful axe across his back. From hisbelt he took out a small leather covered club less than a foot long. He gavethe blackjack a few swings to be sure it felt all right.

   The two scouts took the lastfew steps quietly and moved quickly through the doorway. They found themselvesin a small room with a quartet of guards. Each of the four men was dressed inarmor and carrying a long spear. All four turned and looked at the new arrivalsin surprise.

   The scouts reacted faster thanthe surprised guards. The fox charged straight at them throwing his leftshoulder into the first one. The man was sent tumbling backwards into a secondand both smashed into a table before the entire mess crashed to the floor.Finbar leapt into the air and flew into another guard, both feet smashing intothe man's chest. The guard flew across the room and slammed into a wall beforesliding to the floor. Misha charged the two he had attacked and with two sharpslaps of the blackjack both guards slumped to the floor unconscious. He turnedto find Finbar tying up both of the two remaining soldiers.

   Misha didn't waste any timebut moved to the large door set into one wall. He drew back the massive boltsthat kept the door locked and pulled open the door. To his great relief thefirst sight to greet him was the worried expression of Danielle. The rest ofthe Long Scouts hustled into the room. The large door was shut quickly behindthem.

   "It went well,"Misha said. "Disgusting but easy."

   "Let's get thisdone," Finbar snapped. "And get out of here quickly.

   "Our target should be tothe east and two floors up," Misha explained and pointed in thatdirection.

   "We have to be out oftown before dawn," Finbar added. "They are sure to discover theirleader is gone then."

   "Or sooner if they findthose four guards," Jotham commented.

   "Then let's stop chattingand get moving," Misha ordered. "I'll go first and Jotham you takethe rear and guard our tails."

   The scouts made their way downa hallway and turned down another before coming to an intersection. Misha cameto a halt just short of the intersecting corridor. To the right was a short hallwaythat ended at a door. Standing in front of the door was a pair of guards. Thesmall group quietly backed away.

   "Our target is beyondthat door," Misha signed silently. "At least according toAndwyn."

   "He must be inthere," Finbar commented with his hands. "It's the only guarded doorwe've found inside. Lot's outside but only these two inside."

   "We need them removedquietly and unharmed," Misha responded. He pointed to Danielle. "Yourturn. Do it quickly, before they can call out."

      The female pine martenmorph was standing quietly next to Finbar. She was wearing a simple, blue andbrown dress that made her look more like a servant then an intruder. Which washer intention. Danielle took a small pinch of sand from the pouch on her belt.Danielle spoke softly and quickly as she moved her hands in a series of complexgestures. At the last moment the female stepped into the corridor and tossedthe pinch of sand at the guards.

   The two sentries had a momentof surprise as they looked at the marten. One lifted his spear and opened hismouth to speak before both of them slumped to the floor, unconscious. Misha andFinbar sprinted the short distance down the corridor and up to the two sleepingsoldiers. The fox and the ferret confirmed that both guards were asleep andthen quickly removed all their weapons.

   Misha nodded as his tailswished back and forth in delight. His hands moved in silent communication. "Neatand quickly done," he said. "Well done."

   Finbar wrapped one arm aroundDanielle and licked her on the muzzle. She snuggled close to him for a moment.

   Misha walked up to the doorran his hand along the wood and metal as he examined it. The door was made ofdark, hard wood and bound with steel straps, hinges and lock. It was solidenough that it would probably withstand repeated pounding by a battering ram.

   "Can't smash thisdown," Jotham signed silently. "It would take too long."

   "And make too muchnoise," Georgette added using hand signals as well.

   "Can we pick thelock?" Misha asked. "Without making too much noise?"

   "It will take toolong!" Jotham responded. "Magic?"

   "Too messy. We could goup a floor and climb down to an outside window," Misha suggested.

   "That won't work!"Finbar muttered out loud, breaking the silence.

   Misha turned to find Finbarand Danielle huddled together and the midst of a quiet debate that involvedmuch arm waving.

   The pine martin morph shookher head ever so gently. "Why not?"

