[Mkguild] Life As We Know It XXXIX

Jack Moore jackthefrilledlizard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 02:51:23 UTC 2017

AN: And this is the end. Already working on the next one.

Life As We Know It - XXXIX

After spending twenty-four hours working on the case, figuring out every
aspect of this mystery and possibly saving Chamomile’s life I…got to do an
afternoon patrol.  When you’re short staffed that’s what you get.  My other
option was to spend the rest of my day writing a full report.
Instead Tibble got my notes and I got some fresh air.  And as my day came
to an end, I got one very naked Stoat.
“We are all animals and we need to embrace it!” The Stoat ranted as I
dragged him into the Watch House.  “We aren’t expected to be clothed as
ferals!”  I dragged him past a trainee Warden whose jaw dropped.
“Warden you’re going to see a lot of nudity in this job.” I said.  “You had
best get used to it.”  I had tried to cover him up with a cloth about five
times but the damn Stoat struggled so much I gave up and let him…bare all.
“We should embrace being animals!” The Stoat yelled, jabbing his foot claws
into the doorframe.  He held on surprisingly tight.
“Warden, a little help!”  The Warden, a tiny little mouse, helped me yank
the Stoat free.  “Thank you Warden.”
“You should embrace what you are!” The Stoat yelled.  “We are all animals!”
The Stoat then accidently slipped out of my hands and face first into a
wall.  I assure you, completely an accident.  And on the plus side the
Stoat was so stunned I was able to easily get him in a cell.
As I was leaving for the afternoon I ran into Remmie.  She looked almost as
tired as I did.  She smiled as we exited the Watch House.
“I’ve been meaning to talk to you.” Remmie said.  “I meant to yesterday
actually but uh, we got busy.”
“It’s been a busy twenty-four hours.” I said. “But we may have saved
someone’s life.  That counts for something.”  Remmie nodded.  “So what is
it you wanted to tell me?”
“Oh right!  That bull you’re looking for?  His name is Alvaro Velasco.
He’s a day laborer.”  My heart skipped a beat.  “Don’t know where to find
him but we could as soon as you wanted.”  I didn’t know what to say.  In
fact I didn’t say anything.  Instead I just stared off into space.  Remmie
waved her hands in front of me.
“Janie?  You there Janie?  This is your partner, calling you.”  I blinked.
“I…tomorrow.” I said.  “I’ll start looking tomorrow.  You can go home for
the day Remmie, I don’t need to involve you anymore.”  Remmie looked
concerned.
“You sure?”  I nodded.  “Okay.  Like, it’s no bother Janelle.  I love
helping you.”  I smiled.
“I appreciate that Warden.  I really do.” I said.  “Now I’ve got to get
some rest.  I will see you tomorrow.”  Heading home I kept thinking about
the bull.  Now I had a name for him.  All I had to do now was find him.
The fire was so warm on my aching body.  IT’s what I desperately needed
after this day.  The warmth relaxed my muscles and helped them unclench,
even if only a little.  There are few things quite as nice as laying beside
a roaring fire.
“Got you Mommy!” Kaysar chirped, scooping up two of my checkers.
“Very good Kaysar.” I said, before kissing his forehead.  This is one of
those few things.  Kaysar as usual won our game.  Maybe when he was older
I’d actually start playing.
“Again!” Kaysar said, clapping his hands. I smiled.
“We can.” I said. “Or, would you like to play Nine Men’s Morris?”  Kaysar
bit his claw.
“Morris!” I tussled at his guard fur.
“As you wish.” I flipped the board over and set up the game.  I leave you
dear listener with me and my son playing together.  Those are the loveliest
moments.
Those are a reason to live.