[Vfw-times] Cassie the Rock Vixen-Stage Sisters ch2 (story in progress)

Rufinoform at aol.com Rufinoform at aol.com
Tue Aug 7 18:29:35 CDT 2001

story in progress

Stage Sisters chapter 2

Written by & copyright of Andrew Cotton

Featuring Laretta Morrigan (Cassie's rhythm guitarist) and Cassie

Cassie, the Rock & Roll Vixen
http://members.aol.com/rufinoform/Cassie.htm
Laretta Morrigan
http://velar.ctrl-c.liu.se/vcl/Artists/Richard-Foley/Laretta2.jpg

Please read chapter three, featuring Laretta, Cassie, and Vixina at
http://members.aol.com/CassieRockVixen2/stage_sisters_ch3.txt

All characters created by & copyright of Earl Bacon except Laretta, who is
created by
and copyright of Andrew Cotton, Alex, who is created by and copyright of
Donna Fritz
and Vixina, who is created by and copyright of Cloudchaser Shaconage.

The cafe was named "Crystalline's," a highly unique eatery that featured
standard fare as
well as eclectic Continental cuisine.  Cassie thought it the ideal place for
a nice lunch
with her new companion.  Furthermore, the day was warm and sunny, making it
irresistible
to eat outdoors.

"The Tex-Mex is great here," the vixen told her lupine companion, as they
looked over
their menus, "but I don't really want to have something spicy in my stomach
before a gig."

Laretta simply nodded, not wanting to debate that point too strongly.  "This
place sure
looks like it has a nice selection.  I've pretty familiar with the club
strip, since
I've played several gigs there, but I've never been to this part of town
before.  I'll
take your word on it," she replied, complementing the vixen.

After the waiter took their orders, the moment was ripe for them to engage in
casual conversation, to let themselves become more familiar with one another
before they
took to the stage.  Cassie was the first to break the ice.

"Like I said before, I heard all of your demo tape.  I'm really impressed.
How did you
learn to play so well?"  Laretta cleared her throat a little, forcing herself
to become
more relaxed in Cassie's presence.  "Well, I got my first real start in the
clubs near
the University, where a lot of new artists go to attract a following.  I
didn't get paid
much for my first few gigs, but it wasn't long before the manager of Zippy's
Cabana*, a
really popular student hangout, noticed I was drawing in regular crowds.  I
started out
by playing variations on the classics - Zeppelin, Hendrix, the Eagles - but I
found out
folks liked it even more when I mixed in Cajun and Country, or 'C & C', I
like to call it.
I think a lot of them were really attracted by my looks, too," she said with
a slight
grin.  It was at this time, though, she noticed the vixen giving her a
somewhat
quizzical look, and she grew slightly self conscious.  "Is something the
matter?"

Cassie snapped out of her gaze, realizing she was causing her lupine
companion worry.
"Huh?  Oh, I'm sorry about that.  I was just captivated by your accent.
It's...different."

"Pardon me?"  Laretta asked, still puzzled.

"Well, I don't mean to pry," Cassie said thoughtfully, "but I can't help
picking up on
little quirks like that.  You see, I only got the brief run-down on you from
Andy.  He
said you were from here in the mid-Texas region, and I could definitely tell
that from
your twang.  But there's something just a little out of place.  Your whole
voice sounds
just too, well, vanilla to be true Texan."

"Oh," Laretta nodded, seeing where she was coming from, "well, I can explain
that.  You
see, I'm not originally from Texas.  I was born and raised in Canada, and
moved here when
I was sixteen. I tried picking up the twang so I wouldn't feel so out of
place among
the locals."

"Aha," Cassie replied, "that sounds quite reasonable.  It's a nice blend you
have
there, really.  I'm sorry if I put you on the spot."

Laretta just smiled and shrugged, "It's all right, Cassie.  We are here to
get to know
each other a little better, aren't we?"  Cassie smiled and nodded in return,
"Well, I'm
glad to see that you're loosening up.  I think there's a lot we can learn
from each other."

The waiter then arrived with their food, Chicken Teriyaki Tacos for Cassie,
and Spinach
Quiche for Laretta.  Both had ordered iced tea to drink, which constituted a
nice light
meal before their performance.

"You know," said Laretta, continuing from the last point, "I actually would
have guessed
from your accent that you were Canadian too.  It sounds so much like the
dialect, but I
didn't want to bother you with asking from where?"

Cassie grinned casually and replied, "I'm actually from Massachusetts.  I
guess it could
be from trying so hard to get it in people's heads that I don't have a Boston
brogue."
She enjoyed her meal momentarily before going on to the next topic on her
mind.  "So,
what brought you down to Texas from the Great White North?" she asked.

Laretta, having eaten some of her food, smiled thoughtfully and replied.  "To
answer that,
I'd have to tell you what drew me into music in the first place.  I've loved
everything
about music ever since I was a cub.  I sang in both school and church choirs,
and won
several awards in talent contests and such.  Plus, I come from a huge family,
and music was
a very important part of our lives. Whenever there was a big family
get-together, we'd
always make music and dance.  My mother, sisters, and I sang, while my father
and
brothers would play musical instruments."  She was only half aware that she
was starting
to trail off, lost in the memories of her youth.

"That actually sounds like my youth,"  Cassie replied, grinning broadly.
"Both of my
parents were musicians, so it was only natural that I'd follow in their
footsteps. How
about you?  Was it the same story?"