   Finbar opened his mouth tospeak but Danielle touched one furred finger to his nose quieting him. And muchto everyone's surprise Finbar remained quiet.

   Danielle turned and walked upto the massive door and before anyone could stop her she knocked three times onit. Each rap echoed loudly in the room beyond.

   "Who is it?" Came amuffled voice from behind the door.

   "I've come with yourefreshments my lord," Danielle said in a sweet and innocent soundingvoice.

   "Good," the voicesaid. After a moment they heard the round of a bolt being pulled back and theclick of the lock.

   The door opened revealing thegray and black furred face of a male wolf who was wearing a long, blue silkrobe.

   "Hi!" Misha saidcheerfully. "Thomas says hello!" And he punched the wolf dead squareon the muzzle.

****************

   The wolf responded faster thanMisha expected. He stumbled backward a few steps but then lashed out with akick as the Longs rushed him. Misha twisted hard but the wolf's powerful kickconnected with his chest sending the vulpine stumbling backward.

   Misha shook off the blow butby that time the other scouts had swarmed over the wolf and had him pinned tothe floor. Finbar was tying the nobles hands as Danielle pulled off his beltwith the dagger attached.

   The fox roughly pulled the wolfup into a standing position. "How dare you attack me. My people will killyou for this," the nobleman snarled.

   Finbar pulled out a daggerwith a wickedly sharp, pointed blade and waved it a hairs breadth from thenobleman's nose. "You're people will do nothing or I'll slit your throatmyself."

   "Who are you?" Thecaptive asked.

   "Don't recognizeme?" Misha asked sarcastically. "Not with this fake ear." Mishareached up and pulled off the bit of plaster and wood. This revealing that allthat remained of his left ear was a ragged stump.

   "You're Thomas' petscout. I'm not surprised he sent you. You and your people are always butcheringsomeone for him. You're nothing but a slayer and your clocks are rubbish!"The captive snapped and pointed to a table.

   Misha looked in the directionhe had pointed  and saw an ornate clockresting on the table.  From a distance itlooked like a well made piece of work made of fine wood and covered with goldleaf. It looked like one of his own Fadger clocks. But a closer look showed itwas cheap wood covered with lots of paint, varnish and gold paint. It wasn't aFadger clock it was one of those fakes that had plagued him for far too long.He picked up the clock in both hands. "You mean this one? It isn't one ofmy clocks." Misha flexed his muscles and crushed it with a loud crunch.

   One small piece of metalbounced off a Misha's nose and he snatched it out of the air with an almostreflexive move. It was a small rectangle of brass. On it was the all toofamiliar figure of a fox with only three legs. "Fudger," he said in atone that made it sound like the most foul curse.

   "Why can't I get rid ofyou," Misha muttered softly. He was tempted to just smash it but insteadhe tucked the little metal fox into a small pocket for safe keeping.

   "Now to get you out ofhere alive," Jotham says.

   Misha points to a wall whichwas covered with a large tapestry decorated with the image of a rearingunicorn. "Take that down it'll do nicely."

*****************

   The castle was still quiet atthis early hour of the morning. The only people moving about were a few servantsand the occasional soldier. A small group of people dressed like servants madetheir way openly through the hallways and corridors of castle Alington. Thelarge tapestry they were carrying had been carefully rolled up but was stillover ten feet long and an awkward burden.

   A pair of sleepy guards at thegate were more interested in breakfast and paid them little mind. Merely wavingthem through without even examining the large carpet. Nor did they notice thatit seemed to wiggle once in a while on its own.

   A short journey into town tookthem to a quiet alley where a group of horses awaited. The carpet was unwoundrevealing the captive noble alive and well but still bound and gagged. He wasthen wrapped in a large canvas sheet which was kept loose enough so that hecould still breath. Then the canvas object was slung over the saddle of a packhorse.

   By the time they were passingthrough the town gates the castle was in an uproar and the excitement wasspreading to the town as well. Soldiers and servants were racing about likeants whose anthill had been knocked over. The keepers with the carpet ignoredthe confusion and hustled through the gates and into the farmlands beyond. Onceout of arrow range of the town walls they broke into a gallop and quickly leftthe town and castle far behind.

