[Mkguild] Life As We Know It XV C

Jack Moore jackthefrilledlizard at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 03:41:27 UTC 2017

Life As We Know It - XV C

“Well I guess you did your best.” Umaro mumbled, turning away from me.
 “There is still one more to go.”
“That’s right” Sotto said, shooting Umaro a withering look, “Just one more
test.  Just channel the spirit I have selected.”  I nodded.  “No time for
rest Janelle. We must begin.”
“Ri-right.”  That last spirit left me mentally exhausted.  And in my bones
I knew this one would be the worst.
There was no way to prepare for this spirit.  When this spirit hit me I
felt something I never expected.  Intense physical pain.  My whole body
began to burn like I had ignited.  I bit my tongue to stop myself from
screaming.  And slowly I pulled the spirit in.
'This spirit…this time is different.' The burning began to move through my
skin, into my muscles.  This time is doomed.
“What is this?” I rasped through gritted teeth.
“Something inhuman.” Sotto said. As if I couldn’t figure that much out on
my own. “It is not like anything you have ever done before.

This spirit didn’t want to give me emotions or memories.  I couldn’t speak
to it.  I could just be burned with the intense pain of these flames.
'Concentrate Janelle.  My knees buckled. Concentrate!' I braced my arm
against the ground.  I could hear Umaro laughing.
“I admit she lasted longer than I expected.  But she collapsed..”
“No part of this test required her to be standing.” Sotto said.  “She is
allowed to collapse in pain from this creature.  I did my first time.”  I
grit my teeth.
'I won’t give you the satisfaction.' Slowly I rolled onto my knees and then
pushed myself up to two legs.  I grinned.
'Oh Eli I will give you anything just make this pain stop.' I resumed
pulling the spirit into my core.  It crossed the halfway point at the
moment the pain became unbearable.
I don’t know how I could continue to pull it inside of me, but I found a
way.  It was drawn deeper and the pain still intensified.  Now I was
screaming in my head.  I might have been screaming externally as well, I
can’t remember.
It’s almost there.  When the spirit entered my core, some unbelievable
warmth began to radiate through me.
“Janelle, are you still in control?” Sotto asked.  My chest began to
constrict. My lungs were on fire, I couldn’t pull any air in.
“I am.” I forced out.
“Spirit, are you there?”  My mouth dropped open like a hinge.  Fire shot
out from inside of my throat.  That’s why I chose to open my eyes.
I wish I hadn’t.
'Wha-wha-wha-what the fu—'My body was on fire.  I could see through the
fire, I could see my skin and clothing just underneath the flames.  They
didn’t burn, but I could feel the fire burning me.
“Don’t fear Janelle.” Sotto shouted.  I ended up screaming anyway.  “Keep
calm Janelle.  You can get through this.”
'How on Earth can I get through this?  I’m on fire!  You set me on fire you
fucking monster!'
“Janelle focus on my voice.” Sotto yelled over the roar of the flames.
 “Find your balance and start to push the spirit out.  My legs were
shaking.  I spread them, anchoring myself better.  “Janelle you don’t have
to” I held up a hand.
“I need to find my balance.” I whispered.  Slowly I began to force the
spirit out of my body.  I began to hurt less but at the same time I began
to lose my focus.  I could feel the spirit just at the edge of my mind,
always about to slip away.
And I wanted it to slip away.  This was like touching fire.  It burned so
badly.  But I pushed on anyway.
Slowly the spirit began to fully emerge from my body.  I held it as best I
could, but touching it filled me with agony.  So I threw it at what I
thought was the jar and hoped for the best.  I opened my eyes.
Mr. Sotto stared at me with a grim visage.  Nothing moved and I could hear
nothing except the roar of blood in my ears.  Slowly though Sotto began to
smile.  From there he applauded, slowly at first and then vigorously.
“You’ve done it Janelle.”  Umaro and Mirna tried holding back scowls I
think, I couldn’t tap their minds and tell.  Maybe I don’t remember
correctly.  They may have applauded.  Sotto though was beaming with joy.
 “You’ve succeeded in your final test.  You are a full Enlightened now.
You should rest.”
“Rest…” I grinned.  “I could really go for that…” My knees buckled.  Sotto
rushed over but I did not collapse.  I was awake.  I had made it.