"Not really," Laretta replied.  "Music was more of a hobby for most of us.
In fact, I'm
the first one in my family to really pursue it as a professional career.  As
for how I got
to where I am now..." she started, searching for the right phrasing, "It
really started when
I was fourteen.  An older friend from my school took me with her on a trip to
Toronto.  I
was really excited to see the 'big city' for once.  That's where I discovered
my love for
rock and roll."

"How so?" asked Cassie.

"Well, while we were there, we went to see a Rush concert.  It was amazing!
I've never
heard anyone sing like Geddy Lee.  He was just incredible!  And the
guitars..."
Laretta seemed almost entranced. "I fell in love with Alex Lifeson on the
spot.  It's like
he made the guitar come to life!  I couldn't tell whether it was music or
magic I
was hearing!" She really started to become giddy, recalling that she briefly
had a crush
on the guitarist.

Cassie had to laugh at this revelation, "Hey, that's another thing we have in
common!
He's one of my favorite guitarists, too!  So, was that all there was to it?
Rush
inspired your love for rock and roll?"

"Not entirely," Laretta continued, "While we were there, we went to record
stores, and
that's where I discovered all the classics - The Who, Van Halen, the Beatles,
and so
many more.  I just devoured everything I heard!"  She paused slightly with a
coquettish
grin, "Just for fun, she also took me to a specialty clothing store and gave
me a
complete makeover.  I felt funny about it at first, but the look grew on me,
and it's become
a standard for all my performances.  Boy, you should've seen me try to wear
high heels for
the first time.  I could barely walk one block without falling flat on my
face!"  she laughed.

The vixen laughed as well, getting into the conversation.  "So, how did your
parents take
to your new interest in music and fashion?"

"Not very well, unfortunately," Laretta continued, less enthusiastically,
"They just
didn't like rock music and they really didn't like me showing myself off.
They accused me
of 'wasting' my talent.  It was hard not having their support, but I loved my
music too
much to give up on it."

Cassie nodded sympathetically, "I'm sorry to hear that.  My parents were
completely
supportive of career decisions.  Did things just fall apart from there?"

"No, it wasn't that bad," Laretta spoke up, "You see, they're just
conservative,
down-to-earth people.  They knew I'd pursue a career in music, and that I had
a spark
and drive to go through with whatever I wanted to do.  They loved me and
always told me
that they were proud of me for accomplishing the goals I set.  They also made
it
clear, though, that if I was serious about playing rock music, I'd be better
off doing it
away from home.  I wasn't feel very inspired to develop new musical styles in
snowbound, little old Petit-Lac-du-Garreau*, anyway."

"So then what happened?"  Cassie asked.

"Well, I worked for the lumber warehouse where my dad was manager, and also
helped my mom
with her home nursing and midwife practice for a little while.  My oldest
brother Bryan
also taught me how to how to play a guitar.  Once I saved up enough money, I
came here to
live with my brother Edmond and his wife and two kids.  He's a system
administrator of one
of the businesses in town.  They've been very supportive of my career ever
since."

The two companions passed the time chatting amiably among themselves, telling
funny
vignettes about their lives, but nothing too personal.  Cassie seemed to
particularly
enjoy Laretta talking about her growing up with four brothers and two
sisters.  Any life
like that would have to make a girl tough as nails, she thought.  Laretta
fondly recalled
the hockey games she would play with her siblings, and relished the mild
surprise
Cassie expressed from learning she would often play goalie, and that she
planned to
take karate lessons once she had the spare time.

(Earl, if you tell me a couple interesting tidbits about Cassie that would
make for
good, casual conversation, I'd be really grateful.)

"Say Cassie, isn't it about time for us to be getting back to the studio?"
Laretta
asked, noticing how long they had been there.  Cassie checked the time - ten
minutes
until one, and they had hardly finished half their meals.  "Heck, yeah.  Time
sure flies
when you're having fun."  Laretta turned to get money out of her knapsack,
but Cassie
gently dissuaded her.  "Remember, it's my treat," she said with a gentle
smile.

Again, Laretta didn't feel like arguing, so she let Cassie pick up the tab for
their unfinished meal.  She did make a mental note, though, to repay her in
some way.
Their heels clicked on the pavement in a quick staccato rhythm as they
hurried to
Cassie's car, hoping they wouldn't hold things up too much.

"So, Laretta," Cassie asked as they fastened their seat belts, "what would
you feel
like starting out with for our practice session?"  Laretta wasn't quick to
reply, and
answered with what she felt most at ease, "Oh, I'd actually like for you to
pick
out something.  I'm sure there's a lot you'd know, and I'd feel more
comfortable adjusting
to your style."

Cassie nodded, focusing on driving without getting into a fender-bender,
mentally cursing
the less considerate drivers. "Well, don't let me grab all the credit.  You
sound like
you could take the lead pretty well, once you get a good lick going."
Laretta just smiled
and responded evenly, "I know, but I don't want to impose on you.  Once I get
a feel for
your rhythm, I'll have a better idea of what we can play well together."

"I'll find something easy enough for you to pick up on," Cassie replied,
exposing her
fangs slightly with a grin, "I think we're going to have a great time
together."  Laretta
just smiled and nodded back, getting herself in the right mood for the
upcoming session.
She was amazed at how quickly she was becoming friends with Cassie.  Now her
only concern
was how well they would get along on stage.

END OF CHAPTER 2
latest revision: March 11, 2001

*NOTE:  Zippy's Cabana and Petit-Lac-du-Garreau are, to the best of my
knowledge,
fictitious and only casually modeled on the regions in which they would be
located.