******************

   The infirmary was quiet, theonly sounds was from a handful of healers and patients moving about. Mishaeasily made his way through the place weaving around the  people till he came to a doorway. Peeringinside he saw Stealth resting on a bed and Caroline seated next to it. Bothlooked up at the fox.

   Misha rushed up to Carolineand gave her a big hug. "How was it here?"

   The otter wrapped her armsaround her betrothed. "Quiet. Nothing happened. Just Stealth and metalking. How was the mission?"

   "Good, We got Athingtonand did not get anyone killed on either side." He responded and kissed heragain. "Thank you for watching over Stealth. It means a lot to me."

   "I'm glad you came backunhurt. Is it all over?" She asked.

   "Yes," Mishaanswered. "We snatched the leader and with him in a cell the rest of theplot seems to have fallen apart. So you're officially released from duty fortoday."

   "Thank you." Carolinewrinkled her nose. "Do you have any orders for us to carry out while youtake a bath?"

    "Tell the cook, no beefor pasta for the next few weeks."

   She looked at him a moment and looked asif she was about to speak but then hugged him again.

   Caroline walked over to thebed and gave Stealth a big hug. "You rest and recover."

   Stealth returned the huggently. "Thanks," he said and purred quietly.

   She gave Stealth a little paton the back and then turned and left the room.

   Misha walked over and sat downnext to Stealth. "How are you feeling?"

   "I'm stiff and sore allover from crawling around in the mud and snow," the feline answered.

   "The stiff and soremuscles will fade with time," Misha said and patted the feline on theshoulder gently.

   "You Longs crawl aboutwithout any trouble before breakfast," Stealth said as he rubbed his leftside gently.

   "And it's just as cold and wetfor us too!" The fox responded with a wag of his tail. "You did realwell Stealth. You showed considerable skill and courage."

   "I survived, that's what Idid," Stealth said flatly and shook his head.

   "You not only survivedbut you accomplished your mission," Misha countered.

   Stealth didn't speak but just lookeddown at the floor.

   Misha wrapped an arm aroundStealth's shoulders. "You saved a lot of lives my friend. You stopped theplotters from killing a lot of people.

   "What will happen tothem?" The feline asked.

   "For the moment they arein cells in the dungeon," Misha replied. "They'll be put on trial anda judge will decide their fate. Probably the Duke himself will decide."

   "What about the assassinwho tried to kill me?" Stealth asked.

   "I have a team out looking,"the fox answered. "We haven't found anything yet. But they did recoveryour armor and other possessions. I'll have it cleaned for you by the timeyou're ready to leave the infirmary."

   "Thank you!" Thefeline exclaimed.

   Misha closed the door to thetoilet and started to pull down his pants but he stopped. He buckled his beltand drew his dagger. Carefully and slowly he opened the lid and peered downinto the toilet. Only after a good long inspection did he finally sit to relivehimself. But he kept hold of the dagger anyway.

   The tired vulpine emptied hispockets onto his desk and discovered the metal plate with its all too familiar threelegged fox. Misha searched thru a desk drawer and pulled out a small scribingdevice. With a few short, deft strokes he fixed the foxes' leg. He looked athis handwork for a moment then pulled open a small drawer. In it was a cord necklacewith a decoration of a score or more of dried, shriveled colored objects. He stared at that necklace for a moment. Eachear was from someone he had killed, mostly lutins. At one time he had beenproud of this collection as it represented someone he had defeated and killed. Proudthat he had won and they lost. But now they seemed to represent a life cutshort and a time when he was little more than a wild animal. It was a timeMisha would rather forget. Caroline hated the necklace and wanted to destroy itbut the fox couldn't for reasons he just didn't understand.

   Misha hastily slid that drawerclosed and opened another one. "Here you go guys! I brought a litter matefor you to play with." In the drawer rested a dozen other metal plates allbearing the same, mended image. He gently placed the metal fox in the drawer withthe others and slid it shut.